Expendable 1970's

There was a movie in the '60s called "The Professionals" with Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Woody Strode and Robert Ryan as the good guys, Claudia Cardinale as the squeeze, and Jack Palance as the head of the Mexican Bandidoes. Palance was supposed to be the baddy but it turned out it was the guy who hired the good guys. It seemed to me that back in that era, there were already enough ensemble cast expendables-type pictures.

If you want a Western feel, but also have a war film angle - set it during the Mexican Revolution (1910-1920). Set it around 1914 when Victoriano Huerta was in power, and you'd have everything you would want - involvement with Germans, Pancho Villa, Zapatistas, US bankers, oil concessions, you name it.

It'd probably be similar in tone to the Wild Bunch (1969). You could probably even get William Holden to also be in it.

There was a movie in the '60s called "The Professionals" with Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Woody Strode and Robert Ryan as the good guys, Claudia Cardinale as the squeeze, and Jack Palance as the head of the Mexican Bandidoes. Palance was supposed to be the baddy but it turned out it was the guy who hired the good guys. It seemed to me that back in that era, there were already enough ensemble cast expendables-type pictures.
One more wouldn't hurt and this the 70s not the 60s. It's also material for Unclepatrick's ''Step by Step'' TL.

Last edited:
Just notice the bit about Shatner I'd put him in it but I'd like to see him play a villain. And I'd pit him against Eastwood and have Shatner win!

Neat idea! Only problem - no one will ever believe that Shatner would be faster on the draw than Eastwood.

This would be a very interesting moment in Shatner's acting career. He might be remembered as more of a well-rounded actor, though Kirk will always be his biggest role - much like Sean Connery or Harrison Ford.

And while we're at it... Sean Connery!!!

Neat idea! Only problem - no one will ever believe that Shatner would be faster on the draw than Eastwood.

This would be a very interesting moment in Shatner's acting career. He might be remembered as more of a well-rounded actor, though Kirk will always be his biggest role - much like Sean Connery or Harrison Ford.

I was originally thinking this would give Shatner a little more respect in Hollywood. Someone else mentioned Connery and someone also mentioned Roger Moore. be interesting to have both especially if it were before Moore did Bond.

Interesting thought.
Wild Bunch and The Magnificent Seven were effectively The Expendables of their time. Assemblies of action actors famous in the genre of the time.

Tim
I like Blackfox5's idea it has all the right elements war and western. I would add Anthony Quinn as a revolutionary or a bandito and have Eli Wallach as his right hand man

The Expendables Pt.1

So going over all the cool ideas and suggestions posted on this thread I put this together as an idea for a film.

The Expendables

In 1916 A branch of the German army intelligence dept. decide it is important to keep the US preoccupied within its own territory and thus avoid their entering the European conflict. To achieve this they send two German officers, one (Hardy Kruger) who has suffered irreparable damage to his lungs due to a gas attack and one (Eric Braedon) who disgraced himself by having the ill fortune of leading a badly planned attack on enemy trenches and was the sole survivor. The two men are sent to Mexico to organize and lead a special operation; they are not expected to return.

Their plan is simple to form a band of ruthless mercenaries and outlaws to launch raids into US.territory in the guise of Mexican revolutionaries. The British uncover the plot and send two officers (Sean Connery & Roger Moore) to warn the US. The Germans have a good head start though and arrive in Mexico and start to recruit their band of desperados but first they report to a high ranking German officer (Christopher Lee) the officer does not approve of the plan but gives them a list of prospects, he also dubs the irregular force Sturmkalvrienberg- assault Calvary. The Sturmkalvrienberg will consist of the following men, first the mercenaries =
· Lee Marvin
· Gene Hackman
· Richard Harris – Ex IRA
· James Coburn
· Toshiro Mifune – Modern day Ronin
· Bill Hickman
· William Shatner
The Outlaws
· Eli Wallach
· Jack Palance
· David Carradine
· Gregory Sierra
· Telly Savalas

Forgot to put George Kennedy,Ernest Borgnine and Lee Van Cleef on list of Outlaws.

Last edited:
If anyone would like to do their own version with a different cast and story, maybe a straight up western or war film or any other genre. please do I'd love to read it. Pt. 2 coming soon.

Ok intermission over. The two British officers (Connery & Moore) arrive in the US. They report the plot to a US. General (Richard Widmark) the general thanks the Brits and tells them the US will deal with the situation in a righteous and determined manner but it will be done for the preservation of peace. He continues to tell the British officers that America is not interested in going to war in Europe or in Mexico. A few days later the general informs the British officers that there have been raids in Texas near the border but that he has plans to deal with it. The general true to his word has put together a plan for dealing with the marauders, he introduces the Brits to two men (John Wayne & Henry Fonda) both are retired US army officers and former members of the Rough Riders. These two men will put together a Posse of bounty hunters, former lawmen and a group of US Army prisoners awaiting trial for court martial offenses.

The Lawmen

· Robert Mitchum
· Robert Duvall
· Sidney Poitier
· Lee Majors
· Yul Brynner

The bounty Hunters

· Steve McQueen
· Clint Eastwood
· Charles Bronson
· James Caan
· Burt Reynolds
· Bruce Lee – hunting down Toshiro Mifune’s character

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

The Expendables Pt.2 cntd.

The Parolees

· Tom Laughlin
· Richard Roundtree
· Jim Kelly
· Fred Williamson
· Sylvester Stalone

I know I've gotten carried away with the size of the cast in this thing but I'm gonna continue with this even if no ones reading. It's fun and maybe I'll turn it into a real TL some day.

Theyd believe it if he cheated:) cf kobayashi maru

As for the other, connery and ford are both GOOD actors.