Ford Motor Company buys Jaguar in 1960?

Ford Motor Company bought the ailing Jaguar Company in 1989 and had a shock in how much of a state it was in especially in regards to its running and it's antiquated model range.

What if Ford wanting an premium brand in Europe bought the Jaguar & Daimler motor companies in 1960 instead?

How would Jaguar/Daimler evolve over the next few decades?
Would the model range expand better and earlier to go with a three car range such as BMW's 3/5/7 Series?
Would there be an earlier introduction of a premium 4x4 to combat the Range Rover?
How successful would this division be against the three German giants?
Would Ford buying Jaguar/Daimler allow them to sell more cars in Europe especially France, Germany and Italy and become more of an household name in these countries?
Would Ford buying the marques in 1960 avoid the malaise and cash problems that occurred when put under the British Leyland umbrella?
Would Ford as in OTL design all future models in Germany like their Ford models?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there was any attempt by Ford to buy Jaguar that far back although I know they were interested in Ferrari a little later on.
If Ford did acquire Jaguar at that time, I'd imagine there would be heavy investment in widening the range. One might imagine that they would go with the Junior GT plan that Jaguar devised in the 60s and that might eventually lead into a 3 series. Merc 190 rivalling car sometime in the 70s. The kind of remedial action required by Jaguar after 1989 wouldn't be needed, or at least not anywhere near the same scale.
As for Jags eventually being designed in Germany, Ford was investing heavily in R&D capability in the UK in the 60s before Ford of Germany really took control of things. I can imagine that a Ford owned Jaguar from the 60s would actually defend the engineering independence of the UK operation a little.
Ultimately, one can imagine that Ford might have a Premier Automotive Group that was a thing of the 60s and 70s rather than the 90s/2000s. That earlier PAG might include Jaguar, Daimler and maybe Cosworth. Ford might still pick up Aston Martin too.
With Jaguar out of the way, this might allow a Leyland or BMC owned Rover to survive and maybe even thrive as a prestige marque.

Would've loved to see that. They could've brought out a whole three car range of Lagonda's using Jaguar/Daimler platforms.
Guess it wouldn't be too far from what Jac Nasser originally wanted PAG to do. Shame that Ford (and now Lawrence Stroll) have left Lagonda to be forgotten; it's a fabulous brand.

What do you think GM's reply would be?

Do you think they'd go for Rover as their own prestige mark in response?
I have wondered what would have happened if Rover had been bought by GM as a European Cadillac/Buick. As with Ford, one wonders if the extra heft of GM's UK operation if it also included the Rover Car Company/Land Rover would shore up the engineering independence of Vauxhall?

If the OTL acquisition of Aston Martin by Ford works ITTL, then I guess the OTL acquisition of Lotus by GM might also work ITTL. In that case, you'd have GM having their own 'Premier Automotive Group' in the UK.

Then again, Lotus in the 60s (which is what we're talking about) seemed to be closer to Ford (like the Lotus Cortina). And I seem to remember that Williams Lyons had his eye on Lotus around that time. That, as well as some personnel crossover between Lotus and Cosworth, might mean that Lotus eventually becomes part of our speculative UK prestige division owned by Ford.

Going back to the idea of Ford buying Jaguar at a time when it had its eye on Ferrari, would it be the case that Ford would use Jaguar as its racing weapon at Le Mans instead of Caroll Shelby designing the GT40 for them.

A world without the GT40 would be a sadder world. But then we might have the XJ13 instead....

Going back to the idea of Ford buying Jaguar at a time when it had its eye on Ferrari, would it be the case that Ford would use Jaguar as its racing weapon at Le Mans instead of Caroll Shelby designing the GT40 for them.

A world without the GT40 would be a sadder world. But then we might have the XJ13 instead....

An idea . . . if Ford owned Jag, would they work with Carrol Shelby on the GT40?, you might get the car call a JT40 or something like it.

I have wondered what would have happened if Rover had been bought by GM as a European Cadillac/Buick. As with Ford, one wonders if the extra heft of GM's UK operation if it also included the Rover Car Company/Land Rover would shore up the engineering independence of Vauxhall?

Would GM then buy Borgward to market these Rovers in Europe of would they just settle for Rover name?

I was thinking that Rover under GM would make then "Britainize" the Opel K.A.D (Kapitan, Admiral & Diplomat) cars and possibly an upmarket Rekford series for the world market especially the USA to expand the Rover range somewhat as K.A.D series do bear the hallmarks of an American styling!

Might be worth a punt!

If the OTL acquisition of Aston Martin by Ford works ITTL,

Outside the box

Ford buys Aston Martin then goes about improving and expanding the range to go after Bentley & Rolls Royce like Mercedes did with their Maybach marque.

I'm thinking that unlike Mercedes, Ford might have more success if they take their time and was gradual about it.

Would GM then buy Borgward to market these Rovers in Europe of would they just settle for Rover name?

I was thinking that Rover under GM would make then "Britainize" the Opel K.A.D (Kapitan, Admiral & Diplomat) cars and possibly an upmarket Rekford series for the world market especially the USA to expand the Rover range somewhat as K.A.D series do bear the hallmarks of an American styling!

Might be worth a punt!
Well, my dad owned a Rover P6 which was a product of the original Rover Car Company of Solihull, not the bastardised plastic 'Rover' of British Leyland or the 'Rover Group' in later years. That Rover Car Company had serious technical competence e.g. the Range Rover, the gas turbine research, the aborted Rover P8 and P10. Even the Rover SD1 (which would have been an authentic Rover if it hadn't been for Austin Morris beancounters parachuted into Solihull after the British Leyland takeover).

That Rover Car Company would need no help from Opel. Not the Opel that made the Ascona my dad also drove! No way!

If GM were to take over the original Rover Car Company, I'd like to think they would invest in it rather than dressing up existing Opels. But given GM's later track record with automotive badge engineering (the Cadillac Cimarron), I'd hate to think what they might do with sticking a Viking longship on the nose of an Opel. Even worse, I'd hate what happened with OTL Saab to happen to Rover ITTL....

If GM were to take over the original Rover Car Company, I'd like to think they would invest in it rather than dressing up existing Opels. But given GM's later track record with automotive badge engineering (the Cadillac Cimarron), I'd hate to think what they might do with sticking a Viking longship on the nose of an Opel. Even worse, I'd hate what happened with OTL Saab to happen to Rover ITTL....

Tbh, I was more thinking of the platforms being used and the front and back ends being completely redesigned but I understand where you're coming from.

Just doing a Rover 200/400 v Honda Bellade makeover wouldn't cut it.