Christmas Truce

I believe Germany had also lost her Pacific colonies to Japan and Britain by the end of 1914. Not sure Japan will be in the mood to give them back, but then I'm far from an expert on the subject.

Could be an early point of contention for the European powers vs. Japan. I really see that as being the big conflict in this century. Wether it comes earlier, at the same time, or later than OTL WWII remains to be seen. But it's definitely out there lurking on the horizon.

Other than necro this poor thread every December, can we create a new one?

I suppose we could....though I like having all the conversation together, plus all the parts of the story.

And it's never been my intention to only post on this in december. That' just how it's worked out because of my schedule. Gotta love real life :p

So I was looking around on wikipedia last night, and one other interesting side note for this TL is that the Berlin Olympics will not be in 1936....but in 1916. It's interesting to note that when war broke out in 1914, the games weren't immediately cancelled, because no one thought that the war would last that long. It wasn't until they continued to drag out and get worse that they were cancelled. ITTL, they were probably never cancelled at all, and so the games will happen as originally planned.

..and that's a problem why, again please? :confused:

Haha I share your sentiments. :)

There will be wars in this TL, and maybe even a big one. But this world will have this moment in 1914 to call upon when conflicts come up, and the idea of finding another solution other than war will be stronger ITTL.

Sorry to necro, but is Part 2 in the works? Anyways, here are my 2 cents on some future events that might happen:

What happens to some of the classical composers without the war? Around this time, there was Ravel, Rachmaninoff, and Debussy around.

From the wiki, it says that Debussy died in 1918, months before OTL's ceasefire. How does the TL mess with music in general?

Another thing, how is culture affected? Earlier in the thread, there was a conversation that talked about what Les Miserables would be thought of in ITL.

Thank you for making this TL! It's very well written! :D

Sorry to necro, but is Part 2 in the works? Anyways, here are my 2 cents on some future events that might happen:

What happens to some of the classical composers without the war? Around this time, there was Ravel, Rachmaninoff, and Debussy around.

From the wiki, it says that Debussy died in 1918, months before OTL's ceasefire. How does the TL mess with music in general?

Another thing, how is culture affected? Earlier in the thread, there was a conversation that talked about what Les Miserables would be thought of in ITL.

Thank you for making this TL! It's very well written! :D

At the moment, everything is still pretty much in hiatus, between real life responsibilities and another project I'm currently working on.

I'm glad you've enjoyed everything thus far though. Always good to hear.

There will likely be some great works produced by artists who's lives were cut short by WW1 in OTL. The possibilities there are pretty endless.

In art and literature, you won't see the pessimistic views that cropped up after WW1 ended in our world. Things will be more optimistic, especially considering the events of the Christmas Truce. If that doesn't represent humanity at or near it's best, not sure what would, and it is bound to have cultural effects in music, literature, and the visual arts.

Musically I think we will see a continuation of the pre-war rag-time and classical preferences, and I think Jazz will be slower to develop.

Like I said, the cultural opportunities are pretty wide open with where things stand now.