Hitler gets assassinated in 1942( help me understand )

So a simple question, what would happen if somehow Hitler gets assassinated in spring of 1942. Who would take charge of the Reich during this timeperiod? How Hitler would die, is not important (security officer had a minor stroke, bashed in fuhrers head, rogue commando got at firing distance , etc)

What I am looking particularly is how would power dynamics play out in 1942, and who would get to be in charge. Also how would Wehrmacht high command react to this?

P.S if this has been already discussed then please notify me with links, as I tried to search for it, but couldnt find a thread. I am specifically interested in 1942 timeframe.

Last edited:
I had posted last week about a fire in Finland. A wheel on Hitler's plane catches fire, and a German saboteur had sprayed a fire accelerant around the wheel to make it worse.
Hitler is incapacitated and Goering takes over. I had planned a partial withdrawal from France and Holland, and the final solution gets aborted. After Ghazala, Mussolini wanted to hold the line at Tobruk rather than push on to El Alemein. I would have the
Germans transfer Rommel with a couple of divisions to the Russian front.
They would be used in a "little push". After operation Seydlitz, Rommel would push toward Lake Onega to meet the Finns.
On the southern front Paulus would go for Maikop and the Black sea coast, but not go near Stalingrad.
Maybe this could be a collaborative tieline.

I had posted last week about a fire in Finland. A wheel on Hitler's plane catches fire, and a German saboteur had sprayed a fire accelerant around the wheel to make it worse.
Hitler is incapacitated and Goering takes over. I had planned a partial withdrawal from France and Holland, and the final solution gets aborted. After Ghazala, Mussolini wanted to hold the line at Tobruk rather than push on to El Alemein. I would have the
Germans transfer Rommel with a couple of divisions to the Russian front.
They would be used in a "little push". After operation Seydlitz, Rommel would push toward Lake Onega to meet the Finns.
On the southern front Paulus would go for Maikop and the Black sea coast, but not go near Stalingrad.
Maybe this could be a collaborative tieline.
Can you link me to your thread? I am just a bit clumsy when it comes to finding stuff on this site.

[snip]
Are you talking about the incident that was connected to the famous "casual" recording with Mannerheim? It seems Hitler was off the plane before the fire got too bad if so.

Poland 1942, June 8
Location: railway between Dirschau (Tczew) and Konitz (Chojnice)
There are stories about the Polish resistance derailing a train. They thought it was Hitlers train Amerika, but it wasn’t. There’s not much sure about this story, though.

Soviet planes 1942

Sovijet planes shoot at Hitlers plane. Some bullets hit the plane.

You could also use one of these and change the date:

http://valkyrie.greyfalcon.us/hitlermurd.htm

So a simple question, what would happen if somehow Hitler gets assassinated in spring of 1942. Who would take charge of the Reich during this timeperiod? How Hitler would die, is not important (security officer had a minor stroke, bashed in fuhrers head, rogue commando got at firing distance , etc)

What I am looking particularly is how would power dynamics play out in 1942, and who would get to be in charge. Also how would Wehrmacht high command react to this?

P.S if this has been already discussed then please notify me with links, as I tried to search for it, but couldnt find a thread. I am specifically interested in 1942 timeframe.
Goering was designated as Hitler's successor in 1941, but Himmler may even try to grab power for himself using the SS.

Goering was designated as Hitler's successor in 1941, but Himmler may even try to grab power for himself using the SS.

i agree and the power struggle hurts the German war effort.

Think of it of a sort of a reverse Valkyrie. Himmler, with a massive paramilitary organisation, takes power. He even coerced Goering to relinquish control of the Gestapo. So he'd have no problem with Goebbels.

Think of it of a sort of a reverse Valkyrie. Himmler, with a massive paramilitary organisation, takes power. He even coerced Goering to relinquish control of the Gestapo. So he'd have no problem with Goebbels.

The Army still until 44 purge had a vote and Himmler had no base of support with the army. Goering didn't have the credibility with the Heer he had in 1939 either as far as the army was concerned.

The Army still until 44 purge had a vote and Himmler had no base of support with the army. Goering didn't have the credibility with the Heer he had in 1939 either as far as the army was concerned.
True, Goering boasts about supplying the 6th Army after Stalingrad and being unable to destroy the RAF meant he quickly lost sway with the Nazi elite cadre

True, Goering boasts about supplying the 6th Army after Stalingrad and being unable to destroy the RAF meant he quickly lost sway with the Nazi elite cadre

The Battle for Britian was were he lost his first big bit of credibility with the army. His drug abuse and saying he could supply the 6th Army from the air killed off the rest of it.

As well he high horseness such as Reich Minister for Forestry as well as his art plundering. Yet he was still the successor, until the telegram of April 45 that is...

The main actor would be Goering, he was officially the heir apparent, thus he has the legitimacy. The pretenders are Himmler and Goebbels, both ruthlessly ambitious, and one should not forget slimy little Martin Bormann who moved closer to the center with Hess's flight. The counter weight is the Army who was hobbled by their devotion to duty and oath, but that was to Hitler personally, and Keitel was a toady, but he had a cabal of Generals that would never stand to be ousted by the Himmler crowd as the defenders of the Nation. At bottom the Army would back Goering, he was at least a hero of the first war, he has a veneer of legitimacy and the Army might see it as their way to get the civilian government back under some semblance of order to support the war. If Himmler goes openly to battle he gets the Army on his back, I doubt Goebbels lasts the day and Bormann only lives if he licks the fancy pimp boots at Goering's party. From there it is open to a lot of what ifs.

The Battle for Britian was were he lost his first big bit of credibility with the army. His drug abuse and saying he could supply the 6th Army from the air killed off the rest of it.

If Hitler dies in the summer of 1942, then Stalingrad hasn't happened yet. I'm putting my $0.02 on Goering as an acceptable compromise. Himmler doesn't have enough clout yet to seize power. I don't think Goebbels does either.

Last edited:
If Hitler dies in the summer of 1942, then Stalingrad hasn't happened yet. I'm putting my $0.02 on Goering as an acceptable compromise.
I was about to post the same thing more or less. Goering becomes new leader but the army most likely remove him later on if he doesn't improve the war situation and they won't take an oath to him IMO.

Deleted member 1487

No way, he had too littler power in 1942 to make that work. 1943 is probably even a bit too early really, though by the 2nd half of the year he was getting quite powerful. By 1944 he could if he wanted to...but some of what I read suggested he really did not want to be Fuehrer. He and Goering had a positive professional relationship, so I would expect that he'd be content with Goering in power for concessions to his SS. By 1942 Goering would be in charge without question and Himmler would need to toady up to Goering to ensure that the SS maintained it's power.

Thanks for the info all of you , this really helped.

Btw this would mean that Wehrmacht gets more control over its operations in the East, as who ever would get in charge wouldnt interfere? Right or wrong?