Camelot Endures: An Alternative Look at the 1960s and Beyond

Introduction
Introduction

Hey everyone! I’m a big fan of this site and have been a long-time observer.

I’ve wanted to do a timeline for quite some time. I’ve finally decided to take a crack at it and hope for the best!

Before I begin, a little about me. I am a third-year university student and long-time philomath of history. I have a keen interest in the Progressive Era, second only to my fascination with the Cold War and its impacts on U.S. society. As a lover of alternative history, it has been a favorite pastime of mine to pinpoint how different our world would be if one event changed.

One of my favorite thought experiments is how different the world may have been if John F. Kennedy had not had his life taken so tragically early. To some, he is labeled as one of the greatest presidents the world has seen. To those, like myself, born after 2000, he is seen more as a cultural figure than a politician.

Picture of John F. Kennedy

I have seen many timelines, such as Blue Skies in Camelot (of which I am a great fan), which are often love letters to the 35th president of the United States. I’ve also seen others that lead to destruction and chaos. I have always wanted to see a more evenhanded approach.

Our POD for this scenario will be Robert McNamara turning down the position of Secretary of Defense, leading to a more aggressive approach in courting Robert A. Lovett.

Before we embark on this journey, I would like to say a few things:
  1. This site’s success would not be possible without the support of its readers. I would love feedback as long as the discourse remains civil and polite! Please feel free to PM me with ideas so we can discuss the possibility of integrating it! This especially goes for the areas of global affairs, pop culture, and sports.
  2. Any similarities found in this timeline to others are a complete accident. In my outlines for this timeline, I have tried to be creative and original while presenting my ideas. But, as Mark Twain said, “there is no such thing as a new idea.”
  3. This timeline, until finished, will remain a work in progress. Keeping this in mind, I may change the format or revise content in ways that will best add to the overall story experience.
  4. I would like for this timeline to remain grounded and realistic. With that said, I do intend to take some creative liberties to keep the timeline fresh and interesting.
I hope you all enjoy the journey into what could have been! Without further ado...

Camelot Endures: An Alternative Look at the 1960s and Beyond

Chapter One - The Best and the Brightest of Camelot
Camelot Endures: An Alternative Look at the 60s and Beyond
November 1960 - January 19th, 1961

"I want to repeat through this wire congratulations and best wishes I extended to you on television Tuesday night. I know you will have the united support of all Americans as you lead the nation in the cause of peace and freedom in the next four years."
“I didn’t think he had it in him,” Bobby remarked to his brother. “Congratulations, Mr. President-Elect.”

Jack Kennedy held the telegram from Vice President Nixon. All the months of campaigning, hard work, and years of planning by his father had finally paid off. There would be a Kennedy in the White House. He responded, “this isn’t going to be easy. You know that, right?”

“Of course not. But we’re Kennedys. We always find a way to pull through.”

God, I hope so. He thought. “Looks like I have a victory speech to give,” John said reassuringly.

Image of JFK, Jackie Kennedy, and others.

President-Elect Kennedy before giving his victory speech. November 9th, 1960
Only time would tell if the Kennedys would indeed pull through. But first, he had to get to work staffing his new administration.

The President-Elect’s top priority was to get his national security team assembled. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, played an instrumental role in the campaign and the transition. His influence was seen in many picks.

The patriarch of the Kennedy family had spent years waiting for this moment. He wasn’t going to let it go to waste.

He implored his son to offer Robert A. Lovett, the former Secretary of Defense in the Truman Administration, any job he might desire. The two men had served together on the President’s Board of Consultants. Joseph knew an elder statesman would help create an aura of legitimacy for his son’s administration.

Lovett graciously refused the offer, citing health issues. However, he provided a list of potential candidates he saw as suitable for an appointment that included:
  • Dean Rusk for Secretary of State
  • Robert McNamara for Secretary of Defense
  • C. Douglas Dillion for Secretary of Treasury

Kennedy obliged and nominated Dillion to the position of Treasury Secretary, seeing a golden opportunity to name a Republican to a high-level position. He hoped this would earn some good graces with Congress.

McNamara proved much more difficult to convince. Known as one of the “Whiz Kids,” he had just recently become the president of the Ford Motor Company. After a lengthy interview with Jack and Bobby Kennedy, he turned the position down. The Ford President cited a lack of knowledge in government, his $3,000,000 salary, and felt he still had more to accomplish at Ford.

After consulting Lovett again, Kennedy nominated Paul Nitze for Secretary of Defense. As a State Department official from the Roosevelt and Truman administrations, he proved to be an experienced and non-controversial pick.

Rusk, while experienced, was viewed by many in the Kennedy inner circle to be incompetent. Ted Sorensen, a longtime aide, and friend to the Kennedy family saw this as an opportunity.

“Mr. President-Elect, I believe I have a solution that may benefit your administration.”

“What is it, Ted?” Kennedy asked, rubbing his hands to his temple. He hadn’t even stepped foot into the Oval Office yet, but the stress of the presidency was beginning to weigh down on him.

“We want to have an experienced and reputable name. But what if we could get two?” Stevenson asked.

“How the hell would we do that? I can’t even get one to agree! If you’re not going to take this seriously, then you can leave for the day, Ted.” The President-Elect pointed at the door.

“Look, Adlai Stevenson is rather prissy. But we need him to get the progressives in ‘64. He also brings that credibility we need. Offer him U.N. Ambassador over Secretary of State. It makes us look serious to the rest of the world, we keep progressives happy, and it keeps State open,” he looked as though a lightbulb had come on. “Put Rusk in the number two spot at State to make Secretary Lovett happy. It’ll make him feel heard and seen even more.”

“So who do we put in at the number one spot?” Jack asked while raising an eyebrow.

“McGeorge Bundy. His dad and Lovett had a solid working relationship. He’s young, talented, qualified, and was a friend to the campaign.”

“But who’s our second name?”

“We tried offering Secretary Lovett Defense and State. It’s very reasonable that his health issues could prevent him from assuming those roles. What about National Security Advisor? It’s a less stressful job. We can let him pick his staff. And we’ve shown him that we value his opinion.”

The President-Elect pondered for a moment before replying, “it’s bold, but I like it.”

And so did Robert Lovett. He agreed to come on to help the young leader steer his ship through a tumultuous sea.

The pick for Attorney General proved to be quite controversial. Kennedy nominated his younger brother, Robert Kennedy. He had no experience in any state or federal court. The President-Elect joked in public, “I can't see that it's wrong to give him a little legal experience before he goes out to practice law.”

In private, Jack did not want to name his brother for the post, but his father overruled him.

The other appointments proved to be non-controversial for the most part. Stewart Udall would lead the Interior Department, while Orville Freeman would lead Agriculture. The Governor of North Carolina, Luther H. Hodges, was chosen to lead Commerce. Labor lawyer Arthur Goldberg was tapped for Secretary of Labor. Finally, Connecticut Governor Abraham Ribicoff was brought in to lead Health, Education, and Welfare.

Kennedy brought in his inner circle to staff the West Wing. Ted Sorenson would serve as Counselor to the President. Pierre Salinger was hired as Press Secretary. Finally, Larry O’Brien was to serve as a special advisor, and Kenneth O’Donnell would serve as Appointments Secretary. They, essentially, would be splitting the role of Chief of Staff.

Only one position remained: Postmaster General. Bobby Kennedy pushed his brother to select a black man for the position. He explained that this would serve as an example that Kennedy remained serious about providing opportunities for the Black community. There were initial reservations, but they finally found the right candidate.

download-2.jpg

55th United States Postmaster General William L. Dawson

William L. Dawson was a World War I veteran serving as a Congressman from Illinois since 1943. He was active in the civil rights movement and served as a mentor for many black men in politics. He was also closely aligned with the Democratic political machine in Chicago. This helped Kennedy on two fronts.

Dawson initially refused, citing that he felt he could accomplish more in the House. Kennedy, however, was able to talk him into the role after personally meeting with the Congressman. If approved by the Senate, Dawson would serve as the first black man to serve in a cabinet position.

There would be some challenges in getting certain appointments through. The President-Elect knew he had to make a trip to Texas.

The Vice President-Elect, Lyndon B. Johnson, and Kennedy had an icy personal relationship. But Johnson knew Congress in ways he didn’t. Johnson assured him that he would see to it that they would get through the Senate, so long as he had a seat at the table.

With his cabinet assembled, it was time to focus on the inauguration.

November 1960 - January 19th, 1961

"I want to repeat through this wire congratulations and best wishes I extended to you on television Tuesday night. I know you will have the united support of all Americans as you lead the nation in the cause of peace and freedom in the next four years."
“I didn’t think he had it in him,” Bobby remarked to his brother. “Congratulations, Mr. President-Elect.”

Jack Kennedy held the telegram from Vice President Nixon. All the months of campaigning, hard work, and years of planning by his father had finally paid off. There would be a Kennedy in the White House. He responded, “this isn’t going to be easy. You know that, right?”

“Of course not. But we’re Kennedys. We always find a way to pull through.”

God, I hope so. He thought. “Looks like I have a victory speech to give,” John said reassuringly.

View attachment 754945
President-Elect Kennedy before giving his victory speech. November 9th, 1960
Only time would tell if the Kennedys would indeed pull through. But first, he had to get to work staffing his new administration.

The President-Elect’s top priority was to get his national security team assembled. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, played an instrumental role in the campaign and the transition. His influence was seen in many picks.

The patriarch of the Kennedy family had spent years waiting for this moment. He wasn’t going to let it go to waste.

He implored his son to offer Robert A. Lovett, the former Secretary of Defense in the Truman Administration, any job he might desire. The two men had served together on the President’s Board of Consultants. Joseph knew an elder statesman would help create an aura of legitimacy for his son’s administration.

Lovett graciously refused the offer, citing health issues. However, he provided a list of potential candidates he saw as suitable for an appointment that included:
  • Dean Rusk for Secretary of State
  • Robert McNamara for Secretary of Defense
  • C. Douglas Dillion for Secretary of Treasury

Kennedy obliged and nominated Dillion to the position of Treasury Secretary, seeing a golden opportunity to name a Republican to a high-level position. He hoped this would earn some good graces with Congress.

McNamara proved much more difficult to convince. Known as one of the “Whiz Kids,” he had just recently become the president of the Ford Motor Company. After a lengthy interview with Jack and Bobby Kennedy, he turned the position down. The Ford President cited a lack of knowledge in government, his $3,000,000 salary, and felt he still had more to accomplish at Ford.

After consulting Lovett again, Kennedy nominated Paul Nitze for Secretary of Defense. As a State Department official from the Roosevelt and Truman administrations, he proved to be an experienced and non-controversial pick.

Rusk, while experienced, was viewed by many in the Kennedy inner circle to be incompetent. Ted Sorensen, a longtime aide, and friend to the Kennedy family saw this as an opportunity.

“Mr. President-Elect, I believe I have a solution that may benefit your administration.”

“What is it, Ted?” Kennedy asked, rubbing his hands to his temple. He hadn’t even stepped foot into the Oval Office yet, but the stress of the presidency was beginning to weigh down on him.

“We want to have an experienced and reputable name. But what if we could get two?” Stevenson asked.

“How the hell would we do that? I can’t even get one to agree! If you’re not going to take this seriously, then you can leave for the day, Ted.” The President-Elect pointed at the door.

“Look, Adlai Stevenson is rather prissy. But we need him to get the progressives in ‘64. He also brings that credibility we need. Offer him U.N. Ambassador over Secretary of State. It makes us look serious to the rest of the world, we keep progressives happy, and it keeps State open,” he looked as though a lightbulb had come on. “Put Rusk in the number two spot at State to make Secretary Lovett happy. It’ll make him feel heard and seen even more.”

“So who do we put in at the number one spot?” Jack asked while raising an eyebrow.

“McGeorge Bundy. His dad and Lovett had a solid working relationship. He’s young, talented, qualified, and was a friend to the campaign.”

“But who’s our second name?”

“We tried offering Secretary Lovett Defense and State. It’s very reasonable that his health issues could prevent him from assuming those roles. What about National Security Advisor? It’s a less stressful job. We can let him pick his staff. And we’ve shown him that we value his opinion.”

The President-Elect pondered for a moment before replying, “it’s bold, but I like it.”

And so did Robert Lovett. He agreed to come on to help the young leader steer his ship through a tumultuous sea.

The pick for Attorney General proved to be quite controversial. Kennedy nominated his younger brother, Robert Kennedy. He had no experience in any state or federal court. The President-Elect joked in public, “I can't see that it's wrong to give him a little legal experience before he goes out to practice law.”

In private, Jack did not want to name his brother for the post, but his father overruled him.

The other appointments proved to be non-controversial for the most part. Stewart Udall would lead the Interior Department, while Orville Freeman would lead Agriculture. The Governor of North Carolina, Luther H. Hodges, was chosen to lead Commerce. Labor lawyer Arthur Goldberg was tapped for Secretary of Labor. Finally, Connecticut Governor Abraham Ribicoff was brought in to lead Health, Education, and Welfare.

Kennedy brought in his inner circle to staff the West Wing. Ted Sorenson would serve as Counselor to the President. Pierre Salinger was hired as Press Secretary. Finally, Larry O’Brien was to serve as a special advisor, and Kenneth O’Donnell would serve as Appointments Secretary. They, essentially, would be splitting the role of Chief of Staff.

Only one position remained: Postmaster General. Bobby Kennedy pushed his brother to select a black man for the position. He explained that this would serve as an example that Kennedy remained serious about providing opportunities for the Black community. There were initial reservations, but they finally found the right candidate.

View attachment 754951
55th United States Postmaster General William L. Dawson

William L. Dawson was a World War I veteran serving as a Congressman from Illinois since 1943. He was active in the civil rights movement and served as a mentor for many black men in politics. He was also closely aligned with the Democratic political machine in Chicago. This helped Kennedy on two fronts.

Dawson initially refused, citing that he felt he could accomplish more in the House. Kennedy, however, was able to talk him into the role after personally meeting with the Congressman. If approved by the Senate, Dawson would serve as the first black man to serve in a cabinet position.

There would be some challenges in getting certain appointments through. The President-Elect knew he had to make a trip to Texas.

The Vice President-Elect, Lyndon B. Johnson, and Kennedy had an icy personal relationship. But Johnson knew Congress in ways he didn’t. Johnson assured him that he would see to it that they would get through the Senate, so long as he had a seat at the table.

With his cabinet assembled, it was time to focus on the inauguration.

Very interesting start I can't wait to see where you take this. Also I'm also making a timeline about an alternate 1960s though this one is different than yours give it a look if you want I would love some opinions on it so far.

Very interesting start I can't wait to see where you take this. Also I'm also making a timeline about an alternate 1960s though this one is different than yours give it a look if you want I would love some opinions on it so far.
Just gave it a look. I can't wait to see where you take it! I'm also a big fan of Mr. Beat, so I am interested in seeing how his videos will change accordingly with your timeline.

I hope this doesn't go to the generic route of met Kennedy fics go where LBJ gets conveniently kicked off the 64 ticket, JFK seems to handle Vietnam as if he had foresight and RFK all of a sudden gains huge ambition to run for president later.

I hope this doesn't go to the generic route of met Kennedy fics go where LBJ gets conveniently kicked off the 64 ticket, JFK seems to handle Vietnam as if he had foresight and RFK all of a sudden gains huge ambition to run for president later.
Thanks for your feedback! I don't want to comment and give too much away. I plan on addressing each point when we reach them on the timeline. I will say that I hope, in time, you'll find my take to be different than what has been put out thus far.

Chapter Two - The Inauguration of John F. Kennedy
January 20th, 1961

Not even a winter storm could prevent the Inauguration from taking place. Despite the cold temperatures and several inches of snow, thousands from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Boy Scouts of America banded together to help clear the parade route.

At 12:51 pm, Chief Justice Earl Warren administered the oath of office to Kennedy.

JFK swearing in.

Inauguration of John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the United States. January 20th, 1961
I, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, do solemnly swear, that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God
With that, John Fitzgerald Kennedy officially became the 35th President of the United States.

The 1366-word speech was the first to be delivered to a television audience in color and was well received by the public. Kennedy pledged to help other nations pursue democratic ideals and defend themselves against insurrections of tyranny. He promised that the United States would act in good faith internationally and hoped that other nations would join him in his goal to end disease and poverty.

Kennedy would describe the modern era as an opportunity to end suffering, yet had the risk of self-destruction. He stated, "neither can two great and powerful groups of nations take comfort from our present course—both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons."

He also wished for the opportunity to begin anew with Russia, presenting a vision where instead of competition, the two could work together to benefit the world.

Kennedy then turned his attention to the United States citizens themselves while returning from his long-term vision to the present moment. He asked the citizens of the United States to do their part to help his vision become reality.

He emphasized that the United States can be a leader in demonstrating to the world that the true enemies are "the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself." He carried this sentiment imploring every citizen to take on the responsibility for improving the country and the world.

JFK giving his Inaugural Address.

John F. Kennedy giving his Inaugural Address. January 20th, 1961
Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans—born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage—and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country

The incoming president certainly has many challenges ahead of him. The Cold War has seen heightening tensions between the Space Race and atomic weapons. Diplomatic ties with Cuba were severed by President Eisenhower on his way out. The growing civil rights movement divided the United States.

Will this be a time for greatness? Only time will tell how successful the Kennedy Administration will be in handling the problems of the 60s. One thing is certain, there is a fresh face in the White House.

The Kennedy Administration (as of 1961)
Vice President: LBJ
Secretary of State: McGeorge Bundy
Secretary of the Treasury: C. Douglas Dillion
Secretary of the Defense: Paul Nitze
Attorney General: Robert F. Kennedy
Postmaster General: William L. Dawson
Secretary of the Interior: Stewart Udall
Secretary of Agriculture: Orville Freeman
Secretary of Commerce: Luther H. Hodges
Secretary of Labor: Arthur Goldberg
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: Abraham Ribicoff
United States Ambassador to the United Nations - Adlai Stevenson II
National Security Advisor - Robert A. Lovett
De Facto Chief of Staff - Larry O’Brien
Appointments Secretary - Kenneth O’Donnell
Counselor to the President - Ted Sorensen
Press Secretary - Pierre Salinger​

Chapter Three - The First 100 Days of President Kennedy
Chapter Three - The First 100 Days of President Kennedy
January - April

Following the festivities of his Inauguration, President Kennedy immediately got to work pushing his New Frontier Agenda.

On January 21st, former President Herbert Hoover called Kennedy to express his regret over his inability to attend the Inauguration. He wished him the best of luck, offering to provide advice and guidance as needed. He ended the phone call, however, requesting to work with the administration on the potential domestic expansion of the Peace Corps.

Hoover had assisted in the foundation of the Boys Clubs of America in 1940. He saw the success of the program and believed that expansions could bolster President Kennedy’s ideals of public service.

On January 25th, Kennedy held his first-ever live press conference. He used the occasion to announce the release of two surviving USAF crew members who had been held prisoner by the Soviet Union after being captured when their RB-47 Stratojet was shot down on July 1st, 1960.

On January 30th, President Kennedy delivered his first State of the Union address. He asked Congress to increase unemployment benefits and offer tax incentives to businesses to spur the sluggish economy that was inherited. He also discussed the spread of communism among developing nations and called for expanding economic aid to those countries and increasing U.S. military strength.

On February 1st, Kennedy held his second-ever news conference in which he announced the creation of five pilot food stamp distribution projects

On March 1st, President Kennedy signed an Executive Order temporarily establishing the Peace Corps, led by his brother-in-law Sargent Shriver. He sent a request to Congress requesting to keep it permanently.

On March 24th, Kennedy signed a commission restoring the five-star rank general of the army position to former President Eisenhower.

By the end of March, he had seen some of his policy proposals land on his desk:
  • The addition of a temporary supplement to unemployment benefits.
  • The extension of aid to the children of unemployed workers.
  • The redevelopment of distressed areas.
  • An increase in Social Security payments and the encouragement of earlier retirement.
  • An increase in the minimum wage.
  • Emergency relief to feed grain farmers.
  • The financing of a comprehensive home building and slum clearance program.
However, he had sent 28 messages to Congress from January 25th to April 27th. These messages covered the president’s ideas for programs to address the recession, decrease unemployment, allow more citizens access to adequate housing, and improve America's education system. Progress in these areas stalled.

The president’s main legislative piece for his first 100 days, the Omnibus Housing Bill of 1961, was a victim of this. The bill was an ambitious housing program to spur the economy, revitalize cities, and provide affordable housing for middle- and low-income families. If Kennedy was going to leave a mark on history, this was going to be the place to start. He arranged a meeting at the end of March with his Vice President to see what could be done.
Photo of LBJ

Lyndon Baines Johnson, the 37th Vice President of the United States

Lyndon Baines Johnson was chosen, in part, because of his expertise in Congress. He was famous for giving the "Johnson Treatment."

LBJ used his combination of knowledge, charm, persuasion, and intimidation to his advantage. He was highly skilled at figuring out people's insecurities and warming up his way into their confidence. As a negotiator, there were few better at wheeling and dealing. He always knew how to give just the right amount of concessions to get what he wanted. He was a persistent and unrelenting dealmaker with a deep knowledge of the law. If that didn't work, he'd simply use his physical stature to intimidate those into doing what he wanted.

“This is killing me,” the president expressed frustratingly. “It’s almost the end of my hundred days, and I have little to show the American people.”

“I understand your frustration, Mr. President. But my hands are tied on this one” Johnson shrugged.

“Lyndon, I picked you because of your expertise in Congress. What can I do to help you untie them?” Kennedy asked.

The Vice President thought for a moment before he answered. “A seat at the table.”

“What? I already made you Vice President of the United States, damn it! What more of a seat could you want?” Jack threw his hands in the hair with exasperation in his voice.

Johnson rose from his chair and, standing at 6 feet and 4 inches, towered over the resolute desk. He looked Kennedy in the eyes before calmly responding with a single word, “yours.”

“Excuse me?” Kennedy responded, rising to his feet.

“I’m laying my ambitions out to you. It is my goal to end up in your chair. Now I can wait until ‘68, and I plan to. But will you make it that long? You barely won the election against Nixon, the South is only going to heat up, and you don’t have much to show for anything yet. And you won’t if things keep progressing the way they are. The way I see it, Mr. President, we may not like each other. But we need each other.”

“How do you mean?” The President asked while raising an eyebrow.

The Vice President laid out his plan. “I have relationships with a lot of those men in the chambers. I’m willing to do a little arm twistin’ for your agenda. But I want something in return. Every bill signing, I want you to be pictured front and center with a big smile. Hell, have your brother there for all I give a damn. But right over your shoulder, with just as big a smile, is me. Every speech you give afterward, you make sure to slide a remark in there thanking me for all my help in steering it through Congress. I want your office and my office to work together on implementing some of my ideas for a war on poverty. Most importantly, I want your support for ‘68. We can hate each other’s guts. But as far as the public knows, we’re the best of friends. And I have a very visible role in all of this,” Johnson pointed around the room.

Kennedy laughed. “Why the hell would I agree to any of this”

“Because without me, you’ll be a one-term President who couldn’t get anything notable done. Now with me, I’ll make sure you go down as the next FDR. So what do you say, Mr. President?” Johnson extended his hand with a smile.

Kennedy thought for what felt like an eternity before reluctantly shaking his hand. “You’ve got yourself a deal. Don’t make me regret this, Lyndon.”

“I would never,” Johnson responded with a chuckle as he made his way out.

“The two enemies would agree to work together as a means for their ambitions, not knowing that each other had backup plans in place.” - The Pathway to Power by Robert Caro.

Johnson delivered on his promise, and by Kennedy’s 100th day, the bill was on his desk.

The Omnibus Housing Bill of 1961 accomplished large parts of Kennedy’s agenda:
  • The bill spent $3.19 billion in total.
  • 100,000 public housing units were to be constructed, but an emphasis was placed on improving the existing housing supply.
  • Urban renewal grants increased to $4,000,000.
  • Funds for housing for the elderly increased.
  • Established loans for low-rent apartment projects that were "designed to meet the needs of people age 62 and over.”
  • Made nonfarm rural residents eligible for direct housing loans from the Farmers Home Administration. Extended the housing program to towns with a population of up to 2,500.
  • Technical assistance to state and local governments was to be provided for coordinated community development planning.
One of the most notable accomplishments of the bill was one that Kennedy had pushed hard for: creating a cabinet-level department to oversee the programs and initiatives. This bill authorized the creation of the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

HUD Logo

Logo for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

HUD, as it would be nicknamed, was to be created no later than 60 days after the signing of the bill. President Kennedy was in a meeting discussing potential candidates to lead the department when the news was brought to his attention…the Soviets launched the first man into outer space.

Coming up on Camelot Endures: The Space Race & the Kennedy's influence on the White House.

As an LBJ fan I'm totally biased but I loved this chapter lol. Honestly if I woke up as Kennedy after getting elected I would have proposed this deal before my hundred days even started. Honestly it's a travesty that they didn't work together more while Kennedy was in office. Don't get me wrong I understand why there was a tremendous amount of distrust from both sides but for the greater good I wish they swallowed their pride and egos.

As an LBJ fan I'm totally biased but I loved this chapter lol. Honestly if I woke up as Kennedy after getting elected I would have proposed this deal before my hundred days even started. Honestly it's a travesty that they didn't work together more while Kennedy was in office. Don't get me wrong I understand why there was a tremendous amount of distrust from both sides but for the greater good I wish they swallowed their pride and egos.
I couldn't agree with you more!

Chapter Four- Space and the Kennedys
April - May

The United States and the Soviet Union were racing to get the first man in space. The race was neck and neck until April 12th, 1961. The Soviets were prepared to launch Yuri Gagarin.

Photo of Yuri Gagarin

Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space.
At 6:07 AM, the Vostok 1 spacecraft launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome. The radio communication between the launch control room and Gagarin captured the following during the launch:
Korolev: Preliminary stage…intermediate…main…LIFT-OFF! We wish you a good flight. Everything’s all right.
Gagarin: Off we go! Goodbye, until [we meet] soon, dear friends.

Half of the work was done. Now the room was filled with anxiety until, 108 minutes after the upper stage separated from the spacecraft, Gagarin was safely returned to Earth.

The news was great for mankind, but a major blow for America and the Kennedy Administration.

President Kennedy was in the middle of a meeting discussing potential HUD Secretary appointments when he heard the news.

“Are you kidding me?” he sighed. “We were so close. That Shepard kid was so close.”

“I know that this is a big blow, Mr. President. But we can’t lose our cool now. I’ll draft up some remarks, and we’ll come up with a plan to fire back,” Ted Sorenson said reassuringly.

“No more half-measures, Ted. It’s all or nothing now,” the President said while staring out a window in the Oval Office.

No more half-measures, he thought.

Photo of Alan Shepard

Alan Shepard, the first American in space.
Alan Shepard, the American pick to be the first man in space, was scheduled to take flight next month as part of the Freedom 7. He was so furious upon hearing the news of Gagarin that fellow astronaut John Glenn thought he broke his hand from punching it on a table.

However, on May 5th, 1961, Shepard became the first American and second person to travel into space. He was celebrated as a national hero upon his return and honored with ticker-tape parades in Washington, New York, and Los Angeles. He also received the NASA Distinguished Medal of Service from President Kennedy.

The Vice President had a different reaction to the news of Gagarin. Instead of admitting defeat, he saw this as an opportunity.

Johnson had led the charge on space exploration for years before assuming his current office. When the Soviets launched Sputnik, he seized on the issue. The then-Senate Majority Leader was working the phones, talking to aides, and working out plans for an investigation into the U.S. program.

In January of 1958, Johnson issued a seventeen-point plan to win the “race for survival.” One of the points was to create a new civilian agency responsible for space exploration. Eventually, Eisenhower wore down, and NASA was created.

Until April 12nd, 1961, Kennedy showed little interest in space. He demanded his staff come up with a measure that would allow them to catch up with the Soviets in the eyes of the world. The Vice President made a bold suggestion - a manned lunar mission.

He sent The President a memo to serve as an evaluation of the space program. It was not that, however, and served as advocacy for Kennedy to take “aggressive” action. Johnson theorized that other countries pick the winner in the long run regardless of what is going on in the present moment. At the time, “dramatic accomplishments in space” set the bar.

Johnson used his position and influence as Chairman of the National Aeronautics and Space Council, a White House advisory group, to dominate Washington’s space activities.

On May 25th, 1961, President Kennedy laid out his plan to Congress and the American people.

JFK-Congress-Moon-speech-e7f1c25.jpg

President Kennedy addressing Congress. May 25th, 1961

First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before the decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish.
Only time will tell how successful the Kennedy Administration will be on this goal. For now, the President needed to look forward to his first few trips abroad next month. Including a date in Vienna with the Soviets.

Coming up on Camelot Endures: President Kennedy travels abroad.

Last edited:
April - May

<snip>​

Bummer that Sheppard does not go up first as a 'departure' as it would have saved Kennedy from having to declare the Lunar goal. (Really he only option otherwise since it was agreed by everyone that it was the only plausible goal that would start the US and USSR essentially on the same level...Though without McNamara on-board there will be fewer discussions on how even that wasn't a "big" enough goal to shoot for :) )

Randy

Chapter Five - The Statesman
Chapter Five - The Statesman
May - June

June was going to have a busy start to the month for the Kennedy Administration. President Kennedy had several international trips planned and hoped to get a nominee put before the Senate for the new HUD Director.

An exhaustive search was conducted to nominate the right candidate. Kennedy wanted someone agreeable to his policies that he could trust to carry out his vision. Someone that he wouldn’t have to watch over and micromanage. The initial idea was to appoint a black man to the post. He was talked out of the idea due to already appointing William L. Dawson as Postmaster General. The move was viewed as too risky.

Kennedy then turned to whatever friends he had that were not already in the administration. One man saw this as an opportunity to revive his political career.

Photo of FDR Jr.

1st Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr.

Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr. was the son of the 32nd President of the United States. He alternated between serving in the Navy, working as a lawyer, and being elected as a U.S. Representative from New York’s 20th district.

Roosevelt upset many in the establishment. Upon being elected to Congress, Speaker Rayburn told his brother James to “not waste our time your like brother did.” He had a reputation for coasting through his jobs and only trying to ascend to a higher position. He also had very poor attendance while in office.

FDR Jr. saw his career end when he lost the New York State Attorney General election to Jacob Javits. Despite this, he proved to be a valuable asset to Kennedy’s 1960 campaign. The Roosevelt and Kennedy families had a long history. Due to their friendship, he campaigned in West Virginia for Jack during the primary.

His career was on life support, and he knew time was running out. If this opportunity passed, he may never have another shot again.

Accompanied by his mother, Eleanor, they met with Kennedy and his inner circle, hoping to cash in a favor. The president was reluctant at first, citing Roosevelt’s past. After strong insistence from them both that he was a changed man, Kennedy agreed to help his friend.

The nomination was put forward days before President Kennedy’s first trip abroad.

The first trip would see him visit Canada on May 28th and 29th. He would meet with Governor General Georges Vanier and Prime Minister John Diefenbaker in Ottawa.

He’d return to the United States only to embark on a multi-day journey across Europe. He would leave on May 31st and stay in France until June 2nd. There he would meet with President Charles De Gaulle in Paris.

Then, on June 3rd, he would embark on one of the most important trips of his presidency thus far. He arrived in Vienna and began to prepare for what would be known as the Vienna summit.

JFK and Khrushchev talking.

Kennedy and Khrushchev talking during the Vienna summit. June 4th, 1961

Kennedy would be meeting with the leader of the Soviet Union, Nikita Khrushchev. The goal was to begin dialogues on solutions to the situation in Laos and the Berlin Crisis. The two leaders had been exchanging formalities for quite some time, and now was the time to put their words into action.

Khrushchev privately thought that, due to the president’s youth, he could take advantage and get him to make concessions. Kennedy felt that if he could meet with the Russian in person, he would see his way.

The two leaders were able to agree on the situation in Laos. They both informally agreed to support a neutral government and leave Laos to fight on their own. The two countries did not want to fight a proxy war there.

Berlin proved much more divisive.

The Soviets asked for the US to remove their troops from West Berlin and proposed a peace treaty supporting the existence of the GDR and FRG.

Khrushchev suggested that America could keep troops there if they were concerned about West Berlin’s freedom. The Soviets would then need to keep troops there as well. If the US failed to agree, the USSR would sign a unilateral peace agreement.

The peace treaty would end the post-war commitments of the four powers in East Germany. This would essentially mean that US, French, and UK occupation rights would become invalid in West Germany, meaning they would no longer have authority there and would need to remove their troops.

Soviet occupation rights in East Germany would also become invalid. However, with East Germany being a satellite state of the Soviet Union, it would still exercise its control there.

The US did not support this peace treaty. They felt that it would lose its influence in West Berlin. The East German government would assume control of Eart Berlin. The US would only be able to control West Berlin with permission.

Khrushchev refused to budge, leading to heated arguments over the two days.

He famously remarked, “If the US wants to start a war over Germany, let it be so.”

No conclusion was reached by the end of the summit leading President Kennedy to remark that it was to be a cold winter.

Kennedy made his final visit to London where he visited with Queen Elizabeth II and Prime Minister Harold Macmillan.

President Kennedy longed to be back in the states after the long, stressful trip. He was beginning to relax on his flight home when Ted Sorenson knocked on his door.

“Come in,” the president said sluggishly.

“I’m sorry to interrupt, Mr. President. There seems to be a situation going on in Cuba.”

Coming up on Camelot Endures: Civil Rights & A change of plans in Cuba.

Last edited:
Interesting choice for HUD. I could Roosevelt using his reinvigorated career as a jumpoint to running for the senate seat RFK won in 1964 ITTL. Also I think Pierre Salinger could keep his senate seat in 64 with JFK's strong backing. Assuming of course that Goldwater is the 1964 candidate

marktaha

Banned
January 20th, 1961

Not even a winter storm could prevent the Inauguration from taking place. Despite the cold temperatures and several inches of snow, thousands from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Boy Scouts of America banded together to help clear the parade route.

At 12:51 pm, Chief Justice Earl Warren administered the oath of office to Kennedy.

View attachment 755053
Inauguration of John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the United States. January 20th, 1961
I, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, do solemnly swear, that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God
With that, John Fitzgerald Kennedy officially became the 35th President of the United States.

The 1366-word speech was the first to be delivered to a television audience in color and was well received by the public. Kennedy pledged to help other nations pursue democratic ideals and defend themselves against insurrections of tyranny. He promised that the United States would act in good faith internationally and hoped that other nations would join him in his goal to end disease and poverty.

Kennedy would describe the modern era as an opportunity to end suffering, yet had the risk of self-destruction. He stated, "neither can two great and powerful groups of nations take comfort from our present course—both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons."

He also wished for the opportunity to begin anew with Russia, presenting a vision where instead of competition, the two could work together to benefit the world.

Kennedy then turned his attention to the United States citizens themselves while returning from his long-term vision to the present moment. He asked the citizens of the United States to do their part to help his vision become reality.

He emphasized that the United States can be a leader in demonstrating to the world that the true enemies are "the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself." He carried this sentiment imploring every citizen to take on the responsibility for improving the country and the world.

View attachment 755056
John F. Kennedy giving his Inaugural Address. January 20th, 1961
Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans—born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage—and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country

The incoming president certainly has many challenges ahead of him. The Cold War has seen heightening tensions between the Space Race and atomic weapons. Diplomatic ties with Cuba were severed by President Eisenhower on his way out. The growing civil rights movement divided the United States.

Will this be a time for greatness? Only time will tell how successful the Kennedy Administration will be in handling the problems of the 60s. One thing is certain, there is a fresh face in the White House.

The Kennedy Administration (as of 1961)
Vice President: LBJ
Secretary of State: McGeorge Bundy
Secretary of the Treasury: C. Douglas Dillion
Secretary of the Defense: Paul Nitze
Attorney General: Robert F. Kennedy
Postmaster General: William L. Dawson
Secretary of the Interior: Stewart Udall
Secretary of Agriculture: Orville Freeman
Secretary of Commerce: Luther H. Hodges
Secretary of Labor: Arthur Goldberg
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: Abraham Ribicoff
United States Ambassador to the United Nations - Adlai Stevenson II
National Security Advisor - Robert A. Lovett
De Facto Chief of Staff - Larry O’Brien
Appointments Secretary - Kenneth O’Donnell
Counselor to the President - Ted Sorensen
Press Secretary - Pierre Salinger​
Was always rather surprised that neither Harriman nor Stevenson was Secretary of State