DBWI: Horse Cavalry

I know that most people say that horses are too skittish and impossible to tame, but what would it be like if ancient man had managed to domesticate them? Could they have been used to the same effect as, say, elephants?

OOC: After so many WI cavalry threads, I thought this was appropriate (and yes, I realize that the word “cavalry” doesn’t really work if horses aren’t domesticated, but I wanted parallelism with the other threads).

If horses were domesticable, we wouldn't need the huge bug farms to feed our meerkat steeds.

We have domesticated and used at least ten different species as cavalry over the course of our civilization, but the horse? Preposterous.

Horses are very fast and want to stay with their herd. What about homing horses? Take a horse from its herd and bring it with you, strap a message to its back and let it go. The creature will make its way back to its herd and thus deliver the message.

The only real advantage over homing birds is that horses would travel in weather that grounds the birds.

Horses are very fast and want to stay with their herd. What about homing horses? Take a horse from its herd and bring it with you, strap a message to its back and let it go. The creature will make its way back to its herd and thus deliver the message.

The only real advantage over homing birds is that horses would travel in weather that grounds the birds.

A good idea, but it will only work in landlocked territories. However, we might be able to train horses for land delivery and dolphins for sea delivery. A fascinating concept.

The horse riders would have gotten pwned the minute they came up against a regiment or two of our TL's bear cavalry. (OOC- don't know the correct term for bear riding cavalry)

OOC : Bear Cavalry ? "Ursiny" ! :D

Does anyone seriously think that those rinky-dink little horses could out perform Giant Hares and Battle Cats in speed and ferocity? I think not!:rolleyes:

IC : I totally agree ! Especially, when we have those wonderful rabbucks to ride on and carry burdens for us :

rabbuck.jpg

OOC : :D

maverick

Banned
What the fuck is a horse?

Can these so-called horses defeat a regular Elephant division? or even match the Ursiny?

Are they like Giraffes? because the Giraffe Cavalry has been heavily outmatched by the light Elephant divisions and the heavy ursinii...since like, Constantinite times...

Ok I'm sorry am I missing something? What do you mean by "Horses" I live in the US and I'm pretty sure you mean what I think you mean...but are you people talking about Donkeys? or some smaller form of horse? Cause this sounds really retarded...

Urusai[InFi];2149841 said:
Ok I'm sorry am I missing something? What do you mean by "Horses" I live in the US and I'm pretty sure you mean what I think you mean...but are you people talking about Donkeys? or some smaller form of horse? Cause this sounds really retarded...

A horse is a wild animal that, yeah, is basically related to cattle and donkeys. For practical purposes, the advantage is that they are crazy fast, but the disadvantage is that they are small.

And there actually are horses in the USA! You should read Misty of Chincoteague. It's written for children, but it's great. Basically, in the colonial age the Spaniards tried to introduce horses to what's now De La Ware. Like everyone else who's ever tried to domesticate horses, the Spaniards quickly gave up. Since De La Ware is so rural, the horses to this day have plenty of room to roam free. Misty is about this modern-day family that, just for the heck of it, tried to domesticate a horse cub. Turns out that if you have 40 acres or so for them to run around, they're great pets!