"For Fish, Fur and the Tsar" - A Russian Alaska-TL

Okay, everybody: Here is my newest project!

An important ukase from his Imperial Majesty for the Russian-American Company under His protection
, signed on the 24th November of 1824, regarding the fur-based economical situation of Russian America

1. The hunting quota for grizzlies and other bears is from now on 1,000 per year.
From the year 1834 onward the hunting quota will be 700 per year.

The hunting quota for caribous is from now on 2,250 per year.
From the year 1839 onward the hunting quota will be 1,500 per year.

The hunting quota for foxes is from now on 1,000 per year.
From the year 1839 onward the hunting quota will be 800 per year.

The hunting quota for
both the sea otters and the ermineare from now on 2,000 per year.
From the year 1839 onward the hunting quota will be 1,250 per year.

The Russian-American Company will from now on not buy any fur from non listed fur-bearing animals
nor will it buy fur or meat when the yearly quota is exceeded.

Breeders for ermines and caribous will recieve government funding, based on the individual cases.

Tsar Alexander I of All Russians

Okay, small update, a small newspaper article from Moskovskie Vedomosti (Moscow News) from the issue printed on the 20th December 1825.

Oregon Country still disputed - Meeting of Russian, British and American diplomats regarding North American territories

Saint Petersburg, 16th December: After a long conference between the British ambassador Charles Bagot, the Russian foreign minister Karl Nesselrode and the American ambassador in St. Petersburg Henry Middleton, it was decided to clear out most claims between the three nations, except a small tract of land south of Russian America and the Oregon Country, in Britain also known as Columbia.
The area south of Russian America is claimed by both Russia and Britain, Oregon Country is claimed by Britain and the USA after Russia decided to turn their claims on that territory down.

For the map regarding the *Treaty of Saint Petersburg, see the attachment, which is based on the borders 5 years after the treaty.

alaska world 1830.PNG

Last edited:

Wolfpaw

Banned
I forsee a final realization of the long held AH.commer dream of a Tsarist Alaska after the Russian Civil War :p

Lookin' forward to what you do with this, Iser.

Inspired by RGB, I added Fort Ross visable on the map. But I will assure: No Russian California, but their influence there will stay. *leaves, before he tells to much*

I forsee a final realization of the long held AH.commer dream of a Tsarist Alaska after the Russian Civil War :p

Lookin' forward to what you do with this, Iser.

Someone actually did that on the board-check out "Empire of Alaska". Unfortunately, the author dropped off the face of the earth just as it was getting good, on a cliff-hanger no less.

Okay, here is the next part of the TL. It should be noted that I am doing a quasi-history book approach, partly with texts from the authors, which are not going to be very long or detailed, of that book, but also with source texts, which give more detailed information. So here is the first chapter, talking about the aftermath of the Treaty of Saint Petersburg.

Rising Tension

After the Treaty of Saint Petersburg between Russia, the U.S.A. and Great Britain on the 16th December of 1825, the Oregon Country was still disputed, so from the year 1826 onward, the three nations made several attemps to end the dispute in their favor. On the 22nd February of 1831 the conflict over Oregon Country was resolved in America's favour thanks to their charismatic Secretary of State Martin Van Buren, who later went on to become the eight U.S. president. The U.S. gained the southern part of the territory, while Britain gained the northern half, but also giving the Russians their claimed part of the British half, resulting in a satisfactoinal end for all three countries.

However the southern neighbour of the United States was worried: The Mexican Empire, now sharing an eastern and a northern border with them, resulting in a rising political tension between the two nations. However, the Russian-American relationships improved, because of one thing: The Russians wanted California after they established several settlements there, most notably Fort Ross. Both countries saw the opportunity to weaken their shared rival, so an alliance between the two nations was forged in the year of 1839 with one simple goal: Defeating Mexico.

PS:Regarding California, I lied ;)

Last edited:
Okay, here is the next part of the TL. It should be noted that I am doing a quasi-history book approach, partly with texts from the authors, which are not going to be very long or detailed, of that book, but also with source texts, which give more detailed information. So here is the first chapter, talking about the aftermath of the Treaty of Saint Petersburg.

Rising Tension

After the Treaty of Saint Petersburg between Russia, the U.S.A. and Great Britain on the 16th December of 1825, the Oregon Country was still disputed, so from the year 1826 onward, the three nations made several attemps to end the dispute in their favor. On the 22nd February of 1831 the conflict over Oregon Country was resolved in America's favour thanks to their charismatic Secretary of State Martin Van Buren, who later went on to become the eight U.S. president. The U.S. gained the southern part of the territory, while Britain gained the northern half, but also giving the Russians their claimed part of the British half, resulting in a satisfactoinal end for all three countries.

However the southern neighbour of the United States was worried: The Mexican Empire, now sharing an eastern and a northern border with them, resulting in a rising political tension between the two nations. However, the Russian-American relationships improved, because of one thing: The Russians wanted California after they established several settlements there, most notably Fort Ross. Both countries saw the opportunity to weaken their shared rival, so an alliance between the two nations was forged in the year of 1839 with one simple goal: Defeating Mexico.

PS:Regarding California, I lied ;)

It's difficult to read the small print with my aging eyes. :rolleyes:

A well told story Iserlohn. Pleased to see you also appreciate the diplomatic skills of "little Van the magic man.":)

The Mexican War

After the Texas Revoltution in 1836, the new republic flirted openly with the re-elected U.S. president Martin Van Buren, who originally planned to retire after his first term as president from 1837 to 1841. This angered Mexico, who considered Texas as a part of their territory in spite of the loss during the short war against the patriotic Texans and they declared war on the U.S.A. after the U.S. congress did vote for the annexiation of Texas in 1844, although Van Buren openly admitted that he disliked this decision. As soon as the war started, Van Buren declared that after the war his political career would end, but "that the war needs to end first" and so the Mexican War began.

After a short Mexican offensive, Russia did declare war on Mexico in response, striking from Fort Ross in California, while U.S. troops attacked from Texas. The combined troops of the States and Russian America outnumbered the Mexican troops, with 31,500 soldiers on the Meixcan side and 89,800 soldiers on side of the defenders. After two years of war, the Mexican government surrenderd, after having lossed their territories of Alta California, Baja California and Nuevo Mexico from Russian and American counter-offensives. The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed on the 9th October of 1846, ceding Baja California completly to Russia, Nuevo Mexico to the U.S. and dividing Alta California between Russia and the U.S.A. in exchange for 17.5 million U.S.-Dollars.

The acquisition of California marked a new era for Russian America, now split up into Russian California and Russian Alaska. Mexico however would turn south in an attempt to come to former glory, diplomatically annexing Yucatan only two months after the Treaty of Guagalupe Hidalgo.

P.S.: As another extra, here is a map of the 1847 borders. It might be possible that the borders in regions outside of NA are not right for the year (since the base map I used was from 1845) and if that is the case, I would like to adjust the borders.

EDIT: Soon, I will post something which explains Van Buren's second term, I promise!

alaska world 1847.PNG

Interestingish but...why?
Alaska is just more naff foresty tundra filled land only over a little sea. You need something to draw people in. My suggestion- have some sort of gold rush.
Maybe a Russian ship down California way stumbles on something?

Last edited:
You need a couple of things:

1. Gold rush - it started in 1848 around Sacramento, actually, so the Russian Sonoma settlements are really close by....and Alaska could have a minor gold rush of its own.

2. The Russians need more people and more ships. This is not to say that Russia cannot find more people of deploy more ships, but someone needs to convince the government that it's worth investing in a colonization scheme and some additional brigs to partol Russian America.

3. The Russians and the Americans need to come to a definite understanding...the Americans want trade control, but cannot be allowed to attempt Texas again in California. The Russians could benefit from teh trade, but already sunk enough resources into Russian America to not want to lose it.

4. Crimean war could come up?