Caesar Lives!

The Thread is good but is based on...ASB success! The Roman legion,the military formation consisting of medium versatile infantry,flexible enough to outclass heavy cumbersome infantries like the Macedonian one(not the Greek in its peak period as Xanthippos proved in Northern Africa in 255 BC)
used by the diadochoi in Eastern Mediterranean saw the end of its supremacy and its use in the East at Carrae.It was of no importance if the commander was Crassus (an average quantity militarily) or Ceasar.The legion could not curry the day against missile cavalry under any circustances;I read what TaylorS wrote about the legions hugging the hills,descending on the Parthians....there is no way for infantry to descend suddenly on cavalry which,as a standard practice uses thousands of light horse archers for perimetre protection,it is therefore a matter of common sense that infantry could never pursue cavalry or surprise it.Military History has proved the point time and time again,unless the Parthian commander was an idiot(it happened once) to charge Romans uphill and serve them witt an ill-deserved victory.
The only one to clearly defeat the Parthians was the genius of Julian the Great defeated the Parthians(and he was killed),but his impact and missile cavalry was a force to reckon with.Parthians didn't attach great importance to their capital since they had clearly announced that they wouldn't stand to fight,but only "before the Graves of their Ancestors.
Byzantines learned the lesson and organised missile catafracts and both them and the Persians wore out each other to the great benefit of Arabs and Turks.
Ceasar would need a long time to train and climatise such cavalry,but he didn't have time(too old).

Last edited:
Eh, I quite like it. Some ASB aspects are there but the history is simple and clear. I was wondering, would you mind if I took this history, and used it as a basis for an alternative History Age of Empires Campaign? Credit would be given on the Heaven Forums.

I've rather enjoyed this timeline. The key thing to remember is that it is a work of fiction, and consequently your creation. Have fun while doing it too. Sometimes writing a timeline can be burdensome if you second guess yourself too much for fear of it being labelled ASB.

Last edited:
I've rather enjoyed this timeline. The key thing to remember is that it is a work of fiction, and consequently your creation. Have fun while doing it too. Sometimes writing a timeline can be burdensome if you second guess yourself too much for fear of it being labelled ASB.
That is exactly what worries me. Posters in this thread say an earlier Suez canal is ASB, but yet in another timeline the Ottomans are making the canal in the 1500s, and that wasn't called ASB.

I find it surprising that Buddhism never reached western Eurasia, and so I wanted to rectify that in this TL. :D

the main reason for lack of Buddism in Middle East and Europe was:

1. Pathian Empire with a relatively strong Zorocratistic religion

2. Hard to reach by common trading routes

... rebuilding the Nile-Red Sea Canal (even if only Barges which was highly used on the Nile), would help giving a relatively simple sea route and after its been advertised a bit (there was sporatic trading via the red sea around the peninsula allready, mainly with luxury goods such as pearls, spice and Ivory), the trade would surely grow quite a bit, including (via the Indian merchant houses on the Malabar Coast in SW India) silk from China and philosophy, both theological and otherwise.

Sure it'll need some manpower, both to create the canal, and some manpower to keep the access from silting ... then again ... The Roman Legionaries (specially late-republic onwards where it was a semiprofessional army, and not just those that could afford playing military) were used to work on big civic projects while not actively warring so ...