Britannicus Invictus

This is a very good TL! I have only one minor thing to notice, Onagers did not exist in the 1st century AD!

After some further research, i do have to agree with you, the first known use of onagers was in the 3rd or 4th century AD, however their were catapult like artillery at the time, (this is attested to by the fact that in the 2nd punic war at Carthago Nova they Romans captured Catapults) and with no other word i decided to use the name Onager. However looking back at that last chapter i will be changing it to ballistae as those were in much more common use.

Also Thanks, with not much people talking got me wondering, lol. Im glad you are enjoying it.

Chapter 23: Consulship of Crassus
Chapter 23

Consulship of Marcus Licinius Crassus Frugi
64AD, February 7th
Germania

Legatus Titus Flavius Sabinus of the VIII Augusta, son of the two time consul read the report to his Tribunes and senior Centurions.

"The IV legion has fallen." Their was stunned silence. "As have the XXII." One of the tribunes an effeminate youth who had only just joined the legions this winter sucked back a sob. Sabinus sneered, the boy had hoped for an easy posting, he wasnt cut out for the legions. "Quintus Oppius Pius if I hear one more goddam sob from that mouth of yours I will personally strip you of your rank and kick you out that gate, your fsther sent you here to make you a man and by dam you will become one!" One of the other Tribunes, an older man of 19 years old snickers. "Marcus Sergius, if you feel like your a superior man I will let you command from the front rank come this next battle." Sergius a egotistical bastard shut up.

"Now as i was saying, the two legions are destroyed, almost completely that is. 2 cohorts of the IV survived, sent here by their Legate as their fortress fell. His goal was to warn us, as well as provide us with extra men. These rebellious scum have killed two legions. The VIII Augusta a Legion that has held its eagle high since Caesars time will not let this continue shall we!"

"NO SIR!"

"Good. The rebels are only 5 miles away, unlike the other two legions who they took by suprise and treachery at the same time. They know that we are aware of their true nature, and havent hidden their numbers. On their march here their numbers have swelled to almost 45,000 by some estimates. Which means with our Auxillia they outnumber us 4 to one."

The Laticlavian Tribune sucked in his teath. Gnaeus Domitius Lucanus was an experienced tribune and had fought the entirety of the wars in Germania. "Sir how much supplies do we have?"

Sabinus nodded, a grim look on his face "Enough for a week on a quarter ration."

Lucanus nodded. "If we march in the dawn we can reach one of the other legions, the closest would be the XVI or the XV. It would be a tactical withrawl to a better position. However during the march we would have to make sacrifices for the betterment of the legion." As he said this his eyes glances at both Sergius and Oppius.

Suddenly a sound could be heard outside of the tent. Hooves beating on the ground dozens of them. "Halt, who are you? Hey I demanded your name soldier!" There was a loud thud and the sound of a body hit the ground. The Centurions immediately stood uunsheathing their swords, as a Roman Cavalry officer a tribune none the less strided into the tent, only stopping at rhe swords at his throat.

It was evident the man who looked to be a hardened soldier couldnt speak his lips were chapped, bloody and completely dry, his tongue when he opened his mouth was even bloody.

"Get this man a drink."

One of the nearby slaves handed the officer a pitcher of mixed wine and water, which the man chugged, spilling what he couldnt swallow. After several deep ragged breaths another man entered the tent, a cavalry decurion. "Err sorry about your guard the tribune isnt in a easy mood."

Sabinus cracked a grim smiled. Finally the tribune regained his bearing and spoke in wispy dry breath. "Lucius Tullius Crispus, tribune of the XVI. I come to report from Marcus Antonius Primus whose legions are only 3 days away." The Decurion quickly explained for his tribune who evidently severely dehydrated couldnt speak anymore, a deadly tale of them being hunted by a pack of germans and how the tribune had lost his water bags, as well what had happened in the south.

Sabinus nodded, he had to hold 3 days and his legion would be saved.

ROME

Britannicus, Vespasian senior and minor, and Corbulo sat around the table looking at the map of Germania. The initial conversation was around the pregnancy of Britannicus wife and Corbulos daughter for a second time. The first pregnancy had delivered a healthy Boy named Drusus Claudius Germanicus after his famous great grandfather and great uncle.

"Germania has only begun to truly civilize in the last 50 years, it was beginning to gain tribal centers, small towns and oppidum. Most towns consist of a few thousand people at most. Their is alot of infastructure work to be done if we are to civilize the province." Corbulo finished and Vespasian could only nod. "I also was once on the Rhine with a legion. Only the close tribes had lots of settlements past that it was different. The people are warlike and will need to be watched."

Britannicus nodded. "This is all expected. At least they have some settlements. Much of the infastructure and settlements we will have to build. Which is why I propose we dont just bring the Germans into Civilization. We take Civilization to them. Huge colonies all over the province. Building cities on rivers and on any plains, to take advantage of the farmable land. We could harvest enough lumber up in Germania for the the whole of Gaul and the new constructions in the province to last years."

"That would be an expensive undertaking, it would drain the treasury of anything left over from the Parthian conquest, and would hit the reserves that we had before that."

"Vespasianus you are correct. I have done the math. That is why we dont do it all at once. We build like Britannia a few cities and towns that inevitably grow around the legions. Make the germans live in organized settlements, over 10 years allowing us to make a slow investment while ensuring that the germans will be docile."

Both the elder men looked at eachother and then nodded. "Its a smart plan Augustus. This would allow us to keep the rest of the treasury at a safe level while using taxes from these upcoming years and the parthian spoils to fund this colonization."

As the meeting ended, Vespasian and Corbulo walked away together. "Hes proving capable, much more than his father."

"Yes however like his father he has the uncanny ability to jump into a military operation. His father did it to legitimize his rule by the conquest of Britannia. He seems to have the idea that the Conquest of the elusive Germania will legitimize him to the people and senate, even though they loved him for defeating Parthia."

"Yes it very well be his undoing, many of the senate think he jumped into this new conquest to fast, the repercussions coild be large."

"Have you told him?"

Corbulo looked at Vespasianus, "no i havent. We dont know who is russeling the leaves, all we know is that discrete messages are being sent."

Vespasianus shook with anger. "The damn senate a bunch of idiots full of themselves due to their fathers and ancestors achievements."

Corbulo snorted. "Only a homus novo would think like that. However you are right, many think they are competent due to their ancestors achievements. We need to figure out who the figure head of this movement is, cut of the head."

"And the rest dies." Vespasian finished.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Thanks everyone for the support in the turtledove award, and for supporting this timeline as it has continued!

Last edited:
Chapter 24: Consulship of Crassus
Chapter 24

64AD
February 8th, Germania

Gaius Julius Civillus cursed loudly as his men faltered at the walls of the roman fort, and began to route. The dawn attack had failed, albeit after some major success. They had taken the majority of the walls only to be slaughtered in the camp and on the walls before they could open the gates. Since the Romans had taken back the walls his men had been unable to find anything but tempory success and had died by the hundreds for it.

The Bucterian chief beside him, wearing the helmet of the IV legions Legate, a man named Lucius Axius, spoke in a grim tone. "I believe we have finally tasted defeat. The day is lost and with it at least 5,000 of our men. With the Romans coming from the south this rebellion is ov.." The Batavian Prefect beside the man leapt backwards startled as there was a sickening noise beside him and a spray of blood. Civillus sword was embedded in the mans spine, his muscles giving way as his head lolled back at an unnatural angle. As the weight of the body pulled it to the ground and of the edge of Civillus sword, Civillus spoke to the commanders around him in a voice filled with rage.

"This rebellion is still strong! We still have 40,000 men, have we not destroyed 2 legions! As our men fall back you can see the romans are to weak to follow them after a battle, they are starving while our men eat the supplies they should have. By sunset 3 legions will be only 2 days away, our opportunity to kill the romans legion by legion may be over. However their supply lined are weak and these men are starving! With men so weak they will make mistakes. We shall draw them into our grip and shall make Arminius victory seem small in comparison to what we will do!" His commanders and chiefs roared in agreement, for what Civillus said was true, even as the Germans began to pull away from the fort the war was still very much in their favour.

Marcus Vinicius Priscus couldnt keep the memories of the previous weeks out of his mind. Thousands of Legionaries and Auxillia, dead. 2 legions totally anhilated. However this only caused his men to want revenge for their fallen comrades. Even though they were starving they continued to push ahead.

A voice he had grown familiar with since he had become legate spoke beside and below him. His Primus Pilus Publius Vettius Mus who should have been riding a horse as he was privileged to preferred to prove to his men he was still as strong as them marched beside Vinicius horse with ease. "Sir the men dont have much left in them, we need supplies, the last supplies we recieved were when we stopped at the fort of the IV and the supply caught up with us. However that is running low the men are on 1/3 rations."

Vinicius nodded. "I am very much aware of our mens needs Vettius. The supply wagons are at least 3 days behind us, however to stop is to abandon the VIII Augusta to the germans and let them die. We are only 1 day away, imagine how starved those men are, and if they are under siege, starving men will make mistakes, we already have 2 dead legions I will die before I let a third one be slaughtered."

Vettius nodded, the pride of the legions had been shattered in the last few weeks, Vettius knew it would have been even harder for a Patrician whose burden was not only himself but the entire armys. "Aye sir, let us just hope nothing bad happens."

February 9th

The Legion had only been moving for about an hour, and as they came over a bare ridgeline and looked onto the plain below, Priscus who was at the front found himself staring at the entire German army below them.

Several miles away

Sabinus and his legion moved at a slow march as to allow the weak men to keep up, of which all of them were weak after being starved, however they were gaining on the german supply wagons, which were only 2 miles ahead, the german army had placed the supply at its rear and was being slowed down because of it.

Rome

Tiberius Claudius Britannicus Augustus stood in the Julia Curia the senate house. "Senators of Rome, I have a proposal for the Senate and for the Empire. I wish to advance our ability to make Germania into a true province. By starting a Colony program, the movement of tens of thousands of romans into the new province. They will be the beginning of the true occupation and integration of the province into the empire. They will work alongside the legions to build towns and cities, farms, as well as all necessary infrastructure including roads and aqueducts."

Before Britannicus could continue Senator Marcus Marcius Festus jumped from his seat. "Consuls this proposal is outrageous! We have already spent hundreds of thousands of denarii on this rushed war of conquest, and now you want to invest tens of millions! The conquest is not yet complete and you want to risk the lifes of colonists as well, I say we reject this proposal outright!"

Their was an immediate split in the Senate, as Senators began yelling over eachother. Britannicus was shocked by not only the split in the senate but also the outright venom that Festus seemed to have for him. However it didnt stop him from seeing the look that passed between Corbulo and Vespasianus.

Chapter 25: Consulship of Crassus
Chapter 25

64AD
February 9th, Germania

Marcus Ulpius Traianus was slumped over his horse in exhaustion, the afternoon sun was baking the blood that covered him, as it did all of the roman soldiers on the field. He was now the most senior on the field. Marcus Vinicius Priscus was injured having been caught at in the frontlines. It was expected he would live. Trajan had been the general on the field. It would be a day he would never forget. If it hadnt been for the timely arrival of the VIII Augusta and its legate Titus Flavius Sabinus minor, three legions would have been wiped off the field and crushed. As it was the dead was thought to be around 2000 men, and a further 5,000 wounded.

The young Legate of the VIII met him with a salute. Sabinus somehow managed to keep his composier and looked the part of a bloody general. "Sabinus. None of our legions have the strength to follow the remaining rebels. We do however have supplies arriving only a few days from now. We need to send news to the southern legions."

Sabinus nodded, as a Tribunus arrived beside the legates and handed each a waterskin. "Trajan, this is Lucius Tullius Crispus. Tribune to Marcus Antonius Primus who is only a day behind us. Their is news from the south."

In the days that followed the legions of Germania were resupplied and the legions under Primus supplemented by reformed cohorts of the 4 legions that battled the Germans, headed northwest following the Germans under Civillus. Civillus and roughly 12,000 of his warriors survived the battle running to batavian territory. News was also sent to Provincial Governor and General, Gaius Suetonius Paulinus.

February 16th
Paulinus woke up as he had done since birth. However this time like the last few weeks resulted in him grapsing the stump of his arm. Almost all of his forearm was gone. He then rose from his bed and was dressed by his slaves who refused to look at their owners arm, unless they wished to end up as their former freind who had been wipped nearly to death for the same trangression. Paulinus was never a man of mercy. Once dressed he was covered in his armor, and his ornate curiass shimmered in the morning sun. As he exited his tent he was then greeted by the sight of a legate entering his camp.

Within a day news had been sent to rome. Paulinus was on his way north to extend to the rebels a firey grave.

February 28th

Marcus Antonius Primus imformed Paulinus how the campaign had gone so far. There had been a battle early on were Civillus had attempted to split the army on a river crossing hundreds of legionaries had died and over a thousand had been injured. However after they had forced the crossing and pushed the enemy back the batavians had routed. Now as they closed in on the last settlement of the batavians the general had joined them.

March 5th
Paulinus smiled as his legionaries cut down the last of the rebels. The town beyond them was already exiting the town and submitting. Their would be no mercy for the rebels and their families.

May 1st

Britannicus finished reading the messages from Germania. The news of 2 lost legions and thousands of dead legionaries after a mass rebellion had nearly broken the senates spririt. However the news of the brutal vengeance of the legions had brought a slow applause. There was still grim silence. 2 legions masscared. Another legion worth of dead and injured.

However, Gaius Calpurnius Piso was seething. His nephew Publius Cornelius Piso was dead. In his mind it was because of the idiocy of the Augustus and his stupid germanian war. Britannicus would remember the name of PISO.

Chapter 26 Consulship of Crassus, Talk of a Budget, Rome Burns
Chapter 26

64AD

Since the news of the Germanic legions hard fought winter campaign their had been a tension in the air of Rome. The legions were depleted and would not be able to continue their campaigns for the year, instead focusing on recruiting and settling any occupied territory. To settle the people, as well as the senate which had been slowly turning against him. Britannicus made a the reluctant decision to the German legions telling them their conquest would only go to the Weser River, not the elbe.

However this move did not totally calm the senate whose discontent was lead by several men. Vespasianus and Corbulo would remain distant in some aspects to the Augustus. Their investigations into the evident plot against Britannicus coming to no fruition.

June 20th

The week had been a warm one, and the city of Rome had felt like an oven to Domitia whose pregnancy was in its final weeks. Britannicus had decided to take his wife away to the imperial villa at Antium, along side both Vespasian, Titus and Corbulo.

Britannicus smiled as he held his son Drusus, the boy giggling away playing with his fathers face and Toga. They were walking around the villa, and a gentle wind carried at least a touch of coolness with it in an otherwise hot day. With Britannicus and his son were his 3 companions. They had been discussing the affairs of the east, as well as Germania and the lost legions.

"With the expansion in Germania which will keep those legions occupied for a further 2 to 3 years and will tie up a considerable amount of funds in coming years i think we should consider options for the future." Britannicus had become a man who rarely did not speak of something other than state matters. The loss of two legions is a major loss, even if we do shorten the borders those legions were vital, we will have to reform them. The few cohorts left of the IV were assimilated into other legions. It will not he an immediate thing however i would like to see two more legions recruited in coming years."

Vespasian spoke first, "Yes it would be wise to hold of on their recruiting the german legions will need everything we can send them for the forseeable future. However we must look to Romes coffers and plan our spending."

Titus then spoke up, a rare moment as he usually let the more experienced members speak. "With the taxes from Parthia we will see a boom in our funds. With a stable buildup of money in the coffers we can plan out our spending better. Plan public works military spending. And if we keep the Parthian borders clean trade will increase. We would be able to have a buildup of money yearly allowing for emergency spending. We would obviously need a census of the empires people to have an accurate estimate at yearly taxes."

Everyone nodded. "Titus i want you and your father planning this, we have a huge surplus in Romes coffers currently however if we can budget like a family does, the Empire would be able to plan operations much better."

"Speaking of clean borders," began Corbulo. "Parthia is still a mess, we will have to monitor that area well, along with Judea that place is a hot zone of rebellion. The Danube has been its normal self and the govenors have done their best. And britannia is still recovering from its major rebellion, overall. We are not in a bad place. I would suggest that we do form one legion this year and the other next year, we would take a cut of the recruits bring sent to the frontiers to get these legions ready."

Britannicus sighed. "I did say a few years however it would be good to have a legion ready to send to a possible hot zone, you never know when something will happen." Almost on que Domitia's personal attendant ran towards them. "Sirs the baby is arriving!"

Rome

Piso nodded to the other senators, "I have directed my freedman to do it, the man has been loyal since I freed him and has served me for 10 years it will be done, trust me in this. Take your families from the city by noon otherwise i cannot promise you will be safe. I will be gone in an hours time. The wind is strong and wih this heat the fire will burn as everything is dry."

Senator Marcius Festus nodded. "With the Augustus having left Yesterday will be easy to make people believe he knew this fire would happen. Everything will be in place. Scaevianus how is the Guard reacting to your words?"

The Praetorian Tribune smiled. "They have begun to turn. They're beginning to talk of how he hasnt been generous enough to them it wont be long before they turn completely. They will turn quicker if they belief the senate is changing their stance with the Augustus. We have 30 senators with us we must continue to try and convert more to our cause. With todays actions i think we will."

Near the Circus Maximus

Freedman Gaius Calpurnius Nasus Piso had been starting to worry as he tried to get the fire to light. He had almost been caught but finally the tinder burst into flames and he had quickly thrown it under a pile of crates in the corner of the building his master had bought only months before. He had quickly left the building which had originally been for making bread, and had walked a hundred paces away. Soon the fire had engulfed the building and as the strong wind gusted the flames grew in size and strength and soon a block of buildings and merchant stalls were on fire. As he watched a century of Vigils arrived. They didnt even attempt to throw water on the fire instead they began trying to tear down buildings as fire breaks however it wasnt long befor they were forced back and the fire began jumping buildings as sparks landed on dry tinder. The fire was out of control.

Rome was Burning

Hey guys sorry for the wait on this chapter it definitely has been a while. Life just took over and wasnt able to post. I hope you are all safe in this time and that this new chapter brings you some enjoyment.

Woah, Rome is on fire, i wonder what's the plan behind this, blame the emperor? If it's this there are chances of it horribly back-firing :p, it's good to see this updated nonetheless.

Oooh, the Great Fire in this political environment.

Yep not the best thing for the emperor.
Woah, Rome is on fire, i wonder what's the plan behind this, blame the emperor? If it's this there are chances of it horribly back-firing :p, it's good to see this updated nonetheless.

It will definitely depend on his response, if he does something like Nero otl it would not bade well for him. Even if he didnt plan the fire like the conspirators will obviously say.

Chapter 27: Consulship of Crassus, news from Rome, A look at the east
Chapter 27

64AD

Antium Italia

As the men waited for news from the Midwife they sat outside the spare room used for the birthing chambers. Every noise was heard loud and clearly making the men uncomfortable. The children had been taken away to be kept away from the stuff they shouldnt hear. Finally one of the Augusta's personal attendants came out of the Rome after what had been a strenuous afternoon.

"Sirs, the baby is born, it is a daughter." Britannicus would go into the chambers with the attendant. Later that evening. As the men and children ate a large meal in celebration, and the Augusta and her new daughter, Claudia Julia named after her connection to the Julian side of the Dynasty, slept, news arrived from Rome that would change everything.

At first one of the slaves noticed that their was a red light to the north towards Rome. As the men had been to involved in the house to have looked towards Rome, only then did another slave speak up about seeing a few plumes of smoke going into the afternoon. As the men began to sober up and realize that something might have been happening in Rome, a squad of Praetorians on horse back arrived at speed. After the situation was explained Britannicus Vespasian and Titus got on their own horses and Headed for the chaos that was Rome.

For a week Rome would burn, and due to the horribly constructed wood buildings, after it had been contained and nearly killed it starter back up and continued for another 3 days. During this time thousands would die. However due to the actions of the Augustus, and the Flavians many would be saved. The 3 men personally helped and in Britannicus case even lead the fire fighting efforts. 2/3 of Rome would be burnt to nearly nothing. The Praetorians were used to Evacuate the citizens and help fight the fires, they even set up camps within miles of the city as shelters for evacuees, the imperial palace was its grounds were also used. Supplies were brought in from all over Italia to help the people and do whatever could be done.

After 12 days, the people of Rome would re enter the city to see the devistation that had been delt to the Jewel of Rome.

The Middle East

Much had happened in the east. Even though Titus Flavius Sabinus had continued the efforts to keep the Parthians divided and had much success, something suprising had happened underneath the watch of the Romans. One of the several rival Kings in the split Parthian territories had managed to make a deal with his other kings in the winter when the Romans were hunkered down.

One of the Claimant kings a distant relative to the Arsacids, named Otanes managed to be named King of Kings. This happened after defeating 2 of the other Kings around him, making him the strongest king in the region. Using this power that he managed to get under the nose of the Romans, he bribed the other kings to his cause, if they supported him he would reward them once Mesopotamia was retaken. It was the first time Parthia had been at least somewhat United since the War with the Romans 5 years before.

Somewhere in Parthia

Otanes looked at his now sub kings, and Generals. "The Romans will come back next year unless the have problems in their own territory. Which is why I am organizing two missions. One into Mesopotamia were a few thousand warriors will spread across the region and spread sedition and rebellion. And another to Judea." This puzzeled most of the people listening. "Yes you may wonder why Judea. For one simple reason. The people in the region have always been rebellious. But as of recent news. Their current Procurator has been especially brutal to the people and is squeezing every single denari that he can from the people. They are as close to open rebellion as they ever have been. Which is why another group of warriors shall do the same there. I want men to help fan the flames of Rebellion. The reasons. I want the east on fire, with so many problems that the Romans wont know where to start. With their legions tied down fighting inside their territories. We will amass our men. Not only that. We will retake our lands, and regain our Honour!"

Chapter 28 Consulships pf Crassus to Piso, the harbringer of Chaos
Chapter 28

The rest of 64AD went to pass with much tension. After the fire of Rome with the help and suggestions of Titus Flavius Vespasianus began the building of a massive amphitheater, which would take 15 years to complete with much on and off work. This Amphitheater would become known as the Claudian Amphitheater, and eventually the Colosseum. However before that was completed the empires armies would go to the breaking point. The Chaos that would set the precedent for the next decades began with a nearly succeful coup on the Emperor.

The words of Piso's group would take hold within Rome as the rebuilding began and people seen massive areas set aside for imperial building projects. These would become the Claudian Amphitheater, Claudian Baths, and Britannicus Forum. Massive public centers. However at the time it was feared these were for personal use of the Emperor, the message spread by those under the pisonian grip. With the people behind him, Piso managed to convince the Augustus that with the death of his nephew that his family for their sacrifice for the empire deserved a consulship. Which he would recieve. A Consulship from February to July in which time Piso would able to pass motions in the senate as well as Veto laws. His accompanying consul would be Marcus Julius Vetinus Atticus. A man who would be a danger to the conspiracy.

With the imperial family still in Antium Britannicus visited the Capital weekly. It was during one of these trips that Piso's Conspiracy struck. Only 2 of the 10 1000 man Praetorian cohorts were still loyal to Britannicus. The rest had been silently bribed by Piso and their tribunes. On the night of May 2nd 65AD, the Praetorians killed the Praetorian Prefect Rufrius Crispinus and his family while they slept. The Co Consul to Piso along with only the members of the conspiracy and some others to feign a real meeting were called to an emergency meeting. However on the way it just happened that atticus would fall prey to robbers in the night, being stabbed and over a dozen times and stripped of anything of worth.

To the horror of the few senators not in the conspiracy who sent for they watched as the Augustus was named a enemy of Rome by a small senate meeting numbering roughly 50 senators including 10 non conspirators. Piso was named Princeps and Dictator. Within half an hour Piso at the head of 8000 men was marching towards the imperial palace. Where 2000 men along with Britannicus were.

However the true Princeps had been alerted that something may have been happening. By who, Titus Flavius Vespasianus who was visiting his mistress Caenis. After waking late in the night, one of his freedmen alerted him to what seemed to have been movement of troops in nearby streets. The Praetorians were in full armor and carrying Gladi. In fact they were searching for Vespasian. Vespasian would send his mistress out of the city, before making his way to the imperial palace. Only minutes before the Army would arrive. With the loyal Praetorians expecting the arrival of a large enemy force they were lined and ready for battle.

Words were said by both Piso and Britannicus to the opposing forces. However after several minutes it was clear Piso was buying time to encircle the imperial palace. A sudden clash would open the engagement between the two forces and Britannicus, Vespasian would withdraw from the frontline. They gathered their soldiers and leaving 500 men to die they had their forces mount horses before riding out the other side of the palace. The only just made it out, the remaining 500 of the already lost cohort would stay on foot and hold for as long as possible. Giving the Emperor time to leave Rome safely.

With 1000 men he would head south to Neapolis were Corbulos legion was still stationed as it finished its training. The rest of the Imperial family including Corbulo and Vespasianus family and Claudia Octavia family would sail south to Neapolis from Antium.

In Rome Piso whose forces had suffered a minor beating from the 1 cohort of Praetorians losing 200 men gathered their forces briefly before marching south, they needed to kill the Augustus before he gathered support. In the meantime to hold Rome Piso left his Son as Caesar his hier and the commander in Rome. Galerianus would have a cohort of Praetorians and was left to train and arm men from Rome. As well he was left to kill any who opposed the new regime.

Piso with 7000 Praetorians, 200 cavalry recently raised from Rome as well as a further 2000 men armed as Praetorians and trained as they marched south, began their treck south.

In Neapolis Britannicus would find Corbulo with the recently raised XIX Italica. They had 6000 Men, but only 150 legionary cavalry. Messages were sent south to Africa, east to the Danube and North to Germania, however the only forces that would have been able to maybe support the Emperor would have been the III Augusta in Africa however that would leave Africa undefended.

2 weeks after the conspirators had taken Rome, on May 16th a battle would be fought 10 miles north of Neapolis. However it was not the decisive battle both sides needed. The XIX and Praetorians of Britannicus were forced to spread their lines thinner then thier enemy who used their numbers to try and press the flanks of Britannicus army. The initial clash would be slow as even though the praetorians had been trained for battle, the vast majority unlike Augustus Praetorians were not veteran soldiers, but usually the sons of equites and previous Praetorians. The lines tested themselves and a slow melee ensued with minimal casualties on both sides, however it was the armed men of Rome on Piso's side who would cause the end of the battle. Though trained they were still more of a militia than anything. And as they fought better trained men they took the brunt of the casualties of the battle and routed before the other men on the field this route forced Piso to withdraw in good order or leave his flank to be taken. The cavalry on either side never got involved as neither wanted to be the one to lose that front.

Piso would fall back just south of Rome, sending cohorts of men to ensure that the towns nearest including Ostia were on his side. He would also use this time gather the men his son had raised. An additional 3000 heavily armed militia. Piso would once again move south this time with Roughly 10000 men to Britannicus 6000.

However unkown to Piso was that indeed the III Augusta from Africa had sent reinforcements to the emperor. 4 Veteran cohorts of the III 2000 men, arrived at Neapolis just days before he would arrive. Of course this left Africa with not only the remaining 6 cohorts of the Legion but also its Auxiliaries in the province. On June 1st on the same field as the last battle the 2nd battle of Neapolis would happen. 10000 men against 8500. Again Piso would try the same maneuver as before. However this time Britannicus who had taken the time to gather additional cavalry having 500 used his cavalry to his advantage.

This would be the decisive battle that either side needed. The battle began the same as the last however with more agression from both sides. Again the battle was decided by the heavy militia on Pisos side. They were faced by the experienced men of the III not the XIX of the previous battle, and it would show. The III Legion showed there expiernce as seasoned soldiers cutting through the moderately trained militia like a scythe through wheat. As the III legions cohorts began to make progress the cavalry of Britannicus charged in and fought the cavalry of Piso, who were rienforced by some mounted Praetorians. However it was a losing effort. With Piso's cavalry driven off the field and the Militia losing ground quickly and nearly ready to route the rest of Piso's army began to fight a ordered withdrawal. However the cavalry of Britannicus turned it into a full route as they re-entered the battle and smashed into the the Pisonian Praetorians flank. Pisos army lost all cohension and routed chased down be legionaries and cavalry. No mercy was given to the traitors, of Pisos 10000 men, 6000 would die, 2000 would be captured and mass executed for Treason. And the remaining 2000 would disappear, scattered across Italia. Piso himself left with only 20 men as a bodyguard would be used as his guard in an attempt to negotiate. It was all for naught as Britannicus had all 20 men executed and Piso taken prisoner.

Piso Galerianus son of a now usurper and with 3000 men, would be put into siege by the city he was supposed to control, once news of the approaching army arrived. He held out until Britannicus arrived. The XIX and III legions, stormed the palace killing all inside including slaves, any person of status such as tribune or centurion that was captured was soon executed. Galerianus and Piso would he paraded around the city before being thrown of the tarpeian rock. Any Conspirators were either executed commited suicide or were forced into exile, with either a portion or most of their wealth seized. Future Historians would always wonder what if the night the Pisonian conspiracy struck had been succeful and the Emperor had been killed.

However news would soon arrive from the east that would sour any relief the Emperor felt. The east was in Revolt!

Last edited:
Also another thing. I noticed that with all the action going on i forgot to mention the births of sons for both Paulinus and Corbulo around the time of 62AD. Their sons being born roughly 6 months apart, Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo, and Gaius Suetonius Paulinus, i will be looking back and finding a chapter to edit them into like they were supposed to be from the beginning. This also means. That there is a new generation of descendants of Augustus that numbers 6, Lucius Cornelius Sulla, Gnaeus Suetonius Paulinus, Gaius Domitius Corbulo, Drusus Claudius Germanicus, and Claudia Julia in order of birth, from 60AD to current time, and an older Lucius Junius Silanus born around 50AD

Last edited:
Chapter 29 Consulship of Piso[Deceased], The east in flames
Chapter 29
Consulship of Gaius Calpurnius Piso [Deceased]
65 AD

Before the Pisonian Conspiracy the rebuilding of Rome began with a almost military like organization. It was Vespasianus who talked Britannicus into the massive Amphitheater that would become one of the biggest attractions of Rome. It was because of this structure and 2 others that were set about secretly that the people in the city rioted. After the conspiracy, it would become public knowledge what was being built. As this building restarted once Rome was calmed down, Vespasianus would set down the permanent architecture of the structure which would be completed near the time of his death. However news would come that would take the great man away from Rome with his emperors orders.

The Parthians had began their mission to make the Roman east break apart in 64AD. By spring of 65AD, with one of the most corrupt Prefects it had ever had, stealing wealth by force from the jewish temples, the province of Judea errupted into a furious rebellion. In May of 65AD, the jews set up a goverment in Jerusalem, this goverment would send its general Yosef ben Marthius and with a militia numbering 12,000 supported by 5,000 Parthians not only did they route the Auxillia forces of Gessius Florus, they totally massacred them. The militia in a rage by the horrors the Auxillia had submitted onto their people over the last few years, savagely killed any Auxillia they could find. Over 2000 Auxillia died on a lost Judean Field, the Prefect Gessius Florus would be executed months later when he was sent to Britannicus by Vespasian, and all his wealth stolen.

As it stood, Gessius Florus ran to Syria which now had no legions only several thousand Auxiliaries, and however the governor of the province Cestius Gallus would send to Rome and the province of Osrhoene, where the XXII Premigenia was stationed. The Govenor of the province who was also the legate of the legion was a practical man, he could not leave the new province in fear of a rebellion sparking, of which he had heard Rumours, however he could not send his Auxiliaries lest he let them go to the same fate as those who already tried to hold the rebellion. So he chose the best option. He sent to Titus Flavius Sabinus the senior commander in the east asking for a few cohorts while his entire legion under the command of his Laticlavian Tribune, a recent commission from Germania and Rome Lucius Flavius Silva would go to Syria gather The Auxiliaries there before going to Judea.

As Lucius Flavius Silva who was in no relation to the Flavi Sabini, marched his legion to Syria, Judea would develop even further into Rebellion. Its General Mathieus would secure the entirety of Galilee fortifying the area. The rest of Judea would soon follow the rebellion. By the time that Rome had heard and Silva had marched into Galilee, the jews were waiting with trained and armed men, 60,000 of them. Even though the rebellion was alreayd fractious with zealots and the goverment, this force lead by Mathieus would meet Silvas Legion in and its accompanying 5,000 Auxillia somewhere between Tiberias and Ptolemais. Before a battle could begin Silva seeing the huge numbers of Jews fell back from his position. Camping for the night, Silva would send his Auxillia a further 10 miles away were a Ambush could he set.

Come dawn a game of cat and mouse began as the jewish forces chased the lone legion, the jewish forces swelled as the people grew confidence with the new goverment and for their hate of the romans which was at a feverish high. However around Noon as the legion passed between two hills they slowed their march. Seeing this Mattheus a smart man wanted to halt, the hills that the Romans passed between ran parallel to eachother for several miles, perfect for an ambush or for a defence. However the Zealot warriors incensed charged foward, hoping that the rest of the army would follow, those that disobeyed Matheus orders would wish they hadnt.

It was only at this time that the missing Auxillia was noticed by Matheus, who had assumed they had been at the front of the roman march. However he couldnt stop the 20,000 men who were running at the Roman wall set perfectly in between the two ridgelines. The legion held the Jews at bay strongly, for several minutes it looked like the jewish numbers would break the roman lines, however the romans held, and then it happened. The Auxillia who had been waiting from behind the ridges advanced. They fell upon the flanks of the suprised jewish forces slaughtering many. As much as Matheus wanted to leave the men who had endangered the entire army, he knew that everyman would be valuable, as well a loss would significantly smash the new states moral, leading to even more divisions. So he sent his entire army in. Silva would be forced to withdraw, however he would sacrifice nearly 500 legionaries and most of his Auxiliaries to keep the main part of the legion alive.

To Silvas credit he knew that he had been extremely lucky to have been able to keep his legion alive during the campaign, he did however manage to kill roughly 8,000 jews before he was forced to withdraw. Mattheus seeing the divisions in his army would not follow Silva who would make it to Ptolamais only a day later, both forces would sit waiting for the first to move. It was a mistake the Jewish general would never forget. For not a month later the XIX which had been renamed to the XIX Italica Claudia for its loyalty, would arrive to reinforce the XXII and it was lead by Vespasian. His son Titus granted command of the XVII Hispanica on the Danube would also bring his legion to Syria. This army would be joined by some 15,000 Auxiliaries. With Roughly 30,000 men Vespasian would march back into Galilee. Unfortunately for Mattheus his army had split by this time and only 40,000 remained as the Zealots tried to fight the new Jewish goverment. In total the jewish goverment over all its territory had roughly 80,000 fighting men, it would have been nearly 100,000 if the zealots were not fighting their own people. By this point the Parthians were trying to help organize and train the rebels, their efforts would not outlast the might of the legions.

In Galilee Vespasian would spend the rest of the year taking the territory, taking many small cities and towns killing all males, and selling everyone else to slavers. However his campaign would become famous for its 40 day siege of Jotapata. During this seige where Mattheus and half his army were caught in the city a brutal fight would ensue, even Vespasian being injured. Mattheus would be captured after the destruction of his city, and become a personal freedman of Vespasianus and a historian, by the name of Titus Flavius Josephus. However this would be the farthest south Vespasian would go for at least the year. As events were brewing elsewhere in the east. His brother Titus Flavius Sabinus, was not only fighting rebels in Mesopotamia, but also a massive organized Parthian invasion. The rebellion included the Province of Osrhoene, as well as several of the client kingdoms who werent happy with how they were being treated since the initial invasion of Mesopotamia. The client kings also did not want to lose their privileges once Rome eventually decided to turn the kingdoms into provinces. Deciding this was the perfect time they rebelled. As Talented as the Flavi brothers were, Vespasian sent to Rome asking for more legions, and another general, specifically the great (but retired) Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo.

The Roman east was on fire, and it would stretch the empire the closest to the brink it had ever been up to this point.

Last edited:
If I was Britannicus, I would use the eastern revolt as a reason to introduce imperial reforms separating civil and military roles. I would keep the legates in their current role as commanders of the legions while proconsuls would be the civil governor in all provinces (both imperial and senatorial). Unlike the republican era proconsuls, the provincial proconsul of TTL must an native inhabitant of the province they’re governing (Florus serves as the perfect example of what happens when you have a corrupt political hack with “no skin in the game” govern a sensitive province like Judea). Also losing a province or two in the East via Parthian conquest or reversion to client state status could be beneficial long term for Rome as they have a shorter frontier to defend (the empire is overextended as it is already) and thus ought to refocus their military assets on the Rhine / Danube frontier.

If I was Britannicus, I would use the eastern revolt as a reason to introduce imperial reforms separating civil and military roles. I would keep the legates in their current role as commanders of the legions while proconsuls would be the civil governor in all provinces (both imperial and senatorial). Unlike the republican era proconsuls, the provincial proconsul of TTL must an native inhabitant of the province they’re governing (Florus serves as the perfect example of what happens when you have a corrupt political hack with “no skin in the game” govern a sensitive province like Judea). Also losing a province or two in the East via Parthian conquest or reversion to client state status could be beneficial long term for Rome as they have a shorter frontier to defend (the empire is overextended as it is already) and thus ought to refocus their military assets on the Rhine / Danube frontier.

After all the war and chaos if hes still Emperor/alive i could see Britannicus making some reforms. And i dont want to make to many spoilere however the govenors being born of the province probably wont be one of them. That would only stoke divisions, instead of trying to make everyone roman.

After all the war and chaos if hes still Emperor/alive i could see Britannicus making some reforms. And i dont want to make to many spoilere however the govenors being born of the province probably wont be one of them. That would only stoke divisions, instead of trying to make everyone roman.
That’s the thing though, not everyone in the Empire wanted to be Romanized and any post revolt imperial reforms need to take that into account. In my proposal with the separation of civil and military roles in the provinces, the military commander will be Roman (preferably of the Senatorial class in order to give the Senators a continued stake in the defense of the Empire) while the governor in the more civilized provinces could a native inhabitant of the province (a native will have a better knowledge of the local political climate and also will know what not to do).

That’s the thing though, not everyone in the Empire wanted to be Romanized and any post revolt imperial reforms need to take that into account. In my proposal with the separation of civil and military roles in the provinces, the military commander will be Roman (preferably of the Senatorial class in order to give the Senators a continued stake in the defense of the Empire) while the governor in the more civilized provinces could a native inhabitant of the province (a native will have a better knowledge of the local political climate and also will know what not to do).

The reforms you mention are similar to those of the dominate and some of them will be implemented, however at this point in Britannicus reign the Republic was only roughly 100 years before this point. In otl with Nero as Emperor he was the first Emperor to allow Gauls to even be in the senate. To move to much power from the senate would to end up with a death like Domition. It must also be said that Judea is one of 2 provinces that are governed by members of the eqestrian order, the other is Egypt.

Chapter 30 Consulship of Aquila A Dangerous Precedent
Chapter 30

Consulship of Marcus Arruntius Aquila
65AD-66AD

The situation in the east was critical, as well their was already a massive number of legions in the region before the reinforcements were sent. Under Vespasianus who had quarantined the Jews in southern Judea were the legions, XXII, XIX, and XVII. In the critical Mesopotamia, fighting the rebels on all fronts as well as the Parthian Invasion was Sabinus. Sabinus had 6 Legions, the III, V, VI, X, XII, and XV. and Armenia is the IV Scythica.

For those in Rome who had just fought a nearly succeful coup, it was a shock to hear of the massive wsr erupting in the east. Corbulo and Britannicus began forming a plan of Reinforcing the east, it was setting a precedent for a stretched empire to drastically shift its forces from one front to the other.

At this point it would be well worth talking of what happened to the reformed Praetorians. The Praetorians had once been a group of soldiers loyal to the Emperors, not thier makers. Over the years the practice of Veterans becoming Praetorians had become less, until now. After the pisonian conspiracy, Britannicus sent messages to Britannia, the III Augusta in Africa, several of the danube legions and Germania. 5000 men would be sent to rome, these were some of the longest and best soldiers in the roman army. These would form the core of Britannicus new praetorians. However before they could be true praetorians, they would be sent to the east with Corbulo to make up his numbers for his army. Still leaving Britannicus with a small 1000 man cohort to Guard him.

By spring of 66AD all forces would arrive in the east. 2 of the danubian legions, the XI and VII Claudia legions, plus their auxillia. Joined by the Praetorians and Corbulo soon after. Converging on Cappadocia they would attack the rebel kings first.

The other major news was from Germania. The loss of 2 of the 9 legions along with numerous other casualties was a hard hit. That is why the year after was spent training new legionnairesand Auxiliaries. By the end of summer going into fall the campaign would resume. This would be a small campaign against the Mattaci and Ampisavarii, which lead to their capitulation at the end of the fall. In65AD Paulinus would move further south with 4 of the 7 legions against the small tribes that inhabited the area known as Agri Decumates, the triangle area between the two great rivers, Danube and Rhine. By mid June the Conquest was complete, and Paulinus moved against the larger Chatti. By the end of the year Paulinus had defeated them in a large major battle, and followed this up with the masscares of several warbands who tried to guard their towns. The rest would submit, and a split ensued in which half the tribe would stay, but the rest would migrate to Chatti territory across the Weser River.

In the North with the remaining 3 legions, the now well known and respected General Marcus Vinicius Priscus invaded the chaucii. The Campaign for Priscus was hard fought, fighting several major battles before he pushed to the main chaucii settlement west of the weser. In a brutal 2 week siege the romans finally managed to break into the small city, and after slaughtering most of the inhabitants the place was burnt to the ground. The chaucii leaders affer seeing how solid of a general and veteran army they faced the Chaucii surrendered. Many wpuld stay, however like the Chatti a small migration would ensue across the Weser.

After these tribes the only Tribe left on the west side of the Weser was the Hermundi, who also lay along the danube. Leaving Priscus in charge of half the army and the province, Paulinus wouldlead a campaign into Hermundi territory in 66AD. The exact details of this war are lost to history, however we do know roughly 2000 Roman lives were lost to the tribes hit and run tactics. Only 1 major battle happened in an unknown valley, as well as a major attack on the roman camp. Soon after the tribe would surrender and sign a peace deal.

After these campaigns all German territories west of the Weser were conquered. The Chatti, Chaucii, and Hermundi were named clients of Rome, and would supply Auxillia to the empire. At the same time all 3 tribes were some of the most powerful between the weser and elbe rivers.

Rebellions would continue until around 70 AD in Germania however as Paulinus sent news of the conquest to Rome it would give the empire something to celebrate after a tough decade.

The war had been tough on Rome however. Over 5 years of fightinf roughly 30,000 Legionnaires had died or been forced from service due to injury. This didnt include the numerous Auxillia who would have numbered near the same in deaths. 60,000 men from the rhine to the weser, it was costly for the little gain it would give Rome. Like Britannia Rome would have to implement vast reforms in the province and induce alot of money into the province. As well it would have to set up colonies to begin the forming of trade and taxes. However in the fog of war and hurried mass deployments something was overlooked by both Corbulo and Britannicus. With wars in Germania and Parthia the empire was streched, and as legions were shifted, the longest border of Rome, the Danube was guared by the X Gemina and XIII Gemina. 2 legions, A dangerous precedent!