Hearts of Iron III

Tellus

Banned
Turns out IGN just released one of the nicest HOI3 previews Ive seen to date. And by nicest, I mean the first one where the reviewer seems to have played the game before writing it. :eek:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1004566p1.html

Edit: Aside from the fact that the reviewer has his history all wrong ;)

Last edited:

wormyguy

Banned
Its more realistic than before, though it might be a bit harder to have a feeling of satisfactory completion of the war as the Axis unless you manage to truly go on an ahistorical rampage across the globe.
Although that would be the only non-nuclear way they "could" have ended the war IRL. So it works out.

Tellus

Banned
Although that would be the only non-nuclear way they "could" have ended the war IRL. So it works out.

Of course not. "Unconditional surrender" only flies when you're winning.

Its easy to overestimate allied resolve in hindsight. Alternate historians are especially guilty of this, considering that with this hobby, its hard to justify rejecting out of hand the thousands of scenarios that would have led to negotiated peaces, especially between 6/40 and 6/41. But we can keep the discussion of those in other threads ;)

Like HoI2, HoI3 features events to impose peace to Britain and the USSR, with considerable gains possible in the East. Britain cedes little even if defeated that way, though.

Last edited:
The CORE2 team has unofficially confirmed that they will be looking at having a go at HoI3. Have any other modding teams signed on?

Tellus

Banned
The CORE2 team has unofficially confirmed that they will be looking at having a go at HoI3. Have any other modding teams signed on?

I often mod the hell out of my paradox games after awhile, and Im thinking of actually releasing some of it this time around. Maybe that counts :)

I tried a demo of the second game, but freaked out when I saw it wasn't turn-based. Still, it looks very interesting, might try it sometime.

Of course not. "Unconditional surrender" only flies when you're winning.

Its easy to overestimate allied resolve in hindsight. Alternate historians are especially guilty of this, considering that with this hobby, its hard to justify rejecting out of hand the thousands of scenarios that would have led to negotiated peaces, especially between 6/40 and 6/41. But we can keep the discussion of those in other threads ;)

Like HoI2, HoI3 features events to impose peace to Britain and the USSR, with considerable gains possible in the East. Britain cedes little even if defeated that way, though.
But, of course, this time there are no non-event surrenders but total victory, based on what they've said.:rolleyes: Which is another reason to wait- modders need time to make events for the more likelier possibilities that Paradox have missed.

Last edited:

Tellus

Banned
But, of course, this time there are no non-event surrenders but total victory, based on what they've said.:rolleyes: Which is another reason to wait- modders need time to make events for the more likelier possibilities that Paradox have missed.

Well maybe what i said was unclear. There are event based surrenders, but there's still the possibility of military conquest. Through strategic warfare, loss of territory and such, you can "break" enemy nations and force them to give up, but it doesnt lead to full peace. The details are still a bit unclear to me. But of course, theres also the possibility of total victory, basically the military occupation of everyone at war with you. From what Ive understood, occupying your last enemy's capital disbands all the governments in exile fighting you.

Well maybe what i said was unclear. There are event based surrenders, but there's still the possibility of military conquest. Through strategic warfare, loss of territory and such, you can "break" enemy nations and force them to give up, but it doesnt lead to full peace. The details are still a bit unclear to me. But of course, theres also the possibility of total victory, basically the military occupation of everyone at war with you. From what Ive understood, occupying your last enemy's capital disbands all the governments in exile fighting you.
Yes, no negotiated peace but via events. That is, you can't fight a war for border changes, it is all or nothing. Which is... meh. Can't replicate the Winter War, can't replicate the Continuation War, can't replicate the Chaco War...:rolleyes:

Yes, no negotiated peace but via events. That is, you can't fight a war for border changes, it is all or nothing. Which is... meh. Can't replicate the Winter War, can't replicate the Continuation War, can't replicate the Chaco War...:rolleyes:

That's... disappointing. I suppose I'll end up waiting for a mod that fixes that. Still, it looks like a decent game, I liked HoI2, and I've got a computer that can (probably) manage it... so I suppose I'll probably end up getting it.

Tellus

Banned

Actually there is an exception. You can sign a peace for your cores only when youre not fighting a major, as long as you are holding them. So this wouldnt do any good to Germany after 9/39, but the Winter War is in, since its fought against Finland alone and the Soviets have cores on these border provinces... Continuation War is out if Finland is in the Axis (major alliances fighting), but Chaco War works, since there were appropriate cores as well representing both sides' claims in South America.

This is rather limited since as soon as a major alliance is fighting you, the option wont work anymore. But say Germany attacked Poland before it got guaranteed, they could snatch back the corridor and force the rest of Poland to accept peace. If its anything like HoI2 though, such a move would probably help the western allies proportionally by hastening their mobilization for war.

That is actualy advanced enough AI (if it works) that I don't think anyone even thought to ask for it :D