Collaborative Worldbuilding Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, I'm sorry for not being present as often as before, as you know, in many parts of the world there are festivities and adding to that, in my particular case I'm in the period of entering university.
Dude, it's okay. Life happens. But no matter what, THE THREAD MUST GO ON!

I'm still here and still interested. I'm a biologist, however, and thus the geography stuff scares and confuses me.
I understand. The planes and mythology that Fox Fire created took me a while to grasp. Maybe you could work on some of the animals and plants of Jarvien/Central world.
Anyway, here's the progress with the names of the continents:
Southeast-unnamed
Southwest-Oedinus
Capricorn-unnamed
Cancer-unnamed
Northeast-Balkas
3 more continents to go!
Tangle and Slngemeinster had some great ideas for names:
Tyantukh
Vizh
Aldamri
Shkuy
Camalo
Vanzher
Kamrit
Bayoj
Weaboo
Eylpahg
Malkent
Kaoel
Vmeit

Alien-to-english-speaker ones:
Mkli
Njdlrn
Zkljmcr
Continent Name Ideas:

Aran
Iwand
Acira
Grauzura
Eolonia

Last edited:
I'm still here and still interested. I'm a biologist, however, and thus the geography stuff scares and confuses me.

Hopefully we can sketch out the biomes soon, then we can go in depth with designing life on this world. Speaking of which, does anyone have any ideas for unorthodox biomes? Not that we need any.

I recommend you all check out the Planetocopia website. It has some GREAT worldbuilding, and we can use a bit of inspiration too.

Last edited:
Thread seems interesting, so I'd like to help. What are the current projects going on right now? Looks like there is topography work in the process. Maybe ocean currents, then climates?

Thread seems interesting, so I'd like to help. What are the current projects going on right now? Looks like there is topography work in the process. Maybe ocean currents, then climates?
None of that is my specialty. I've vowed myself to culture and what have you.
EDIT: Welcome to the thread! I'm sorry if I seemed a bit rude back there. Even though I may not be the best at that stuff, if you want to get started on climates you can.

Last edited:
My propositions for naming the continents:

Haresh
Shava
Rumayah
Qodesh
Thulsa
Nemetha
Arqoba
Gamman

Great names!
Here's my final version of the Name chart, using several ideas from the past:
Southeast: Malkent
Southwest: Oedinus
Capricorn: Rumayah
Cancer: Haresh
Northeast: Balkas
A map would be great!

A map would be great!

jarvien-continents labeled.png

If anybody wants to chip in, we still need to finish the topology, predict ocean currents, and decide where mineral resources go. It's important that we get this done so that we can move on to the more interesting part!

A proposal:
When the Cataclysm occured, it misplaced a lot of energy. This energy collected into clumps, which over time devolved into the Fundamentals, a group of resources that can be used for medicine, energy, etc. The fundamentals were scattered across the earth, and today they are very valuable.

ffworldrivers2 Currents.png

Rough map of ocean Currents. I've labeled the Equitorial, Arctic, and Antarctic currents. I left most of the other currents blank, except for the one coming off of the Gulf of Haresh (or whatever it will be called) that will warm northern Balkas. Orange lines are warm currents, blue are cold, black are either default or 'normal' currents. Since there are lots of choke points in the seas of the southwestern hemisphere, the red circles represent a unique flow pattern, where most water stays trapped in these gyres.

Until the topographic map is done, we won't know exactly what the climate will look like, but here's a rough idea (from west to east).

Western Haresh and Rumayah will be Californian and Peruvian/Chilean, respectively - relatively dry and arid. The regions of Rumayah, Namouris, Oedinus, and Aran bordering the inland lakes should be fairly warm and wet, since the lakes supply warm water and the winds are mostly favorable. Likewise, eastern Namouris, Aran, and Malkent will be bathed in a warm equatorial current.

Because of the unique way that eastern Haresh curves, it will be warm (think Eastern US) but it also shoots warm water up towards western Balkas, creating a European climate.

Feel free to bring up any questions or critiques.

Until the topographic map is done, we won't know exactly what the climate will look like, but here's a rough idea (from west to east).

Western Haresh and Rumayah will be Californian and Peruvian/Chilean, respectively - relatively dry and arid. The regions of Rumayah, Namouris, Oedinus, and Aran bordering the inland lakes should be fairly warm and wet, since the lakes supply warm water and the winds are mostly favorable. Likewise, eastern Namouris, Aran, and Malkent will be bathed in a warm equatorial current.

Because of the unique way that eastern Haresh curves, it will be warm (think Eastern US) but it also shoots warm water up towards western Balkas, creating a European climate.

Feel free to bring up any questions or critiques.
Makes sense. I'd just expect central Namouris to be pretty arid due to its position in the horse latitudes (which is why I depicted one lake system as endorheic).

We should finish up topography so we can finalize the climate so we can move on to culture, religion, history, and politics. Then things will get interesting.
Also, we don't have an official name for this world, I suggest we think of some names. We will have a poll on it later. I do personally like Jarvien.

A few suggestions to start you guys off with the Name of this world. All of these are in Amhraic.

Mezezu- translates to aftermath. I'd rate this one 3 out of 5.

Kemeweledachewi- translates to reborn. Pretty cool name if you ask me. Definitely gets a 5. But I could probably spell Antidisestablishmentarianism more accurately than this.

Yemiweldi- translates to rebirth. I'd give this a 4 out of 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.