DBWI: No Live Action Sailor Moon Movie

Nobody thought an anime like Sailor Moon could work as a live action flick. But somehow, the filmmakers pulled it off.

By 1996, Walt Disney Pictures wanted to cash in on Sailor-Mania while they still could.

Brad Silberling came aboard to direct shortly after Universal's Casper became a big hit the year prior.

As a result, Casper star Christina Ricci came aboard to play Serena Tsukino. Fellow Casper star Devon Sawa was cast play Tuxedo Mask.

The role of Queen Beryl would prove to be the comeback role for Geena Davis, whose career had taken a hard hit from the failure of Cutthroat Island.

For many Sailor Moon fans, Christmas Eve 1997 would be a day they'd never forget.

.....and to think what would've happened if the film didn't get the greenlight.....

For many Sailor Moon fans, Christmas Eve 1997 would be a day they'd never forget.
Oh yeah they wouldn't forget it alright. The end result was an utter sham: Disney meddled everywhere, cutting pieces of the story, keeping the creepy "cousins" nonsense between Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus while doing next to nothing to actually adapt it to make it such; Seiya Kou and Sailor Star Fighter being different characters (specifically, different-sex twins) awkwardly shoved in; and overall poor direction.

Thankfully they're thinking of trying again soon, if nothing else because it got people angry enough to want a re-try, but still...

Nobody thought an anime like Sailor Moon could work as a live action flick. But somehow, the filmmakers pulled it off.

By 1996, Walt Disney Pictures wanted to cash in on Sailor-Mania while they still could.

Brad Silberling came aboard to direct shortly after Universal's Casper became a big hit the year prior.

As a result, Casper star Christina Ricci came aboard to play Serena Tsukino. Fellow Casper star Devon Sawa was cast play Tuxedo Mask.

The role of Queen Beryl would prove to be the comeback role for Geena Davis, whose career had taken a hard hit from the failure of Cutthroat Island.

.....and to think what would've happened if the film didn't get the greenlight.....
The film bombed so hard Disney decided to drop any involvement with anime. This made Viz media stay firmly with Warner Bros, who had big success with anime on Kids WB and Cartoon Network. Disney refused to have any involvement with anime for the rest of the 21st century, making Time Warner and Sony having a virtual monopoly over anime control in the US. Cartoon Netowrk's viewer ratings spiked up so high after that Sailor Moon failure to the point that Toonami is still airing to this day.

The role of Queen Beryl would prove to be the comeback role for Geena Davis
The only one benefited of the film, at least she was amazing as the evil stepmom later on
Thankfully they're thinking of trying again soon, if nothing else because it got people angry enough to want a re-try, but still
because they still have sailor moon movie rights and dont want to loss them, but seems now Will be animated rather live action now(reversing Disney remake trend)

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
As a result, Casper star Christina Ricci came aboard to play Serena Tsukino. Fellow
What Alt-TL is this? Britney Spears got the Role after Disney canceled the Mickey Mouse Club show.

Wait a second I don't remember there being a live-action Sailor Moon movie Disney did distribute the English dub in America though.

I know this may sound insane but I think I crossed over into another universe or at least this website gave me a tiny glimpse into another universe. Before you think I'm insane I checked everywhere on the internet and there is not a live action Sailor Moon film by Disney in my timeline at all.

And it seems like I'm not the only one from an alternate universe.
What Alt-TL is this? Britney Spears got the Role after Disney canceled the Mickey Mouse Club show.

How is this possible? I'm betting it's a disruption in the space-time continuum or something else like that.

The movie was horrible but its also the reason why the dragon ball movie in 2009 was so good.

Steven Chow the producer of the movie had played a part in the sailor moon movie and when he heard the Akira toreyama the creator of dragon ball was not only being ignored but told that his advice was unwanted well in the directors cometary he said that he remembered the sailor moon movie and emidatly had director James Wong fired and removed by security a brand new director was brought in formal apologises were given to Akira who was given full reign of the set and script.

The result was a three film francize that made billions world wide and turned Justin Chatwin into a global superstar.

The movie was horrible but its also the reason why the dragon ball movie in 2009 was so good.

Steven Chow the producer of the movie had played a part in the sailor moon movie and when he heard the Akira toreyama the creator of dragon ball was not only being ignored but told that his advice was unwanted well in the directors cometary he said that he remembered the sailor moon movie and emidatly had director James Wong fired and removed by security a brand new director was brought in formal apologises were given to Akira who was given full reign of the set and script.

The result was a three film francize that made billions world wide and turned Justin Chatwin into a global superstar.
Shame the same can't be said for my timeline's version.

I'm guessing no one seems to give a shit over the fact that I am from another timeline. I figured people on this forum would be asking me all sorts of questions by now about how different my timeline is compared to yours. Maybe I should ask some questions.

@OldNavy1988 did you create American Magic on this website? In my timeline you created an alternate history story called American Magic that focuses on an alternate history of The Walt Disney Company there's a part in the story where John K the guy who created Ren and Stimpy kidnaps a girl and essentially becomes that timeline's OJ Simpson by getting into a police chase in a Bronco.

Edit: I may have discovered multiversal internet travel. Here's a link to it in case it dosen't exist in your timeline. https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/american-magic-a-different-history-of-disney.397048/

Edit OCC: I was roleplaying as someone who somehow ended up in an alternate universe since in all honesty I didn't like the direction the DBWI went. Sadly nobody seemed interested in interacting with me or thought I didn't know what a DBWI is I thought i'd clarify if your confused.

Last edited:
because they still have sailor moon movie rights and dont want to loss them, but seems now Will be animated rather live action now(reversing Disney remake trend)
Which is just as well. Although I do hope they won't try to make it 3D for essentially no reason.

Which is just as well. Although I do hope they won't try to make it 3D for essentially no reason.
We're waiting to see what they do, hope Is 2D but Pixar would do justice to Sailor moon too.

The film bombed so hard Disney decided to drop any involvement with anime.
IIRC didn't Disney got sailor moon rights for Disney+ ? Seems that Is their only involvement with anime, they even passed ghibli rights to MGM...that Is why epix always rerun those movies

We're waiting to see what they do, hope Is 2D but Pixar would do justice to Sailor moon too.

IIRC didn't Disney got sailor moon rights for Disney+ ? Seems that Is their only involvement with anime, they even passed ghibli rights to MGM...that Is why epix always rerun those movies
Um, Sailor Moon Crystal currently airs on Toonami on Cartoon Network

What in the hell happened to this thread? Does no one actually remember the Sailor Moon movie? God, I feel like I landed in the world of Candle Cove. What's next? Is @eldandythedoubter gonna come in posting how he had a VHS copy of the movie that his parents insisted just played static?

For one, Ricci wasn't Serena Tsukino (and yes, it was Serena Tsukino, they kept the dub anime names.) Nor was it Britney Spears. Claire Danes took the role, passing on Romeo + Juliet. Also, they never even got to the Outer Senshi, much less the Starlights. The whole movie was focused on building up the Inner Senshi (and Sawa's Tuxedo Mask) and given the first movie bombed, there was no way any of that would come up. Like, I barely remember much of the movie outside of Soleil Moon Frye as Raye, but I feel like the thread's turned into a mess.

What in the hell happened to this thread? Does no one actually remember the Sailor Moon movie? God, I feel like I landed in the world of Candle Cove. What's next? Is @eldandythedoubter gonna come in posting how he had a VHS copy of the movie that his parents insisted just played static?

For one, Ricci wasn't Serena Tsukino (and yes, it was Serena Tsukino, they kept the dub anime names.) Nor was it Britney Spears. Claire Danes took the role, passing on Romeo + Juliet. Also, they never even got to the Outer Senshi, much less the Starlights. The whole movie was focused on building up the Inner Senshi (and Sawa's Tuxedo Mask) and given the first movie bombed, there was no way any of that would come up. Like, I barely remember much of the movie outside of Soleil Moon Frye as Raye, but I feel like the thread's turned into a mess.
Don't blame me I'm just a guy from another timeline where this movie never existed.

What you asking me for? I was a Cardcaptors kid.

I checked for myself and well in my timeline at least on Christmas Eve 1997 Disney actually released Anastasia on that day. The film that reunited Don Bluth with Disney for the first time since the 1980 cult classic The Black Cauldron.