How Silent Fall the Cherry Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% agreed, I meant more along the lines that there won't be any ticker-tape parades welcoming everyone back. However, I see a number of new taxes on the industry. And the movie moguls who used to be able to get their stars off the hook in times of crisis will no longer have that option, being they no longer have that sort of pull in LA...

I think that the ones that actually went to the front (as James Stewart, for example) and the ones that stayed in LA (like Chaplin) would be much more respected than the ones that "ran away".
It would certainly influence the casting and the box office of the upcoming movies.

I really liked the heroic status that Chaplin got - Hoover will have real difficults to exile him.

Geon

Donor
I think that the ones that actually went to the front (as James Stewart, for example) and the ones that stayed in LA (like Chaplin) would be much more respected than the ones that "ran away".
It would certainly influence the casting and the box office of the upcoming movies.

I really liked the heroic status that Chaplin got - Hoover will have real difficults to exile him.

It won't be necessarily the stars, directors and the other talent that will get the flak. This was the studio system at its height and you did what you were told if you wanted to keep a job. However, the studio executives are going to pay a price for abandoning LA.

Geon

Last edited:

J.D.Ward

Donor
However one group of would-be burglars received an unpleasant surprise when they attempted to break into one Hollywood home. The LAPD was summoned to the residence by a calm phone call. They arrived to find three burglars bound with a gun being trained on them by one of the legends of Hollywood. Charlie Chaplin, whose silent films had made him a legend, was now to become a much needed hero of the city.

This reads to me as though it has been carefully staged. Can three burglars, almost certainly carrying firearms themselves, be rounded up unaided by one man? I suspect that Chaplin may have had a great deal of help to present himself as a local hero.

FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C.

(sound of banging is heard from inside Hoover's office)

Helen Gandy (Hoover's longtime secretary, IIRC): Mr. Hoover, are you OK?

(She then gets up from her desk and walks into his office. Hoover is holding his head and there are dents on the wall behind Hoover.)

J. Edgar Hoover: I'll be fine. (He sits down wearily, holding his head, looking at the headline SILENT TRAMP HERO IN PLAGUE.)

Seriously, Geon, this is a good TL.

I am dreading what is going to happen to Japan TTL.

Geon

Donor

(She then gets up from her desk and walks into his office. Hoover is holding his head and there are dents on the wall behind Hoover.)

J. Edgar Hoover: I'll be fine. (He sits down wearily, holding his head, looking at the headline SILENT TRAMP HERO IN PLAGUE.)

Thanks I like that mental image! If possible I hope in this TL to give Hoover a few more such "moments." And I appreciate the compliment.

Geon

The irony would be if Hoover and McCarthy end up as plauge victims...

Dialga

Banned
OK, so we're finally getting to the vengeance part. Please tell me this is going to be so destructive for the world at large that it just might show me once and for all that vengeance is evil. (I never fully understood that.)

Carthage = earth salted and nothing grows. I'd bet dollars to pesos it's the worst thing the United States could do to Japan at this point. They're going to drop the rice blight.

Don't forget the entire population was either killed or sold into slavery...

I hadn't thought about that, but that makes perfect sense...

I too like Chaplin being a hero, and that Hoover's having fits. Maybe the FBI loses some power during this time of crisis...

Archibald

Banned
I have a copy of it in the house, and I don't know if I actually want to watch it... :eek::cool:

Marc A

I watched some bits of it on you tube, and my personal advise is: don't watch it if you already felt depressed. It is sad, sad, sad (and sad), and even horrific at times...
(ever asked how it felt to be under the path of 300 B-29s dropping little phosphorus incendiary bombs all over the place ? this anime answer that question... now I understand better why it is said the Tokyo bombing was worse than the atomic bombs.)

This reads to me as though it has been carefully staged. Can three burglars, almost certainly carrying firearms themselves, be rounded up unaided by one man? I suspect that Chaplin may have had a great deal of help to present himself as a local hero.

I don't see why not. Chaplin knows the layout of his own house better than any burglar. He just needs to get behind them and flash up the intertitle "Stop or I'll shoot!"

Status
Not open for further replies.