Frankfurt, Capital of West Germany

Frankfurt was the home of the first group of elected representatives during the period of German Unification before it was crushed and attached to militarism (not counting the obvious stuff against Slavs, Italians, Danes, etc.). Bonn also still has half the government buildings or workers around, not that it really relates.

I think Berlin would remain as the capital of a reunified Germany. For it not to do so would leave most Ossies feeling even more disenfranchised than the ones I spoke to, (and got VERY drunk with), back in 96...

Yeah, they'll be huge pressure from the Ossies to move the capital back to Berlin; this might even drag out the reunification negotiations. I don't think it would prevent reunification though. It could result in Germany have multiple capitals like South Africa. Ie the executive branch stays in Frankfurt, the legislative branch returns to Berlin, and the judical branch either stays in Karlsruhe or returns to Leipzig.

Deleted member 43582

The difference is 'Ich Bin Ein Berliner' doesn't mean 'I am a citizen of Berlin' in German. 'Ich Bin Berliner' does. There's no ambiguity, whereas in the New Yorker example there is.

"Ich bin ein Berliner." is perfectly acceptable for anybody here in Germany who doesn't have the Duden stuck up their butt. Seriously. It may not be grammarically correct but 99% of Germans would seee nothing wrong with that. The only problem is that news reproters allways want to report on a gaffe and the like so of course up to this day we hear this nonsense.

Frankfurt was the home of the first group of elected representatives during the period of German Unification before it was crushed and attached to militarism (not counting the obvious stuff against Slavs, Italians, Danes, etc.).

I think the history of the 1848 Frankfurt Parliament is important. Combined with it being capital of West Germany, it would cement the idea that Frankfurt is the capital of "democratic Germany" while Berlin was the capital of "authoritarian Germany".

Chances are good Frankfurt might remain the capital. The only reason to transfer it at that point would be to serve as an economic boost to eastern Germany and make the Ossis feel more welcomed.

Last edited:
Yeah, they'll be huge pressure from the Ossies to move the capital back to Berlin; this might even drag out the reunification negotiations. I don't think it would prevent reunification though. It could result in Germany have multiple capitals like South Africa. Ie the executive branch stays in Frankfurt, the legislative branch returns to Berlin, and the judical branch either stays in Karlsruhe or returns to Leipzig.

There would be no delay, as the question of the seat of government OTL was decided after the re-unification in 1991.

Actually, Germany in OTL has multiple capitals. The Supreme Court is in Karlsruhe (with other High Courts spread across the country, too) and Bonn is still seat of several ministries and official "Bundesstadt".

Chances are good Frankfurt might remain the capital. The only reason to transfer it at that point would be to serve as an economic boost to eastern Germany and make the Ossis feel more welcomed.

It was always felt that Berlin needed exactly such a boost, as the subventions due to the "insular situation" of West-Berlin would run out, and East-Berlin would lose its capital functions; whereas Frankfurt would be in one of the most prosperous regions of Germany anyways. As opposed to Bonn, there would be hardly any believable claims that the city would die without being capital. (By the way, Bonn is doing really fine over the last 20 years, being on of the fastest growing cities of Germany)

Also, I wonder how much of the narrow decision in OTL 1991 can be attributed to Bonn being such a "cosy" place as opposed to chaotic Berlin. This difference would be less pronounced ITTL.

A plus for Frankfurt would be, that within a United Germany it would still be very central (and a major transportation hub on street, rail and in the air) as opposed to the very Western Bonn and Berlin, which is almost in Poland since 1945.

First of all, what JBO says is true. It's just that though "Er ist ein Pole" (He's a Pole") and "Er ist polnisch" (He's Polish) are correct grammar-wise, "Er ist Pole" (He's Pole) is "good" German and therefore recommended, just like "Er ist Arzt" or "Er ist Anwalt". But this construct will only be used for persons. If you want to say that Felix is a tomcat or that Rex is a dog, you always say "Felix ist ein Kater" or "Rex ist ein Hund" because cats and dogs aren't people.

What is true is that Germans kids have to learn that you always have to say "He's a doctor" and "He's a lawyer" and "He's a Pole" in English and that the German contraction is no correct English and therefore wrong.

Back to topic: Frankfurt am Main would definitely remain the capital of a reunited Germany in this scenario. On the other hand, there will still be the question what to do with Berlin. If there were no great politics in Berlin, how would you raise it from the historical ruins?

Historically Bonn was chosen for two primary reasons:

1. It was relatively unscathed, compared to other German cities, mostly due to lack of strategical targets. Therefore the city itself already was functional as a center of commerce and trade.
2. Bonn traditionally had a large number of hotels, due to its function as a Spa, relaxation center, being near to the volcanic Eifel and its springs and mud baths. This accommodation was perfect to house large numbers of civil servants in the early stages of the BRD time, as well as foreign guests, visiting the exiled BRD governmental institutions.
Also:
In the controversial selection for a "provisional capital" of the Federal Republic of Germany Adenauer championed Bonn over Frankfurt am Main. The British had agreed to detach Bonn from their zone of occupation and convert the area to an autonomous region wholly under German sovereignty; the Americans were not prepared to grant the same for Frankfurt.[13]
Hhmm, so if Bonn were to be hit harder during the war having more of its buildings and infrastructure damaged/destroyed plus make the British, like the Americans, not willing to detach it as an autonomous region then that would appear to throw the decision wide open again. The one major problem with having it in Frankfurt that I can see is that you could possible end up with the problem the UK has with London, political and financial power being concentrated in one city dragging in influence and funding at the cost of other cities and regions. Alternatively if you keep it separate then you get the possibility of having a Washington, which from what some people have told me is all politics politics politics with nothing much outside, apart from some very nice tourist attractions, that to recommend it, so six of one half a dozen of the other I guess.

I like the idea of Frankfurt as a European capital though. An EU capital that isn't the capital of another country.
Yes, because the French would just love that idea. :)

I know that a similar thread was started last october, but this has a different PoD:

In 1948, various West German cities put themselves forward as provisional capitals of the Federal republic of Germany. Among them were Kassel, Stuttgart, Karlsruhe and Celle, but the most serious contenders were Frankfurt am Main and Bonn.

Bonn was favoured by the British occupation government, while Frankfurt was already the administrative centre of the three western zones and had the democratic history of 1848 and its medieval importance going for it. Generally, the SPD favored Frankfurt, the CDU Bonn, while the Hessian CDU also favored Frankfurt. The decision for Bonn was rather surprising.

So, in this TL, the final vote in the Parlamentarischer Rat results in Frankfurt as the provisional capital of the FRG. What are the obvious and less obvious results for German and general history?

First, there will be no "ferderal village". Frankfurt is a large city, with lots of banks and a huge, central airport. German Politics will feel much more metropolitan and global. From half a million in 1950, the city will grow to almost 700.000 in 1965. As capital, it might even grow more. It is, of course, part of the huge Rhein-Main conurbation with nearly 5 million people.

During the Cold War, Frankfurt is closer to the Inner-German border than Bonn and rather close to the infamous Fulda Gap. This might lead to a bigger deployment of US forces in the region.

After the Cold War, if there is a German unification, I really doubt that the federal government will leave Frankfurt for Berlin. "Mainhattan" will be much more attractive (in the original sense of the term) than Bonn.

Other ideas?

One possibility with Frankfurt as the capital of the BRD is that Berlin becomes the de jure Capital with the Bundespraesident in residence while Frankfurt remains the de facto Capital from which the Bundeskanzler and Bundestag/rat assemble and govern.

Hhmm, so if Bonn were to be hit harder during the war having more of its buildings and infrastructure damaged/destroyed plus make the British, like the Americans, not willing to detach it as an autonomous region then that would appear to throw the decision wide open again. The one major problem with having it in Frankfurt that I can see is that you could possible end up with the problem the UK has with London, political and financial power being concentrated in one city dragging in influence and funding at the cost of other cities and regions. Alternatively if you keep it separate then you get the possibility of having a Washington, which from what some people have told me is all politics politics politics with nothing much outside, apart from some very nice tourist attractions, that to recommend it, so six of one half a dozen of the other I guess.

Yes, because the French would just love that idea. :)

Bonn simply was not industrialised as neighbouring cities, besides having no real strategic infrastructural keypossitions. You cannot change geography. Why would the allies bomb a non strategic target in the first place? they simply had bigger issues to settle elsewhere.

Frankfurt never had been a center of politics, as nearby Wiesbaden was the politcal centre of Hessen. Frankfurt was a commercial, industrial and later a financial centre. It was for that reason alone not a logical candidate to house a government in exile, besides being completely destroyed in the war. For a simmilar reason the French Petain regime had selected Vichy as seat, after the abbandoning of Paris, simply as Vichy had the necessary accomodation available on short notice. (It previously had been seating for a time in Bordeaux, but had to leave this city, as it was assigned to come under german control.)

The Allies had no real influence in where the seat was going to be, as long as it was in the sectors of the Western Allies. The German people of these zones could choose relatively independent where they were to take up residence for their govenrment in exile, as Berlin was no longer available, for obvious reasons.

"Ich bin ein Berliner." is perfectly acceptable for anybody here in Germany who doesn't have the Duden stuck up their butt. Seriously. It may not be grammarically correct but 99% of Germans would seee nothing wrong with that. The only problem is that news reproters allways want to report on a gaffe and the like so of course up to this day we hear this nonsense.

I'm really amused by how much of an insult people from both Germany and America seem to think the 'Ich Bin Ein Berliner' joke is. Here in Britain it's an amusing bit of trivia that everyone's heard of but no-one uses it to demean JFK's reputation. Why all the sensitivity?

Bonn simply was not industrialised as neighbouring cities, besides having no real strategic infrastructural keypossitions. You cannot change geography. Why would the allies bomb a non strategic target in the first place? they simply had bigger issues to settle elsewhere.

Yeah right... just have a fanatical SS-commander or a "never surrender NS-mayor" with enough Volkssturm sit in Bonn and the place gets levelled - no strategic target? It is a bridgehead!

OTL, the cities commander ordered a withdrawal across the Rhine on March 7th and destroyed the bridge. The next day, the city waved a white flag.
Smart move.

The totally insignificant city of Stadtlohn/Westfalia with less than 10,000 inhabitants, in the middle of nowhere (one stonethrough away from the Netherlands), got levelled flat in March '45 because a silly mayor declared the overblown village to be a fortress and apparently some Allied officer got a good radio connection to the air force.

Frankfurt never had been a center of politics, as nearby Wiesbaden was the politcal centre of Hessen.

Neither has Bonn after the end of the Elector-Bishopric of Cologne.

But Frankfurt was, as others posted, an important ceremonical political center in the HRE and in the German Federation, during the episode of the 1848-parliament, and additionally for the Bizone.

Concerning the level of destruction, Frankfurt seemed unfazed, as they had already begun constructing a Parliament building (which later housed the Hessian Radio).

I thought Nuremberg was considered to be the 'unofficial capital' of the Holy Roman Empire since that was where the Reichstag met, at least until the Perpetual Diet of Regensburg? It's also only about a hundred miles shy of Gelnhausen which most people consider to be the centre of the EU so it's rather fitting.

I thought Nuremberg was considered to be the 'unofficial capital' of the Holy Roman Empire since that was where the Reichstag met, at least until the Perpetual Diet of Regensburg? It's also only about a hundred miles shy of Gelnhausen which most people consider to be the centre of the EU so it's rather fitting.

Until the Perpetual diet, I don't believe there was an official "meeting spot." I do recall that Frankfurt had great importance as an Imperial center though. And of course, Frankfurt was also the capital of the German Confederation, and the site of the Frankfurt Diet.

abc123

Banned
What is true is that Germans kids have to learn that you always have to say "He's a doctor" and "He's a lawyer" and "He's a Pole" in English and that the German contraction is no correct English and therefore wrong.

We who speak Slavic languages have the same problem...;)

I'm really amused by how much of an insult people from both Germany and America seem to think the 'Ich Bin Ein Berliner' joke is. Here in Britain it's an amusing bit of trivia that everyone's heard of but no-one uses it to demean JFK's reputation. Why all the sensitivity?
Three reasons:

1) Because it's no joke, it's simply flat out wrong and that uninformed people still believe he said "I am a jelly doughnut" despite being told over and over that this is not what he said at all because is pretty insulting. Nobody likes willfully dense people.
2) It's a pivotal moment in German history and it's pretty damn insulting to all involved that piss-poor ignorant journalism turned it into a mockery over misunderstood grammar.
3) British "humor" is often just humor when the Brit in question is being called on being wrong. Case in point: you were lecturing a German on German grammar because you believed the doughnut myth and then fled into "but it's just a joke, why so sensitive" when called on it.

Three reasons:

1) Because it's no joke, it's simply flat out wrong and that uninformed people still believe he said "I am a jelly doughnut" despite being told over and over that this is not what he said at all because is pretty insulting. Nobody likes willfully dense people.
2) It's a pivotal moment in German history and it's pretty damn insulting to all involved that piss-poor ignorant journalism turned it into a mockery over misunderstood grammar.
3) British "humor" is often just humor when the Brit in question is being called on being wrong. Case in point: you were lecturing a German on German grammar because you believed the doughnut myth and then fled into "but it's just a joke, why so sensitive" when called on it.

You're not helping the 'why so sensitive' case.

One point on the whole JFK "ein Berliner" versus "Berliner" thing: While JFK was speaking in Berlin to a crowd of Berliners, his wider audience was back home in the US, where "Ich bin ein Berlner" has the advantage of being something one can literally translate into English while sounding more natural to an American ear as well as being more euphonious given JFK's rather nasal New England accent. I think if you watch the video of the speech, you'd see how awkward "Ich bin Berliner" would have sounded in JFK's voice. Those who get hung up on the fine points of German grammar on this are essentially missing the point of how speechwriting works with respect to writing for the speaker and their natural cadences and where JFK's real audience was.

One point on the whole JFK "ein Berliner" versus "Berliner" thing: While JFK was speaking in Berlin to a crowd of Berliners, his wider audience was back home in the US, where "Ich bin ein Berlner" has the advantage of being something one can literally translate into English while sounding more natural to an American ear as well as being more euphonious given JFK's rather nasal New England accent. I think if you watch the video of the speech, you'd see how awkward "Ich bin Berliner" would have sounded in JFK's voice. Those who get hung up on the fine points of German grammar on this are essentially missing the point of how speechwriting works with respect to writing for the speaker and their natural cadences and where JFK's real audience was.
No, I think you are missing the point - the whole idea that German grammar rules imply that he stated "I'm a jelly doughnut" is made up of whole cloth for an audience which is addicted to "gaffes". It's simply not true.

Historically Bonn was choosen for two primary reasons:

1. It was relatively unscatched, compared to other German cities, mostly due to lack of strategical targets. Therefore the city itself already was functional as a center of commerce and trade.
2. Bonn traditionally had a large number of hotels, due to its function as a Spa, relaxation center, being near to the vulcanic Eifel and its springs and mudbaths. This accommodation was perfect to house large numbers of civil servants in the early stages of the BRD time, as well as foreign guests, visiting the exiled BRD governmental institutions.

I think these two very facts was why Bonn became the capital of West Germany.

While Frankfurt-am-Main would have made more sense, the fact the city (and its infrastructure) was just about destroyed during World War II mitigated against it being chosen the capital--it would have taken at minimum one decade to rebuild the city enough to function as the political capital of the country.