Christianity, Commerce and Civilization: A Scramble for Africa TL

I also wonder about the diseases you say have decimated the A-H colonial forces in Africa; quinine was in use by the time Europeans began to colonise Africa in earnest, and allowed white Europeans to penetrate further into Africa. I still think it's a smarter choice to 'divide and rule' as the Austrians are doing regardless, using native proxies to build their empire, but it's something else to consider if they ever send settlers.

Out of curiosity, will we be hearing about other Europeans and their empires as well as the Austrians, and what other areas will the Austrians be going for? Or are they quite happy with the Congo (itself, if properly exploited, supposedly a decent resource base)? What about Belgium?

And do you plan on addressing the Berlin Conference or an ATL equivalent? Perhaps a 'Vienna Conference', or Leopold decides to go for a 'Brussels Conference' to try and satisfy his ego before all the best bits are taken.

Some of the most profitable parts of Africa have always been the bits where white settlers could emigrate to en masse (even if they didn't in reality), such as South Africa (already British of course) and the East African highlands. Also Togoland was said to be Germany's only OTL colony that turned a decent profit.

One final thing, before you go rushing in (as some are wont to do), is to consider what powers didn't have African colonies and the reasons why. The Dutch, for example, surrendered their Gold Coast holdings to Britain in OTL. This was because the Dutch colonial affair minister at the time realised these holdings were unprofitable yet expensive to maintain, and the Dutch were still busy subjugating parts of the much more lucrative Indonesia and they needed the British to accept the Dutch sphere of influence over Sumatra in its entirety (which the British were resistant to do because obviously they too controlled parts of the Straits of Malacca).

The point is, I can't see the Dutch going for anymore colonies in Africa. They still have Surinam (another treaty at the same time as the ones establishing their dominance over Sumatra and ceding the Gold Coast was to contract workers from the British Raj to work in Surinam, interestingly enough).

For other powers, such as the Danes, Swedes, etc, it's worth considering the reasons why not. :)

Just some extra points you probably already thought of them. The Austrians should more or less break their puppet states into as many tribal majority regions as possible otherwise things will get messy in the long run. Look at the current state of the eastern region of the Congo as an example. As long as all the petty chieftains/nobles are squabbling with each other over (just like the old HRE) no ones going to question the overbearing position of their foreign overlord. I would hope that each "state" has some type of Imperial "advisor" who reports to the colonial authority in the coastal colonies. A Long leash but a tight one nevertheless. Maybe some sort of federal colonial state could emerge with each of the regions acknowledging the overall authority of whatever coastal capitol is designated (possibly a renamed Banana. Franz Josefstadt?) All the while left to their own devise.

Also considering how massive their new Congolese colony (with puppet states) is, even minus Katanga, I wonder if they really would need anymore colonial territory. It's been hinted that they'll go after North Borneo compared to OTL they just to be honest don't have the ability to go to far since they're outlet ports can be easily blocked by the Italians in the event of war.

^ Divvying up colonial territories along tribal lines isn't really in-line with European thinkng in the day. More likely they'd prop up certain strongmen against others, organise tribes into confederations under European supervision, and give private corporations free-reign over the resources and how to manage them.

Keep in mind, at the establishment of new colonies the thinking is not "What will this be like when they get independence?" In their minds, they'll be keeping their colonies forever.

Yeah true I kinda went off on that post my bad XD Yeah I put a little bit of hindsight into that post and I mean I was more or less going for what you just described I'm just did badly at it XD

But no worries I know that the idea of eventually giving freedom to the colonies was pie in the sky just trying to figure how AH could control the territory more easily. After all the colony is still about the size of Empire itself more or less. It's practically their own India, with their puppets filling in as Princely states.

It seems like the best bet would have been to simply take what would later be equatorial DRC, it was all that populated and made up of basically small subsistence farmers of Banana, sweet potato and taro rather than the densely populated KiKongo who resided in the south of DRC and northern Angola who by then were under Portuguese control.

You wouldn't even need puppet states, African agriculture wasn't compatible with rainforest climates until Banana and new world crops became established so you'd just have small villages near waterways.
We will see more about other colonies in the next few updates. The A-H Congo won't be as large as the DRC IOTL, but will have a larger coastline.
They will also introduce New World crops to try and form a modern society. In regards to Borneo, A-H intends to expand south (with the cooperation of the Ottomans) and could use the Suez Canal to get to Borneo.
Hope that answers your questions.
The next part will be up by 5:30pm GMT. :D

We will see more about other colonies in the next few updates. The A-H Congo won't be as large as the DRC IOTL, but will have a larger coastline.
They will also introduce New World crops to try and form a modern society. In regards to Borneo, A-H intends to expand south (with the cooperation of the Ottomans) and could use the Suez Canal to get to Borneo.
The next part will be up by 5:30pm GMT. :D
Sorry all, the next part won't be up today, but will be up tomorrow (fingers crossed). :D

Well the extra coastline will definitely help compared to that bottleneck OTL Congo had/has to deal with. Regardless of the interior size. And all those newly introduced crops will at least make the colony highly profitable in cash crops and raw materials (rubber, cacao, coffee, sugar, tea, wood etc.) even with the possible loss of Katanga to Rhodes. Also the introduction of more food variety should help the population fill out more. So you won't want for a steady supply of laborers. All in all the empire definitely through luck if nothing else netted profitable colonies compared to the the vanity projects everyone else was building in Africa.

Sabah really isn't a bad place for a colony either it has pretty large coal deposits (probably the largest on the entire island) and a decent climate for whatever tropical goods your colony wants to grow. That whole regions pretty good for development. Would Sabah be more of a protectorate under Overbeck who's Rajah or a direct colony?

As A-H has North Borneo, will they try and establish more colonies along route, even if they are just coaling stations?
Due to the massive British presence in India, they is little opportunity but some small outposts may appear.
Well the extra coastline will definitely help compared to that bottleneck OTL Congo had/has to deal with. Regardless of the interior size. And all those newly introduced crops will at least make the colony highly profitable in cash crops and raw materials (rubber, cacao, coffee, sugar, tea, wood etc.) even with the possible loss of Katanga to Rhodes. Also the introduction of more food variety should help the population fill out more. So you won't want for a steady supply of laborers. All in all the empire definitely through luck if nothing else netted profitable colonies compared to the the vanity projects everyone else was building in Africa.

Sabah really isn't a bad place for a colony either it has pretty large coal deposits (probably the largest on the entire island) and a decent climate for whatever tropical goods your colony wants to grow. That whole regions pretty good for development. Would Sabah be more of a protectorate under Overbeck who's Rajah or a direct colony?
Sabah, will be a direct colony, but only due to the Dutch and British threat.

Also guys, sudden large amounts of work mean the next part has to be pushed back even more, sorry guys. :(

Due to the massive British presence in India, they is little opportunity but some small outposts may appear.

Sabah, will be a direct colony, but only due to the Dutch and British threat.

All totally reasonable considering the Austro-Hungarians limitations in South East Asia. Definitely look forward to your update :D

Just to let you guys know, this TL is now defunct, I will be launching a new TL with an earlier POD, but it incorporate the scramble of Africa ideas that this TL was based on.
Hope you guys like the remake. :D

I have launched the new TL on another site:
http://otherhistory.proboards.com/thread/88/eagle-never-fails-austrian-succesion
It starts a lot earlier than this one, but when I get to colonisation in will incorporate the colonisation ideas from this TL. If you support the TL on the other site/ it gains support, it will be posted on here as well.
You will have to join the site to read it on there on wait until it is put up on this site.

Last edited:
I have launched the new TL on another site:
http://otherhistory.proboards.com/thread/88/eagle-never-fails-austrian-succesion
It starts a lot earlier than this one, but when I get to colonisation in will incorporate the colonisation ideas from this TL. If you support the TL on the other site/ it gains support, it will be posted on here as well.
You will have to join the site to read it on there on wait until it is put up on this site.

I don't really get the motivation to post it elsewhere, but I will point out you don't need to join to read it. The interface of that other site is pretty awful though. Blue text on a blue background? Too hard on the eyes, IMO. Why not just post it here anyway? This is the biggest AH forumn on the web; you'll get plenty of constructive criticism and discussion.

I don't really get the motivation to post it elsewhere, but I will point out you don't need to join to read it. The interface of that other site is pretty awful though. Blue text on a blue background? Too hard on the eyes, IMO. Why not just post it here anyway? This is the biggest AH forumn on the web; you'll get plenty of constructive criticism and discussion.
Because I wanted to see how well it is received on a smaller scale first, it will be posted on here soon enough. (In regards to the background, that can be changed if you join, it's not my site so speak to Roland of Gilead about that.) Also I was under the impression that you did need to join, apologies for that.
So what did you think of it so far?