Extinct Animals Thread

What would be the effect of several large Passenger Pigeon flocks on Commercial and General Aviation in the Midwest US? Not to mention driving conditions in and around a town where a flock decided to land.

Well, IIRC it was only a problem twice a year along predictable routes so you could plan accordingly. It would only be an issue at takeoff/landing if/when the flocks were clouding over the airports (in flight you'd be well over the flocks). I could see if the flocks swarm the airport you could delay/cancel/divert flights just as you would for a massive thunderstorm. When/if *radar appears the flocks would show up.

Well, IIRC it was only a problem twice a year along predictable routes so you could plan accordingly. It would only be an issue at takeoff/landing if/when the flocks were clouding over the airports (in flight you'd be well over the flocks). I could see if the flocks swarm the airport you could delay/cancel/divert flights just as you would for a massive thunderstorm. When/if *radar appears the flocks would show up.

I just imagined a combative *Canada and *US where an invasion force flies in behind a flock of passenger pigeons to hide their *radar signature. Awesome.

I think we got off on the wrong foot here. My apologies, I consider myself to be an animal-buff so I find it hard to let this kind of thing go. On many matters you are correct, and I acknowledge that (I was being considerably narrow-minded).

Don't worry about it. I was a little less laid back than normal too, partly because I was coming down with the flu, though I didn't know it at the time.