DBWI: What was your favorite part of the 1980s?

I don’t know what the Gang of Four were thinking. And who knew those lunatics could strike the east coast? Best part of the 1980s for me was not being in L.A. when it was hit.
I for rather enjoyed that Chinese ICBMs malfunctioning and not deploying their MREVs that did spare all of New England and the gulf coast.
Look on the bright side the United States did not get hit nearly as hot as the Soviet Union.

I don’t know what the Gang of Four were thinking. And who knew those lunatics could strike the east coast? Best part of the 1980s for me was not being in L.A. when it was hit.
Did you like the drama about it, Miracle Mile, or does that hit too close to home? I heard its loosely based on a true story.

I for rather enjoyed that Chinese ICBMs malfunctioning and not deploying their MREVs that did spare all of New England and the gulf coast.
Look on the bright side the United States did not get hit nearly as hot as the Soviet Union.

I was quite happy being in Western Europe/UK and sitting out the exchange in blissful peace as both sides seemed to forget us.

But for me the 80s started well with the centralist Liberal Democrat party dominating UK Politics and regaining their rightful place as the main party in the UK after a 60 hiatus.

Particularly their use of the international community in ending the Falklands Crisis by bringing international pressure on the failed Argentine Junta which resulted in a peaceful end to that potential conflict and then starting the Irish peace process bringing an end to the 'troubles' mainly by directly tackling the 'social issues' that drove support for the IRA in addition to including them politically in the process.

That the lone LST I was deadheading on back to Okinawa was to obscure to be a target. The rest of my battery was on Guam when it was nuked. Radiation poisoning for all there. I got back to Okinawa in time for the eradicagtion of the PLA enclave that had been trapped for a week. Once the Communist cadres we're separated the Chinese PoW we're a docile lot. Hardly any over age 19, and pathetically happy the Marines did not torture them.

As unpopular as the call was and still is in Latin America, I think the disqualification of Argentina from the World Cup in 1986 for cheating was a step forward for FIFA and international football in terms of showing that yes, it did have some standards.

Being on my first boat and sinking the entire Kiev Battlegroup in the Med. Then getting the Oscar, Victor and Alpha on our way to Diego Garcia. That and the Governor of Arkansas and his wife both going to prison in 1980 for his rapes and her covering it up.

The rise in popularity of Bruce Lee during that decade.

After establishing himself as a martial arts movie star during the 70s, Lee would be part of the ensemble cast of The Cannonball Run movie making good use of his karate and kung fu moves in the few minutes he was seen in the film.

That movie also starred Clint Eastwood as Seymour Goldfarb Jr., a wealthy Jewish playboy so obsessed with Clint Eastwood that he had plastic surgery to look like him and pointed a toy gun at his mother while uttering "Go ahead, make my day"; Sally Field, as Burt Reynold's on-screen romantic interest; Charo and Farrah Fawcett as the femme fatale racing team; and an airplane-like car driven by Leslie Nielsen and then-little known David Hasselhoff.

In sports, hands down it was the New York Mets dynasty with their World Series championships in 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987 and 1989.

The 1987-1989 animated Watchmen TV series: Crimebusters. It was a animated series about the 1960es Crime-Busters leading up to the Keen-Act of 1977. As well as the animated series 'tales of the black freighter'.
Also the Watchmen inspired Post-Apocalyptic TV Series , Shock Survivors`', about New York teenagers living in the aftermath of Ozymandia`s Alien Squid attack and developing strage visions.
And the 1989 Watchmen movie, which didn´t received that much positive feedback. But it had an impressive cast.

The 1987-1989 animated Watchmen TV series: Crimebusters. It was a animated series about the 1960es Crime-Busters leading up to the Keen-Act of 1977. As well as the animated series 'tales of the black freighter'.
Also the Watchmen inspired Post-Apocalyptic TV Series , Shock Survivors`', about New York teenagers living in the aftermath of Ozymandia`s Alien Squid attack and developing strage visions.
And the 1989 Watchmen movie, which didn´t received that much positive feedback. But it had an impressive cast.
The Watchmen Movie was my favorite film by Director Terry Gilliam.

The rise in popularity of Bruce Lee during that decade.

After establishing himself as a martial arts movie star during the 70s, Lee would be part of the ensemble cast of The Cannonball Run movie making good use of his karate and kung fu moves in the few minutes he was seen in the film.

That movie also starred Clint Eastwood as Seymour Goldfarb Jr., a wealthy Jewish playboy so obsessed with Clint Eastwood that he had plastic surgery to look like him and pointed a toy gun at his mother while uttering "Go ahead, make my day"; Sally Field, as Burt Reynold's on-screen romantic interest; Charo and Farrah Fawcett as the femme fatale racing team; and an airplane-like car driven by Leslie Nielsen and then-little known David Hasselhoff.

In sports, hands down it was the New York Mets dynasty with their World Series championships in 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987 and 1989.

The Red Sox winning it in 88 over the Mets was great . My brother is a Mets fan and the fact I got to gloat a bit about baseball in the 80's was special even if it was just one year. Funny how the Yanks moved out of NY in the 90's to Tampa when Steinbrenner wanted out of the city I doubt that happens if the Mets were not so strong.