DBWI Has anyone ever heard of "Doctor Who"

Come on you must remember that episode near the beginning of the second season where the Enterprise found Skaro, despite Spock's best efforts to keep them away from it due to Vulcan legends about the place. The results of which caused Skaro being placed in the same category as Talos IV!
Also remember that the Dalek-Borg War shown in Voyager were the best episodes of that iteration of Star Trek.

They could make him replaceable by having the part by like the Dread Pirate Roberts and have him take on apprentinces who replace him. Or rename the show to something less about the main character to allow for spin-offs (perhaps 'Time Trek' :D).

That would probably conflict with Star Trek here in the States, though. Maybe it could be called "Doctor Time" or "The Chrononaut" here, if not "Doctor Who"?
:cool:

That would probably conflict with Star Trek here in the States, though. Maybe it could be called "Doctor Time" or "The Chrononaut" here, if not "Doctor Who"?
:cool:

Not sure why we're still discussing a failed pilot from the '60s, but it's not going to compete with Star Trek. It's just going to be a generic educational television show. I doubt it makes it the US, which has plenty of that stuff already.

So basically, it's an earlier, history focused version of "Look Around You" or one of the BBC's other generic educational shows. At best, we get a little more experimentation with overarching plots in kids' TV earlier.

well, even though it'll problably never reach star trek staus, a lot of failed sci fi is actually making a come back recently, including that one movie by a guy named george lucas called star wars that never went famous once it was in theators. Of course the newer was a lot darker, and more violent, but who knows, it could happen with doctor who, sure it woulden't be a kid's educational show anymore, but with what they did to seaseme street after it wad cancelled, putting a new remake on adult swim and all, it woulden't suprise me

OOC: star wars never got famous because everyone was so into star trek they thought star wars was just going to be a cheap rip off of star trek, and seaseme street was cancelled because butterflies

I can imagine it would have some marginal success, probably with parents hoping it'd educate their children. That'd get pretty stale though, and with many in the top brass of the BBC requesting there be "no bug-eyed monsters" I doubt the show would last for more than a few years.

If they did go for a more sci-fi-ish show, though, perhaps when Hartnell leaves his granddaughter would take over? Perhaps bringing her teachers back on board, so as to provide the show with older characters.

Not to go too far back in the discussion, but this put me in mind of another solution that might carry a show like this on for a couple years. Presuming Hartnell's health failed as it obviously did (and I can't imagine otherwise; the regular work might help keep his mind a bit sharper, but arteriosclerosis is what it is), it's entirely plausible that they could make it a bit of an anthology series; have Susan taking her teachers around to various points in history, show what "would have happened" had her grandfather not interfered, and then explain what happened due to his intervention. Basically, switch it from a science-fiction historical series to a science fiction alternate history series. Eventually, they could work it up that Susan, seeing how the Doctor helped keep time on course, decided to do the same, once the actress was old enough for that to seem reasonable, then they could bring it more in line with the original vision.

Not sure that'd work perfectly, but it'd have kept them going for a few more years, at least.

Even it this Doctor show gets made, who is going to watch it? And for how long? Everyone knows the BBC makes the worst television shows in the English language. The last thing the "beeb" tried to export to America was a show about 2 old fat ladies riding around on a motorcycle cooking dinner :eek:!

OMG, even "Gilligan's Island - The Golden Years" was better than that!

If anyone's interested, I managed to find the opening theme to this show on YouTube. Someone had a record. It has an almost Twilight Zone feel to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPYiy2_ZavU

Actually, if we combine dilbert719's idea of an alternate history show (maybe with the Doctor fixing the histories into OTL) with a Twilight Zone vibe and clever writing, this might have been one of the best shows on TV. Even if it doesn't last long, it might leave its mark on the science fiction genre from then on.

And if it is a popular show, or even if it just has a cult following, it'll probably be remade in the 2000's with a movie or something. They've been remaking a lot of things these days.