Filipinas: La Gloriosa y Más Allá

It might be a bit too early to ask, but how's our Korea doing TTL?
Korea? Well, the same old as OTL, except that the Korean Royal Family were sending emissaries to other parts of Asia, Manila included, to search for their summer (read: exile) residence once Tokyo had indeed an intention to annex Korea as part of its growing empire.

Korea? Well, the same old as OTL, except that the Korean Royal Family were sending emissaries to other parts of Asia, Manila included, to search for their summer (read: exile) residence once Tokyo had indeed an intention to annex Korea as part of its growing empire.

I may have mentioned before but there was a major plan to send Koreans to emigrate to the Philippines, as reducing "revolutionary elements" for the Japanese and forming a large support base for the provisional government. It never got off the ground because of the timing(late 1930s, I believe). Perhaps this plan could be jumpstarted in this case?

I may have mentioned before but there was a major plan to send Koreans to emigrate to the Philippines, as reducing "revolutionary elements" for the Japanese and forming a large support base for the provisional government. It never got off the ground because of the timing(late 1930s, I believe). Perhaps this plan could be jumpstarted in this case?
Possibly, especially if the Korean expatriate community in Manila (and other major Philippine cities) included some members of the Korean royal family, financing the moderate rebels back home with the help of the Provisional Government based in Shanghai

Possibly, especially if the Korean expatriate community in Manila (and other major Philippine cities) included some members of the Korean royal family, financing the moderate rebels back home with the help of the Provisional Government based in Shanghai

So in this case, instead of millions going north to the plains of Manchuria(and really, millions left to escape persecution), they'll mostly be going to the warm islands of the Philippines. :D
I wonder what jobs they may be able to have - maybe just farmers? who knows.

So in this case, instead of millions going north to the plains of Manchuria(and really, millions left to escape persecution), they'll mostly be going to the warm islands of the Philippines. :D
I wonder what jobs they may be able to have - maybe just farmers? who knows.
Realistically, I think that the Koreans ITTL would still settle in Manchuria because of the climate. For the Korean expat community in the Philippines, I think I'd estimate that they're between 10,000 and 25,000. Most of them would be active in retail trade, actually.

Realistically, I think that the Koreans ITTL would still settle in Manchuria because of the climate. For the Korean expat community in the Philippines, I think I'd estimate that they're between 10,000 and 25,000. Most of them would be active in retail trade, actually.

Is the Philippine climate that unsuitable to a Korean though? Manchuria's pretty freezing and inhospitable, you could freeze to death at bed in a home with the fire on. It'll be the opposite obviously down south, but being warm's really better than cold.

Is the Philippine climate that unsuitable to a Korean though? Manchuria's pretty freezing and inhospitable, you could freeze to death at bed in a home with the fire on. It'll be the opposite obviously down south, but being warm's really better than cold.
The Philippines and its tropical climate could be beneficial to a Korean expat actually. Remember those who went to Yucatán to work in the plantations there?

The Philippines and its tropical climate could be beneficial to a Korean expat actually. Remember those who went to Yucatán to work in the plantations there?
*sigh* If you mean the Spaniards, they live in a climate very different from Korea. If you mean Africans, I don't think they were used as slaves at this time. My point is that Korea has its fair share of very heavy rains with monsoon seasons, it wouldn't be a very big and unpleasant surprise when visiting the Philippines.

Announcement

As I'm currently busy writing the "full" version of this TL in the Writer's Forum, I invite you to take a look and leave a comment by clicking this LINK