Collaborative Worldbuilding Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how big is this planet going to be also? Like is it a bit smaller than Earth or a bit larger than Earth?

What do you guys think? Make this somewhat small or big?

So how big is this planet going to be also? Like is it a bit smaller than Earth or a bit larger than Earth?

What do you guys think? Make this somewhat small or big?

Earth-sized, to avoid having problems with the gravity and currents. Other worlds we create in the plane (if there is will for that), can have different dimensions. For now let's stick to the bases.

Remember also that you are free to create other cultures/empires and life-forms without having so many restrictions if yo do it before The Cataclysm.

My nigh-eternal desire to insert (giant sapient spiders/cockroach people/lizardfolk/worms-that-walk) into the setting is being set off by you saying things like that.

You could even build a Roman Empire of sentient Giant Spiders if you wanted to, that they aren't in the main world doesn't mean they are extinct or that there isn't some place where they don't have another empire. Even if they had their civilization destroyed in The Cataclysm, doesn't mean that it wasn't great at its time and could even be influencing the current world with what it did in its prime. A great example of this would be the empire of Alexander the Great. Destroyed: Check, ancient: check, still influencing the modern world: Check.

I would like to have humanity as the dominant species of the modern world but that doesn't mean that they are the only one. If you have a good idea, my initial parameters can be twisted around it with no problem but don't discard something without proposing it first.

Here's something for the valley betwen the main mountain ranges on the northwestern continent.

The city of Tomil was, with some justification (though not great justification), considered the greatest in the ten worlds in the age before the Cataclysm. A river sacred to the gods emerged from a divine spring and flowed north through the city and past several satellite communities before turning west toward the sea. That country was ruled and protected by the Blue Council of Tomil, comprising six of the greatest and wisest magic-workers who could be convinced to settle in Tomil, six elected representatives of the country, and the chosen representatives of the gods Mu and Mil. The city was a center of knowledge and study, but also one of high culture and beauty.

But Tomil did not survive the Cataclysm. Upon the war among the gods, the sacred river ceased to flow, and the fields dried up. The appointed Councilors attempted to preserve the food supply through magic, but that failed them, and culminated in Dogos Kinterion, most senior of the mages on the Council, attempting to make himself a god and thus fill that urgently lacking role. But he lacked support from most of his colleagues, and he was only partially successful at the cost of thousands of lives.

In the new era, Tomil remains. Its people are long gone, having fled to other lands, but the desert surrounding it, the driest in the world, has preserved what construction was not destroyed in the Cataclysm: one wing of the Conciliar Palace still stands, its roof reflective with sapphires. What other treasures remain in the ruins has been long forgotten.

Here's something for the valley betwen the main mountain ranges on the northwestern continent.

Nice. Very nice.

How is this for tectonics in as a first sketch?

Collaborative Worldbuilding Project tectonics.png

When you look at a map of the tectonic plates on Earth, you can see that the continental plates extend out into the ocean. I would do the same for what you've sketched, because right now the faults mostly run along the coastlines.

What other advice can you give me at this time before making a new map? I'm not really knowledgeable about tectonics.

What other advice can you give me at this time before making a new map? I'm not really knowledgeable about tectonics.

I'm not good at tectonics either, but I do know that mountains (like the Alps), island chains (like the Caribbean), and narrow seas (like the Red Sea) all tend to form where there are fault lines. For instance, that chain of islands south of the northeastern continent is probably a fault. However, that isn't to say all of these landforms are because of plate tectonics. The Appalachian mountains, for instance, haven't been on a fault line since the time of Pangea.

When two plates collide, they either pile up to form mountains, or one goes under the other, forming volcanoes. When two plates move side-by-side along each other, you get fault zones and earthquakes. When two plates move away from each other, forming mid-ocean ridges and volcanic islands. Very simplistic look at it, but it works for now.

On the culture of this world:
Earth is culturally divided into two: the old world and the new. This was due to the fact that the Americas and the Old World were very far away from each other. In this world, most of the continents are very close together (with the exception of the northeast region, but even that is just a few islands away from the other continents). I think this means that cultures around the world could be very similar to one another. However, This does not mean this world has one uniform culture, but certain cultural elements may repeat themselves.

On the culture of this world:
Earth is culturally divided into two: the old world and the new. This was due to the fact that the Americas and the Old World were very far away from each other. In this world, most of the continents are very close together (with the exception of the northeast region, but even that is just a few islands away from the other continents). I think this means that cultures around the world could be very similar to one another. However, This does not mean this world has one uniform culture, but certain cultural elements may repeat themselves.

I still think the distance between them is enough to create plenty of diversity, especially where there are deserts. Europe and China were both in the Old World, and look at how different they are culturally.

While we're on the topic of geography effecting history, I think that this world is going to have a large number of small countries, like how it is in Europe. Europe is so divided because there are so many natural barriers (e.g. rivers, seas, mountains) that provide good defense, and the way this planet's landforms are stretched, pocketed, and divided makes me think we would see something similar here. This isn't to say we can't have large empires; Europe, for instance, had the Roman Empire, and I see some areas that are a bit more "plain" than the rest.

How about this for a second sketch?

I think that BetweenWorlds Island should have a rift in the middle, because it looks a LOT like that; and that it should also have lines denoting it splitting like Japan- the island chain after it is a telltale. Overall- a bit more branching.

I think the "southern continent" seems to be separated into two by an isthmus. Maybe instead of calling the whole landmass the southern continent, I suggest we temporarily call them the southeast and southwest continents, with the border between each other being the midsouthern isthmus. There also seems to be a western equatorial landmass slightly north of the Southwest continent, also divided by an isthmus. I suggest we temporarily call the portion South of the isthmus Capricorn, and the one north of the isthmus Cancer. The landmass in the northeast should temporarily be called the Northeast Continent. If anyone wants to try and name these continents, I'd say give it a shot.
EDIT: The southern continent has a lot of isthmuses, but the only one we need to worry about is the one separating the southeast and southwest.

Last edited:
LouisTheGreyFox suggested Oedinus for the southwest continent, so there's one. Caisha might work for another continent, and I might as well try to recycle "Namouris" from earlier.

If it makes anything easier, here's a color-coded map I made out of boredom:
jarvien-continents.png

Southeast: red
Oedinus / Southwest: green (shades are subcontinents)
Capricorn: turquoise
Cancer: purple
Balkas? / Northeast: yellow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.