If Britain Becomes a Republic,What Happens to the Channel Islands?

I doubt annexation in a peaceful Republic established through legislative reform. The *President would simply take on the titles of Lord of Mann and Duke of Normandy like the French do with Co-Prince of Andorra. The set up works, I can't see any reason to rock the boat.

I'll be addressing this in my current timeline "Let's all go down the Strand", which is a back story/sequel to 1984. I'm quite some way off mentioning the Channel Islands situation at the moment, but it will be along at some point - probably when the main seam of the story reaches the late 1950s...

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=315722

The Channel Islands are part of Oceania. The Channel Islands have always been part of Oceania...

I guess it depends on the context in Britain proper. If it happens around the near term, then I would think that the idea earlier about the President inheriting the status of monarch, like the Andorran example, would be the right fudge.

However in a different Britain, say with the rise of a popular movement, maybe not. Say that Britain has a wave of civil unrest, which gives rise to a popular movement, not necessarily revolutionary, this could easily spread to the dependencies and then end up with some sort of wider settlement, where the local people vote for a change in status. Annexation and federalisation or the like.

I'll be addressing this in my current timeline "Let's all go down the Strand", which is a back story/sequel to 1984. I'm quite some way off mentioning the Channel Islands situation at the moment, but it will be along at some point - probably when the main seam of the story reaches the late 1950s...

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=315722

The Channel Islands are part of Oceania. The Channel Islands have always been part of Oceania...

Wow. The great Will Ritson is paying attention to an idea I broached? I am deeply honored,sir.