Flag Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross-posting my Weekly Flag Challenge entries for the current round. Here even in the wonderful 300px format (instead of the 150px multi-flag-contest format)!

Hungary-Romania

hungary_romania_by_federalrepublic-d5oodci.png

This one troubled me the most and in the end I chose a design focusing on the Danube, the uniting element of the two countries. The six stars are a callback to both nation's old flags.

Balkan Federation (under Bulgarian suzerainty)

balkan_federation__under_bulgarian_suzerainty__by_federalrepublic-d5oodcn.png

Clearly influenced by the EU in terms of design this flag's colors stand for the Balkans (green), peace (white) and bloodshed (red), while the eleven stars symbolize the eleven member states (Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Pindus, Greece, Bulgaria, Wallachia, Transylvania and Moldavia). The lion head de jure stands for stands for strength, de facto (just like the colors) for Bulgarian domination.

Pan-Fennic Union

pan_fennic_union_by_federalrepublic-d5oodcr.png

The wave/river like bar in the center stands for the maritime tradition of the Fennic states, the colors stand for wealth (gold), the sea (blue) and the winter (white), while the swastika and the Finnish lion stand for the common Fennic identity. The two blue bars at the top and bottom stand for the Arctic and the Baltic Sea respectively.

Pan-Turan Union

pan_turan_union_by_federalrepublic-d5oodcp.png

The colors red and green stand for Islam, just like the crescent. The four stars stand for the four member states: The (rump) Ottoman Empire, Azerbaijan, Alash Orda and South Turkestan.

United Kingdom of France, Italy and Lotharingia (Rheinland)

united_kingdom_of_france__italy_and_lotharingia_by_federalrepublic-d5oodcm.png

For this flag I took some liberties with the terminology. Italy is just confined to the north of the peninsular (thus excluding Two Sicilies) as well as excluding Venetia, while the Rhineland is rather a second Lotharingia consisting out of the Rhineland, Alsace, Lorraine and Belgium (as well as Dutch Limburg). The coat of arms in the center reflects the three member states and French domination. The one in the upper left is the Italian coat of arms, the one in the lower right is the Lotharingian one (very much inspired by Flanders and the Duchy of Jülich). The royal colors of France in this timeline are white, blue and gold. Also of note: France has absorbed the entirety of Navarre though it doesn't have any autonomy like Lotharingia and Italy and is just a regular province.

Holy Union of Malta, Rhodes and Cyprus

holy_union_of_malta__rhodes_and_cyprus_by_federalrepublic-d5oodcl.png

The Maltese imagery is a given here considering that these three islands were once controlled by the Knights Hospitaller. The three golden bars stand for the three constituent islands, while the two blue bars stand for the sea separating them.

Last edited:
This is the first flag I've designed since my long school-caused hiatus here.

Your crosslets seem a little distorted there - vertically stretched or horizonally compressed. There's also some random leftovers at the bottom of the vertical arm of the central cross. Otherwise quite nice, elegant in a vaguely heraldically inspired way. Who or what is it for?

Your crosslets seem a little distorted there - vertically stretched or horizonally compressed. There's also some random leftovers at the bottom of the vertical arm of the central cross. Otherwise quite nice, elegant in a vaguely heraldically inspired way. Who or what is it for?

It's not finished but I was trying to do my own take on Transcaucasia - specifically a union between Armenia and Georgia, combining the flag of the Kingdom of Georgia and the proposed flag designed by Father Ghevont Alishan in the year 1885.

Request: Vaguely-American white banner with an 1800s-era heraldic vulture or condor. No crown, and with something about freedom on it. EDIT: Ooh, and work in a white upside-down crescent and red.

what do you think of this

I don't like the second communist flag very much, but the others are nice. IIRC the Lithuanian and Belarusian CoAs you have there are actually slightly different depictions of the same dude, a link to the common past of the two nations. It kind of looks like you gave the rider two sets of spurs in the merged CoA.

Status
Not open for further replies.