Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Some combination of the above

Votes: 75 39.5%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baltic

Votes: 11 5.8%

• Total voters
How would this affect medieval German settlement in the East? It could be easier to assimilate Balts rather than Slavs, especially if they remain divided tribes rather than unifying into states. Then again, if they became Catholic much of the impetus for settlement would be removed. It's probably futile to even ask this question because I can't even begin to think about what history would look like without the Slavs.

Assuming development into anything resembling modern history a Germany from the Rhine to the Weißel (Vistula) and beyond would be even more of a powerhouse than Germany was IOTL.

krieger

Banned
How would this affect medieval German settlement in the East? It could be easier to assimilate Balts rather than Slavs, especially if they remain divided tribes rather than unifying into states. Then again, if they became Catholic much of the impetus for settlement would be removed. It's probably futile to even ask this question because I can't even begin to think about what history would look like without the Slavs.

Assuming development into anything resembling modern history a Germany from the Rhine to the Weißel (Vistula) and beyond would be even more of a powerhouse than Germany was IOTL.

Short answer for you - L-I-T-H-U-A-N-I-A, whose history shows that Balts were perfectly capable of forming and creating states on their own. Even if the western Balts ITTL met the fate of Old Prussians OTL, I think that Lithuania would form an equivalent of OTL Russia and Weichsel would be a border between Germany and Lithuania.

Short answer for you - L-I-T-H-U-A-N-I-A, whose history shows that Balts were perfectly capable of forming and creating states on their own. Even if the western Balts ITTL met the fate of Old Prussians OTL, I think that Lithuania would form an equivalent of OTL Russia and Weichsel would be a border between Germany and Lithuania.

DxREkyfWkAASDaE.jpg

What if we just say that Atilla never pushes the Germans west so the Slavs have nowhere to go or are assimilated and become Germanic? The Balkans will be split between Romance on the North up to Pannonia and Greek in the South. Perhaps Albanian or some dialect of Dacian remains untouched. Assuming Germans move less we will have a Germanic Bohemia, Poland, Western Ukraine, and Possibly even up to the Pontic steppe. Turks will most likely move in anyways because they can.

ok so eurosteppe? turks again, poland? goths, or maybe balts. still feel like the slavs would assimilate many Finno-Ugric peoples as slavs used the land more intensely, but maybe the finno-urgics hold out, or maybe the balts expand that way? czech-moravia-slovak i could see being either latin or germanic, romania stays the same, hungary may be some other steppe derived people. southslavia? latin/gothic

Also the entire question is mind wrecking. I am trying to put into use everything I learned at the Uni and the butterfly effect is just so colossal I am not sure from where to begin with.

Even finding the PoD is mindbogling.
Perhaps a plague wipes out the Slavic populations sometime during the beginning of the Middle Ages?

In Poland and East Germany probably Balts, because they were the 2nd closest group that could likely occupy the area vacated by East Germanic tribes.

By the way - a similar discussion can also be created about Western Europe, but with a "no Rome" scenario, instead of "no Slavs".

For example, without Rome it is doubtful whether Germanic tribes would have ever managed to conquer so much of Celtic territories.

Celts were so weak mainly because they had been devastated by Rome (and those conquered by Rome, e.g. Britons, forgot how to fight).

Check this ethnographic map of Western Europe before the Roman expansion as a basis for possible alternate history discussion:

https://i.redd.it/y3akpsjso6gz.jpg

GsGGUy2.jpg