Hearts of Iron III

I odn't care about Barbarossa. AI that sends unit east isn't a major accomplishment. I crae about D-Day, Anzio, and the Pacific War.
Well, supposedly, the AI will be better at adapting to non-historical situations (or, more accuratly, at situations not directly specified in the moddable AI files)- apparently, the switch to 3d allows for a larger part of one's computer's processing capability to be used for AI. Still, I suspect this game, just as the others, will require large and multiple AI files for each nation.
Actually there is an exception. You can sign a peace for your cores only when youre not fighting a major, as long as you are holding them.
Hm, I suppose 'major' will be defined as 'leader of a major alliance'.

I was very impressed with the arma AI.

Also, you should read the UK-US coop AAR. The DAIM AI beat them both.

Last edited:
Still, I suspect this game, just as the others, will require large and multiple AI files for each nation.

It will. Better AI actually implies bigger/more AI files. Unless they have a way of really condensing data and goals and things, they're going to need much more space. It's unlikely they've managed to condense it for two reasons: 1) it's really difficult to condense that data further than it already is, without making it much more difficult for the AI to process during runtime and 2) more territories and more units, and the addition of a province/state system like Vicky means there's much more to keep track of.

Tellus

Banned
I tried a demo of the second game, but freaked out when I saw it wasn't turn-based. Still, it looks very interesting, might try it sometime.

Like all Paradox games, its as turn based as you want it to be. You can pause the game and keep issuing orders and then resume and see the results. You can also adjust time speed at will. I like not to pause too much and let the game flow, but I have a couple friends who essentially play the whole game on pause, if such a thing is possible. To each his own. :)

USSR? Linky!

US-UK link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383880

(also fixed my embarrasing spelling mistake)
I just spent six hours reading that. It was a fantastic read. My jaw kept dropping, especially when
Germany unleashed its nuclear arsenal.

EDIT: As for resource issues when it comes to running the game, that's what better computers are for. I'm glad I recently upgraded to a quad core CPU and eight gigs of RAM. (And a 64-bit operating system, of course. 64-Bit XP, because I refuse to use Vista on general principles.) So I'll have no problem running Hearts of Iron III. I really look forward to it too, what with the innovations it'll bring, especially that ever so useful EU III sidebar thing. Trying to play a HoI II game after some time at EU III was really difficult without it.

Last edited:
I would like to make a mod of this where its only the east coast of the United States. Each of the thirteen colonies plus Maine and Vermont are nations with regions inside of them.

Been done to death. But I dont care, I do wat I want.

I just spent six hours reading that. It was a fantastic read. My jaw kept dropping, especially when
Germany unleashed its nuclear arsenal.

EDIT: As for resource issues when it comes to running the game, that's what better computers are for. I'm glad I recently upgraded to a quad core CPU and eight gigs of RAM. (And a 64-bit operating system, of course. 64-Bit XP, because I refuse to use Vista on general principles.) So I'll have no problem running Hearts of Iron III. I really look forward to it too, what with the innovations it'll bring, especially that ever so useful EU III sidebar thing. Trying to play a HoI II game after some time at EU III was really difficult without it.

Yeah, like 30+ nukes in that game, and it ain't over yet.

Tellus

Banned
Yeah that DAIM AAR was pretty neat, but its for the wrong game. :p When you linked it, I thought I had missed a HoI3 AAR. You got my hopes up for a minute :)

Does anyone know more about the 'events' in HoI3? I understand that now they are triggered by the player meeting a set amount of prerequisites, for example a German player has to complete certain objectives for the Anschluss event to fire. I am wondering if there are any AH-esk events that allow the player to trigger an event that didn't nececarily occur IOTL, since HoI3 seems to by trying to follow EU3's philosophy of more freedom and AH possibility than HoI2.

Does anyone know more about the 'events' in HoI3? I understand that now they are triggered by the player meeting a set amount of prerequisites, for example a German player has to complete certain objectives for the Anschluss event to fire. I am wondering if there are any AH-esk events that allow the player to trigger an event that didn't nececarily occur IOTL, since HoI3 seems to by trying to follow EU3's philosophy of more freedom and AH possibility than HoI2.
I imagine there will be at least a few basic decisions along that line built in, like the event chain built into HoI II that led to the U.S. becoming a fascist nation led by Charles Lindbergh.

However, I would expect that most along that line will have to be modded in. Good news on that score is that it ought to be as easy as ever to mod, like all Paradox games.

Eh. I'll buy it when the AI works.

I'll buy it when they get someone who understands basic English to localise their games.

And the AI. And the 10,000 bugs it will have at the start which will render the game playable only six months after the official release. And so on and so on.

I'll buy it when they get someone who understands basic English to localise their games.

And the AI. And the 10,000 bugs it will have at the start which will render the game playable only six months after the official release. And so on and so on.
You seem convinced that Paradox games are awful.

1. I haven't noticed any obvious errors in the English.
2. The Paradox AI is pretty much the best I've seen for games with this level of strategy. Especially compared to the Total War AI...
3. Every game has bugs at the initial release. They don't have an infinite amount of betatesters and an infinite amount of time to find bugs you know. ;)