Dutch Cape Colony economy, politics, society etc.

Did the Dutch also kept Ceylon? Anyway you can indeed expect large amounts of German and Dutch (and Walloon) immigrants. Also a lot of (if they keep it) Caylonese and Javanese will arrive (like the Javanese did IOTL in Suriname). And probably later on some Chinese gold searchers (like OTL happend in California). It will become a real cultural melting pot, with coloreds becoming the biggest population group (like OTL, but even more). Their language will most likely stay Dutch and not evolve into Afrikaans, since they are not cut off from the motherland.

Would there be a lot of that immigration?

Perhaps more Africans from other parts of the sub-continent would be brought to do the crap work that nobody wants to do?

abc123

Banned
I changed a few things in London Convention- the Dutch gave whole Dutch Guyana to the British, and the British agreed to give everything west of Kowie River ( in SA ) to the Dutch.

abc123

Banned
Did the Dutch also kept Ceylon? Anyway you can indeed expect large amounts of German and Dutch (and Walloon) immigrants. Also a lot of (if they keep it) Caylonese and Javanese will arrive (like the Javanese did IOTL in Suriname). And probably later on some Chinese gold searchers (like OTL happend in California). It will become a real cultural melting pot, with coloreds becoming the biggest population group (like OTL, but even more). Their language will most likely stay Dutch and not evolve into Afrikaans, since they are not cut off from the motherland.

Nope. Britain get Ceylon as OTL. Yes, I presume that some number of East Indian and Belgian settlers will come...

Nope. Britain get Ceylon as OTL. Yes, I presume that some number of East Indian and Belgian settlers will come...

Will the East Indians be welcome?

Will the Dutch Cape be as racist as South Africa was in OTL?

There will obviously but much less British influence in this TL than in ours.

Another question, what will become of Cecil John Rhodes? In OTL he initially went to Natal and eventually became PM of the Cape. Will he still end up in Africa?

After long negotiations, a treaty was signed between United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and Republic of Seven United Netherlands- later known as London Convention.
It was signed by Robert Stewart, Viscount Castlereagh, for Britain and Hendrik Fagel for the Dutch.

The treaty returned the colonial possessions of the Dutch as they were at January 1, 1803 before the outbreak of the Napoleonic Wars, in the Americas, Africa, and Asia with the exception of the South American settlements around Guiana ( later consolidated as British Guiana), where the Dutch retained trading rights, while British decided to give back Cape Colony back to the Dutch, but keeping trading rights there. Netherlands also allowed basing rights for Royal Navy in False Bay, south of Kaapstadt, but the territory will remain under Dutch civilian rule. British and the Dutch agreed that the border between them will go trough Kowie river. The Dutch ceded all rights on territory east of Kowie river to the British.

In addition, the British ceded the island of Banca off the island of Sumatra in exchange for the settlement of Cochin in India and its dependencies on the coast of Malabar. The Dutch also ceded the district of Bernagore, situated close to Calcutta. The treaty also noted a declaration of June 15, 1814, by the Dutch that ships for the slave trade were no longer permitted in British ports and it agreed that this restriction would be extended to a ban on involvement in the slave trade by Dutch citizens.

Britain also agreed to pay £1,000,000 to Sweden to resolve a claim to the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe (see Guadeloupe Fund ). The British and the Dutch agreed to spend £2,000,000 each on improving the defences of the Low Countries. More funds, of up to £3,000,000, are mentioned for the "final and satisfactory settlement of the Low Countries in union with Holland." Disputes arising from this treaty were the subject of the Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1824.

So, gaining their old colony back, Dutch Government decided to send colonial administration and soldiers back to the Cape of Good Hope. As governor was chosen previous governer Jacob Abraham Uitenhage de Mist.

Jakob_Abraham_de_Mist.jpg

Governor Jacob Abraham de Mist

800px-Cape_Town_in_1800.jpg

Cape Town/Kaapstadt in 1815

Nice picture where is it from?
How about the other African possesions at the Gold coast. I hope the Dutch did not agree to swap them nad remainde the trading forts which were ''leased'' from the Ashanti

Would there be a lot of that immigration?

Perhaps more Africans from other parts of the sub-continent would be brought to do the crap work that nobody wants to do?

The Africans were rebelious that's why they brought in the Javanese IOTL (who were loyal to the Dutch rule), TTL this would continue and not interrupted b the British. Like it happend IOTL Suriname, they are like 20% of the population. They would be very welcome in the cape.

I dont think the Cape would go full Apartheid, but stay somewhere on USA level: 1st class white people (Which most likely also includes Japanese and Chinese, like OTL), 2nd class Javanese and Indian people, 3rd class black people. Untill this ends in the 1970's (like in the USA).

I dont think the Cape would go full Apartheid, but stay somewhere on USA level: 1st class white people (Which most likely also includes Japanese and Chinese, like OTL), 2nd class Javanese and Indian people, 3rd class black people. Untill this ends in the 1970's (like in the USA).
You forgot the Coloured people.

The Africans were rebelious that's why they brought in the Javanese IOTL (who were loyal to the Dutch rule), TTL this would continue and not interrupted b the British. Like it happend IOTL Suriname, they are like 20% of the population. They would be very welcome in the cape.

Chinese weren't white in South Africa.

Also, the indigenous people of the Western Cape were the Khoi and the San, there weren't any black Africans there.

abc123

Banned
Will the East Indians be welcome?

Will the Dutch Cape be as racist as South Africa was in OTL?

There will obviously but much less British influence in this TL than in ours.

Another question, what will become of Cecil John Rhodes? In OTL he initially went to Natal and eventually became PM of the Cape. Will he still end up in Africa?

About East Indians, I presume that they will be more welcome than local black population...

About racism, I sincerely don't know. What do you think?

And about Rhodes, maybe he will go, but this time he will stay in Natal...

abc123

Banned
Nice picture where is it from?
How about the other African possesions at the Gold coast. I hope the Dutch did not agree to swap them nad remainde the trading forts which were ''leased'' from the Ashanti

Thanks. The picture is from Wikipedia- dutch Cape Colony article.

About Gold Coast, it remained under Dutch rule until 1871, so that's far far in the future, and all sorts of things are possible...

abc123

Banned
The new beginning- 1815.

While the participants of Congress of Vienna danced their waltz and eat Sacher cake, governor-general of Kaap Kolonie arrived in his colony. After taking over from British governor ( and offering all British soldiers and administrators there that they can stay if they want- a great deal of them accepted ) Jacob de Mist started with first administrative steps.

He re-issued his old decrees from 1804 ( the British abolished them in meanwhile ). This was intended to ease administration by dividing the colony into less disparate geographic areas. The settlement was previously divided for magisterial and fiscal purposes into four districts – the Cape, Stellenbosch, Swellendam and Graaff-Reinet, – this reorganisation divided it into six of smaller size and he stantioned landdrosts in the two new districts- Uitenhagen and Tulbagh.

He also ordered construction of the fort on western shore of Great Fish River, with 100 soldiers, to mark a border towards the British ( in theory ) and Xhosa ( in practice ) area. The name of the new settlement was Oostfoort.

Another re-issued proclamation was declaring that all religious societies that worshipped an Almighty Being were to enjoy equal protection under the law, and that no civil privileges were to be attached to any creed. This ordinance also provided for the establishment of schools under control of the government and not belonging to any religious body.
Another ordinance of De Mist had reference to marriage and ended the need to travel to Kaapstad to obtain a marriage licence and be married by a clergyman. The ordinance permitted couples to be married by a landdrost ( some sort of magistrate/local administrator ) and two heemraden ( some sort of local councilor ).

6dud47h4j62q6nul9f6r_thumb.jpg

Map of Kaap Colony in 1815

Last edited:

abc123

Banned
I think Port Elizabeth was in Dutch claimed territory as it is west of the Great Fish River

Good update, though I think most British administrators would have left, unless they had large landholdings, which I doubt most of them did.

I meant more on common soldiers with their families.

About Port Elizabeth, British built a fort there during Napoleonic Wars- Fort Frederick.

abc123

Banned
Were there that many soldiers with families in the Cape at the time?

I feel like they would have to give that fort up as part of the peace agreement, or make an agreement that states that they still operate it, but it is on Dutch territory.

Well, some soldiers they should be there, and considering relativly small numbers of the Dutch there, even a few hunderts is pretty large number.

About the base, I doubt it, because they allready get False Bay, and Fort Frederick is on the border, why bother when they can build their own fortress few dozen miles on the east.

Last edited:
Chinese weren't white in South Africa...

It depends on which China they came from. South Africa had very close relations with the Republic of China (aka Nationalist China, aka Taiwan) and it's nationals were afforded the same honorary white status the Japanese were.

abc123

Banned
1815-1818 period

In this period, governer managed to stabilise his colony. Imigration from Europe was continued and number of White settlers was now about 60 000. Jacob de Mist decided to organise his military forces, he had infantry regiment ( 1st Kaap infantry regiment ) in Kaapstadt, with small detachments in Uitenhage and Tulbagh. There was also cavalry regiment- 1st Kaap cavalry regiment with garrison in Graaf Reinet.

On the other hand, local Commandos, consisting of all able White man in the district, continued to have great importance.

There was no major problems in relations with Britain or natives. British founded two forts in eastern area, one is named East London and the other d'Urban. That led to conflicts with Xhosa and Zulu tribes.

It depends on which China they came from. South Africa had very close relations with the Republic of China (aka Nationalist China, aka Taiwan) and it's nationals were afforded the same honorary white status the Japanese were.

I know that, but in general Chinese weren't considered 'white'.

For the purposes of affirmative action and so on, Chinese people in South Africa are considered 'black'.

In this period, governer managed to stabilise his colony. Imigration from Europe was continued and number of White settlers was now about 60 000. Jacob de Mist decided to organise his military forces, he had infantry regiment ( 1st Kaap infantry regiment ) in Kaapstadt, with small detachments in Uitenhage and Tulbagh. There was also cavalry regiment- 1st Kaap cavalry regiment with garrison in Graaf Reinet.

On the other hand, local Commandos, consisting of all able White man in the district, continued to have great importance.

There was no major problems in relations with Britain or natives. British founded two forts in eastern area, one is named East London and the other d'Urban. That led to conflicts with Xhosa and Zulu tribes.

It's unlikely that there will be clashes with the Zulu, who were in Natal.

Have the British expanded that far up the coast, or are they still in what is OTL's Eastern Cape?