DBWI: Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (2001-03)

The Hobbit Part One and Two also did a lot for Del Toro's career. Without it we would never have gotten At The Mountain Of Madness with Tom Cruise.

Oh, yeah. Hell, we almost never even got that. Apparently Universal was considering pulling the plug on the project, but seeing the figures for the Hobbit convinced them to keep the project going. The Elder Ones and shoggoths still haunt me.

That is true. However, we did get a few good films. The Chronicles of Narnia was alright. So was the incredibly underrated "The Last Unicorn." The first Discworld film is considered incredibly good. And the craze led to Game of Thrones getting greenlit.

This just made something occur to me: without the 2000s fantasy craze, would there still be a Discworld Cinematic Universe in development? On the one hand there'd be no precedent with Discworld: The Colour of Magic and Discworld: Sourcery (well, the latter may be an advantage...) but on the other hand shared universes for films are big right now and Discworld is pretty much the perfect source material. Or perhaps there would be a DWCU but it'd have to start with The Colour of Magic rather than the Mort movie they're making now.

Well the adaptions of the Discworld books seem to be paving a way for big screen versions of other fantasy novels, an adaption of Robert Rankin's Brentford Trilogy is also in production

Oh, yeah. Hell, we almost never even got that. Apparently Universal was considering pulling the plug on the project, but seeing the figures for the Hobbit convinced them to keep the project going. The Elder Ones and shoggoths still haunt me.

Some purists hated the movie because Del Tor and Cruise turn it into an action/horror adventure movie, but I thought it was great. I know it got a lot people reading the source material.