Carter Re-elected

wkwillis, none of that is correct.

The KGB launched an operation to murder the US ambassador, one of the very few Americans informed about Afghanistan.

There was no provocation of the Soviets. In fact, the Soviets had already seized several key points in the country with a limited invasion well before the main event and openly formed a 'government in exile', and one of the first things the Soviets did was attack the presidential palace and kill everyone inside.

Grimm Reaper said:
wkwillis, none of that is correct.

The KGB launched an operation to murder the US ambassador, one of the very few Americans informed about Afghanistan.

There was no provocation of the Soviets. In fact, the Soviets had already seized several key points in the country with a limited invasion well before the main event and openly formed a 'government in exile', and one of the first things the Soviets did was attack the presidential palace and kill everyone inside.
Well, I guess that Newsweek and all the other American magazines simultaneously by an amazing coincidence misprinted the American government's complaints about the Afghan police raid to liberate the American ambassador. Or you could be remembering incorrectly. Could happen.
By the way, does anybody here remember what the two main factions of the pre Soviet invasion Afghan communist party were, and why they hated each other? Parcham vs Khalq or something.
Sometimes you might try writing down what you remember from the news of 25 years ago, and then going back and finding out what really happened. It can be an educational experience.

Grimm Reaper said:
Or it could be that we later learned who was behind the whole affair.
I wonder when the US government will tell us all about that, instead of just you? Seriously. I would like to know. They are releasing lots of stuff now that it no longer matters.