Chretien's Wise Men: A Canadian Timeline

New NDP leader to be chosen in August
Winner will replace Alexa McDonough, who resigned following last month's election

CBC News Posted: Dec 15, 2000 2:08 PM | Last Updated: Dec 15, 2000 2:08 PM

B97234473Z.120131004092242000G5M3SNNT.11.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alexa McDonough has announced the NDP will choose her successor in August (CP)

Alexa McDonough told reporters earlier today that the NDP has scheduled the leadership election to choose her successor for August 4, 2001.

Speaking to reporters, McDonough said the party will hold the convention in Edmonton, a move analysts say is likely an attempt to increase NDP support in the west, where the party has lost ground following the election of McDonough as leader in 1995.

McDonough acknowledged that Alberta hasn’t been the most receptive province to her party in the past, but believes that with the right leader the party can make a breakthrough in the province, pointing out that prior to her leadership, “nobody ever thought we could win two seats in the Atlantic, let alone eight.”

Although none come from Alberta, some of the most commonly rumoured names for the leadership – including British Columbia MP Svend Robinson, Saskatchewan MP Lorne Nystrom, and Manitoba MP Bill Blaikie – come from Western provinces, while the remaining names often floated around – such as Toronto city councillor Jack Layton and Nova Scotia MP Peter Stoffer – come from Eastern Canada.

Earlier this week, newly elected Windsor MP Joe Comartin became the first person to confirm an interest in the job, though as a rookie MP it is unlikely he will win in a challenge against long-time MPs Robinson, Nystrom, and Blaikie.

McDonough told reporters that candidates will be able to register for the leadership at the beginning of March, and that she expects a lively race.​

I've got a feeling that Layton won't be the leader in this timeline...

P.S.: This has been a great read so far. I'm really interested in Canadian politics, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot of detailed material on the Chretien/Martin years.

Great update! :D

P.S.: This has been a great read so far. I'm really interested in Canadian politics, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot of detailed material on the Chretien/Martin years.

Thanks again, glad you like it.

You keep mentioning Robinson...

I know what you're doing...:eek:

Hey, I've mentioned Nystrom, Blaikie, and Layton just as much as Robinson, so don't think it means anything.

...then again...

I'd recommend Lawrence Martin's Iron Man, Paul Wells' Right Side Up and Susan Delacourt's Juggernaut.

Janice MacKinnon wins Saskatchewan NDP leadership on first ballot
Defeats cabinet minister, union CEO in a landslide
CBC News Posted: Jan 27, 2001 5:25 PM | Last Updated: Jan 27, 2001 5:25 PM

mg_13931.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[FONT=&quot]Janice MacKinnon has been officially named the leader of the Saskatchewan NDP (CP)[/FONT]

Saskatchewan Premier Janice MacKinnon has been officially named the leader of the Saskatchewan NDP, following a first ballot landslide.​
MacKinnon, who has served as Premier and interim NDP leader since the surprise resignation of Roy Romanow in September, defeated National Farmers Union CEO Nettie Wiebe and Cabinet minister Maynard Sonntag on the first ballot, 62% of the total votes. Wiebe placed second with 23%, while Sonntag came in third 15%.

As a result of her victory, MacKinnon will stay on as Premier, and will lead the NDP into the next election, which polls show will be a tough race with the right-wing Saskatchewan Party, led by former Reform MP Elwin Hermanson.

MacKinnon said she was happy with her victory, and joked that she was “glad I can officially add this to my resume.”

Wiebe, who surprised many with her strong campaign, congratulated MacKinnon on her victory, and said that she knew it was an uphill battle, but was proud of her campaign. Wiebe, who ran on a mostly left-wing platform, did not say whether she would run for the party in the next election, saying it was too soon to tell.

Sonntag also congratulated MacKinnon on her victory, and said that while he didn’t expect to win he was happy to share his views with the party. Sonntag, who many believe ran mostly for the purpose of raising his profile for a future leadership race, is expected to receive a high-profile promotion should MacKinnon shuffle her cabinet.​

John Efford named Premier-designate of Newfoundland
Named Liberal leader following narrow second ballot victory
CBC News Posted: Feb 3, 2001 6:14 PM | Last Updated: Feb 3, 2001 6:14 PM

200401p1.jpg

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]John Efford has won the leadership of the Newfoundland Liberal party, and is set to become the province’s newest Premier [/FONT](CP)[/FONT][/FONT]

Following a narrow second ballot victory, Newfoundland Minister of Fisheries and Agriculture John Efford has been named the leader of the Newfoundland Liberal Party, and is set to be sworn in as the province’s eighth premier.

While Efford’s top opponent, Minister of Health and Community Services Roger Grimes led on the first ballot, the endorsement of a third candidate, Minister of Mines and Energy Paul Dicks following his first ballot elimination was enough to give Efford a narrow, four vote victory over Grimes.

In his victory speech, Efford thanked Grimes and Dicks “for being some tough competition,” and said he hoped they would stay on as part of his team. Efford also thanked incumbent Premier Beaton Tulk and former Premier Brian Tobin, whose surprise resignation in September resulted in the leadership becoming open in the first place.

It is expected that Efford will be sworn in as Premier within two weeks. Speaking to reporters, Tulk said that he would leave the date up to Efford, though anticipated that it would be sooner rather than later.

Efford denied rumours that the province would soon be heading to the polls, saying that he will not subject the province to its fourth election in eight years.

In a statement, Progressive Conservative leader Ed Byrne congratulated Efford on his win, though added that he’s “skeptical [Efford] can provide the province with the leadership it needs.”

Svend Robinson first candidate in NDP leadership race
Left-wing MP receives prominent endorsements
CBC News Posted: Mar 2, 2001 12:22 PM | Last Updated: Mar 2, 2001 12:22 PM

XV528_JackLayton-SvendRobinson_1995.jpg

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Svend Robinson (right) speaking with Toronto city councillor Jack Layton, who endorsed him for NDP [FONT=&quot]leader [/FONT]earlier today[/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot](CP)[/FONT][/FONT]

A day after nominations officially opened, Burnaby—Douglas MP Svend Robinson has become the first candidate in the NDP leadership race scheduled for August 4.

Robinson made the announcement accompanied by a high-profile group of endorsements, including Toronto city councillor Jack Layton and Vancouver MP Libby Davies.

Layton, who himself had been rumoured as a potential candidate, said that Robinson “represents the true principles of our party,” and was committed to social justice and equality, statements echoed by Davies.

Robinson, a vocal member of the party’s left-wing, came in first in the 1995 leadership race, but withdrew in favour of Alexa McDonough prior to the second ballot, winning friends in the centre of the party as a result. However, he is still likely to face a tough challenge, as his occasionally controversial views have often been different from most of his fellow party members.

Other candidates expected to launch their campaigns in the coming weeks are Saskatchewan MP Lorne Nystrom and Manitoba MP Bill Blaikie. Nystrom, who also ran in 1995, represents the right-wing of the party, while Blaikie falls in between the two, leading some to consider him the front-runner for the race.​

The recent surge in Canadian Politics here means I must try to get excited enough about Michael Ignatieff to finish my TL about him....

Glad to see this TL continue forward! :)

The recent surge in Canadian Politics here means I must try to get excited enough about Michael Ignatieff to finish my TL about him....

Glad to see this TL continue forward! :)

Well, you really have yourself to thank, since I probably would've continued to neglect this if you hadn't bumped it.