Denmarks colonies go to Sweden along with Norway following Napoleonic Wars

Like the title says I'm wondering what would change for both Denmark & Sweden if Sweden got all the Danish colonies along with Norway?

That is quite a few colonies.

We have;

Danish Virgin islands.
Greenland.
Iceland.
Färoö islands.

Danish gold coast (a few forts OTL sold to UK in 1850).
Tharangambadi, Serampore, Achne and Pirapur (in India, OTL sold to UK in 1845).
Nicobar islands (although the colonisation had not been very successful there due to repeated outbreaks of Malaria).

Sweden will need to maintain a strong navy to maintain this and fight Indian Ocean piracy. I suspect the Asian colonies might be sold to UK as Denmark did when they grow unprofitable, as Sweden has no other interests in the region, but Sweden might try to maintain the Gold Coast colonies as part of the coalition to end slave trade and then when the Berlin congress rolls around get a slice of Africa.

Denmark might very well be swallowed by Prussia becoming part of greater Germany as there is much less of a reason for UK to be scared of that happening since Germany wouldn't gain any colonies which they could use as launch pad for naval ambitions

I don't think the Danes would be too eager to join, nor the Prussians to eager to take the whole thing

I don't think the Danes would be too eager to join, nor the Prussians to eager to take the whole thing

A few years ago there were found some documents saying that Christian IX suggested (in private) to effectively become a vassal of Prussia (full-fledged member of the German Confederation) ... and that the primary reason (... or one of them) why it didn't happen was because Bismarck was dead against it for geopolitical reasons, mainly that they didn't want to antagonize UK by, in their view, potentially challenging their naval superiority, which they believed they would have done if they grabbed all the colonies as well

Last edited:
The Danish King tried to join the German confederation, not Prussia, in a desperate bid to keep Schleswig, Holstein and Lauenburg as part of the Danish crown. The Prussians did not want non-German speakers to join the confederation, so that was that. I don't see how the lack of overseas territories will make Denmark weaker - perhaps the Danish army will have more resources as opposed to the navy, with no overseas territories to protect.

The Danish King tried to join the German confederation, not Prussia, in a desperate bid to keep Schleswig, Holstein and Lauenburg as part of the Danish crown. The Prussians did not want non-German speakers to join the confederation, so that was that. I don't see how the lack of overseas territories will make Denmark weaker - perhaps the Danish army will have more resources as opposed to the navy, with no overseas territories to protect.

A few years ago there were found some documents saying that Christian IX suggested (in private) to effectively become a vassal of Prussia (full-fledged member of the German Confederation) ... and that the primary reason (... or one of them) why it didn't happen was because Bismarck was dead against it for geopolitical reasons, mainly that they didn't want to antagonize UK by, in their view, potentially challenging their naval superiority, which they believed they would have done if they grabbed all the colonies as well

Fascinating, I didn't know that.

what would this do to Sweden though. Would it still become neutral? Would Sweden be any more important on the world stage? Would the union with Norway last longer? If it still doesn't when it splits who gets the colonies?

I think this could actually help Sweden-Norway staying together in the long run as the Norwegians saw the Faroes and Iceland as definite Norwegian territory and losing them was cause of much ire among the Norwegian public.