House of Avesnes unify the Low Countries

Friesische_Seelande_um_1300.png

William II, Count of Hainaut
was William IV of Avesnes, William IV of Holland and William III of Zeeland from 1337, succeeding his father, William I. He married Joanna, Duchess of Brabant and Limburg in 1334.
William fought in France as an ally of the English (he was the brother-in-law of Edward III). He went on crusade against the Saracens and the Lithuanians.
From 8 May to 22 June 1344 He besieged Utrecht, because his one-time favourite bishop John van Arkel of Utrecht had turned against him, resulting in small teritorial gains for Utrecht and all lands of the Bsihopric become defact a protectorate of Holland, as it where before Bishop Jan van Arkel.
May 1345 Start of the conquest of the Frisianlands. The abby of Saint Odulphus reinforced as a Castle from were the comming years all frissian lands were conquerd. Castle Odulphus would be increased over time and was the first of what become a whole string of castles in Frisia as a mean to subject the Frisians.
By 1347 all Frisian lands recongnised William as their lord.
In order to pay this costly entreprise more towns were granted city rights or places already granted with city rights were able to extend their privileges, this included places in the recently subjected Frisian lands.
Representatives of several cities made part of the council of Hillegom, the hof of Holland.

Last edited:
The Low Countries around 1347. County of Berg on the East bank if the river Rhine is not depicted
703px-Political_map_of_the_Low_Countries_(1349)-NL A.png

Last edited:
County of Loon, become part of the house of Brabant-Limburg
After the death of Louis IV count of Loon.
Diederik van Heinsberg, the son of Louis's, sister, claimed the title of Count of Loon, declaring heir with the help of Jan III of Brabant.
Even before his death, Louis had appointed him as a successor. The chapter of the St. Lambrecht cathedral in Liège, of which Loon was borrowed, refused to appoint him. The judgment chapter was based on a decision of the Rijksdag van Frankfurt (13 August 1246), according to which all the loans of a church fall back in their possession if the vassal dies childless.
Because Loon was also a sword lend according to the old German custom, Diederik could not get his uncle's legacy through his mother, said the chapter. It made 40,000 guilders free for the conquest of Loon and asked and received Pope's support in Avignon, Benedict XII.
The Liège cities supported the requirement of the chapter, but the Liège nobles preferred a different hereditary habit, whereby sisters and sons could inherit borrowed goods. The prince bishop of Liège himself, Adolf van der Mark, was a brother of Diederik and initially did not want conflict with his own family, and also waived the requirements of his chapter.
As the Pope raised pressure on the Prince bishop to claim Loon for the Church, Diederik was appointed on April 12, 1336, as Count of Wages by Emperor Lodewijk de Beier.
Adolf did occupy on city, but that was more symbolic than strategic act and on August 13, 1337 he received a new pope reminder to completely indemnify Loon.
As soon as Diederik heard the requirement to give up his county to the Church of Liège, on December 19th, 1337, he turned to Liege arch enemy, Brabant. He concluded a military alliance with Duke Jan III, in which they decided to support each other if one of them was attacked, especially by Liège.
Thus, Diederik became the Count as he arranged under the wings of the Duke of Brabant and the Emperor; In Chiny he was undisputed country governor.
Godfried van Loon-Heinsberg, Diederik's only son, died in 1342; His succession therefore became uncertain. When Diederik himself deid in the winter of 1347 which started a second war of succession.

William follows Jan III van Brabant in the battle near Hamont (31 July 1347) against Liege. The battle is a disaster for Brabant and Holland/ Hainaut.
A year later Jan III again with support of William defeat the Liegious in a battle a and succesful besiege Liege. The church have to give up all claims to the county of Loon and the County of Loon will become a heriadaty of the Dukes of Brabant and the Count of Limburg, endorsed by the Emperor in 1350.
Jan III become Duke of Brabant, Count of Limburg and Loon.
Ciney was already sold by Diederik in order to pay for the war expenses.

Last edited:
1348-1350 the Black Death arrives in the Low Countries and kills aproximate one third of the population and cause great social distrubances.

Death of Jan III Duke of Brabant, count of Limburg and Loon.
Jan's both son's died, Hendrik in 1349 who was made Count of Limburg and later Godfried in 1352 According to his will, his eldest daughter Johana of Brabant and her husband William Iv of Holland, Hainaut and Frisia, inherited all his titles and lands.
How ever this was disputed by Louis of Male, Lodewijk van Male, count of Flanders maried with the second daughter of Jan, Margaretha van Brabant. And Wenceslaus I,Duke of Luxembourg whichwas maried with the third daughter Maria van Brabant.
Wenseclas was paid of in 1356 with the Lordship of Turnhout and a yearly interrest.
Louis of Male, hous of Dampiere, invaded twice succesful Brabant ocupied Maline, Brussles Anwerp and Louvain. Deafeted William IV in 1356 in a battle.
Witht he treaty of Aat, Louis acuired the Lordship of Maline and Antwerp. He also callled him self duke of Brabant but this was not recognized.
In Januaty 1356 Johana of Brabant and William had their Joyous Entry in the cities of Brabant, recognizing the charters of liberties to the burghers of the Duchy of Brabant.
The Joyous Entry could be considered in significance an equivalent of the Magna Carta.
A few years later William count of Holland, Zeeland, Hainaut and Frissia died. He was succeded by his only son the 16 year old William. The young man become Duke of Brabant, Count of Holland, Zeeland, Frisia, Limburg and Loon. He was the second son of the couple,an other son also called William died at young age before his birth.

703px-Political_map_of_the_Low_Countries_1358.png

Last edited:
Ducy of Gelre
Reginald III of Guelders (French: Rainaud or Renaud, known as "The Fat") May 13, 1333 was Duke of Guelders and Count of Zutphen from 1343 to 1361,. He was the son of Reginald II of Guelders and of Eleanor of Woodstock, daughter of Edward II of England.

With the death of his father in 1343, his mother held the regency until 1344.
In 1347 William arranged a mariage of his sister, Isabella, with Reinould III of Gelre. This was agreed between one of the two custodians of Reinoud, John of Valken burg. Much to the dismay of Edward III of England (uncle of Reinoud ) and Reinouds mother, his second custodian.
From 1350, his younger brother Edward (Named after his uncle King Edward II of England) asserted his rights and a brother war of succession burst out between the two brothers which colided with a long bloody rivalry between two factions within the ducality.
The brother war ended in 1361 when Edward imprissioned his older brother Renginald in a room in Caslte Nijenbeek. Although Reginals was maried with he sisiter of Willam IV of Holland he barely received real support. Main reason was that William was occupied with he succession war of Brabant after the death of his father in law Jan III Duke of Brabant, Limburg and Loon.

The Battle of the Three Dukes or the Battle of Beasweiler (22 August 1371),

Attacks on Brabant's commercial interests in the territory of the Duke of Jülich (Gullik) had almost caused war in 1367 and 1369. After mercenaries robbed a number of Brabantine merchants on the territory of William II, Duke of Jülich(Gullik) in 1371, William refused to pay reparation to William IV Holland, Hainaut the new duke of Brabant and husband of the Duchess of Brabant, let alone punish the mercenaries, instead William of Julich (Gullik) protecting the mercenaries and even hiring some.

William of Holland prepared his forces and tried to attack the Duke of Jülich. William however sought help from his brother in law, Edward, Duke of Guelders.

On 20 August, William of Holland and his 16 year old son, led his army from the border town of Maastricht towards the enemy capital of Jülich. The army advanced slowly, burning and looting as it went and by the evening of 21 August was encamped near the town of Baesweiler north of Aachen.

On 22 August, the Duke of Brabant' army, of 2500 men-at-arms and small number of militia infantry, was confronted by the smaller force of the Duke of Jülich, 1600 men-at-arms and a smaller number of militia infantry.

Two different versions of what happened next are recorded. In one, the army of Jülich attacked in the morning while the Brabant forces were at mass. In the other, the army of Brabant had the best of the fighting until the late appearance of the troops of the Edward Duke of Guelders, perhaps from ambush. The battle ended with the death of the Duke of Brabant and the death of the Duke of Guelders. The Brabantine troops fled the field and Willima fo Avesnes son managed to escape.

Supporters of Reginald of Guelres made use of the sudden death of Edward of Guelres and apointed Reginald back as Duke of Guerles. Only Reginald had become so corpulent that he didn't fit true the door of the room of the catstle, where he was imprissond, hence his nick name ''The Fat''

Last edited:
Succesion troubles of William V, Duke of Brabant, Count of Holland, Zeeland, Frisia, Limburg and Loon

The count of Limburg, after he had lost the succession dispute of the duchy of Lower Lorraine to the count of Leuven (also count of Brussels and landgrave of Brabant), was allowed the personal title of duke. However the ruler of Limburg, unlike the duke of Lower Lorraine and duke of Brabant, which succeeded Lower Lorraine, was not a Prince of the Empire (Reichsfürst).

Consider the following I thought I once had.
Perhaps when the count of Gelre & Zutphen had won the war of succession of Limburg and not like IOTL the duke of Brabant, TBH as a proud Brabantian I prefer OTL over the ATL I'm suggesting. Still a combination of the small duchy of Limburg with the counties of Gelre and Zutphen (though the latter was allodial), could have lead to the duchy of Limburg & county of Zutphen, with a ruler, who was recognized as Prince of the Empire. Since this will very likely prevent that Gelre will be elevated to a duchy, though at the same time TTL Limburg will be different from OTL Limburg.

As for Frisia, that might be the basis for an eventual future Royal Crown. Sure like Bohemia, it would an Imperial Fief, but IMHO the house of Avesnes would be more open to such a deal, than OTL Philip the Good and Charles the Bold.

@Parma: when will Brabant get Antwerpen back and by extension the lordship of Mechelen? Or will the house of Avesnes end up inheriting the possessions of the house of Dampierre in the Low Countries, since I'm sure that in some cases France might intervene, so the counties of Nevers and Rethel in exchange for Flanders and the acceptance of the succession in Artois. Not to mention the County Palatine of Burgundy (AKA Franche Comté) will they inherit it, or will that end up in the hands of another claimant like the duke of Burgundy?

Last edited:
Janprimus,

Thanks for the comment. I was toggeling with the idea of Gelre surviving and carving out an own state in the 16th century.

I was envisoning several troubles in the comming century as happended in OTL multiple times.Since William IV survives the Frisians, the defacto civil war in Holland, wich errupted after his sudden death, is not happening, never the less the discontent of the of the more and more whealthy citizens and the more end more empoverising Nobilities is not stopped, this also count for the rivalries in between the varouis factions in Frisia and the a re-emerging whish for independence.
I am still not knowing if there will be a connection between the houses of Avesnes and Dampiere since the latter were already closer to the French ruling houses, while the Avesnes were more leaning to the Emperors.
I do have to admit it is more and more complicated to see the connections and possible devergences between all this ruling Houses. All war fare and diplomacy is nothing more than a huge, scrupulus, family feud over power and land. The succes of one County a bove an other all came back on the personalities and qualities of the ruler.

The opportunity to connect Flanders and Artois with the Avesnes possesions will be only at the end of the 15 or beginning of the 16 century.

If fear that the end of the 15th, beginning 16th century could be dangerously late.

The connection between the houses of Avesnes and Dampierre, is the house of Flanders from which they both descend maternally. Also the house of Avesnes originated in Hainaut, whereas the house of Dampierre originated in the Champagne. The ruling of king Louis IX of France effectively settled the disputed succession of Flanders and Hainaut between the half brothers John of Avesnes and William of Dampierre, the former ended up with the county of Hainaut, an Imperial fief, and the latter got the county of Flanders, a French fief. This also had an effect on their dynastic policies, the house of Avesnes initially turned to the Empire to advance their dynastic claims on Flanders (by the point of this TL these are rather distant) and the inheritance of the counties of Holland & Zeeland made their position in the Empire stronger. After the county of Flanders and the lordship (Seigneurie) of Dampierre, the house of Dampierre managed to gain the counties of Namur (margraviate, an imperial fief), Nevers, Rethel and Franche Comté (an imperial fief).

As for No 'Hoekse and Kabeljauwse Twisten' AKA Hook and Cod Wars in the county of Holland, this will also have an effect outside of Holland. Many of the noble houses on the losing side IOTL went into exile to neighbouring principalities (by this point both the duke of Brabant and the count of Holland had the rank/dignity of a Prince of the Empire) like the duchy of Brabant, this might have an effect on the houses of Duivenvoorde and Polanen, which in turn will have an effect of the house of Nassau-Dillenburg (not to mention Orange-Nassau). Though the later legitimated bastard Willem of Duivenvoorde had been active in the border region between Holland and Brabant, so he might still acquire the high lordship (barony) of Breda. After reading how he managed to do so, it reminded me of the way the house of Hohenzollern ended up getting the electorate of Brandenburg from Sigismund of Luxembourg. Both financed their lieges and eventually received a valuable fief as a payment (usually they got it as a pledge first and only got to keep it, if the loan was not repaid). Any the OTL exile could have affected their strategies and (at least for a while) have shifted the focus to lands, where they were still welcome.
I'll admit, I've always been more interested in the history of the duchy of Brabant, than the county of Holland, moreover Dutch history education in schools is too much focused on Holland and pays too little attention to other important principalities such of Gelre and Brabant, then again the whole period isn't covered that well really.

Last edited:
Thank you for yor comment, I will take notice of your comment that late 14th early 15th century will be too late to unite Flanders with other parts of the Low Countries.
I am afraid that getting in details as houses as Duivenvoorde become too complicated, however ''minor'' houses can become major players.
I find it difficult to use the obvius effects a non Hook and Cod war will influence other events. The war have a rather silly name, but it was a long, brutal civil war kind of conflict whith large a nd lon asting effects.
It is hard to find easlable acesseble and understandble info, since the whole conflict seems verry blurr to me.
I can not for see as well wath the effects are on the Frissian lands if not ''free'' but part of a personel possession of a Lord.
I agree that scholar history is too focussed on Holland, on the other hand the dynastic strugles of the 13th to the 15 century is verry different, but highly interesting, and facinating.
I do think I will make and other version were Gelre or Cleve will carve out a surviving nation.

With too late I basically meant after the 100 Years' War. After that conflict has ended France will mostly likely be strong enough to prevent peripherical, though rich, regions, from leaving the French realm. Before that, a situation where the last male ruler of the house of Dampierre is left with only daughters, then the house of Avesnes might manage to marry a Dampierre heiress, while the ruling house in Burgundy would also be interested in such a match. The house of Avesnes could be able to get to get Flanders and other Low Countries possessions such as Mechelen, if they're lucky they might get Artois, but that would be much more difficult.
Another claimant or claimants would get Nevers, Rethel, Franche Comté and maybe Artois too. The margraviate of Namur had passed to a cadet branch of the house of Dampierre.

At 1st of September 1371 William V of Avesnes, become oficial, by recognistion of the Emperor; William Duke of Lothier, Brabant & Limburg; count of Hainaut, Holland, Zeeland, Frisia & Loon.
A week later he made his Joyous Entry in Brussels, recognizing the charters of liberties to the burghers of the Duchy of Brabant.
William V was nearly from the start of his reign, confronted by civil unrest in Holland and Frissia. In Holland the emerging cities, how ever small compared to the cities in Brabant and Flanders, demanded more rights and invluences in exchange for their taxation. The cities were supported by a part of the nobility who, in order to keep assured of income, were intermarried withing merchant families.This resulted in two factions in the county of Holland, fighting each other.In Frisia a sentiment of independece emerged in conjuction with rivalirng Frisian factions. With the suport, moslty financila, of Brabant and Loon, William managed to suppress the multiple rivolts. With a policy of the stick and the carrot was Holland and later Frisia back under control. More towns in Holland and Frisia, were granted right and liberties and the other cities saw their right expanding. In order to increase control there were several instution installed as was already in Brabant, like a chamber of the echequer, which in turn needed to report to an over all chamber of echequer. This was the start of a process of centralisation in an attempt to get his possession bound together and under a more firm central rule.

Last edited:
The titularture of the duke of Brabant after the battle of Woeringen (Worringen) was duke of Lothier, Brabant and Limburg. ITTL William would be duke of Lothier, Brabant & Limburg; count of Hainaut, Holland, Zeeland, Frisia & Loon, since duke is a higher title than count, this may not always be in line with the actual situation in terms of power.
Also the title duke of Lothier was so important, since it signified, that Brabant was the continuation/successor of the old (stem) duchy of Lower Lorraine.

Thank you, much appriciated information. I will revise the previous update.
I am a bit strugeling with marriages, since William is too close relative to marry, Margareta van Male. She will marry with Phillip the Bold. I am contemplating to marry William with a Wittelsbach, also close family but might be not too close for that time. And then some daughters of him whihc he can marry to the House of Gullik, as a peace treaty, Kleef and or Luxembourg and of course Valois

Karte_Haus_Burgund_1.png

Mariage policies.
Even the House of Avesnes and the House of Dampiere were rivals for generations William IV did pursue to mary his only son to Margaretha of Male the only child of the Count of Flanders Louis of Male and his wife Margaretha of Brabant. Due to policies and diplomatic presure of Louis' mother , Margaretha of France, any arangment attemps with the House of Avesnes or other Houses become fruiless. Inital Margaretha of Male was married with Filips van Rouvres but he diedat 15 years age of the plage. Manly due to the machinations of Margareha of France Marharetha of Male was married with Philips of Valois, Duke of Burgundy and brother of Charles V king of France. The vast amound of moneey offered to Louis of Male and the return of several lands back to Flanders aslo were determined factors. William of Avesnes rather poor due to the expensive Frissian conquest, lavish life style and the ''Summer" cruisades to the Baltic lands.
Margaretha of Male, would not only inherrit the most urbanised and prosperos part of Europe but by her grand mother Margaretha of France the county of Burgundy ( next to the ducy of Burgundy) Artois, Nevers and Rethel.
William V was married, in 1363, with Sophia, the only child of Johan of Cleves and his wife Mechteld of Gelre ( daughter of Reginald II of Gelre) (couple was childless in OTL)

Last edited:
@Parma: No sons for Willem? A cool match for him to marry would be the daughter of Wilhelm of Bavaria-Straubing and Matilda of Lancaster. Born in 1355, she died in infancy, plus she gives connections to both the empire and England through her parents, if you are set on a Wittelsbach marriage.

@JonaResende. That is a good one as well. Even I match William V to Cleves, I do think it is a bit low born, considering his uncle is King Edward.
I might change previous update.