DBWI: Franz Joseph seeks Russian aid in 1849

So I read recently that Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria had nearly requested for Russia (then the "Gendarmerie of Europe") to intervene in the Hungarian War.

IOTL Haynau was able to convince the Emperor that the cost to the Empire's prestige would be too great and that Austria had the means to win on its own. The two year slug fest which ensued might made the Emperor regret this choice. Still, the Hungarian War required Austria to radically reform economically, militarily, and politically.

What does the Empire look like if Russia provides a swift end to the conflict?

Will the Hungarians be less restive if "Haynau's March to the Mountains" is avoided?

What happens to the Erfurt Union if Austria gets out of its civil war soon enough to oppose it?

Last edited:
We'd likely see a smaller italy. OTL, the Austro-German war was tedious but ultimately a victory for the German and Italian forces. The slug fest gave italy its chance to shine, especially at the battle of Zadar. They barely won Venetia early on, but after Germany gave them the more modern rifles they were a force to be reckoned with.

No Franz Joseph based reforms. Prussia takes Vienna early on and Italy doesn't get the chance to prove themselves or the then modern equipment. This means that the German government would be less tired of the Danubian empire, and it would mean a less aggressive treaty.

Plus the war came about because Austria was insulted they weren't consulted on the unification, despite being a bit busy at the moment. If they put down Hungary early on they are likely consulted and the war might be averted wholly.

We'd likely see a smaller italy. OTL, the Austro-German war was tedious but ultimately a victory for the German and Italian forces. The slug fest gave italy its chance to shine, especially at the battle of Zadar. They barely won Venetia early on, but after Germany gave them the more modern rifles they were a force to be reckoned with.

No Franz Joseph based reforms. Prussia takes Vienna early on and Italy doesn't get the chance to prove themselves or the then modern equipment. This means that the German government would be less tired of the Danubian empire, and it would mean a less aggressive treaty.

Plus the war came about because Austria was insulted they weren't consulted on the unification, despite being a bit busy at the moment. If they put down Hungary early on they are likely consulted and the war might be averted wholly.
OC: when do you imagine this war would happen?

OC: when do you imagine this war would happen?
OC: some time in the early 1870s, after the hungarians are put down but before the reforms are quite solidified. I'm assuming that the Erfurt Unification happened at some point in the 60s. Austria's war was fueled by a want to test their reforms, and to make Germany renounce their claims to Austria, as i think by the 1850s, Grossdeutschland was still an option. in exchange for the italian concessions, they at least got that wish

OC: some time in the early 1870s, after the hungarians are put down but before the reforms are quite solidified. I'm assuming that the Erfurt Unification happened at some point in the 60s. Austria's war was fueled by a want to test their reforms, and to make Germany renounce their claims to Austria, as i think by the 1850s, Grossdeutschland was still an option. in exchange for the italian concessions, they at least got that wish
OC: The Erfurt Union was a Prussian project in 1850, and was explicitely aimed at not including Austria. If a conflict came about because of it it would likely be in the 1850s, meaning Italy wouldn't exist and "Germany" would be centred on a Prussia which didn't have the benefit of Roon's reforms or public support. Also the 1870s would be about two decades after TTL's proposed end of the Hungarian Revolution, hard to see why Austria would wait that long given that it only waited a year after its OTL end to issue its challenge.

Sorry, I know we aren't supposed to nitpick posts in DBWIs.

OC: The Erfurt Union was a Prussian project in 1850. If a conflict came about because of it it would likely be in the 1850s, meaning Italy wouldn't exist and "Germany" would be centred on a Prussia which didn't have the benefit of Roon's reforms or public support. Also the 1870s would be about two decades after TTL's proposed end of the Hungarian Revolution, hard to see why Austria would wait that long given that it only waited a year after its OTL end to issue its challenge.

Sorry, I know we aren't supposed to nitpick posts in DBWIs.
OC: no sweat. I thought italian stuff happened faster, and had a brain fart in general on top of it