Earliest Imperial Preference

In the early 1900s (1903 according to wiki) Joseph Chamberlain decided he prefered protectionism to the long standing British policy of free-trade, it was called Imperial Preference. Tariffs would be setup in such a way that the British Empire would be a protected-trade zone.

The following election seems to have been in 1906.

My question to you is; what if the British public had a burning passion for Empire? And thus Chamberlain was voted in so he could setup his Imperial Preference scheme?

What would the affects be both short and long term? Does Britain and her Empire enter WWI with a stronger economy and greater industrial power? Does she still fall into heavy debt due to that war?

One of the supposed reasons for Imperial Preference was to bind the Empire together. Does it lead to an Imperial Federation? Or a stronger Commonwealth? Or does the Empire fall apart on schedule?

It would be an interesting timeline if this happened certainly,because even if ww1 does happen will Canada,Austalia etc still gain the same sense of national identity they did from otl,I think once you get imperial preference it could turn into a fully blown imperial federation,in which case butterflies would probably prevent decolonisation taking place as it did OTL. This would be a massive step,because it would unite and bring the empire closer together,even if it doesn't sound too significant on paper.(especially pre ww1 and Great Depression-it may well have a shot of succeeding)

Thomas1195

Banned
In the early 1900s (1903 according to wiki) Joseph Chamberlain decided he prefered protectionism to the long standing British policy of free-trade, it was called Imperial Preference. Tariffs would be setup in such a way that the British Empire would be a protected-trade zone.

My question to you is; what if the British public had a burning passion for Empire? And thus Chamberlain was voted in so he could setup his Imperial Preference scheme?

What would the affects be both short and long term? Does Britain and her Empire enter WWI with a stronger economy and greater industrial power? Does she still fall into heavy debt due to that war?

One of the supposed reasons for Imperial Preference was to bind the Empire together. Does it lead to an Imperial Federation? Or a stronger Commonwealth? Or does the Empire fall apart on schedule?
You need a stronger and more protectionist PM than Arthur Balfour, I mean a guy like Bonar Law.

Thomas1195

Banned

Yes, their industries would be significantly more competitive, both new and old ones. Besides, revenue from tariffs could be used to fund dreadnought program. Bigger steel, mechanical and electrical engineering ndustries would butterfly various import categories. However, there should be no tariff on food and raw material.