Duck and Cover! An American Spinoff of Protect and Survive.

Supremacists are causing serious trouble. This seems planned and concerted.

Planned? No.

Its a .000001% chance that you'll all of sudden see a united white facist front emerge. Partly due to simple logistics. Too many small groups in a large area that has been devastated..But also due to the same issues that affect these groups pre-war. None of the different little groups that are being wild and lawless have much in common....save one locus....Tyler Tyles sold a number of these groups a lot of nasty toys that can kill people. In turn much of those toys got resold to other people who really don't give a shit about life...and those people are thriving now in a world where law and order is compromised at best and nonexistant in some areas.

Within Nebraska there seems to be coordination, but actually, it isn't. You have a few splinter groups in the hinterlands who may have a way getting a message to the main hive of whacks, crazies and Tyles, but for the most part they are freelancers.

Now the part that is planned and coordinated is how they are drawing people under their wing. Some are true believers, most are just so damn worried, tired, sickened, demoralized and hungry that they will listen to anything.

And that pendulum will swing both ways.

" I rather suspect Chipperback to clear the Picture until Gov. Kerry is only Left to Rule As POTUS. ;-)

President Kerrey? Right now, Columbia is the last place on his mind. There's no guarantees he'll survive as Nebraska's leader at this point. He's dealing with a simmering challenge to his leadership on all sides. Lawlessness growing. Discontent with how aid has been handled etc.
At one level, Kerrey and the executive councils are doing what they can, but at another level, even with all the planning...GOLDENROD is throwing against a stacked deck as been since February 21st.

As far as who runs the country...The next few updates in Duck and Cover will look at who's the next in line...and within that is a number of key unanswered questions.

Planned? No.

Its a .000001% chance that you'll all of sudden see a united white facist front emerge. Partly due to simple logistics.

I agree here. We might just as well have witnessed acts of violence and terrorism from different backgrounds. Oh, well, actually we do.

President Kerrey? Right now, Columbia is the last place on his mind.

Well, I was halfway joking. You did a good deal of cleaning out in that update. If this were Hollywood, I knew I would be right. :D

"You did a good deal of cleaning out in that update. If this were Hollywood, I knew I would be right.

Stay tuned. A lot of interesting names crawl out of the bunkers soon. Including a name not mentioned often, but very much in the picture.

April 1, 1984
1530 Hours
Meeting of the Southwest Suburbs Cooperation Council
City Hall, Parma, OH

Attending:
Berea Mayor Jack Kafer
Brook Park Acting Mayor John O'Reilly*
Parma Mayor John Petruska
Parma Heights Mayor Paul Cassidy
Strongsville Mayor Walter Ehrnfelt Jr
Middleburg Heights Mayor Gary Starr
NOT PRESENT: Mayor of Olmsted Falls, Olmsted Township Trustee, Mayor of North Royalton

JP: Mayor Taylor isn't going to be here, his boy's sick.

JO: Radiation?

JP: Naw, flu.

JK: Thompson isn't going to show up either. I don't know why.

JP: Ok then. What in the fuck is going on in Cleveland? O'Reilly, don't you have ears inside?

JO: Yeah, my grandmother. Still lives on 30th and Hancock. Anyway, those snows we had? The refugees were the ones clearing it off the streets. Rumor has it they were dumping the stuff into the lake.

JK: JESUS CHRIST!

WE: Seriously? Dear Lord. Is this going to affect Avon Lake's quality?

JO: I don't think so, the currents work west to east, but...

JK: I'll have to get in contact with the Geology chair at BW and see if he has any flow charts for the lake.

JP: Yeah, do that. You might want to give Avon Lake a head's-up as well, Jack. Have them monitor the radiation levels in the water they pump in from the lake. Anything else out of the Mistake By the Lake, John?

JO: They're using a money system based on calorie intake, but what they're paying the workers at Republic Steel is only enough for a day's worth.

GS: Well, their cooperation council is called the CCCP after all.

JP: Wow. Not even George Forbes would have the balls to pull this one off.

PC: Forbes is on the leadership committee.

JP: I stand corrected, Paul. (Receives a memo from a staffer) Thank you, Nancy.

Nancy: Yes your honor.

JP: (Reads the memo) We have a situation, gentlemen. Apparently Republic Steel's been bombed.

GS: You're joking.

JP: I fucking wish. This says mass casualties. Paul, behind you there's a radio. Flip it on, it should be already tuned to WWWE.

(Cassidy turns on the radio
)
Radio: The Mayor is missing in a cowardly attack by enemies of the CCCP on Republic Steel, a vital cog in our war effort. The dissidents rigged bombs to explode during the Mayor's tour of the plant. We have called for our neighbors to help in this time of need.

JO: Fat fucking chance of that.

JP: Yeah. Wait a minute guys. (Picks up phone) Yeah, Chief Kovacic. Chief, Mayor Petruska. Yeah, I heard about Cleveland. Well, our equipment is down for maintenance. Yes, all five engine companies. Yes, including the ladder. Say it's rather unfortunate, we've been running them ragged during all this. I know, I know. If Cleveland wants our help-Yeah, no. Bye Chief. (To the members) If Cleveland calls on us for mutual aid, forget it.

JK: Yeah, same here.

JO: Ditto. "Oh gee, I'd like to send an engine or two, but that wall of yours is in the way."
(Group laughs)

JP: Cuyahoga Heights and Newburgh Heights are going to.

JK: They have no choice.

GS: Right in one. They're in a stranglehold.

JP: Poor guys. CCCP just may annex them.

JO: Don't even need a vote to do it either.

WE: I don't have to worry about the Hermit City coming to me, I got Gary and John between me and them.
(Group chuckles)

JP: Well, O'Reilly might want to put a few more cops near the Ford foundry. You can use some of my guys if you need them. CCCP may just "appropriate" it.

JK: I can send a few off-duties. The Patrol Post may be persuaded to send a few troopers as well.

GS: The boys that patrol the North Side are yours if it comes down to it.

WE: I can have a special detail sent. I'll talk to Brunswick and Medina too.

JP: Might be worth to alert Lorain. They may try to confiscate the US Steel plant.

(Members murmur agreement)

JP: Supplies holding out?

JK: Yeah, the Feds have been giving out rations at Baldwin Wallace and the high school.

GS: Same here at Midpark. St. Bart's is giving sanctuary.

JO: They've been giving out packs at the old tank plant.

JP: Good. That's a huge place. How many people are staying there?

JO: Air Force crews and those that came in on diverts, including Speedbird 21. I've instructed the police to see if there are any vacant houses in the city. May be a few vacationers that got caught.

JP: Good idea. I've talked to the realtors here and instructed them to open up the houses they have for sale to refugees.

JK: Baldwin Wallace has a couple empty dormitories. Some of the out-of-state students went to their homes to be with family. The empty space can be used for shelter. There's some vacant homes around too.

PC: Same here, not a lot, but some.

JP: Priority to families and couples, then no more than six to a house depending on the number of bedrooms. Four beds means eight max, but I doubt there are many on the market or "abandoned".

(Group gives agreement)

JP: Okay, have we heard from anybody out there? Medina County's alive, so's Lorain, Lake, Geauga, and Wayne. The Ag Extension folks have been helping out at Stearns Farmstead.

JK: Keep hearing something on 1370 AM. Country music, some oldies, civil defense announcements at the top of the hour.

GS: Isn't that a Toledo station?

JP: Maybe. See if you can't get an identity, Jack.

JK: Will do.

JO: My dispatchers have been montoring the CB and they keep hearing something faint out of Nebraska. All they can make out is the state.

JP: Good. We could use Nebraska farmland.

WE: 570 AM mean anything to anyone?

JO: Kitchener, Ontario.

PC: Couple stations in Kentucky broadcast on that freak.

JP: Think they'd be low power though.

GS: Youngstown?

JK: Very good possibility.

JP: It would be a boon if Youngstown's alive. All right, I want you guys to tell your dispatchers when they're not handling calls for service to broadcast channel and location over the open air. Let's see who we can get. Same time...

JK: Think it's my place. Avon and Avon Lake's going to sit in.

JP: Good. If anything develops between now and then, give a shout. We're all in this together.

All the mayors except for O'Reilly are real people. Gen_Patton gave me his OK to post this.

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
Hmm... This might just be a seed for a mini-Civil War in Ohio. CCCP and occupied territories vs. everybody else.

New thread idea (need proper location to place it)

I can't find the thread where you're supposed to propose new spinoffs...help please?

anyway, Louisiana based idea that is itching...

the Island-at the beginning of the P&S timeline, a well known hot-sauce company based on Avery Island, Louisiana was run by a retired Brigadier General, US Marine Corps Reserve...among other things, Avery Island has its own salt mine.

For those who aren't aware, South Louisiana has several very large underground salt mines and the Marine BG is a real person alive at that time, in fact his dented helmet and the samauri sword used to dent said helmet are at the WW2 Museum in New Orleans...

Now, that being said, think about what a wealthy, politically connected, retired military officer (with a distinguished combat record) can do:

1) LOCATION-Avery Island sure isn't on anyone's target list
2) A needed commodity in recovery - salt and tons of it
3) Hot sauce would be a welcome addition to bland diets
4) back channel politically and through the Marine Corps and State of Louisiana and various companies...
-equipment storage in various salt domes
-retired recall of several dozen Marines and assigning them to the 4th MarDiv (rear) technically in New Orleans
-actually getting some of the politicians to talk to each other pre-Katrina and across state lines (particularly with Texas and Mississippi)

Last edited:
I;m a few posts into this story and have finished the UK story...can someone PLEASE tell me the secretary is secretary of WHAT?? and is he next in line of succession and acting president?
This is not laid out and I'm really confused :confused:

I;m a few posts into this story and have finished the UK story...can someone PLEASE tell me the secretary is secretary of WHAT?? and is he next in line of succession and acting president?
This is not laid out and I'm really confused :confused:
IIRC, Donald Regan was U.S. Secretary of the Treasury.