Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Tellus

Banned
What's the strongest AI country you guys have seen in CK2?

Ive seen AI Rus stretching from the Urals to Azerbaijan to the Holy Roman Empire to Sweden. Pretty insane. Somehow after unification, the King of Rus got a claim on the Kingdom of Hungary and pressed it successfully, then annexed all the Baltic pagans and slowly nibbled all the way through Poland and Cuman.

Mongols pwned the whole thing like a house of cards though.

The above HRE annexed the Crimean (sans the Byzantine counties) and have been using the port it gained there to ship massive reinforcements to it's Crusader duchies in the middle east to repel an invasion of the Shia Caliphate! :D

HRE always seems to pick up some crusader territories. I inherited a few when I conquered them, but keeping them is proving a bit of a pain. Attrition in the desert is not forgiving.

The best definition of the HRE I've read so far is "a black hole where counties go to die". I hope it gets patched, otherwise by 1300 the entire eastern half of the map is controlled by four megastates (HRE, Byzantium, Golden Horde and IlKhanate) whose borders do not move in what's left of the game.

But if the Emperor's all powerful that's what will happen. As it is the Empire is in nonstop civil war. I've been playing as the Duke of Mesopotamia and there's been many more years spent in Civil War than out of it and the Empire has expanded quite a bit despite that (even when you factor out my direct contributions). Without the handicap of nonstop civil war the Byzantines will just roll over the Middle East in an unstoppable flood.

Although apparently, the Byz should have lots of events that measure their overall success, depending on the player. Strategos' defecting and takes half of your army in revolt, your rival takes the European half when you're away fighting in Egypt, Turkish revolts, Venetian crusades directed on to you, your wife plots a takeover while you are abroad, Bulgaria and Serbia plots together to bring you down, likewise on Muslim nations, province defection and revolt penalties when overstretching you demesne. Or perhaps, Muslim nations get bonuses when fighting the Byz and vice versa. Overall, all I wanted was to give more culture to the Romans, as they were very different from what is portrayed in CK2. At least.

I did specifically mentioned a while ago that the Crown authority for Rhomania can be similar to the Imperial authority in EUIII. The more prestigious you are, the better your skills, the more you have your hold onto the army, the more your Empire demesne, the more loyal your men will get. While being low on Crown authority may mean that you have less levies, enemies plotting on your demise, nations plotting against you, and more men will revolt against you. Crown authority may lessen or added through random events, wars against the Muslims [I personally think the Patriarch can set crusades against Muslim provinces, sort of missions like from EU3]. Many more.

Anyone here up for a complete overhaul of the Byzantine Empire? As you can see, the Byzzies must have no dukes, no counts, but instead all lands must be under the king, except for the bishoprics. That said, the Emperor must have unlimited demesne, and his crown authority can be the same as the Imperial Authority in EU3. However, controlling vast tracts of land will raise the exhaustion of the Roman people. Constantinople must also be a special city, with two kinds of troops, the Varangian Guard and the city levies, has high tax, better defenses, prestige, etc. There should also be an option to regain Rome, unify the churches, bonuses in defending against the Muslims and Venetians, etc. And Rhomanions must be tolerant to Islam and Turk culture, no penalty in having Islam and Turk in the demesne, but bonuses to Orthodox and Greek ones. The military levies should be divided into tagmas not by counties, which will have varying amount of troops and troop types, according to region culture and religion, tech, and the like. For example, for Latin tagmas there will be the Roman knights, for the Anatolian tagmas there'll be the kataphraktos, or horse archers. And also, if the heir has any birth defects, he/she is not eligible to be the emperor, thus the title will pass on to the next.

Now that the school year here is coming to a close, freeing up lots of my time, I would like to engage in creating an overhaul of the Byzantine Empire.

I really don't think that's what he suggested in the first place. And I don't think any of us have any sort of a grudge against the muslim world...:p...regardless, playing as the Byzantines it kind of makes sense to try and beat some sense into the Empire's mortal enemy the muslims, don't you agree? Like how if playing an Irish lord you'll do your best to keep the English out of Ireland, or if you play a Rus lord you'll try to beat the Cumans back.

Anyway, I think the objective of this mod would be that the in-game structure of the Byz Empire should be modified to more closely resemble the OTL structure. Whereas now it's basically a copy of the Western European feudal system with the titles altered to sound "more Byzantine".

Nobody talked about turning the ERE into some sort of ultimate muslim exterminating machine...

He is........

1. Unlimited Demense for the Emperor.

2. No Vassals.

3. Constantinople gets alot of Bonuses.

4. Defence against Muslims and Venetians (this can be exploited just by getting the Muslims to go to war with you, and then conquering them.)

5. Tolerance to Muslims and Turks.

6. Bonuses for owning Greeks and Orthodox Provinces.

7. No Bad Emperors.

Tellus

Banned
You conquered the HRE!? :eek:

Whats so extraordinary about that? I'm half of Persia and Abyssinia away from a full map conquest right now, and I started as a Duke with two counties.

The Invasion CB lets pretty much anyone establish a strong powerbase once they're ready to take on a major foe. From there, once you get an Imperial title, and get the right claimants to become your vassals, uniting Christendom is a walk in the park. The Muslims are more annoying because you must beat them duchy by duchy, but its not HARD, and you get great Crusade bonuses in the process. As for Byzantium, if you arrange for a (catholic) member of your dynasty to have a claim, which takes awhile but isn't really hard, you can use the Invasion CB to gobble it in one war once you're strong enough.

Conquest in this game is easy once you get the hang of it :)

The most annoying and frustrating part for me is taking the time to allocate my conquests to good and loyal lords. I probably spend more time in the character browser than directing armies.

Last edited:

Tellus

Banned
The Byzantines are already overpowered.

Be that as it may, the current model doesnt do justice to the ERE at all as it wasnt a feudal state.

Personally, I wont go ahead and suggest a tons of bonuses that would unbalance the game, but Id like to eventually see different but balanced mechanics that more accurately reflect the nature, strengths and weaknesses of the eastern Empire. Basically making it a wholly different playstyle than the feudal Catholic lords, much like Paradox plans to add playable Republics and playable Muslims at some point with their own sets of mechanics, events, etc.

Im more than slightly annoyed the only mercenaries that want to work in Jerusalem are the Bulgarians. Who seem almost perpetually employed by people who arnt me, including the Muslims.

Soldiers of fortune! Where is your thirst for adventure? Your thirst for wealth! Your thirst for combat!

Im rich (compared to everyone else), so its not like i cant afford them. Its just stupid territorial rules mean none of them are avaliable for hire. I might as well move my capital to Salerno or Antioch or something. >.<

Hope it gets changed/fixed in a latter patch.

Whats so extraordinary about that? I'm half of Persia and Abyssinia away from a full map conquest right now, and I started as a Duke with two counties.

The Invasion CB lets pretty much anyone establish a strong powerbase once they're ready to take on a major foe. From there, once you get an Imperial title, and get the right claimants to become your vassals, uniting Christendom is a walk in the park. The Muslims are more annoying because you must beat them duchy by duchy, but its not HARD, and you get great Crusade bonuses in the process. As for Byzantium, if you arrange for a (catholic) member of your dynasty to have a claim, which takes awhile but isn't really hard, you can use the Invasion CB to gobble it in one war once you're strong enough.

Conquest in this game is easy once you get the hang of it :)

The most annoying and frustrating part for me is taking the time to allocate my conquests to good and loyal lords. I probably spend more time in the character browser than directing armies.

Me too, I go through a slow process of inciting Lords to rebel, then stripping their titles and awarding them to members of my culture (usually the intrigue-generated courtiers or members of my vast dynasty).

It would be nice if you could strip more than one title at a time from a disloyal vassal without getting reputation hits though. Some of the more powerful dukes take forever to whittle down.

Tellus

Banned
Me too, I go through a slow process of inciting Lords to rebel, then stripping their titles and awarding them to members of my culture (usually the intrigue-generated courtiers or members of my vast dynasty).

It would be nice if you could strip more than one title at a time from a disloyal vassal without getting reputation hits though. Some of the more powerful dukes take forever to whittle down.

Do you mean you do this after using the Invasion CB?

If so, keep in mind, any province you occupy in an Invasion war will switch to you and can be freely re-assigned. Before an invasion war, look carefully at the structure of the enemy kingdom and decide ahead of time which lords you really want to be rid off and occupy their holdings. Alternatively, dont peace out before you've conquered everything. (Easier said than done with big countries like Byzantium tho)

Do you mean you do this after using the Invasion CB?

If so, keep in mind, any province you occupy in an Invasion war will switch to you and can be freely re-assigned. Before an invasion war, look carefully at the structure of the enemy kingdom and decide ahead of time which lords you really want to be rid off and occupy their holdings. Alternatively, dont peace out before you've conquered everything. (Easier said than done with big countries like Byzantium tho)

I didn't know that, got the peace I wanted with the HRE pretty early (you need only grab surprisingly few territories once you take out their levies). Thanks for the info, next time I'll know to wait it out.

I often try and end wars as quickly as possible, out of fear my enemy (or my character) dying and inexplicably ending the war.

7. No Bad Emperors.

For the others, see my next to the last post. However in this one, emperors that will have birth defects are going to be ineligible for the Emperor position, so if a dynasty fails to produce an immediate heir with no birth defects, another dynasty takes the throne, which will result in a starting 0 crown authority, sparking numerous revolts until you consolidate on your empire, making it stable for a decade before warring again. For human players, it is somewhat easy. However, an AI will have difficulty handling the oversized demesne with such low crown authority, and will spend the next years quelling rebellions from the empire. And also, if you get maimed or wounded in battle, perhaps there will be talks about the succeeding emperor already, sparking numerous plots against you, some of your strategos switching loyalties to your immediate rival, or tagmas refusing to answer the call to war.

Actually, I don't want to overpower the Byzantines. However, in my honest opinion, the ERE is seriously very different from what is in CK2.

Tellus

Banned
Patch 1.04 is now available through the launcher. Steam version should follow in the next few hours.

Checksum: MLDO

CHANGE LOG:

MAJOR:
- Revised the Message Setting system
- Religion groups are now marked playable in the religion file (no more hard coded rule)
- AI: Improved marriage acceptance. Smarter about "Desires Better Alliance". Values prestige gain or loss higher.
- Added some useful status info to the delayed character tooltip (similar to the info in debug mode)
- Cooldown added to excommunications (only for the same Pope though)
- Doubled the flanking damage bonus in combat
- Increased the flank leader Martial skill bonus in combat by 50%
- Fixed a CTD that can occur in a rare situation with characters having multiple wars against each other
- Nerfed taxes given by bishops to Anti-Popes by 50%
- Holy Orders now cost maintenance if you're in at least one offensive, non-Crusade war
- Halved all peasant revolt risk factors
- Added an "Isolated County" revolt risk modifier and cut the special events that used to simulate it
- Peasant Army size is now determined by the biggest holding garrison size (so they will always be dangerous)
- The Succession War CBs now have the proper success outcome
- Fixed a bug with the usurpation of titles that would hand over all vassals too
- AI: More wary of expensive assassinations
- AI: Fixed some issues with the correct Casus Belli choice
- AI: Tweaked vassal revolt risk to depend more on ambition from traits
- The duchies of Cornwall and Brittany are now de jure part of the Kingdom of Wales
- Buffed the Caliphates and the Seljuks. Nerfed the Byzantines.
- Added vassal Seljuk mercs; the Ghilman
- Now shows a portrait of the target in available player plots
- Hooked in missing plot icon in available player plots

MINOR:
- Upped the chances of dying due to disease a little bit
- Increased the effects of the genius, quick, slow, imbecile and inbred traits
- Reduced the levy size effect of some of the "recently occupied" modifiers
- Nominated bishops are now properly disinherited at once
- Fixed a bug with the guardian opinion modifiers given when entrusted with a ward
- Combat events will not happen until three days into a combat (to avoid commander deaths and such when overrunning tiny forces)
- When an Anti-Pope is installed in Rome, the old Pope no longer becomes an Anti-Pope
- Waived the opinion penalty for held elector titles for elective duchies and below
- Fixed a CTD issue that could occur in tooltips when hovering over Holding modifiers as they expire
- Vassal mercs can now always be employed by their liege, no matter their religion
- Scaled wealth effects and triggers are now based on nominal peacetime income
- Fixed an error in the opinion warning when banishing characters (not the correct figure.)
- The game will now also auto-generate an appropriate number of traits for children with not enough scripted traits
- Added a text warning/explanation for DoW on a revolter
- Traits are now read from multiple files, facilitating modding
- Fixed an issue with event ids in a namespace
- Fixed an issue with flipping "random god names" tooltips in fire event effect tooltips
- Fixed a bug with the decision 'Demand Duchy from liege' with duke tier lieges (should not be available)
- Fixed a tooltip issue with the "any" type event triggers
- Better tooltips for event triggers 'higher_tier_than' and 'lower_tier_than'
- Re-enabled selection of the same type of plot again for players
- Fixed an issue with save/reload of the last selected plot/ambition
- Fixed an issue with protected inheritance not always working under Gavelkind
- Exported MAX_ELECTOR_TITLES_LEGALLY_HELD to defines
- Exported the max duchies held opinion penalty to defines
- Exported the tax penalty for bishops loyal to the Pope or Anti-Pope to the defines
- The "recently conquered" holding penalties are no longer applied during civil wars or wars between vassals
- AI: Fixed a bug where the AI would grant titles to vassal mercs
- Added 'same_guardian' trigger
- Slightly nerfed William of Normandy's initial army size
- Switched the portraits of Harold and William the Conqueror
- Changed some title colors to conform better to their cultural region
- Added proper history for the Prince-Bishopric of Agen
- The Earl of Atholl is now a _legitimate_ bastard

Just tried a game as Harold Godwinson using the patch. I'm pleased to announce that they've FINALLY got it right--England's got the biggest army of the three forces, but is still outnumbered by both Norway and Normandy put together. Which means that you can usually take out ONE of your foes right out the gate, but it takes some maneuvering to get both. So a Saxon triumph is no longer the sole result of gamey exploits, or dumb luck.

I downloaded the Demo of Crusader Kings II a few days ago to see exactly how the game works, to try it and to see wether or not I will buy it in the end.

The Tutorial they made is pretty clear although I find the game in itself rather hard to play. Maybe that's because I'm a newbie and I have still to adapt to the game mechanics for a bit. Despite these difficulties, I enjoyed playing this game although it requires a lot of time to play a game.

I chose to play as Bolselaw II of Poland because it's apparently the easiest one you can play in the Demo. I started by marrying him to his cousin Lanka of Hungary because she had rather good traits. After a few years of marriages, the couple produced a daughter and three sons (in that order). Boleslaw II had a happy 18 year-long reign during which I inherited the Duchies of Kuyavia (which I later gave to a vassal) and Masovia from my brother Wladyslaw as he had died childless. I also managed to expand Poland a bit by conquering a county that was de jure part of Masovia. Things were looking pretty well until the last months of Bolselaw II's reign.

By that point, things went downhill. I married my daughter to King Stepjan II of Croatia because I thought it was good move. It wasn't: I was dragged into a war opposing the King of Croatia to the Duke of Apulia and the Duke of Dalmatia. Boleslaw went to war personnally and found death there at age 42. The new King was his homosexual eldest son, Szczeny I: as he had not turn adult yet (he was 14-15 and needed to turn 16), he was under the Regency of his mother for a few months. Szczeny's inheritance was reduced by the fact his brother received parts of Boleslaw II's land (because of the Gavelkind law of succession). While I was still fighting for my brother-in-law in Croatia, I had to face a revolt from the Duke of Kuyavia (which would have been defeated) who didn't like my new King (-79 in their relations). A few days later, the Pope was launching a Crusade in Iberia and I sent my army that had been fighting in Croatia (because the war had ended). And then, the King of Bohemia declared War upon me... After a mere 2 year-long reign, the game stopped for Szczeny I and for me. I don't know why as Szczeny had two younger brothers who could have succeeded him (his heir was his brother Kazimierz).

I don't know where I went wrong but I guess that's because I'm still inexperienced and made mistakes. Even so, I had lots of fun in that game and I will definitely buy it if I have the chance.

Something did disturb me though: back when I was playing as Boleslaw II, 5 year old Szczeny asked him the question "how are babies made?". Despite the response I gave, I still didn't understand why it gave my son the trait "deceitful" :confused:. I know there are probabilities, but come on.

I don't know where I went wrong but I guess that's because I'm still inexperienced and made mistakes. Even so, I had lots of fun in that game and I will definitely buy it if I have the chance.

Ahem, there's a little thing in this game called: assassinating your children. Try it out. It helps.

Something did disturb me though: back when I was playing as Boleslaw II, 5 year old Szczeny asked him the question "how are babies made?". Despite the response I gave, I still didn't understand why it gave my son the trait "deceitful" :confused:. I know there are probabilities, but come on.

If you lie to your children, they think that lying is okay and start lying themselves. Hence, deceitful. Being honest with your children about everything gets them either trusting, kind, or honest traits.

Basically, you wanna build a spymaster, lie to your kids, you wanna build a diplomat, be honest.