"Epilogue" - An Arturius Aurelianus Vignette

EPILOGUE

320px-London_Film_Museum_%285094934492%29.jpg

=

“Arthur.”

“Myrddin?”

“Arthur.”

“Myrddin! I am the strongest! I am the one!”

The rider raised his helmet, revealing his face to the man in the cloak. Around them there was nothing save effusions of blood and fire, and the passing of an age, terrible in its death-throes, although neither man knew it yet.

“The sword! You promised me the sword!”

“And you shall have it! But to heal, not to hack! Tomorrow, a truce! We meet at the river.”

“Talk! Talk is for lovers, Myrddin! I need the sword to rule!”

And the horseman sped away, disappearing into the ambuscade. And there was nothing save blood and fire for the remainder of the night.

=

The next day, by the river.

Two armies stood along the stream, each facing the other defiantly. The rider sat upon his steed, his hand resting gently upon a pommel.

The wise man said, “Show them the sword!”

And he drew it, and held it with its point towards Heaven above. And upon the sword were written the words ENSIS·ARTVRII·AVRELIANI·EX·CHALYBEIVS, and both parties stood amazed at the sight.

“Behold, the sword of Arthur! Forged from the sword drawn from the stones!” said Myrddin.

And the crowd murmured amongst themselves, as they remained in awe.

The rider spoke. “One land, one king! That is my peace!”

The leader of the opposing cohort replied, “If I yield to the authority so spoken by your sword, what shall you yield?”

“Me, yield?!” Arthur shouted in response.

Myrddin whispered to him, in a harsh tone. “He has given! Now you must!”

Nodding, Arthur spoke. “The land from here to the Wall shall be yours again, if you enforce the king’s will!”

After a pause, Mynyddog Mwynfawr nodded, saying, “Done!”

And there was a great cheer in the multitude, as many hands left their sword-belts, and their grips upon their bows and the shafts of their spears slackened. And thereafter both parties feasted together in Din Eidyn, the castle which lay in the shadow of Mons Agned.

=

Many months thereafter, on the banks of the river Camleon.

A multitude of corpses lay upon the marshy soil, embedded forever into the silts, dampened by water mixed with blood. Some of the men groaned in agony, but were already dead, for the end had come for all of them, regardless of whether they were men of the Miathi, the Goddodin, or the Scots of Dal Riata. They were all dead, or soon to be.

Of the Goddodin, all three hundred of them had been slain to man, no matter how noble or how craven; Cynon, whose horses they rode, and Heinif, savage and sudden on his horse’s back, and even Gwawrddur, the bulwark of the front line, who had glutted many blackbirds on the walls of Catraeth with the gore of men and beasts. But even then he was no Arthur.

Arthur himself lay gasping for breath even as the life was drawn from him with every sigh, for he had been dealt a mortal wound, but had slain his killer with a final exertion. Beside him was his steward, who among the scarce seven who had survived was the only one who had done so not merely by fortune, but by the strength of arms.

With gravely laborious breath Arthur spoke. “Take my sword. Bring it to the Isle of Glass, in the summer country, and cast it into the sea there if the abbey atop the tor no longer stands, for if even that has fallen, the sword shall never be safe upon this island.”

“No!”

Even as he lay dying, he gathered the strength to rebuke his steward. “Obey me, Derfel!”

“But the sword cannot be lost! Surely, other men-”

Again he rebuked me, saying, “Do as I command! One day, a king will come. And the sword will rise…again.”

And so I, Derfel the son of Hywel, took up the sword forged from the sword of steel, drawn from the stones by Arthur the son of Uther, and rode to the Summer Country, and cast it into the waters there. And so perished Arthur the son of Aedan, and great-grandson of Arthur, last of the Britons, and no man has seen him since.

=

HISTORIA ARTURII AURELANI

THE HISTORY OF ARTURIUS AURELIANUS

eHuR9Rf.png

COMING THIS DECEMBER

Bumpus maximus.

If this series of events seems a bit confusing, here's some context.

Arthur here is not the legendary King Arthur also known as Arturius, dux bellorum, but is Artúr mac Aedan, the first recorded instance of the name. Although Aedan was a king of Dal Riata, Arthur itself has Brittonic roots, so his mother may have been a Sub-Roman Briton, so why not a descendant of the "real" Arthur? Here he's capitalising on the fame of Arturius Aurelianus, whom the TL will actually be about.

Myrddin Wyllt is associated with the Battle of Arfderydd, which is alleged to have occurred in 573 - far too late for Arthur to have been active if he was indeed the victor of Badon Hill in ~500. Merlin comes in many forms, so this might be Merlinus Caledonensis, given the locale of these events.

The Goddodin are the subject of the first poem to mention Arthur, who is mentioned as an ideal to which Gwawrddur, the "bastion of the front line" did not compare. Their slaughter is alleged to have occurred at the fortress of Catraeth, but I decided to have it occur at Camleon for Arthurian reasons.

Saint Derfel is alleged to have been a companion of Arthur and survivor of Camlann but he was born in 560 - once again, too late.

Hence my smooshing together of the Goddodin and Derfel with the death of Artúr mac Aedan, which occured before the death of St. Columba in ~596. Clearly the Scots and the Goddodin/Votadini allied together against the Miathi/Meteae and rallied behind Artúr in the hopes that his name alone would deliver them victory. but they all died in this version of events.

And, of course, the narrative is based directly upon John Boorman's Excalibur, a retelling of Le Morte d'Arthur:

Last edited:
Well, this looks super interesting!

Thank you! :biggrin:

You have peaked my interest.
Thank you! Hope to see you around in December when I actually post the TL. :p

Seconded. This may be "heresy" but I'd like to know more about this second Arthur and his rule. I presume that his Kingdom is north of the wall?

Oh no, no heresy at all. It's just that Artúr mac Aedan won't be the focus of the second reboot of my King Arthur TL (first draft, second draft) as he lived half a century too late for all of the fun stuff.

I don't want to spoil that too much as there's a lot of new details I've put in which you won't find in those earlier drafts, but the context of the clash and the treaty on the banks of the river are those of clashes which must have happened between the nascent Irish kingdom of Dal Riata and the Votadini/Gododdin as the Scots came over from Ireland to settle the northwestern bit of the isle. Artúr wasn't negotiating as king (he never became king as he predeceased Aedan) but is assumed to be negotiating on behalf of his father so that the Scots and the Gododdin can unite and beat up the Miathi/Meteae, and will "rule" as a plenipotentiary more than anything else.

But, well, that didn't quite go as planned...o_O

Friendly reminder:

600px-Defeat_of_the_Saxons_by_Arthur.jpg

"From that time, the citizens were sometimes victorious, sometimes the enemy, in order that the Lord, according to His wont, might try in this nation the Israel of today, whether it loves Him or not. This continued up to the year of the siege of Badon Hill, and of almost the last great slaughter inflicted upon the rascally crew."
Gildas, De Excidio et Conquestu Britanniae

"The twelfth battle was on Mount Badon in which there fell in one day 960 men from one charge by Arthur; and no one struck them down except Arthur himself."
Historia Brittonium

"The Battle of Badon, in which Arthur carried the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ for three days and three nights upon his shoulders and the Britons were the victors."
Annales Cambriae

COMING SOON

Derfel Cadarn from Bernard Cornwell's Winter King Trilogy.

Good to know Derfel got a bigger part in the story.

Thanks! Yeah, I read through those between writing version 2 and that, so that's why Derfel does essentially the same thing at the end of this story. :p

Interesting. I would suggest perhaps using a more Old/Middle Welsh spelling rather than Modern Welsh ;)

On which words? It's not like it'll matter for the TL itself because it'll be "translated" from Latin. ;)

Puzzled I am...

My attention sir, you have it.

Thanks! I think I'll be uploading the thread tomorrow and making the first proper post in it on Thursday. :cool: