Explosion heard around the world... Or Elser succeeds

Eurofed

Banned
I wonder how history shall name the coming anti-SS purge. Night of Little Knives, pehaps ?? ;)

Yes, history repeating itself, but quite necessay if Europe has to have peace and civility. :D

Goodbye Winston. This time no more regenerations for you, unless Stalin or Tojo do something stupid. :p

Last edited:

abc123

Banned
Chamberlain opened the meeting "We have agreed to start first round of negotiations in two days in The Hague.

Is Hague really the best place for negotiations? Considering Venlo incident just a few day's earlier...

Maybe Lisbon or Stockholm or Bern or Kopehagen are better?

Is Hague really the best place for negotiations? Considering Venlo incident just a few day's earlier...

Maybe Lisbon or Stockholm or Bern or Kopehagen are better?

Well I choose The Hague for its closeness to France, Germany and Britain. Besides, Venlo wasn't really Dutch fault. They issued protest to Germans at once. Besides, the only country neighboring all three parties and not being in war. Germans might refuse Switzerland, for reason they may not want to identify negotiations with League of Nations, and Denmark is not really influential country nor significant country. Portugal could be thought of being British ally. I thought about Oslo or Stockholm, but The Hague seemed acceptable.

Well I choose The Hague for its closeness to France, Germany and Britain. Besides, Venlo wasn't really Dutch fault. They issued protest to Germans at once. Besides, the only country neighboring all three parties and not being in war. Germans might refuse Switzerland, for reason they may not want to identify negotiations with League of Nations, and Denmark is not really influential country nor significant country. Portugal could be thought of being British ally. I thought about Oslo or Stockholm, but The Hague seemed acceptable.
There is always Belgium, neutral until 10/05/1940 in OTL.

abc123

Banned

But, Venlo really was Dutch fault. Their Military Intelligence worked in joint operation with MI6 against Germany.
That's why IMO Hague isn't good choice. Also, some country don't have to be important to serve as place for peace talks...

Eurofed

Banned
Wouldn't it be short knives in that case?

I suppose so. A funny note is that the SS carried daggers, so the name may also refer to them this way, but in this case they are the ones being purged. Unless the name implies that the "short knives" are the ones being wiped out. :D

1437 Prinz Albrechtstrasse 9

Himmler furiously stomped through the hallway of HQ building. Passing by the office of his deputy, he shouted "Tell Reinhard to report immediately" to the guard. He pushed the door of his office and stepped into it. As he was taking off his coat, Heydrich appeared through the door. "Good afternoon, herr Reichsfuehrer!" he called. "Come in Reinhard, and the afternoon is not good. Not good at all. Brush off the dust from the Case 'Hunter'. Reinhard we must make it look like an accident of some sort." It was little known fact that SS had plans for assasination of many important persons in Nazi hierarchy. This planning was instituted after July 1934 and held in secret to be used only in contingency that some members of party proved unreliable. Only three (well, now two) people knew of this - Hitler, Himmler and Heydrich. "Herr Reichsfuehrer, it will be very difficult. Especially now." said Heydrich. "Don't you think I know that? Find a way. Use someone trustworthy. Do it secretly." ordered Himmler finally. "Jawohl herr Reichsfuehrer." Heydrich, with his high standing and respect he earned from his superior officer could allow himself to oppose him. But now Himmler was furious. Even Heydrich didn't dare to provoke him. 'So, President and Himmler had final argument this morning. It seems president has thrown his towel in with the generals if Himmler is in such a fowl mood.' Heydrich decided to obey the commands of the man he owed so much too. But he also decided that he will not leave himself without a back-up plan. He went about his business of the day and in the course of planning for Case Hunter he found a piece of information buried in pile of dossiers on Goering he retrieved from SS archive. 'This could be it he thought! This is exactly what I need!'. Heydrich picked up the phone and called the SS operative service "Heydrich here. Get me Ernst!" he said to the operator who responded. As he heard Kaltenbrunner "Ja?" Heydrich simply said "Report to my office, immediately!" and hung up, without waiting for "Jawohl!". After this meeting, he finished his activities in the office and went home. In the spirit of his decision, he opened his closet and brush off his old Navy uniform. He might need it one of these days.

November 16th 2035 Prague, apartment overlooking Charles Bridge

Viktor Laszlo emerged from the dark chamber. He just developed negatives of the photos he had taken yesterday. He was satisfied with the sharpness of the images. He had to be careful taking them, for if anyone noticed that he took photos his life would be in danger. Two of his cameras were confiscated by Gestapo men who overturned his apartment that night. Although he got a receipt, he didn't care whether they were ever returned. He managed to conceal the most important camera, the one with photos of massacre. He knew that images he made must be made public to the world. He somehow had to show these images to someone outside of Germany. He didn't care for his own life anymore than the people who marched on the bridge did. He wasn't a Czech, but in his three years of studying photography on Prague University he grew to like the Czechs. He didn't go to protest for being a foreign resident, he didn't want any trouble. But people who got out certainly didn't deserve the treatment they got that day. 'Machinegunning unarmed people like that. Only barbarians could come up with that idea' thought Viktor.

During the day he found out that two of his colleagues from the University were gone. One was shot dead on the bridge, another beaten and arrested in the police action that followed the massacre. Her destiny was unknown. Not even the family of unfortunate girl was notified of her whereabouts. This only strengthened his will. Fortunately for him, Germans cooperated with his idea of returning to Hungary and closed down University for good giving him an excuse. His leave would not be overly suspicious. He decided to hide negatives in his belt and try to smuggle them across the border. He would think what to do next later, once the first step was passed and he was safely out of Third Reich. 'Maybe Ilsa...' but he was getting ahead of himself.

Last edited:

Eurofed

Banned
Interesting. So the SS are setting their own coup plans into motion, as it were to be expected. I wonder if Heydrich's personal preparations have more to do with improving the chances of a SS takeover, or setting the safeguards into place to secure his own skin if it fails, or both at the same time. Differently from Himmler, he was smart and pragmatic enough to be able to sell out the SS radicals for a pardon and recycle himself as a moderate in a Goering-Heer regime (with a much diminished power base, of course).

November 17th, 1147, The Hague Permanent Court of International Arbitration

At one of the world oldest international institutions, The Court was selected to host the second great peace convention of this century. Germany requested good offices of Netherlands. The term of convention was settled for today. Representatives of the negotiating parties arrived, and hallway in front of the conference room was filled with lively conversation. The groups formed by nationality and everyone was careful not to mix with their enemies. Nobody expected much of this first meeting and they all knew it was necessary to establish the first contact, test the waters and most importantly secure a truce for the duration of negotiations. Then it was time to enter the conference room. The room was prepared with a speaking stand and three large tables arranged so that heads of states and their associates could feel comfortable. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to The Hague." opened Dirk Jan de Geer "We have gathered here in order to secure the peace in Europe. The three nations represented here have agreed to use good offices of this Government to facilitate the negotiation and help them arrive to just solution to their ongoing conflict. I regret that government of Soviet Union has declined an invitation to come here. They stated that current situation is not of their making, that they are not at war with any of the powers invited and have no issue they feel need be solved by peace conference. For the rest of us here, I sincerely hope our efforts here will bear fruit and that in the following days, we will be remembered as peacemakers and not warlords. May God help us all. I pronounce The Hague Peace conference of 1939. open. I invite sir Neville Chamberlain to this stand and represent the position of the His Majestys Government."

Chamberlain stood up and walked to the speaker stand, displaying dignity characteristic to British. "Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed colleagues, in the name of His Majesty, King George VI and my own name I welcome your presence here at this moment. That we all gathered here shows that basic humanity, civility and honor that characterised our continent since time beyond the memory can still be counted upon. Unfortunate events that brought this war on us could perhaps have been averted had good will been present a few months ago. However, we got entagled in this struggle. Thankfully it has not yet become the struggle to life and death. If we all come to an agreement here, we can back off from the abbys we stare down to. I am authorised by the House of Commons to accept following conditions in order to establish truce and comence negotiations between our nations. We expect German government to immediately order evacuation of at least some areas of Poland proper as a further sign of goodwill. We demand that evidence be provided that these orders are issued and complied to by German forces on the ground. Also, we expect that German troops will retreat from French border, thus removing any possibility of accidental escalation of the conflict. Proper demilitarized zone will be established as a result of this conference to be maintained and control by international forces as determined on this conference. We request the German government accept those preliminary conditions in order to continue this peace process. Should the German government request additional time, provisional truce will be accepted for duration of three days. It will only be extended beyond this date if aforementioned conditions are accepted. If German government finds any of those request unjust, I remind them that this war was the result of their actions. War could have been stopped or avoided entirely had they not chosen to embark on course of action that forced us to issue the Declaration of war on September 3rd this year, despite ample warning His Majestys government gave before the final step. I invite French Prime minister Daladier to approach the stand." finished Chamberlain. All present applauded, although German delegation was less than enthusiastic about it. They resented harsh words spoken at the end of Chamberlain address.

Daladier approached the stand "Thank you Sir Neville. Ladies and gentlemen I can only echo the words of my friend and ally with little to add. I will only insist that in the view of Government of Republic Of France which I represent, the demilitarization of border areas is the condition sine-qua-non. We will not negotiate it away and we will not allow it to be impotent. We will request efficient control by international forces and representatives of all three interested countries namely Belgium, Germany and France. I now invite mr. Goering to address this convention and state Germanys position."

"Ladies and gentlemen, I would like first to express gratitude to our hosts for organizing this meeting on such short notice. Second, Government of Germany, despite protestations of Allied power does not and will not take sole blame for the conflict we are in. We are all aware that borders on the east were not satisfactorily established after the previous war. Instead of facilitating just and diplomatic solution, they propped up Poland by their Guarantee, thus inhibiting any efforts to peacefully adjust the borders between two neighbours. Germany requsted only the lands rightfuly belonging to us. Nothing more. Yet, Poland declined all German offers, no doubt encouraged by unlimited diplomatic support it received from Governments of Britain and France. Germany was left with only one option. Even then, we requested only the right to have contiguous territory and to protect our citizens from escalating Polish terror. But I am willing to leave all this behind us. I have already given orders to prepare evacuation of General Governance. I also ordered the naval forces of Germany to stop all activity and return to port. As this order was sent uncoded, you must be aware of it. As for the retreat from common border, I will point out that it is not German troops that invaded French territory, but the opposite. We will agree to retreat only when French troops currently occupying German territory retreat to within French borders. German government wants peace, make no mistake about that. But we will not be humiliated again. Ever again. We are willing to make any concesions that are honorable and just, but Britain and France will never again dictate peace to Germany. However, despite everything, in order to end suffering of all nations, I accept the conditions of the truce as laid out by sir Chamberlain. Germany will endeavour to the utmost for the success of this convention. I thank you for your attention. I hope that we will meet here again in three days."

Last edited:
First of all, "Funk" as Minister für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda, this is really great. It is almost as good as someone named "Mr Radio" doing that (Rundfunk being the name for radio broadcasting, Funken of simply radioing). Not your fault, Funk is a valid historical figure and this is mere coincidence - or an in-joke? Just for me? :D I hope there is some funky things to be expected from him.

Enough fun.

1. How do you estimate plausibility of the thread so far.
2. Is it fun and interesting?
3. Is it detailed enough?
4. Are characters realistic?
5. Is it dynamic enough?
6. Are updates frequent enough?
7. Anything else you might want to point out.

1., everything is alright so far, though I have the feeling you write the timeline to go into a certain direction, which is OK, but don't become overconfident in the smoothness of your historical solution.
2.,3. Yes
4. Generally yes. I mentioned very few objections earlier, but these were really minor nitpicks.
5. Almost too dynamic, but those were the times. "It was as if living in a movie", I remember a contemporary having said.
6. Certainly! Almost too many to follow when you have other things in life.
7. I have a feeling the peace-negotiations are coming in too smooth. I do not rule them out, it makes sense, but I would imagine the start of them being a lot more tentative, secretive and awkward.

Keep up! A great timeline.

Another remark: ITTL, Chamberlain might well be hailed as an excellent diplomat until the present day. What a change!

Last edited:

abc123

Banned
November 17th, 1147, The Hague Permanent Court of International Arbitration

Shaby, a few remarks:

a) IMO the level of representatives on this Conference, especially on beginning is too high. Prime Ministers and Chancellor? IMO, the highest possible level ( at a this moment ) is Foreign Ministers or even lower like Undersecretaries... Prime Ministers will arrive to sign the Agreement, if it is reached, they will not want to be compromised if Conference fails.

b) I don't believe that Goering is able to accept unilateral German retreat from German territory. Not without simultanious French retreat. Also demilitarised zone only for Germany? Too many Versailles conotations, Goering can't accept that, or he will be seen as a traitor....

Last edited:
Shaby, a few remarks:

a) IMO the level of representatives on this Conference, especially on beginning is too high. Prime Ministers and Chancellor? IMO, the highest possible level ( at a this moment ) is Foreign Ministers or even lower like Undersecretaries... Prime Ministers will arrive to sign the Agreement, if it is reached, they will not want to be compromised if Conference fails.

Well, this is opening of the conference. As it happens, both Goering and Daladier are acting Foreign ministers. I just felt that the significance of event would prompt the leaders to offer opening remarks. My intention is to continue this conference at lower level.

b) I don't believe that Goering is able to accept unilateral German retreat from German territory. Not without simultanious French retreat. Also demilitarised zone only for Germany? Too many Versailles conotations, Goering can't accept that, or he will be seen as a traitor....

Well, Goering did not accept the demilitarized zone. He just accepted the retreat from the French border and only pending French withdrawal too.

Eurofed

Banned
Well, Goering did not accept the demilitarized zone. He just accepted the retreat from the French border and only pending French withdrawal too.

IMO it is plausible for Goering and Daladier to accept a simultaneous withdrawal of German and French armies from the border. Likewise, a permanent demilitarised zone on both sides of the border is feasible for them to agree upon. I'm not sure how such a zone would interact with the existence of the Maginot and Sigfried lines, however. Perhaps a limited amount of military personnel to keep the fortifications in working order is allowed.

November 17th, "Chicago Tribune", "Berlin after Adolf Hitler", by William Lawrence Shirer

As I walk the Unter den Linden, the great avenue of Berlin leading to Brandenburg Gate, I can feel the atmosphere being changed from only a week ago. The Fuehrer (Leader in German - Ed.) of Greater German Reich has been killed. The man who controlled entire political life of German nation has suddenly ceased to exist. So far, I couldn't notice any indication there has been any upheaval. Daily life continued as before. One can attribute this only to discipline and respect for authority ordinary German citizen has ingrained. Still, one only has to dig a little deeper beneath this superficial peace to reach the anxiety people from the street feel. I have been able to talk to a number of German citizens in the course of previous days. Although most of them wouldn't reveal much of their true thoughts and emotions, I could gather that most are worried whether Hitlers death will result in general upheaval and disorder, two things most Germans are terrified of.

Power transition so far appears smooth and Hermann Goering, previously the commander of Luftwaffe (German Air Force - Ed.) has been appointed successor. Mr. Goering appears disposed to make peace and has even publicly called United Kingdom and France to peace negotiation. His initiative has been met with approval of most of German public. Although rumors of discord from hard line NSDAP members persist, nothing points to conclusion that mr. Goering is not able to keep the party under control. In any case, political structure and ideology allows few posibilities for opposition to voice their disagreement with policy of the leader.

It appears that the Wehrmacht, or armed forces of Germany, are fully supportive of mr. Goering, and judging by presence of SS Leibstandarte personell around him at all times (this special unit is somewhat similar to Secret Service), he enjoys the support of German security apparatus. The strongest pillar of support to mr. Goering are representatives of big business in Germany, whith whom mr. Goering cultivates strong connections. In previous years, mr. Goering was reputed to have secured largest donations from greatest corporations in Germany. Besides, as head and virtual economic dictator of Germany mr. Goering has been able to solidify his relationship with captains of German economy.

Most certainly, on the political scene of German no person able to stand to mr. Goering is curently visible. If his peace offensive succeeds, there is no reason to doubt that mr. Goerings role in Germany would be any different than the mr. Mussolinis in Italy. He certainly appears to be the man with whom it is possible to do business.

November 18th, Helsinki, Presidential palace

Kyoesti Kallio sat at the front of the table, around him some of the most important figures of Finnish politics have already taken place. They gathered to consider for one last time the outrageous demands which Government of Soviet Union presented to them. Finland has been deeply divided on this topic. Since the demands were presented on October 31st, *the government of Finland has been in virtually permanent session. Despite numerous counter-proposals, Soviet position has hardly moved. And a day ago reports started coming that Soviet forces were massing in and around Leningrad, Kem and Murmansk.

Kallio was against any concessions, and in this he was supported by Foreign minister Erkoe, Defence minister Niukkanen and Minister of Interior Kekkonen and Finance Minister Tanner. In favor of accepting the terms were Prime minister Aimo Cajander, Chief of Staff Mannerheim and Pasikivi, finish Ambassador to Moscow.

Kallio opened the discussion "Gentlemen, it appears we are on the threshold. From here we can go only in two directions - subserviency to the Soviet Union like Latvians and Estonians or we can choose to resist and hold our heads high. You know my oppinion on this. The demands of Stalin and Molotov are incompatible with independence and freedom of Finland."

"Mr. President, that may be so." spoke Mannerheim next. "Once more I must warn you of dire state of our military preparations. Our army has hardly any enough rifles to arm every soldier. Upon mobilization we demanded that every conscript brings some sort of "uniform" with him. Our army has no mechanization to speak of. Most of our aviation can barely dust forests, let alone defend our airspace. On the other side we are faced with force of over half million soldiers, thousands of artillery pieces and numerous tanks. The Soviet army has preponderance of at least five to one in men and materiel on the battlefield. I doubt we would be able to withstand massed assault of Soviets."

"Gentlemen, I must warn you" Paasikivi spoke next "that Soviet Union appears determined to attack us should we not concede their demands. I was warned and I quote word for word "of serious consequences that shall ensue if Finnish government does not proceed in spirit of friendship and accepts the demands of Soviet Union" in my last conversation with mr. Molotov. That can mean only one thing gentlenen. They are ready for war."

Minister of foreign affairs Erkoe spoke next "My oppinion is that Soviet Union is bluffing. They are blustering us into submission demonstrating force on our borders. They wouldn't dare attack us deliberately. We have friends who will come to our help in case of unprovoked agression."

"Just like Poland had friends mr. Erkoe?" asked Paasikivi.

Prime minister Aimo Cajander asked "Mr. Erkoe, have you managed to secure any help or guarantees from the foreign powers friendly to our country?"

"Well, nothing definite, I admit. British and French answered that they will consider steps should such contingency arise, but majority of their forces and resources is tied up already. Germany is on friendly terms with Soviet Union and have told us that no help will be forthcoming to us from Germany. They are even unable to provide material for sale, claiming entire production is needed for their Army. United States has sent us a letter of support and we wete notified that they recently sent demarche to Soviet government, condemning the agressive policy towards neighbouring countries."

"So, in short there is nothing we can expect from the outside. Except from Ivan. And he is not offering help." concluded Paasikivi.

"Well, that is gross oversimplification mr. Paasikivi. Surely, if Soviet Union attacks us international community will not stand to this." insisted Erkoe.

"By the time 'international community' do something, my soldiers will lay trampled beneath the tracks of Soviet tanks. Gentlemen do you understand that our troops do not have enough ammunition?!?" pointed out Mannerheim. "If you will insist on this suicidal course, I will offer my resignation. You will then have to find somebody else to lead our troops to certain death."

The latest exchange caused ministers of Defence and Interior to frown with fear. Especially Mannerheims expose on the state of armed forces and his vivid conjuction of scenes of trampled soldiers started to sway two ministers away from confrontation and towards acceptance of Soviet demands. Prime minister was an idealist who believed that war was much to terrible thing and that Soviet Union was not serious in its threats. However ominous tone of Molotovs last exchange with ambassador Paasikivi made him wonder. At that moment, President said "Having heard all this I call you to vote. Bear in mind seriousness of vote you are about to cast and of possible dire consequnces either way. In favor of decision to accept Soviet demands 4, against 3. Gentlemen I believe this is a gross mistake. We will be left defenseless and then conquered at Stalins whim. But I have no other choice but to proceed by the will of majority. Mr. Paasikivi you will notify mr. Molotov of our decision if it is not already too late. You will request that non-agression pact be guaranteed by third party of our choice. Mr. Erkoe, you will contact Swedish Government and Government of United States of America and request that they guarantee the agreement we make with Soviet Union! Good luck to us all, and may God help us gentlemen."

Last edited:

abc123

Banned
November 18th, Helsinki, Presidential palace

Kyoesti Kallio sat at the front of the table, around him some of the most important figures of Finnish politics have already taken place. They gathered to consider for one last time the outrageous demands which Government of Soviet Union presented to them. Finland has been deeply divided on this topic. Since the demands were presented on October 31st, *the government of Finland has been in virtually permanent session. Despite numerous counter-proposals, Soviet position has hardly moved. And a day ago reports started coming that Soviet forces were massing in and around Leningrad, Kem and Murmansk.

Kallio was against any concessions, and in this he was supported by Foreign minister Erkoe, Defence minister Niukkanen and Minister of Interior Kekkonen and Finance Minister Tanner. In favor of accepting the terms were Prime minister Aimo Cajander, Chief of Staff Mannerheim and Pasikivi, finish Ambassador to Moscow.

Kallio opened the discussion "Gentlemen, it appears we are on the threshold. From here we can go only in two directions - subserviency to the Soviet Union like Latvians and Estonians or we can choose to resist and hold our heads high. You know my oppinion on this. The demands of Stalin and Molotov are incompatible with independence and freedom of Finland."

"Mr. President, that may be so." spoke Mannerheim next. "Once more I must warn you of dire state of our military preparations. Our army has hardly any enough rifles to arm every soldier. Upon mobilization we demanded that every conscript brings some sort of "uniform" with him. Our army has no mechanization to speak of. Most of our aviation can barely dust forests, let alone defend our airspace. On the other side we are faced with force of over half million soldiers, thousands of artillery pieces and numerous tanks. The Soviet army has preponderance of at least five to one in men and materiel on the battlefield. I doubt we would be able to withstand massed assault of Soviets."

"Gentlemen, I must warn you" Paasikivi spoke next "that Soviet Union appears determined to attack us should we not concede their demands. I was warned and I quote word for word "of serious consequences that shall ensue if Finnish government does not proceed in spirit of friendship and accepts the demands of Soviet Union" in my last conversation with mr. Molotov. That can mean only one thing gentlenen. They are ready for war."

Minister of foreign affairs Erkoe spoke next "My oppinion is that Soviet Union is bluffing. They are blustering us into submission demonstrating force on our borders. They wouldn't dare attack us deliberately. We have friends who will come to our help in case of unprovoked agression."

"Just like Poland had friends mr. Erkoe?" asked Paasikivi.

Prime minister Aimo Cajander asked "Mr. Erkoe, have you managed to secure any help or guarantees from the foreign powers friendly to our country?"

"Well, nothing definite, I admit. British and French answered that they will consider steps should such contingency arise, but majority of their forces and resources is tied up already. Germany is on friendly terms with Soviet Union and have told us that no help will be forthcoming to us from Germany. They are even unable to provide material for sale, claiming entire production is needed for their Army. United States has sent us a letter of support and we wete notified that they recently sent demarche to Soviet government, condemning the agressive policy towards neighbouring countries."

"So, in short there is nothing we can expect from the outside. Except from Ivan. And he is not offering help." concluded Paasikivi.

"Well, that is gross oversimplification mr. Paasikivi. Surely, if Soviet Union attacks us international community will not stand to this." insisted Erkoe.

"By the time 'international community' do something, my soldiers will lay trampled beneath the tracks of Soviet tanks. Gentlemen do you understand that our troops do not have enough ammunition?!?" pointed out Mannerheim. "If you will insist on this suicidal course, I will offer my resignation. You will then have to find somebody else to lead our troops to certain death."

The latest exchange caused ministers of Defence and Interior to frown with fear. Especially Mannerheims expose on the state of armed forces and his vivid conjuction of scenes of trampled soldiers started to sway two ministers away from confrontation and towards acceptance of Soviet demands. Prime minister was an idealist who believed that war was much to terrible thing and that Soviet Union was not serious in its threats. However ominous tone of Molotovs last exchange with ambassador Paasikivi made him wonder. At that moment, President said "Having heard all this I call you to vote. Bear in mind seriousness of vote you are about to cast and of possible dire consequnces either way. In favor of decision to accept Soviet demands 4, against 3. Gentlemen I believe this is a gross mistake. We will be left defenseless and then conquered at Stalins whim. But I have no other choice but to proceed by the will of majority. Mr. Paasikivi you will notify mr. Molotov of our decision if it is not already too late. You will request that non-agression pact be guaranteed by third party of our choice. Mr. Erkoe, you will contact Swedish Government and Government of United States of America and request that they guarantee the agreement we make with Soviet Union! Good luck to us all, and may God help us gentlemen."

And what exactly is POD here?

Nothing specific. The vote on war was already very close OTL. The fact that Hitler is no longer alive, a bit more ascertive Mannerheim and Paasikivi cause defence minister and interior minister to reconsider. The vote could have gone either way and ITTL it does.