Explosion heard around the world... Or Elser succeeds

November 18th, Berlin, Ersatzheer HQ

General Friedrich Fromm read through the fourth page of readiness report of new divisional formations. Since the war started AWOL reports were more or less steady, but in the last week, since negotiations has started AWOL reports among junior officers and conscripted men spiked. Most of the reports came from green units, which have been never committed to combat. This was unwelcomed, though expected development. Unsurprisingly, Feldpolizei was notified, but sheer volume of desertions prevented in depth investigation. Those Feldpolizei has managed to locate and apprehend, were treated more leniently in that they were not put in front of firing squad, but their future life in the army was going to be "a world of sh*t" both metaphorically and literally.

Still, thousands of soldiers were missing. He decided to notify OKH about situation, and to issue a warning to COs of all units to take more precautions to prevent further deterioration of combat ability of troops.

Last edited:
November 18th, 1754, Chartwell Manor

Since he submitted his resignation to the position of the First Lord of Admiralty, Churchill had very little to do. He couldn't believe that Chamberlain would agree to negotiate with Germans. Not being able to go along with the bankrupted policy, he resigned. He knew many of his colleagues that were unhappy with this new policy. Duff and Anthony were the most prominent among them and they decided to use every means possible to point out the dangers of this new appeasement. It was clear that their warnings were falling to deaf ears. Government proclamations presented the peace negotiations as virtual victory. It was widely pointed out that Germans asked for negotiations, that they agreed to the demands of PM. Nobody mentioned the fate of Poland, Czechoslovakia or other countries invaded by Germany or Italy. It was clear that regime in Germany was unchanged. Churchill pointed all this in his recent article he wrote for The Daily Telegraph, but it left no lasting impression. He received some support from his constituency, but that was it. He was deeply disappointed that British public would react is way.

Yesterday he received a letter from Edward Benesh, former President of Czechoslovakia. In the letter he requested a meeting with Churchill. Churchill had no idea why, but he agreed to see mr. Benesh tommorow. He also decided to invite Eden to the meeting, in order to have better background on foreign policy. There was not much he could do for mr. Benesh, but he hoped that in the future this could change. And it was good to prepare for future. However unlikely it might seem right now. He took glass from the table and poured another shot of his favorite Scotish whiskey.

Last edited:
November 18th, Berlin, Ersatzheer HQ

General Friedrich Fromm read through the fourth page of readiness report of new divisional formations. Since the war started AWOL reports were more or less steady, but in the last week, since negotiations has started AWOL reports among junior officers and conscripted men spiked. Most of the reports came from green units, which have been never committed to combat. This was unwelcomed, though expected development. Unsurprisingly, Feldpolizei was notified, but sheer volume of desertions prevented in depth investigation. Those Feldpolizei has managed to locate and apprehend, were treated more leniently in that they were not put in front of firing squad, but their future life in the army was going to be "a world of sh*t" both metaphorically and literally.

Still, thousands of soldiers were missing. He decided to notify OKH about situation, and to issue a warning to COs of all units to take more precautions to prevent further deterioration of combat ability of troops.

Are you sure about that?
I don´t quite see why they would desert now? After all there are peace negotiations going on?

Not to mention that being a deserter could have long lasting consequences. I mean we´re talking about orderly Germany here. :)
First of all they´re probably registered at their local "residents registration office" (electoral roll, identity papers etc.).
If you move to another town you "un-register" at the old registration office and register at the new one.
Plus, if they get a job they pay fees / taxes for the social safety net (health insurance, retirement etc.). Where they need "papers" once again.
Germans do have a paper trail so to speak. :)

Which means that it is a bit difficult to hide.
So why risk deserting if you might not have to fight?
The government can make it even more unpleasant. With a new bill demanding that prospective employers or universities check that young males have proof of discharge from the armed forces.

Please bear with me. Oh you of little faith. :cool: ;) I am preparing a new chapter. Pretty soon it will be clear.

Good thread. One thing I remember is that Goring specifically told his wife that he would have made coming to peace with the allies a priority had he come to power in Nov 1939.

Also, George Bonnet is no longer foreign minister. He was forced out a few days after the war started, due to his anti-war stance, and I believe was then education minister. I believe Daladier took over the job in addition to being prime minister.

I don't think the allies would have insisted on Germany giving up Austria and the Sudetenland at this point. The intriguing question is, if Germany allowed a smaller Poland, with all the old pre-World War one area going back to Germany, would this be a basis for discussion, combined with the reintroduction of an independent Czechia.
I fully agree,however,certain quere are obvious here,i.e. Germany would never agree to the re-institution of the status of the corridor,and of course the allies would never persuade the Soviet Union to liberate the Polish lands it held in terms of the Rinbedrop-Molotov pact.

Eurofed

Banned
Unless the "desertions" are a facade to hide troops movements for a certain imminent "domestic deployment". ;)

Unless Stalin or the Japanese generals get way overconfident, Churchill is not coming back from the political wilderness. Benes, likewise, is not going to come back into power. Even if (quite likely) the peace settlement restores an independent Czechia, the pro-German Hacha government is going to stay in power, since it was the legal one before the German invasion and the Protectorate regime kept nominally into place (Benes resigned from President and left CZS just after the Munich Agreement).

Last edited:

Eurofed

Banned
Germany would never agree to the re-institution of the status of the corridor, and of course the allies would never persuade the Soviet Union to liberate the Polish lands it held in terms of the Rinbedrop-Molotov pact.

Of course not on both counts, but the British and the French are certainly not going to ask for such unrealistic and unfeasible demands. Independent Poland shall simply be restored in its core lands, with the 1807 border in the west and the 1941 border in the east (admittedly a somewhat worse deal than the 1947 one, due to the loss of Bialystok, but it can't be helped). Likewise, even if and when independent Czechia is restored, it shall surely stay separate from Slovakia.

Last edited:
November 18th, late night, near Leipzig

Manfred Dreiser was on furlough till two days ago. Manfred was saddened by recent events that have befallen his country. First Poles attacked Germany, then war was declared by English and French. When everything seemed to be going smoothly, Fuehrer was killed by terrorists. Manfred was so stricken with grief that he was sent home to recover. During his furlough Manfred met a friend from Hitler Jugend. Tall and blonde, Adolf was immediately recognized as pure Aryan by recruiters. He also had some leverage as his father was high ranking figure in elite SS. Manfred joined Adolf for a beer in a pub. After a talk he had with Adolf he decided not to return to his unit. He was supposed to return to his unit, 1st Infanterie regiment of 76th Infanterie division yesterday. Instead he reported to an SS office in Potsdam, where he lived. He was issued new papers, on different name and sent to Poland. Now he was on his way, in a truck with similarly looking young men apparently like him.

November 19th, near Essen, Germany

Recently built barracks housed the first SS unit formed as a full military formation - Verfügungs Division. Unit suffered high casualties in Poland, drawing anger of Heer commanders it was subordinated to. After transfer to the west division was rejuvenated by new recruits and a serious training regimen instituted. Three regiments of the division Deutchland, Germania and Der Fuehrer were composed of the fittest and most indoctrinated young men, drawn almost exclusively from Hitler Jugend. Enmity of the regular army officers towards this paramilitary formation ensured that only an insignificant number of troops trained in real army was available to the new service.

November 19th, 1132, Warsaw

Reinhard shook hands with Frick and Koch, saying "So, that is the plan. We must be ready for anything. As soon as it starts, Reichsfuehrer will come here and personally take command. Herr Rosenberg will come here tommorow and your task is to prepare political end of this operation. Be careful, Reich depends on us." "Jawohl, herr Gruppenfuehrer!" answered both men in unison.

At the same time, Modlin Poland

Sepp Dietrich stood in front of rows of soldiers. According to the latest count, unit consisted of around 15000 troops. The boys who reported in last two days seemed eager. They were somewhat better trained than troops SS formed on their own, but still left a lot to be desired. At least they were well armed. Orders from Heinrich Himmler left little doubt what was to be expected. He hoped that he will live through this.

1500, near Essen, HQ of recently formed Sonderkommando Hoepner

Hoepner greeted general Stumpf. After saluting, commander of the 3rd Panzer division reported "Compound is surrounded, herr General! We are observing them carefully. My infantry regiments have taken positions and as ordered, they are camouflaged. Panzers are deployed 6 kilometers away, and ready to move 10 minutes upon receiving the order."

Hoepner thanked Stumpf, and dismissed him. He was ready. Orders to prepare Operation Schwarz came from OKH, directly from Halder. Witzleben brought them in sealed envelope during one of the friendly visits. Hoepner and Witzleben were good friends, so the visit was not out of ordinary. When Hoepner read the orders, he was surprised. He managed to arrange movement of two of divisions from his corps, thanks to coverup orders issued by Halder. Notional aim of the Sonderkommando Hoepner was to test cooperation between panzer and infantry divisions in marching conditions. This was clever camouflage, as it allowed Hoepner to move his divisions around without raising alarms of other commanders. Even present blocking of the SS barracks was represented to his subordinates as training.

Last edited:
Ouch. Thanks a lot. Not much I can do about it earlier in text. From now in it will be spelled correctly. it was the case of the eyes see what brain wants to see on my part.

Uhuh, that is my own impression projected on characters. Don't know why, but to me Himmler always looked kind of evil. I guess it is the eyes.
My thoughts entirely! let's not forget that the circle of people Shaby speaks about are people who knew of Himmler's activities,if it were not enough to look at chis face.

November 17th, 1147, The Hague Permanent Court of International Arbitration

At one of the world oldest international institutions, The Court was selected to host the second great peace convention of this century. Germany requested good offices of Netherlands. The term of convention was settled for today. Representatives of the negotiating parties arrived, and hallway in front of the conference room was filled with lively conversation. The groups formed by nationality and everyone was careful not to mix with their enemies. Nobody expected much of this first meeting and they all knew it was necessary to establish the first contact, test the waters and most importantly secure a truce for the duration of negotiations. Then it was time to enter the conference room. The room was prepared with a speaking stand and three large tables arranged so that heads of states and their associates could feel comfortable. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to The Hague." opened Dirk Jan de Geer "We have gathered here in order to secure the peace in Europe. The three nations represented here have agreed to use good offices of this Government to facilitate the negotiation and help them arrive to just solution to their ongoing conflict. I regret that government of Soviet Union has declined an invitation to come here. They stated that current situation is not of their making, that they are not at war with any of the powers invited and have no issue they feel need be solved by peace conference. For the rest of us here, I sincerely hope our efforts here will bear fruit and that in the following days, we will be remembered as peacemakers and not warlords. May God help us all. I pronounce The Hague Peace conference of 1939. open. I invite sir Neville Chamberlain to this stand and represent the position of the His Majestys Government."

Chamberlain stood up and walked to the speaker stand, displaying dignity characteristic to British. "Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed colleagues, in the name of His Majesty, King George VI and my own name I welcome your presence here at this moment. That we all gathered here shows that basic humanity, civility and honor that characterised our continent since time beyond the memory can still be counted upon. Unfortunate events that brought this war on us could perhaps have been averted had good will been present a few months ago. However, we got entagled in this struggle. Thankfully it has not yet become the struggle to life and death. If we all come to an agreement here, we can back off from the abbys we stare down to. I am authorised by the House of Commons to accept following conditions in order to establish truce and comence negotiations between our nations. We expect German government to immediately order evacuation of at least some areas of Poland proper as a further sign of goodwill. We demand that evidence be provided that these orders are issued and complied to by German forces on the ground. Also, we expect that German troops will retreat from French border, thus removing any possibility of accidental escalation of the conflict. Proper demilitarized zone will be established as a result of this conference to be maintained and control by international forces as determined on this conference. We request the German government accept those preliminary conditions in order to continue this peace process. Should the German government request additional time, provisional truce will be accepted for duration of three days. It will only be extended beyond this date if aforementioned conditions are accepted. If German government finds any of those request unjust, I remind them that this war was the result of their actions. War could have been stopped or avoided entirely had they not chosen to embark on course of action that forced us to issue the Declaration of war on September 3rd this year, despite ample warning His Majestys government gave before the final step. I invite French Prime minister Daladier to approach the stand." finished Chamberlain. All present applauded, although German delegation was less than enthusiastic about it. They resented harsh words spoken at the end of Chamberlain address.

Daladier approached the stand "Thank you Sir Chamberlain. Ladies and gentlemen I can only echo the words of my friend and ally with little to add. I will only insist that in the view of Government of Republic Of France which I represent, the demilitarization of border areas is the condition sine-qua-non. We will not negotiate it away and we will not allow it to be impotent. We will request efficient control by international forces and representatives of all three interested countries namely Belgium, Germany and France. I now invite mr. Goering to address this convention and state Germanys position."

"Ladies and gentlemen, I would like first to express gratitude to our hosts for organizing this meeting on such short notice. Second, Government of Germany, despite protestations of Allied power does not and will not take sole blame for the conflict we are in. We are all aware that borders on the east were not satisfactorily established after the previous war. Instead of facilitating just and diplomatic solution, they propped up Poland by their Guarantee, thus inhibiting any efforts to peacefully adjust the borders between two neighbours. Germany requsted only the lands rightfuly belonging to us. Nothing more. Yet, Poland declined all German offers, no doubt encouraged by unlimited diplomatic support it received from Governments of Britain and France. Germany was left with only one option. Even then, we requested only the right to have contiguous territory and to protect our citizens from escalating Polish terror. But I am willing to leave all this behind us. I have already given orders to prepare evacuation of General Governance. I also ordered the naval forces of Germany to stop all activity and return to port. As this order was sent uncoded, you must be aware of it. As for the retreat from common border, I will point out that it is not German troops that invaded French territory, but the opposite. We will agree to retreat only when French troops currently occupying German territory retreat to within French borders. German government wants peace, make no mistake about that. But we will not be humiliated again. Ever again. We are willing to make any concesions that are honorable and just, but Britain and France will never again dictate peace to Germany. However, despite everything, in order to end suffering of all nations, I accept the conditions of the truce as laid out by sir Chamberlain. Germany will endeavour to the utmost for the success of this convention. I thank you for your attention. I hope that we will meet here again in three days."
Proper etickette of adressing English Gentry here requires a single correction:the English Prime Minister should be adressed as "Sir Nevil" not 'Sir Chamberlaine'

Just found this and caught up. Interesting so far. I wonder who will win ~ Goering or Himmler. They look to be moving at the same time, so who will get the decapating first strike in? ;)

Yes, given the new international situation, Yugoslavia is pretty much the only way Mussolini can do some expansion. Neither Goering nor the Entente are going to mind much. And for various reasons (the is the war the Italian army has been preparing for a long time; no logistic bottleneck and strategic contiguity to Italy; no British support; Hungarian and Bulgarian intervention) Italy is going to fare much better in this war than in OTL Greece.
Mussolini would have to count Bulgaria out-weak economy,dissolved army after the crushing defeats in WWI,and fear of definite Greek invasion to annex Eastern Romylia, if they turned against its friend and ally Yugoslavia;Turkey would definately get invoved and invade Bulgaria to recover losses from the Balcan Wars.
Hungary,under heavy pressure by the Germans on admiral Horty had declared war on Yugoslavia in 41 but its Minister of External Affairs count Teleki had committed suicide instead of accepting this international redicule of his country.It is doubtful that they would invade Yugoslavia...under Italian pressure.In short,leave out the Balcans from this
OTL,the parametres are too...convoluted.

November 19th, 1752, Reichskanzlei

Goering was very satisfied with the news Halder brought. Everything was ready. The single SS unit was surrounded. SS HQ were under surveillance by battalion from Brandenburg regiment and reinforcements from Berlin garrison were at hand. One infantry division was ready to entrain from western front and return to Berlin if anything went wrong. He ordered Halder to commence operation at 0600. Houses of all senior SS officers were staked out by groups of soldiers from Brandenburg, from it's another battalion, while the rest was kept in reserve. Garrisons in East Prussia and General Government were put on alert. Goering decided that he would follow action from army HQ at Zossen.

At six o'clock Funk came to Goerings office, carrying a piece of paper in his hand. It was the draft of the announcement Goering wanted broadcasted at 0700 in the morning. Funk was a bit amazed by the text, but he supposed that Praesident had his reasons and that allegations in the announcement were true. "Herr Praesident, this is the announcement. I must ask, is it true? Could Himmler commit such a treachery?". Goering looked at Funk and asked "Do you doubt my sources? Do you think I would invent something like that? And consider the following - Heydrich was supposed to take care of security for the meeting. He wasn't there. SS personnel that survived explosion disappeared. They even went so far to arrest some poor guy and make him confess. Herr Canaris didn't get anywhere near investigation and Himmler himself told me that the investigation of Esler never proved anything. I suspect he lied to me. Tomorrow this announcement will uncover full extent of their betrayal to entire world. I will rid Germany of this scum and make peace with our enemies at the same time. Herr Funk, if anything and I mean anything at all of this leaks before tomorrow morning, I will hold you personally responsible. That is all herr Funk. And don't forget the announcement." Goering said, handing the paper to Funk. "I read it and I approve the content. Read it personally.". Funk nodded, took the paper and left the office. Next, Goering took the receiver of the hook and said "Call my home.". Few seconds later he heard the voice of his wife. " Emmy, please pack up and get Edda. Driver will pick you up and take you to my train. You will go to Emmyhall and stay there for a few days. I will join you in three days." He heard worried voice of Emmy from the other side "Why Hermann? Is everything all right?" she asked. "Of course it is. I just don't want you near Berlin next few days. I've ordered Koenigsberg garrison to provide a security company for the lodge. Don't worry about anything. See you soon, love."

Meanwhile, in Warsaw

Heydrich decided to stay in Warsaw as the blizzard opened up and it was quite unsafe to travel back to Berlin that night. He telephoned HQ and notified them of his absence tomorrow.

Last edited:

abc123

Banned
November 19th, 1752, Reichskanzlei

Goering was very satisfied with the news Halder brought. Everything was ready. The single SS unit was surrounded. SS HQ were under surveillance by battalion from Brandenburg regiment and reinforcements from Berlin garrison were at hand. One infantry division was ready to entrain from western front and return to Berlin if anything went wrong. He ordered Halder to commence operation at 0600. Houses of all senior SS officers were staked out by groups of soldiers from Brandenburg, from it's another battalion, while the rest was kept in reserve. Garrisons in East Prussia and General Government were put on alert. Goering decided that he would follow action from army HQ at Zossen.

At six o'clock Funk came to Goerings office, carrying a piece of paper in his hand. It was the draft of the announcement Goering wanted broadcasted at 0700 in the morning. Funk was a bit amazed by the text, but he supposed that Praesident had his reasons and that allegations in the announcement were true. "Herr Praesident, this is the announcement. I must ask, is it true? Could Himmler commit such a treachery?". Goering looked at Funk and asked "Do you doubt my sources? Do you think I would invent something like that? And consider the following - Heydrich was supposed to take care of security for the meeting. He wasn't there. SS personnel that survived explosion disappeared. They even went so far to arrest some poor guy and make him confess. Herr Canaris didn't get anywhere near investigation and Himmler himself told me that the investigation of Esler never proved anything. I suspect he lied to me. Tomorrow this announcement will uncover full extent of their betrayal to entire world. I will rid Germany of this scum and make peace with our enemies at the same time. Herr Funk, if anything and I mean anything at all of this leaks before tomorrow morning, I will hold you personally responsible. That is all herr Funk. And don't forget the announcement." Goering said, handing the paper to Funk. "I read it and I approve the content. Read it personally.". Funk nodded, took the paper and left the office. Next, Goering took the receiver of the hook and said "Call my home.". Few seconds later he heard the voice of his wife. " Emmy, please pack up and get Edda. Driver will pick you up and take you to my train. You will go to Emmyhall and stay there for a few days. I will join you in three days." He heard worried voice of Emmy from the other side "Why Hermann? Is everything all right?" she asked. "Of course it is. I just don't want you near Berlin next few days. I've ordered Koenigsberg garrison to provide a security company for the lodge. Don't worry about anything. See you soon, love."

Heydrich decided to stay in Warsaw as the blizzard opened up and it was quite unsafe to travel back to Berlin that night. He telephoned HQ and notified them of his absence tomorrow.

Do Goering really think's that SS is responcible for assasination in Burgbierkeller or is that only version for Funk?

Do Goering really think's that SS is responcible for assasination in Burgbierkeller or is that only version for Funk?

He can't really know at this point. Partly he believes it, and partly he is just using the ambiguity.

abc123

Banned
He can't really know at this point. Partly he believes it, and partly he is just using the ambiguity.

Yes, the plot really looks ( without hindsight ) like SS setup, because in eyes of allmost evrybody it's impossible that one lone man do something like that all by it self.

Last edited: