DBWI: What if the USFL tried to move to the fall?

The USFL has had quite a storied career. Over time, it built itself into the go-to choice for football fans starved of action in the spring. Their ways of controlling the costs, and work on grassroots support has become one of the textbook examples of the long-haul strategy, and Burt Reynolds' investment in the Tampa Bay Bandits arguably kept him from going bankrupt in the 1990s.

I read recently that during Donald Trump's short-lived tenure owning the New Jersey Generals, he tried and failed to convince the USFL to plan to move its games to the fall to compete directly with the NFL. How would this have turned out?

It was a minor ownership thing in the beginning, in '83. Burt was posed to take full ownership, but stood aside. But his investment has clearly paid off.

My biggest concern is all the great USFL players would end up. Players like Steve Young, Jim Jelly, Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, or even Reggie White.

But I will never forget the 1991 USFL vs NFL match.

The reigning USFL Champs New Jersey Generals led by Jim Kelly vs. The 49ers with Joe Montana. A classic upset with the Generals winning. I think that is what really washed away that image of the USFL simply being the "other league." But an actual contending league.

I would have to say with the evidence of all of their Spring time success the two leagues could not exist separately at the same time. A move to the Fall would have obviously lead to them being amalgamated into the NFL. Just like the merger with the AFL back in the day.

Donald Trump would be the first President to be visited at the White House by his own Team.

The Basketball Generals may always lose to the Globetrotters but the Football Generals are America's premiere dynasty.

I would have to say with the evidence of all of their Spring time success the two leagues could not exist separately at the same time. A move to the Fall would have obviously lead to them being amalgamated into the NFL. Just like the merger with the AFL back in the day.

Donald Trump would be the first President to be visited at the White House by his own Team.

The Basketball Generals may always lose to the Globetrotters but the Football Generals are America's premiere dynasty.
Well with the success of the USFL, it has helped made "lesser" or less larger leagues more viewable as people know they have an alternative. The CFL is always an enjoyable time to watch, which was nearly impossible to watch if you weren't Canadian. Heck, even the Arena Football League is able to get coverage of at least one game a week during their season in the late winter to mid spring and of course their playoffs and championship games.

Plus who knows where so many players would've gone with the thrust of USFL players. We never would've never seen the rise of the Detroit Lions in the 2000s with QB Tom Brady at the helm commanding a once losing team into a dynasty. Especially with a dangerous two receivers in Steve Smith and Chad Johnson.

Plus it means other players would be elsewhere. Can you imagine the Barry Sanders and Kurt Warner duo of the Green Bay Packers being anywhere else? That late mid 90s and late 90s Packers team was elite. They won three championships in 96, 97, and 99. That's nearly impossible, but that unit was incredible. Imagine that team being dispersed because of the influx of amazing USFL talent into the NFL system.

The USFL also brought football to North Carolina, Alabama and Tennessee with an expansion team in Mississippi to debut next spring. Do you think the NFL would have had teams there?

The USFL also brought football to North Carolina, Alabama and Tennessee with an expansion team in Mississippi to debut next spring. Do you think the NFL would have had teams there?

I think the NFL would have felt discouraged by the huge popularity of college football in those regions.

Also, what does the USFL alignment look like today?

Ak-84

Banned
Can you imagine Peyton Manning in the NFL? (Who had the top pick in the NFL that year BTW)? And no I don't count his end of career 4 years with the Patriots. Sure he won a couple of rings, but it was his defence which won it.

I think the NFL would have felt discouraged by the huge popularity of college football in those regions.

Also, what does the USFL alignment look like today?

Independence Division
Carolina Panthers (formerly the defunct Michigan Panthers)
Houston Gamblers
Jackson Blitz (Former Chicago Blitz) [1]
Oakland Invaders*
Orlando Renegades*
Portland Breakers*
San Antonio Gunslingers*

Liberty Division
Baltimore Stars*
Birmingham Stallions*
Jacksonville Bulls
Las Vegas Outlaws
Memphis Showboats*
New Jersey Generals*
Salt Lake City Gold

[1] Planned to be put in effect next season

Possibly in the Carolina area. But I doubt in Memphis, at least for a long time, and certainly not Alabama, that is college football territory.

Can you imagine Peyton Manning in the NFL? (Who had the top pick in the NFL that year BTW)? And no I don't count his end of career 4 years with the Patriots. Sure he won a couple of rings, but it was his defence which won it.

I actually cannot. He helped pick up and rebuild that Memphis Showboats team after Jim Kelly had to retire. But even still, he was great in the NFL. We have to give him credit there.