DBWI: Earlier End of American Bandstand

As you might be aware, the iconic show American Bandstand was on the air from 1952 to 2004 with Dick Clark hosting the show from 1956. Anybody who was anybody in the music business appeared no that show to promote their latest hit record. And the mostly teenage crowd on the dance floor was dancing to rock and roll, disco, new wave, dance pop, boy band pop and Euro-techno music.

There were rumors in the industry that American Bandstand was this close to airing its last show in 1989. Thankfully, the FOX Network was interested in airing the show on Saturday afternoons and return it to its 1 hour format. Who can ever forget the appearances by Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Sugar Ray, Backstreet Boys, N-Sync, Beck (3 appearances), Shania Twain, Diddy, Boyz 2 Men and The Spice Girls?

Let's say that Dick Clark fails to reach an agreement with FOX and the show goes off the air in 1989? How would the careers of the above performers be affected without American Bandstand? And would music video channels still be airing music videos at least 16 hours a day?

Discuss among yourselves.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Sugar Ray, Backstreet Boys, N-Sync, Beck (3 appearances), Shania Twain, Diddy, Boyz 2 Men and The Spice Girls? . . .

I'm also concerned with the career of Dick Clark himself. Some people say that leaving Bandstand freed him up for his indy projects in his later years. I don't know. I kind of take the opposite view that he needed the grounding and base of Bandstand in order to get out there and take some damn chances. Please remember, many of his indy projects failed. We only tend to remember his successful ones.

In any case, please notice his easy style in interviewing Quarterflash in 1983.