How far could Vinland grow?

Faeelin

Banned
Net of disease, as it probably knocked a half to a point off annual growth...

large families being the norm afterall.

I don't understand your point; are you disputing that things like the Icelandic smallpox epidemics of the 18th century happened?

Ah! Les brave gens... sniffle

To be fair, neither side feared the other or openly coveted the others' land claims for the first half of that period, British North America and French North America populations were rather closer in size for much of the first half of that period, and in the end France traded Quebec for a single Caribbean sugar island.

Why didn't such a settlement occur in the OTL then?

And why didn't that occur in the OTL too?

all of this has to do much with the hostility of the natives more than anything I would think. Change that and it could well have occurred.

Those, however, are not worthwhile. Supposedly Vinland is growing into something that is. And California is a long way away, as is Texas to a lesser extent - so it's less "resisted English conquest" and more "English conquest didn't reach there".

And remember New Sweden or the Dutch presence in what became New York? That's what we need to compare Vinland to, not Quebec - which has France's might behind it.

Hundreds of thousands of Norse (and even more Iroquois)? Good luck.

all those conquests were made from bases already established in the new World. A transatlantic conquest is out of the question with 15th C naval technology. Cogs and Caravels could simply not carry the men and supplies necessary over such a distance without a counter reponse from the native Vinlanders.

that does not mean of course that an opposing colony could not be established. but it depends on what basis its made. the Spanish/English approach probably won't work as the natives will probably have at least some rudimentary immunities built up by then such that they won't be depopulated from their seaboard homelands. the approach would have to be something more along the French model that attempted to embrace those cultures as part of their own, allowing for them to exploit native rivalries instead which of course will not simply just go away.

By 1300 I would expect many of the european kingdoms at least attempt setting up some trading outposts to try and get past the Vinlander/Norse and probably Hansa monopolies. Irish may well have come earlier under their own initiative, in part to escape the Norse of Norway and because of their continuous contact they are probably the first outside of Norway and Iceland to learn of its existence and the possible opportunity it affords.

Ethnically Norse Vinland is probably limited only to Chignecto perhaps, Annapolis valley perhaps part of Abegweit perhaps... with outlying largely hybrid Norse/native outposts at Chaleur Bay, points along the lower St. Lawrence to trade with the Montagnais and Naskapi as welll as at isolated points along NS south shore and along the Bay of Fundy's north shore as far as Massachusetts Bay. Newfoundland is probaby separate with norse only on the northern tip and hybrid outposts around the remainder of the Island except perhaps on easily defensible islands. Fogo, St. Pierre and Miquelon come to mind.

You probably have two disparate though Norse groups. Vinland proper, and Magna Markoland.

Last edited:
I don't understand your point; are you disputing that things like the Icelandic smallpox epidemics of the 18th century happened?
I'm not disputing anything, but since we are not at the 18thC yet It doesn't really matter does it. I think we are only at the 14th. By the 16th, that 38000 btw would be just under 2 Million. But hey cut that in half for the effects of plague should it be likely to have survived the transatlantic trip from Iceland.

When we look for compelling reasons to migrate to North America in 1000-1300 AD we forget people are usually emigrating away from someplace they can't stay, can't bear to stay, have lost nearly all hope in, or are too crowded to survive. They rarely know much about where they're emigrating to, and often that's mostly wrong. A century ago the main railroad here had salesmen actively soliciting settlers throughout Northern Europe, especially Scandinavia and their surviving brochures grossly exaggerate the climate and soils but were true about hundreds of acres of virgin farmland free and how they'd facilitate getting there. Populated several thousand miles of hostile Indian country during the Indian Wars there (Custer worked for that railroad too) in just several decades and a much longer journey by sailing ship (my greatgrandparents came from Sweden that way), rail, and wagons than we're talking about here (look from Minneapolis, Minnesota to Seattle, Washington...that's the expanse thus populated I'm talking about.)

The Vikings are traders (along with herdsmen, farmers, fishermen, miners, loggers, metalworkers) and would recognize the new sources of high value trade goods from their own experience (walrus and narwhale ivory, ermine/otter/mink/fox/marten/beaver/bear furs, deer/elk/woods bison/moose hides, oak and walnut hardwoods, all of the metallic ores including gold (lots of small placer gold rushes now forgotten), coal, whales/ambegris/whale oil, the great cod fisheries there (with probably Basque fishmermen already working it, when Mark Kurlansky did the math, preColumbian Europe was eating more cod than the known fisheries could produce-only the Grand Banks' cod fishery could fill that size of calorie gap.) The tribes represent an enormous new customer base for European goods/skills even more so than they would 600 years later (far more Indians alive, less of a technology gap between what's being traded, and more of a monopoly than usual.)

Classic trade goods that were already available or makeable by the Vikings would be iron/steel cookware, weapons, hand tools, mirrors, wool/linen/canvas cloth, indigo dye, beer/mead/ale/wine/whiskey, cheese, horses, cattle, cowhide leather, parchment, ink, wagons/wheels/harness, etc.. which'd stimulate North American Norse manufacturing/exploration/trade routes/trading posts/mining/textiles etc. just as it did in the 1600's-1800's OTL while also encouraging continuing and expanding trade with Europe as a market and supplier. Most of the Age of Exploration is about finding new markets for existing goods or new goods for familiar markets...spices, metals, saltpeter, teak, mahogany, coconuts, bananas, tobacco, coffee, cacao, cocaine, opium, sugar cane and rum, cod, amber, steel, etc. and was before that, getting to rob lesser-armed locals was just a mark of bad trading practices (and Leif Ericcsson's first settlers apparently making that mistake with the local Skraelings is an error made hundreds of times in the settling of the Americas (or developing Asia and African trade, stupid but survivable.)

The key element in the fur trade was making one's own alcohol and trading that to a network of Indian traders who brought in the most useful hides for leatherworking (deer, elk, bison) more than the high-value decorative furs traded for beads and blankets that we think of, so the Vikings would be well positioned to do that trading and tanning 700-800 years ahead of OTL.

all those conquests were made from bases already established in the new World. A transatlantic conquest is out of the question with 15th C naval technology. Cogs and Caravels could simply not carry the men and supplies necessary over such a distance without a counter reponse from the native Vinlanders.

Missed this, my bad.

But who said anything about it happening with 15th century naval technology? (OTL) England's first surviving colonies are in the 17th century, for instance.

I agree that founding settler colonies can be hard. That's why I said "if a viable population can get established in the first place".

Newfoundland, New England, the St Lawrence and the Atlantic maritimes are about the easiest places to found them, though.

As OTL showed, quite a few settler colonies which were attempted to be established in North America failed. Once established, though, the population growth in North American settler colonies was very high.

Not without a healthy flow of immigration as well, however. And most of them had more backing them up than Vinland does.

Vinland facing the equivalent of King Philip's War is in a much dicier position than New England was - the tech gap is narrower (especially if iron working is spread) and support from home is even lower.

Something like that isn't a given, but depending on how the natives are impacted, isn't necessarily unlikely either.

I could have been clearer, but I was referring to the climate of the maritimes as a whole (as was mentioned in the previous post you quoted). Newfoundland is harsher than the rest of the maritimes, but not so cold to be unlivable.
Gotcha. I made the mistake of thinking you were comparing it to the potential locations (coming from the Atlantic) in general.

The advantage of the cold is that most diseases don't thrive there. Partly due to the effects on the disease organisms themselves, and also the cold makes up for some of the lack of modern sanitation. Which is why on the whole diseases didn't hit Scandinavia as hard as they hit further south.

In OTL North American settler colonies, the further south in which people went, the worse diseases were in terms of getting established. Virginia was much worse than New York, and South Carolina was worse than Virginia.
On the other hand, colder areas support life in general less well - although hot isn't too good either.

So if I had to pick an ideal location, Pennsylvania and New York are ones I'd prefer - overall - to South Carolina or Massachusetts.

Iron technology plus domesticated animals, at a level which is sustainable in North America. While ironworking isn't a magic solution which immediately gives the Norse victory over the local inhabitants, it is a force multiplier. And ironworking was easily conducted using available local sources of iron; the OTL settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows used iron created from locally available bog iron.
It's not enough to have a sizable advantage, however, unless there's a lot of iron-wearing and wielding Norse. As in, a lot of the Norse are doing so.

You need (stating the obvious I think, but trying to explain why I'm not convinced it's a huge thing) a surplus of iron over that needed for tools and other nonmartial uses to have any sizable number of armor wearing, sword wielding (or even war axe wielding) Norse. That may be more of a problem.

Even back home, having a sword or a coat of mail is for the rich.

If memory serves. Meaning that I didn't have exact figures in front of me, but I've tracked some down sources (see below).

Essentially, before Louis XIV reformed colonial administration in New France, starting about 1662-1663, there were only a handful of permanent settlers. The population trebled within a decade after that, although not all of those were permanent settlers (some came home). The effective founding population was somewhere between 2500-5000. (One of the genetic studies I reference below suggests 2500+ founders).

And my apologies, it looks like the increase was mostly over a decade or so, not five years.

I was working from memory of previous discussions in soc.history.what-if. A bit of digging tracked down the original thread here).

The original post there is by Doug Muir, who in my experience knows his stuff. His main points are readily confirmed elsewhere, though. Here and here are a couple of pages about Louis XIV's reorganisation of New France and the growth in population.

Other sources confirm the main descent of the francophone population of Quebec. Here and here are a couple of genetic studies which refer to the founder effect of the seventeenth-century population of francophone Quebec. Here, too, is a reference to Louis XIV's efforts to increase the population of Quebec. It lists further written sources, which are however in French.

I can track down more sources if you need.
Will read those and get back to you, but it should do for now.

For the level of technology involved, yes, it would be self-sufficient. Iron and timber are the main requirements. Iron ore is locally available (bog iron), and there's timber aplenty, at least for the first few generations. If the population expands enough that deforestation becomes an issue, there is plenty more trees - and land - available on the mainland.
Iron and timber and some source of cloth (for sails even if clothes can and probably would be mostly fur).

Likewise, I'm not sure if there's enough farmland on Newfoundland itself for a couple of hundred thousand people, though fishing would also be a major source of food. But provided that the colony gets established over the first few generations - and there's enough farmland for that - then it could expand from there as needed.
And that gets us into founding new settlements, which may thrive, fail, compete with Vinland itself . . .

Of course, I'm not positing as high a population growth rate as Quebec either, but as I mentioned, even a touch over 1% a year would lead to 200,000+ people within 450 years. OTL settler colonies in such latitudes as Newfoundland/Quebec/Atlantic Maritimes had higher population growth rates than that via natural increase alone.
This is something that if your sources above don't list it I'd like to see - how much of that increase has occurred in the last century and a half ( since modern medicine and other life-increasing factors)?

Last edited:
Vinland facing the equivalent of King Philip's War is in a much dicier position than New England was - the tech gap is narrower (especially if iron working is spread) and support from home is even lower.
Yes. Which is why Vinlanders would not make their initial settlement in New England.
On the other hand, colder areas support life in general less well - although hot isn't too good either.

So if I had to pick an ideal location, Pennsylvania and New York are ones I'd prefer - overall - to South Carolina or Massachusetts.

It's not enough to have a sizable advantage, however, unless there's a lot of iron-wearing and wielding Norse. As in, a lot of the Norse are doing so.
The most vital advantage of the Norse would not be iron.

It would be cool summer plants - barley, rye, oats, turnips...

Where the Norse first settle, they would be farmers settling on the lands of pure hunter-gatherers, because it would be lands where summers are too cool for maize. And this means that, area for area, they by far outnumber the locals. Yes, over extended area the hunter-gatherer bands outnumber them; but the farmers can delimit and defend a small area of limited value for the far-away hunter-gatherers, and besides fighting the hunter-gatherers they can afford to pay off/compensate the locals. So one major trade would be the Norse selling grain (and beer) to the locals in return for wild game meat the locals have hunted.

This greatest force multiplier is also one which is not applicable where summers are warm enough for at least marginal cultivation of maize. So anything south of New England is out, such as New York or Pennsylvania.
Iron and timber and some source of cloth (for sails even if clothes can and probably would be mostly fur).
Also the Norse would sell cloth to Indians, as much as they would find trade items in return.

Yes. Which is why Vinlanders would not make their initial settlement in New England.

The problem still stands though. King Philip's War was picked as an example of a bloody conflict with the natives we can actually examine (as opposed to how our knowledge of the "Skraelings" is fairly scanty).

The most vital advantage of the Norse would not be iron.

It would be cool summer plants - barley, rye, oats, turnips...

Where the Norse first settle, they would be farmers settling on the lands of pure hunter-gatherers, because it would be lands where summers are too cool for maize. And this means that, area for area, they by far outnumber the locals. Yes, over extended area the hunter-gatherer bands outnumber them; but the farmers can delimit and defend a small area of limited value for the far-away hunter-gatherers, and besides fighting the hunter-gatherers they can afford to pay off/compensate the locals. So one major trade would be the Norse selling grain (and beer) to the locals in return for wild game meat the locals have hunted.

Do they have an ample supply of seeds? Is the farmland up to supporting enough to provide a surplus of these crops? Etc.

Plus, I see you're trying to draw away from the issue of how much the Norse have an advantage from having iron by saying "Oh, well, that's not important."

This greatest force multiplier is also one which is not applicable where summers are warm enough for at least marginal cultivation of maize. So anything south of New England is out, such as New York or Pennsylvania.

Also the Norse would sell cloth to Indians, as much as they would find trade items in return.

Again, are they going to be able to produce a sufficient surplus for trade?

The problem still stands though. King Philip's War was picked as an example of a bloody conflict with the natives we can actually examine (as opposed to how our knowledge of the "Skraelings" is fairly scanty).
Yes, and contrast the bloody conflicts the Quebec French had with their southern, agricultural neighbours the Iroquois with the lack of conflict with the hunter-gatherer Montagnais to their north.
Do they have an ample supply of seeds? Is the farmland up to supporting enough to provide a surplus of these crops? Etc.
Greenland had to import their seeds, but we have archeological evidence that they sometimes produced crops. If Newfoundland has enough of a summer to reproduce seeds and leave a crop for consumption, you can expect that some of the grain would be traded to Indians. (Grain is a useful, easily stored carbohydrate food to diversify meat and fish diet of hunter-gatherers, or herders. Which the Norse would also be eating if they end up with shortfall of grain, as in Greenland and Iceland.)
Plus, I see you're trying to draw away from the issue of how much the Norse have an advantage from having iron by saying "Oh, well, that's not important."
No, it is very important. Since the Norse do not have guns to supplement iron, and they have much fewer diseases than 17th century English (and are more vulnerable to them themselves), they cannot win an extermination style war against numerous maize growing Indians like 17th century Virginia, New England or Upper Great Lakes. Which is why they know they cannot settle in regions where such maize growers live. They will limit themselves to settling in regions of pure hunter-gatherers, where the natives are few enough to fight or buy off with iron alone (and monopoly of farming).
Again, are they going to be able to produce a sufficient surplus for trade?

The export goods of 13th century Greenland were listed as including, besides seals and ivory, rope sheep and cattle hides. Which Europe had and which therefore were cheap in Europe.
In Iceland, standard woolen cloth, vadhmal, was defined by law as medium of exchange and standard of value.

Since Eastern North America had no woven textiles - nearest weavers were Pueblo cotton growers, the Eastern North America was limited to furs and bark cloth - even if cloth was scarce in Vinland, the Norse would trade away some of their woollen textiles they´d be producing, in return for furs.

Yes, and contrast the bloody conflicts the Quebec French had with their southern, agricultural neighbours the Iroquois with the lack of conflict with the hunter-gatherer Montagnais to their north.

A growing Vinland (defined as Norse *America, not *Newfoundland specifically) is going to have to face both, however.

Greenland had to import their seeds, but we have archeological evidence that they sometimes produced crops. If Newfoundland has enough of a summer to reproduce seeds and leave a crop for consumption, you can expect that some of the grain would be traded to Indians. (Grain is a useful, easily stored carbohydrate food to diversify meat and fish diet of hunter-gatherers, or herders. Which the Norse would also be eating if they end up with shortfall of grain, as in Greenland and Iceland.)
I can expect that we haven't even established that they're going to have a reliable food supply from grains for their own needs (key word being reliable - having a few good harvests doesn't mean they can expect to have enough and then some), let alone enough left over to trade for other things.

I'm not saying there would never be trade, but that's not the same as a regular fall swap of grain for fish.

No, it is very important. Since the Norse do not have guns to supplement iron, and they have much fewer diseases than 17th century English (and are more vulnerable to them themselves), they cannot win an extermination style war against numerous maize growing Indians like 17th century Virginia, New England or Upper Great Lakes. Which is why they know they cannot settle in regions where such maize growers live. They will limit themselves to settling in regions of pure hunter-gatherers, where the natives are few enough to fight or buy off with iron alone (and monopoly of farming).
And of course the Norse will know this as well as we do, will not have any issues of overconfidence in themselves or their tech advantage, and will in general act like they know what they're doing in regards to how to treat the natives and offshoot colonies.

The export goods of 13th century Greenland were listed as including, besides seals and ivory, rope sheep and cattle hides. Which Europe had and which therefore were cheap in Europe.
In Iceland, standard woolen cloth, vadhmal, was defined by law as medium of exchange and standard of value.

Since Eastern North America had no woven textiles - nearest weavers were Pueblo cotton growers, the Eastern North America was limited to furs and bark cloth - even if cloth was scarce in Vinland, the Norse would trade away some of their woollen textiles they´d be producing, in return for furs.
Newfoundland is not Iceland or Greenland, though. And if cloth is scarce in Vinland, having enough left after meeting their needs to trade is an issue.

Faeelin

Banned
chornedsnorkack;7124725This greatest force multiplier is also one which is not applicable where summers are warm enough for at least marginal cultivation of maize. So anything south of New England is out said:
Hrm. While I agree with you to an extent, I would not overlook the fact that if you look at human history in general, ironworkers tend to displace less advanced peoples.

By 1200 the Norse wouldn't be a band of 3,000 people along the coatss of Newfoundland; they'd be a major ethnic group in Norhteastern NOrth America.

An interesting question; what's your research on grain yields for Newfoundland told you thus far?

they cannot win an extermination style war against numerous maize growing Indians like 17th century Virginia, New England or Upper Great Lakes. Which is why they know they cannot settle in regions where such maize growers live.

In the short term, I agree. But agian, by 1300 I could see population pressure on other areas as well.

It's noteworthy that the Sagas show two things being traded with the Skraelings; milk and cloth.

An interesting question; what's your research on grain yields for Newfoundland told you thus far?

I'm not the one presenting the argument that they would be sufficient.

It's noteworthy that the Sagas show two things being traded with the Skraelings; milk and cloth.

Although it would be interesting to see how that holds up in the long term, speaking for myself.

You guys seem to be assuming that the Vinlanders wouldn't get very far. History, however, shows that agriculture+free land (=natives to weak to defend it) leads to a population explosion. Isolated from disease and with as much land as he can work the typical Vinlander would have half a dozen kids growing up at least, and they would all go off to found/conuqer their own farms when they come of age restarting the cycle. This is what happened historically in Quebec, North America, South Africa, Australia etc. There is no reason this wouldn't happen a few hundred years earlier, especially not in a culture were second sons have for centuries been expected to go forth and conquer.

Assume a founding population of 500 people and an average population growth of 3 percent per year: that gives a 1.3 billion Norse by the time Columbus comes around. 500*1.03^500. Try it yourself

Obviously I'm not saying there will be a billion Norse by 1492, growth would run into constraints before that, but assuming a Norse society that manages to transplant their complete tech kit I wouldn't be suprised if they are worshipping Odin Skyfather in Oregon by then, and the blood-drenched lords of Aztlan are blue-eyed, blond axe-wielders whose long-ships appeared out of the North in an unexpected deluge 200 years previously.

After all the Anglo-Saxons got that far with pretty much the same agricultural tech in less then half that time. History has shown that agriculture beats hunter gathering, and iron-wielders replace stone-agers. Exponential growth baby.

Last edited:
You guys seem to be assuming that the Vinlanders wouldn't get very far. History, however, shows that agriculture+free land (=natives to weak to defend it) leads to a population explosion. Isolated from disease and with as much land as he can work the typical Vinlander would have half a dozen kids growing up at least, and they would all go off to found/conuqer their own farms when they come of age restarting the cycle. This is what happened historically in Quebec, North America, South Africa, Australia etc. There is no reason this wouldn't happen a few hundred years earlier, especially not in a culture were second sons have for centuries been expected to go forth and conquer.

"(N)atives too weak to defend it" is not something they can rely on. Not even close.

And isolated from disease? Not going to happen in any environment.

Quebec, North America, etc. were with a higher tech level on the part of the conqueror-settlers and still encountered difficulties.

Assume a founding population of 500 people and an average population growth of 3 percent per year: that gives a 1.3 billion Norse by the time Columbus comes around. 500*1.03^500. Try it yourself

Obviously I'm not saying there will be a billion Norse by 1492, growth would run into constraints before that, but assuming a Norse society that manages to transplant their complete tech kit I wouldn't be suprised if they are worshipping Odin Skyfather in Oregon by then. After all the Anglo-Saxons got that far with pretty much the same agricultural tech in just 200 years. Exponential growth baby.

Pretty much not the same agricultural tech as 1000 AD.

By 1200 there would probable be around 2-400 000 Norse spread up and down the coast of North America, divided in various confederations and strongholds but with a common sense of identity and a culture built around the concept of going Viking: were second sons would set out every few years would set sail under a charismatic leader, going down the coast and up the river seizing new land for themselves. By then everything between the Atlantic and the Appalachian would be under Norse dominion if not yet settled. Give it a another hundred years however and the concept of Viking will have become very land-bound as the Vinlanders stream inland, conquering the Ohio valley and the Great Lakes, with city-states and kingdoms starting to form in the increasingly densely settled coastal areas. As they stream further West expect the rise of a cossack or mongol-like culture on the Great Plain

"(N)atives too weak to defend it" is not something they can rely on. Not even close.

And isolated from disease? Not going to happen in any environment.

Quebec, North America, etc. were with a higher tech level on the part of the conqueror-settlers and still encountered difficulties.

Not significantly. The Indian Wars seems laughable from a European perspective. While the puritans were playing Pocahontas, The Disney Version the descendants of the Vikings were putting half of Germany to death.

And its very likely that a small founding population like this one will leave a lot of the Continents diseases behind them, while the low density/high carb lifestyle they are likely to follow will further reduce the risk of disease.

Whats the odds anyway that someone is carrying measles, smallpox, the black death etc in a group of 500 at the time? Does anyone have any idea?

Pretty much not the same agricultural tech as 1000 AD.
Pretty much actually.

Not significantly. The Indian Wars seems laughable from a European perspective. While the puritans were playing Pocahontas, The Disney Version the descendants of the Vikings were putting half of Germany to death.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here after trying to sort out the stuff that's merely confusing from the stuff that's inaccurate.

Pretty much actually.
No, not pretty much. The crops may be the same, but not the tech level or other factors. And that does matter.

That I'm sure Vinlanders wouldn't mind a battle, and were quite good at it.

Yes, tech improved, but compared to the natives they are still so very far ahead. Its like the 1950s vs the 1850s instead of the 2000s vs the 1850s.

That I'm sure Vinlanders wouldn't mind a battle, and were quite good at it.

Yes, tech improved, but compared to the natives they are still so very far ahead. Its like the 1950s vs the 1850s instead of the 2000s vs the 1850s.

And the natives aren't exactly slouches either.

And compared to the natives, we're looking at a much narrower tech gap - especially in war making - ironworking doesn't mean all that much when armor and swords are beyond the reach of the average freeman.