European Hokkaido/Sakhalin? (Not Including Russia as European)

Could it be possible that if a POD ranging anywhere from something in Russia preventing any large expansions eastward to something in Japan that leaves a more pro-western shogunate in charge to just some ship that got stranded somewhere mean that a European power could assert influence into the Siberian Islands like Sakhalin or the Kuril Islands as well as maybe Hokkaido?

Even if it's unreasonable, then which European Nations would be the most likely to try and stake a Claim? (Russia excluded, they already did)

Why would any of them be interested in it? As far as I know the islands don't provide much raw-materials-wise that can't be accessed more easily elsewhere and they are in a pretty distant location (I think India is like 1/2 the distance from England as Sakhalin is).

- BNC

Could it be possible that if a POD ranging anywhere from something in Russia preventing any large expansions eastward to something in Japan that leaves a more pro-western shogunate in charge to just some ship that got stranded somewhere mean that a European power could assert influence into the Siberian Islands like Sakhalin or the Kuril Islands as well as maybe Hokkaido?

Even if it's unreasonable, then which European Nations would be the most likely to try and stake a Claim? (Russia excluded, they already did)
There was a German Empire TL that had Hokkaido being German.

There was a German Empire TL that had Hokkaido being German.

Got a link?

Why would any of them be interested in it?

Eh, there was some god found there. Also could be used to have major trade with the far east reliably as well as having somewhere to dump a couple settlers.

they are in a pretty distant location

Eh, for an empire Like England it might not be very worth it but look at Germany's possessions in the Pacific, I'd say they were just about as far as Hokkaido or Sakhalin.

Also the Dutch were quite willing to go that far to establish colonies too, with a POD that maybe makes it where they don't have exclusive trade with Japan then maybe a colony on one of the small Kuril Islands could be possible.

I'm not sure whether this would count but I always thought it interesting that the despite the many wars and disputes over the legal borders re Scandanvian nations, Finland and Russia, until this past century the area known as 'Lapland' was more or less left to its own devices with the indigenous population snubbed by the 'majority' in the distant capital cities but otherwise having relatively few problems in maintaining their timeless culture. I understand the area was simply too remote, cold and inhospitable for the 'majorities' of these nations to have much interest in occupying but consider how so many other indigenous groups in Europe were forcibly overrun in previous centuries and one must admire the Lapps for having been able to resist so long even if now they are somewhat struggling.

Hokkaido isn't as worthless as one might think. Hokkaido contains 1/4th of Japan's arable land, has relatively large reserves of Iron and Coal, modest reserves of Gold and Copper and minor quantities of Oil, in addition to rich fishing grounds. It is also inhabited by the Ainu, who wouldn't be that hard to subdue. It also has the added benefit that the Japanese also did not control it until the mid 19th century. The problem is why would a European nation want to settle Hokkaido in the first place and how it would protect it from Japan? Trade with the Japanese might encourage controlling the Island, but the main candidates in that case would be the Spanish, Dutch or the Portuguese would be easy prey to any Imperialist Japanese State. Thats assuming Trade was important enough for the establishment of trade settlements on Hokkaido in the first place; to do that I say you'd have to have a POD stop the isolation of the Edo period or have a much more Christian Japan so that trade relations would be more cordial and thus profitable. Even then, its very likely they would not bother. Maybe the Germans or even Italy could pick it up in their scramble for colonies but not very likely. As for Sakhalin I don't see how any nation would want it other than the Russians, and having it would likely mean constant conflict with the Russians. Sakhalin just isn't worth the effort.

Alternatively have a Dutch, Portuguese or Spanish explorer chart the island and run into some gold which could spark a lust for gold, even though there is only a modest amount on the island. Problem is, the most likely way of finding this gold is by running into some natives with golden jewelry and I am unsure if the Ainu had jewelry like that.

Last edited:
Eh, there was some god found there. Also could be used to have major trade with the far east reliably as well as having somewhere to dump a couple settlers.

Gold can be found in colonies much closer to Europe, such as America or Africa, depending on what time we are talking about. Trade would be pretty ridiculous from a place like that, which is an effective corner of the world. If they were setting up for trade in the Pacific, the Europeans would be much quicker to take islands in the Pacific (New Guinea, Taiwan, Java etc) than something so far away.

the 'couple of settlers' would probably just go to another Brit/French/German/whatever colony instead.

- BNC

As for Sakhalin I don't see how any nation would want it other than the Russians, and having it would likely mean constant conflict with the Russians. Sakhalin just isn't worth the effort.

I'm pretty sure it isn't that bad for agriculture, has coal (not to mention other fossil fuels!), and likewise has a good location on the Sea of Okhotsk with all the rich fishing grounds and proximity to the Far East. The Japanese were also historically much less interested in it compared to Hokkaido although they always had claimed it. China also had always claimed the island too.

I still don't know why Europe would waste the time settling Hokkaido, but if they would, they'd definitely want to settle Sakhalin as well, or maybe focus only on Sakhalin instead.

I'm pretty sure it isn't that bad for agriculture, has coal (not to mention other fossil fuels!), and likewise has a good location on the Sea of Okhotsk with all the rich fishing grounds and proximity to the Far East. The Japanese were also historically much less interested in it compared to Hokkaido although they always had claimed it. China also had always claimed the island too.

I still don't know why Europe would waste the time settling Hokkaido, but if they would, they'd definitely want to settle Sakhalin as well, or maybe focus only on Sakhalin instead.

But arable land and fishing grounds alone are not good incentives for colonization and Coal usually isn't exported from where its mined and if it is its usually sold to its neighbors(shipping coal is expensive; its less expensive for a colonizer to purchase coal from its neighbor than to ship coal from the Pacific. Generally, anyway).

I just don't see the huge utility for Sakhalin for any nation other than the Russians. If either is settled however, I think Japanese trade will be the main and initial motivator. Perhaps make it so that Silver isn't found in the Andes, either by the fact that the Spanish don't find or the Inca Survive. Then, Japanese Silver will be much more important, and thus controlling Hokkaido's Tsugaru straight would be a good start in controlling trade in the region. Its a long shot, but not impossible. Atleast I think its not.