French Revolution without the terror

Sorry but when Louis XIV died, the debt as a percentage of estimatif GDP was not smaller than in 1783 or 1789.

In both cases, the debt was due to wars.

There were several known ways to solve the debt problem but Louis XVI refused to act.

Bankrupcy was obviously the best solution. And that's precisely what the Directorate finally did in 1796 : it cut two thirds of the debt.

But Louis XVI did not want to take the responsibility and the General States, self proclaimed National Assembly, decided to take possession of "national properties" in order to guarantee the value of the debt they (I mean them and the people whole interests they really defended, that is the bourgeois and no le debt holders) held on the treasury. Which did all but solving the debt problem and worse need the country's problems until drivant it into violence, anarchy, ruin (economic historians estimate that the revolution caused a 50% drop in the french GDP, until Napoleontook mesures that enabled the Country to recover at lightspeed) and civil war.

There are speeches and proclaimed principles on the one hand.
And there are facts, naked facts, on the other hand.

Sorry but when Louis XIV died, the debt as a percentage of estimatif GDP was not smaller than in 1783 or 1789.
But again, you're confusing wealth of a country, and wealth of state. France wasn't a state property, which all GPD was freely usable by the crown.
For what matters state income, the debt just became colossal.

No, I perfectly make the difference.

What I am saying is that the debt was not bigger, compared to State income as well as GDP, in 1789 than in 1715.

The people in charge just did not want or were not able to make the right decisions which previous governments had taken.

It's not that hard to raise a very low tax level. It had already been done.

Oh, by the way, Necker was an incompetent and a crook. The guy was just popular because he guarantees high but unsustainable interest rates to debt holders or debt buyers. But when the crisis came, the Necker illusion vanished.

If the King was going to fight back against the revolution to maintain as much power as feasible, who are most likely to be his allies? I can imagine a King-church-poor coalition against the bourgeoisie and chunks of the nobility.

What I am saying is that the debt was not bigger, compared to State income as well as GDP, in 1789 than in 1715.

Then we have different http://www.penseelibre.fr/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/endettement-ancien-regime-626x1024.jpg.

If the King was going to fight back against the revolution to maintain as much power as feasible, who are most likely to be his allies? I can imagine a King-church-poor coalition against the bourgeoisie and chunks of the nobility.

That's unlikely. Church, as every social "order" was actually very much divided between high clergy, urban clergy, poor and rural clergy, etc. It wouldn't form one stable entity.

As for "poors", it's too broad as a definition to represent something as well, critically with the lack of unified popular political tradition.

His allies would probably be Royalists...and that's about it. By 1789, everyone wanted changes and Estates Generals including the high aristocracy (that tought EG would somehow magically support their privileges).
Once the door opened, and political liberalism a thing, outside the reactionnaries sides (even conservatives were only wary of the Revolution as they were of the previous orders), the lack of true support would be important.
If the Constitution Civile du Clergé is still adopted at this moment, Louis XVI could count on a more clerical and popular based support (essentially in countryside, meaning not where decisions are taken), but it would be really limited.

That's unlikely. Church, as every social "order" was actually very much divided between high clergy, urban clergy, poor and rural clergy, etc. It wouldn't form one stable entity.

As for "poors", it's too broad as a definition to represent something as well, critically with the lack of unified popular political tradition.

His allies would probably be Royalists...and that's about it. By 1789, everyone wanted changes and Estates Generals including the high aristocracy (that tought EG would somehow magically support their privileges).
Once the door opened, and political liberalism a thing, outside the reactionnaries sides (even conservatives were only wary of the Revolution as they were of the previous orders), the lack of true support would be important.
If the Constitution Civile du Clergé is still adopted at this moment, Louis XVI could count on a more clerical and popular based support (essentially in countryside, meaning not where decisions are taken), but it would be really limited.

It seems clear that everyone wanted changes, but couldn't the King embrace many of those changes to reduce the power of nobility in a sort of Andrew Jackson style populism? I'm imagining a program of something like:

- A message of moral renewal of the nation
- A cap on the price of grain
- Removing the tax exemptions on the nobility
- Reduction of feudal requirements on the poor
- Education for all, provided by the church
- Meritocratic entry for the bureaucracy
- An anti-corruption purge

It seems clear that everyone wanted changes, but couldn't the King embrace many of those changes to reduce the power of nobility
Remember that Ancien Régime power was based on a society of orders, with the King being on top. Removing it is doable, but would have weakened the royal position enough to cause troubles, critically when it comes to reforms that should have been made decades ago (Louis XIV system did rather well, but nobody worked on adapting it)

- A message of moral renewal of the nation
Pissing in the wind. People, and any social class at this point, wanted more than a XXth century presidential speech.

- A cap on the price of grain
Would probably need , in order to avoid political consequences, someone else doing that : EG seems the most obvious choice.

- Removing the tax exemptions on the nobility
Probably most plausible if it's only on royal authority, but it would pass more easily with a general reformation of taxes (as the really really impopular gabelle, both unequally paid on orders, but on provinces as well).
Giving the general oppositions in court, councils, etc. Louis XVI would probably still need EG for that.

- Reduction of feudal requirements on the poor
Doable, but would piss bourgeoisie and poor nobility.
See, the so-called feudal requirements were relativly recent in the XVIIIth century, with old obligations (when not straight forged) being re-imposed on unsuspecting populations while they were abandoned centuries ago.
Especially the humiliating features knew a revival when poor nobility had to focus on its lands, and when bourgeoisie bought in large numbers lands, castles and obligations (at the point the clerical dime often was considered as a "bourgeois dime" at this moment.

Furthermore, the king (assuming Louis XVI wanted to do so, something really debatable) couldn't do that on its own without really breaking the seat of his legitimacy : the separation of society in three orders. You'd still need an EG or something similar to enact this kind of measure (in fact, 1789 measures were more cautious, making these right buyable back rather than forbidding them)

I'd think you still end with a Grande Peur equivalent, would it be only for peasant making sure these archived rights disappear for ever.

So, not that much gained in social order, weakened legitmacy, bourgeoisie and little nobility pissed on, without real impact on urban settings.

- Education for all, provided by the church
Technically done, at least on urban and semi-rural settings. Unappliable for peasantry that relied a lot on familial work.

- Meritocratic entry for the bureaucracy
More or less the case since Louis XIV (or even since Renaissance trough Paulette, while it was more or a poloutocratic entry), partially hidden trough annoblishment of important bureaucrats

An anti-corruption purge
Corruption wasn't really the problem of Ancien Régime.

LSCatilina said:
It's to be noted that it wasn't discovered before late 1792, mostly because it wasn't even a thing before being build in mid-1792, and by denounciation in a climate where royal figure was not only discredited but as well being overtrew by the proclamation of the Republic.
Well, a similar climate could still happen. If Revolutionnary armies are encountering difficulties and Louis XVI still shows his opposition to the Revolution, suspicions against him could rise. In which case, there could be an inquiry about his correspondance.
Imladrik said:
1. Colonnes Infernales massacres are greatly over estimated
Could be as it was a pretty messy situation.

That said I was more saying this wasn't really standard procedure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pillage, Burning, Looting and Slaughter are generally not encouraged by direct orders.
Imladrik said:
2. The Vendée was mostly evacuated at that point, as most republicans had already flew or were killed by the insurgents. The first massacres in Vendée were done by the monarchists who killed everyone who supported the republic and didn't flee.
I'd have to check but as far as I know, there were still Republicans left in Vendée. The whole department didn't became "Blancs" (Monarchists), there are a number of areas that were firmly "Bleus" (Republicans).
Imladrik said:
3. It was standard practice in this era. Alsace lost a third of it's population in one war, and it wasn't due to famine or epidemics. It was due to armies basically burning every village they marched upon.
While this is true, I still tend to think that the Colonnes Infernales didn't work like regular armies like they did in Alsace. The colonnes were tasked with the elimination of "brigands" and the burning of every village they could find and nothing else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the armies that went through Alsace had other purpose than pillaging, looting and burning.
Imladrik said:
Far right historians ? Yeah, good sources.
Just to point out: the first one to use the term of Populicide to describe what happened in Vendée was Gracchus Babeuf. So I find saying this is limited to far-right historians is a bit of a generalization considering Babeuf is considered as a proto-communist.

And I was more bringing them as an example that what happened is anything but standard procedure. Even if controversial, I doubt the people bringing it up would be ready to use the term "genocide" if what happened in Vendée was really comparable to what you saw usually in times of warfare.

Obviously any transition for the monarchy throughout this period is going to be tricky, winning support in some places and losing it on others, but that doesn't mean it's not doable. Yes, it will piss off some of the bourgeosie and nobility, but if he gets the lower orders of the church and the mass of the population onside, he is on good grounds. He could use an Estates-General to win votes via the First and Third Estates, while then reverting back to Provincial-Estates once he has survived the immediate crisis.

You seem to be quite dismissive of some of the measures, saying these were practically in effect. However, some of the things you say are not issues, like free education and corruption, were included as demands in the Cahiers, suggesting they're perceived as problems, at least.

Well, a similar climate could still happen. If Revolutionnary armies are encountering difficulties and Louis XVI still shows his opposition to the Revolution, suspicions against him could rise. In which case, there could be an inquiry about his correspondance.
Could be as it was a pretty messy situation.
Suspicions are not the same than "Look, it seems the royal family just decided to leave to join with Emigrés". I agree the situation would probably not evolve towards a more relaxed outcome, but the radicalisation of revolutionnary Left and its political influence on urban clubs and sections may be really limited ITTL.
You simply have more chances for ant-royalist denounciations to not happen, for Louis XVI not considering himself jailed in his own palace enough to safe his correspondance, etc.

That said I was more saying this wasn't really standard procedure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pillage, Burning, Looting and Slaughter are generally not encouraged by direct orders.
Well, on top of my head, there's the Sack of Palatinate. Both of them.

I'd have to check but as far as I know, there were still Republicans left in Vendée. The whole department didn't became "Blancs" (Monarchists), there are a number of areas that were firmly "Bleus" (Republicans).
From what I gathered, 25% of the deaths in Vendée Militaire (more than just Vendée, then) are accounted as Republicans.

Just to point out: the first one to use the term of Populicide to describe what happened in Vendée was Gracchus Babeuf. So I find saying this is limited to far-right historians is a bit of a generalization considering Babeuf is considered as a proto-communist.
I'd really temper this : Gracchus Babeuf use "populicide" in a geneal stand. As in Robespierre's policy having depopulated the country, not only Vendée that is used as one of the exemples of the Démocrates' policies

Giving that he wrote that in his pre-"communist" days (when he was still a stunch anti-Robespierrist), arguing of his later positions is a bit...twisted. We could as well argue that Trotskists ruled france in 1997-2002 because Jospin was in charge and that he was a former lambertiste.

And yes, as I tried to point above, the main historians that argue today of the use of génocide are endlessly whining about marxist omerta, but don't like it as much when their ties to far-right (and not just your old far-right, but the really radical ones).

Even if controversial, I doubt the people bringing it up would be ready to use the term "genocide" if what happened in Vendée was really comparable to what you saw usually in times of warfare.
There's a tiny minority of people arguing about this. An handful against a whole universitary structure, including no international take on this.
That they exist and shout continuously "genocide" doesn't proove anything, save that you'd always find people to use it for any reason.
I saw people arguing of Arab Algerian genocide by French, Pied-Noir génocide by Algerians, etc.

I'm not exactly full of astonishment and wonder that people with a helluva loaded political background would hesitate to use, and rather misuse, concepts when it comes to the formers.

Obviously any transition for the monarchy throughout this period is going to be tricky, winning support in some places and losing it on others, but that doesn't mean it's not doable.
Take as a given that people back then weren't brainless idiots, that if only they beneficied from our genius would have resolved everything.
You did have an insane lot of programs from everything. The problem wasn't lack of reforms and propositions, but how to enact them with less financial means, with a lot of legitimacy gone, and a general agricultural and financial crisis.
Different choices could be made, but by the lmate XVIIIth, no one was going to be a magical answer and critically not a "let's adress to the nation" when this one's existance depended a lot from being represented.

Yes, it will piss off some of the bourgeosie and nobility, but if he gets the lower orders of the church and the mass of the population onside, he is on good grounds.
Again, you treat whole classes and orders as if they were politicall concious unified bodies. They weren't. On this regard, everything was to be built, and bourgeoisie simply had an easier time as their hegemon and rise didn't dependend from a declining structure.

He could use an Estates-General to win votes via the First and Third Estates, while then reverting back to Provincial-Estates once he has survived the immediate crisis.
I don't want to repeat myself, but the problem weren't the Estates, critically giving they joined in one structure very quickly, but the transersal ideological, social and economical situation. Enlightement influence (and support of legal equality), similarities of way-of-life between rural elites, and urban elites really prevented the maintain of a society by order : less and less people concieved themselves as such in 1789.
Provincial Estates were extremly conservatives

However, some of the things you say are not issues, like free education and corruption, were included as demands in the Cahiers, suggesting they're perceived as problems, at least.
Percieved as problems, most probably. It's to be noted that Cahiers de doléance from the Third Estates were essentially models written by urban and rural elites, and that were copied from parish to parish, with some additions based on local problems.
Not to say they weren't percieved as issues, and that it didn't justified a choice among different existing models, but they were more elite's or symbolical issues rather than the ones that were seen as more pressing (abandon of "feudal" charges, gabelle, etc.)

I'm not going to quote, for the purposes of readability. However, to address your main salient points:

1) I agree that it's not all going to be magically solved, but I'm just trying to talk about the bones of a platform that could gradually come together and manage to weave it's way through the crisis.

2) People aren't idiots, but they are amazingly ready to side with people that aren't that aligned with them against someone they see as more of a problem. Just look at how the military leaders of Egypt have managed to regain power with the support of the same revolutionaries that outed them just a few years ago. What the King needs to do in crude terms is (a) paint someone else as the main problem/enemy, and the nobility are the obvious target for this (b) be seen as being on the people's side fighting against this enemy. Will this automatically get him through? No. But it's a major start that could work, depending on events.

3) I'm not treating them as unified bodies, but it's very time consuming to waste time to talk about "a large majority of peasants" rather than just using "the peasants" as shorthand. When I look through the Cahiers for the Third Estate and First Estate, it seems to be a reform that the King could mostly get behind.

4) In terms of financial means, a combination of moving the tax burden much more onto the nobility, some austerity and semi-managed default could help a lot. It's not like they were near the peak of the Laffer curve here. There was plenty of taxable income, it was just political affairs getting in the way.