Help: Southern Victory question?

Hi all though I've only read a few of the books in the series I do thoroughly enjoy it and would love to own the whole collection!

I do have a few questions though! Namely who is the OTL counterpart of Charles XI of France? Also while your at it could anyone tell me if Louis XIX has an OTL counterpart or was he meant to be Charles' son?

I know that many theorize Charles could be Charles Maurras, though honestly I find that highly unlikely given his support for the Legitimist cause, and also because I somehow see Maurras as being the ideological behind-the-scenes leader, controlling the ruling party and thus the wheels of government, rather than publicly ruling like the monarch!

Maybe I'm wrong about Maurras, however I would still like to know from the French monarchy buffs who could be the possible real world version of Charles! Are their any Legitimist or Orleanist candidates who fit the description/age/availability?

Ditto for Louis if anyone is aware of a possible candidate from the above mentioned Legitimists or Orleanists! A friend of mine (the one I borrowed the books from) had a theory that Louis could be a Bonaparte, adopted by Charles ala Maximilian Habsburg and the Iturbide heirs, though I cannot remember which one! (My friend away for work so I cant ask)

Would really appreciate anything, even just a plausible theory, as this is the one real nagging question in the series for me!!!

EDIT:

My apologies, mixed the terminologies for a moment their! Maurras and Action Francaise were Orleanists, not Legitimists! My bad!!!

Also I am aware of Louis Antoine, Duke of Angouleme, who was styled as Louis XIX! However he was dead long before the events in the series so I'm pretty sure he doesn't count!

Last edited:
They only appear about 70 years after the PoD, so it is pretty unlikely they are any historical characters. Probably Turtledove just decided to make up someone and then give them common names for French Kings.

- BNC