Status
Not open for further replies.
So me and @zalezsky have decided to resurrect an old flag game on deviantArt back on deviantArt. Basically you get tagged to create an alternate flag for a given country, create it, and tag someone else. Here is my post about it on dA with more detailed rules: http://fav.me/darpwwu

So, to explain this flag, @zalezsky gave me Nagorno-Karabakh. Don't look for any deep backstory to it, I'm utterly sleep-deprived and still have school and work to do :noexpression:

As a base for the flag here, I used the royal flag of the Principality of Khachen, an Armenian vassal state/province that existed within the area of N-K from the 13th century. The premises is a much more anti-Islamic stance, hence retaining the cross on the flag, but also a much more regionalistic attitude towards Armenia. "We wish to join you but on our terms". Thanks to this attitude, the unrecognized state is called the "Artsakh Republic" (OTL name of the state) by most media instead of just "Nagorno-Karabakh". Hence a historical flag that also contains the Armenian tricolour.

I went along and tagged @zalezsky as the second person in the game and gave him Djibouti so we'll see how he deals with that :)

Me and SoaringAven have decided to resurrect Kristo1594 's flag game, with a few changes. Here are the rules:

1. You will be tagged by someone that already finished their flag.
2. This person will issue you a country from this list: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallery_…
- It must be a flag that hasn't been chosen by anybody in the game before you.
3. You will create an alternate flag for your given country.
- Your flag may incorporate parts of previous flags but it must be in some way original.
4. You will post the flag on dA, link to the flag of the person that tagged you and tag one other person, issuing them a country from the list.
- For continuity's sake please also link to the flag done by the person you tagged when they post it.

Explanation of Flag: Djibouti being an important trade hub between Europe and Asia sits as a major port in the Red Sea. The star symbolizes the role of the state as both naval and land based; hence being placed on the intersection of green and blue. The blue colour also symbolizes the Issa Somali population, and green colour symbolizes the Afar population which both make up the major ethnic groups in the nation. The crescent represents the majority religion: Islam.

PREVIOUS: SoaringAven :thumb651220446:
NEXT: Transnistria by Fenn-O-maniC

flag_game___republic_of_djibouti_by_zalezsky-darr4ta.png

I'm looking for a flag for a state in an independent California, circa 1849. The state is called Sierra, after the mountain chain, and it's making its fortune off gold right now. It's experiencing an influx of immigration from diverse sources, and has growing black and Chinese minorities. The state's values are industry and enlightenment.

If someone could whip up a flag representing the above, I'd appreciate it!

Here are a couple of designs. The first is a basic horizontal tricolor with the Sun of May in the center. The Sun of May is/was prominent in Latin American flags in the 19th century and in this case symbolizes hope, and enlightenment. The sun is above the blue stripe to indicate the sun setting over the Pacific Ocean, which represents California as the gleaming light of the west. The gold represents prosperity and the agricultural potential of the land. The blue represents the Pacific Ocean and California's rivers, teaming with natural riches. The white is the natural innocence and purity of the land. The second variation is a diagonal tricolor was inspired by the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul, which also struggled for independence in the 1840's. The symbology for the colors is the same as the other flag.

I didn't include references to the black and Chinese minorities because, let's face it...the year is 1849. The upper-class "Californios," and more recent US immigrants would have been of Anglo and European Spaniard descent and probably would not have immediately included other ethnic groups. But hey, things might change in the future as they will all get a chance to shape the new republic.

altaca6.png
altaca5.png

i would like to make a request...so you know the movie frozen? what about a fascist-controlled Arendelle flag?

Here are a couple of designs. The first is a basic horizontal tricolor with the Sun of May in the center. The Sun of May is/was prominent in Latin American flags in the 19th century and in this case symbolizes hope, and enlightenment. The sun is above the blue stripe to indicate the sun setting over the Pacific Ocean, which represents California as the gleaming light of the west. The gold represents prosperity and the agricultural potential of the land. The blue represents the Pacific Ocean and California's rivers, teaming with natural riches. The white is the natural innocence and purity of the land. The second variation is a diagonal tricolor was inspired by the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul, which also struggled for independence in the 1840's. The symbology for the colors is the same as the other flag.

I didn't include references to the black and Chinese minorities because, let's face it...the year is 1849. The upper-class "Californios," and more recent US immigrants would have been of Anglo and European Spaniard descent and probably would not have immediately included other ethnic groups. But hey, things might change in the future as they will all get a chance to shape the new republic.

View attachment 299655 View attachment 299657

I like! Thanks. Any more takers?

View attachment 299655 View attachment 299657

At first glance, I thought it was an alternate flag for Chile.

I don't think a country so far north as California would use the sol de mayo on it's flag, since it's an allusion to an Incan deity. The only states that used it were Peru, Argentina and Uruguay.

I had a couple of quick goes, I wanted to combine the colonial (Dutch, Danish and British) aswell as the Ashanti Heritage, so I came up with a couple of rough drafts:

British Gold Coast Emblem with a stylized Danish Stripe incorporating the Netherlands flag.

British Gold Coast Emblem with a Ashanti Style flag with stripes.
QLsDdDo.png

The same but without the stripes, more like the current Ghana flag.

I had a couple of quick goes, I wanted to combine the colonial (Dutch, Danish and British) aswell as the Ashanti Heritage, so I came up with a couple of rough drafts:

British Gold Coast Emblem with a stylized Danish Stripe incorporating the Netherlands flag.

British Gold Coast Emblem with a Ashanti Style flag with stripes.
QLsDdDo.png

The same but without the stripes, more like the current Ghana flag.
Thanks. I like the first one.

i really like the first one, i think it is because of the stripe? like if you take it away i wouldn't like it as much but with it...it just makes it better, congrats!

The USAO already controlled the Americas and Oceania when it went to war with the fascist British Realm in the 1940's. World War III (1939-1946) was the final, cataclysmic confrontation between the United States and the British Empire, and began with an invasion of Australia by the forces of the British East Indies, following the Torres Strait Incident. British landings along the coast of Brazil in ’42 invited an American counter-invasion the next year. The fighting was brutal, and saw extensive contamination of the Kalahari with British chemical and biological weapons. After the decisive Battle of Bloemfontein, the back of the British Army was broken, but the Realm’s diehard “Special Branch” (basically the British version of the SS) began a guerrilla campaign against the occupying American forces, even as the British regulars began surrendering en masse. It wasn’t until the Fall of London in 1946 that the South African SB finally surrendered to the USAO forces. Following the end of hostilities, the US was more or less left to pick up the pieces in South Africa; the SB’s scorched earth policies and extensive use of WMD’s rendered South Africa more or less economically dependent upon the USAO – just as the British Isles had become. The USAO tried propping up an independent Federation of South Africa between 1944 and 1962, but it became clear that there was little will to keep the project afloat in South Africa, and more will to just join the Union. The FSA was repurposed and remade into a sub-federation, similar to what had already been set up in Britain and Ireland earlier in 1958. In 1980, Nelson Mandela becomes Prime Minister of the FSA.

As for the symbolism…like I said, it should have a “South African” look, but also seem like part of the US.

Does this look okay? (Sorry for the long wait, I've been rather busy with school)
The 10 stripes on the right symbolize the 10 states of the federation. The woman in the canton is the figure of Hope, symbolizing Good Hope, which was present on South Africa's OTL arms from 1910-2000.

439907f8739a4fbcaa2b59dfe6e575ea.png

So, next month Mauretania is voting on a referendum to change its flag, with the current and next possible version of the flag below.

GPI1MFU.png

If they vote for it, it means that Jamaica is the last country on Earth to not have red, white or blue on its flag :p

!!Cross-post alert!!
here is a new michigan flag i wiped up:
upload_2016-12-20_8-45-48-png.300491

the ratio is 2:3 (600x400 pixels)
the designed is inspired by the Hawaiian flag which in turn is inspired by the US flag
the green represents the forests and wild life of the state
the white represents the snowy winters
the blue represents the natural fresh(ish) water of the state
the 2 stars represent the 2 peninsilas (the smaller being the upper)
the 5 points on the stars represent the 5 Great lakes
the 2 stars and the 6 stripes represent it being the 26th state

i think it looks good but what are your thoughts?

Here's a flag for an independent Deseret. The word in the middle reads "Industry", and the band reads "One Nation Under God". What do y'all think?

deseret-flag.png

Status
Not open for further replies.