Founding the German Empire.......in 1815

Well, actually, Alexander, the Tsar of Russia, was in favor of German unification and, according to what I've read on the subject, Metternich was a major, if not THE reason, that Germany wasn't unified...

Faeelin

Banned
Walter_Kaufmann said:
Well, actually, Alexander, the Tsar of Russia, was in favor of German unification and, according to what I've read on the subject, Metternich was a major, if not THE reason, that Germany wasn't unified...

He was in favor of a lot of things, and none that seriously. Unifying germany would throw the princes behind napoleonn, something no one wanted.

I'm sorry. Who exactly would it throw behind Napoleon, exiled to an island in the South Pacific? Because of Metternich, the chief officer of the Congress and the driving force behind the decisions, had died, the Congress was delayed for about a month and a half, ending the Congress about a month AFTER Napoleon had been exiled.

Faeelin

Banned
Walter_Kaufmann said:
I'm sorry. Who exactly would it throw behind Napoleon, exiled to an island in the South Pacific? Because of Metternich, the chief officer of the Congress and the driving force behind the decisions, had died, the Congress was delayed for about a month and a half, ending the Congress about a month AFTER Napoleon had been exiled.

The princes of Germany, who'd been promised that they could keep their thrones.

Saying "Hey, thanks for joining the march on paris. Now we're going to take your lands and set up an emperor under a protestant prussian."

That's really not too dissimilar to what they did in OTL 1871...

Maybe they'll allow the King of Bavaria to remain as a 'King,' in name at least. I mentioned below that, the Royal line in Hannover returned to Britain after being 'asked' (or threatened by the Prussian throne). They would be the only other powerful German opposition to unification. Maybe we could have a sort-of dual monarchy, with the Catholic 'King' (relatively powerless) in the south and the one with the real power, the Protestant Kaiser in the north.

i doubt that would happen. The N. German states wouldn't stand for it and the people wouldn't either. No I think Southern germany will be a nearly constant thorn in the German side until their is some kind of strong unifying event not evolving a strong catholic or protestant nation (france anyone?). but that can't happen for a couple of decades until the new country gets all of the gears working right.

Faeelin

Banned
Walter_Kaufmann said:
That's really not too dissimilar to what they did in OTL 1871....[/QUOTE[

Umm. I missed the french emperor who tried to conquer europe, and the year of warfare to drive him out of germany where the prince's defected.

You may be thinking of 1866, where prussia annexed much of north germany.

Walter_Kaufmann said:
Maybe they'll allow the King of Bavaria to remain as a 'King,' in name at least. I mentioned below that, the Royal line in Hannover returned to Britain after being 'asked' (or threatened by the Prussian throne). They would be the only other powerful German opposition to unification. Maybe we could have a sort-of dual monarchy, with the Catholic 'King' (relatively powerless) in the south and the one with the real power, the Protestant Kaiser in the north.

Okay. So Prussia, bankrupt and exhausted, threatens the king of britain (who is the elector of hanover) with war if he doesn't give up his ancestral homeland.

"He's the new napoleon! Austria, you get silesia. Russia, you get prussia. Holland, you get the rhineland. Meet in Berlin!"

What about Austria? The death of a foreign minister doesn't mean they're no longer a powerful german nation.

Metternich was THE top minister of the Austrian Empire and the chief organizer. In fact, I don't remember which Emporer it was (the "I am the Emporer and I will have dumplings" one; the same guy that got thrown out on his ass), but Metternich effectively ran the entire Austrian government during the 30s and 40s.

Anyways, I'm sick of arguing. I'll tell you what I want and you tell me how to get there. A powerful, united German Empire before the Crimean War. One in good enough condition to take part in that war.

Faeelin

Banned
Walter_Kaufmann said:
Metternich was THE top minister of the Austrian Empire and the chief organizer. In fact, I don't remember which Emporer it was (the "I am the Emporer and I will have dumplings" one; the same guy that got thrown out on his ass), but Metternich effectively ran the entire Austrian government during the 30s and 40s.

Anyways, I'm sick of arguing. I'll tell you what I want and you tell me how to get there. A powerful, united German Empire before the Crimean War. One in good enough condition to take part in that war.

You don't feel that establishing a strong power in central europe might alter the occurrence of a war almost 40 years down the line?

I've stated my view. Do some research into the clubs that developed in the confederation of the rhine; in some of the philosphies of the time, notably with the democrats. Find about the conditions in Westphalia.

Then concoct a bourguise rising which sees the prussian king as the messianic return of Frederick I of the Empire.

What?

No, I'm asking you how you think we could best get a powerful, united German Empire before the Crimean War, one in good enough condition to take part in that war. You don't believe my POD will work so I'm asking you for a different one, other than mine.

Faeelin

Banned
Walter_Kaufmann said:
What?

No, I'm asking you how you think we could best get a powerful, united German Empire before the Crimean War, one in good enough condition to take part in that war. You don't believe my POD will work so I'm asking you for a different one, other than mine.

Argh. Nevermind. Continue if you wish. My comment was that I feel the war's not going to happen in TTL, and explained how to unify germany in this era.

I can still see a war happening but with pretty different sides. Russia will need a central European empire, so either Austria or Germany. This will either mean that France will be either goaded into getting involve if they have a central European empire, or they'll simply sit tight and say let those crazies kill each other. The wild card is what Britian will do. They could still see a strong Russia with the Cremean as to big of a threat, or they could see aliegnating one of the central euro powers as a bigger threat and take a note out of their play book and sit, watch, and discusse.

Xen said:
Fourth actually :p they also tried to get help from Spain. Though it is a different Germany, OTL Prussia was much more sympathetic to the Union cause. It was part of the east-west division in giving their support to who in that war. Could Germany join the Union in the war against slavery? A way to keep France from gaining an ally in the America's and a slap in Napolean's face?

It would also be intresting to see Germany aligning with Russia in the Crimean War, though that is not your intention. Germany gains influence over Hungary, and the Balkans, perhaps annexing Slovenia, while Russia takes Constantinople. Now Britain and France have two new rivals in the Mediterranean.

This thread is interesting. What if the union wins the war and then turns its attention to Mexico where the French installed Maximillian is having his problems. If the German Empire is more established, maybe British interests combine with those of France and try to keep Mexico in their sphere, if only to keep it out of the US sphere (with its closeness to Prussia).

Could a 'first world war' have started at this point, with the US and German Empire against GB and France? What would be the outcome???

I would probably say Britain and France, which, at this point, are the greatest nations in the world. I don't rightly know though because I have been informed that my POD is not possible.

I doubt will see a World War until the res tof the world has been divided between the variouse rulling parties (most likely France, UK, Germany, and later the US). Until then none of them want a wide scale war.

Even our modern World Wars didn't take up the entire world, (large parts yes, but not all). Seems to me that if England and France become allies against a US Prussian alliance, we can meet many of the criteria, particularly if we can drag Mexico into the picture.

i doubt it most likely a small scale fight between france and the US. Mexico just isn't worth fighting over, while many saw WWI as the fight for European dominance.

I'm not sure I understand Faeelin's idea for uniting Germany.

So, can anyone suggest a POD that will leave a united German Empire a major power in 1850, other than mine, which, apparently, won't work?

Okay. Well, then, if we all, or almost almost all, agree that this is the best of a limited range of choices, where do we go from here?