Mare Nostrum is just a dream,the need of a strong ally to the East that doesn't actually border you is reality.Honestly,France isn't in control of the Western Mediterranean either,Spain is a fully independent entity,not a puppet state.The term Mare Nostrum is also figurative,I take it to interpret that as an attempt to lock out the enemies of France from it.I'm not sure why Russia is seen as an enemy though.To be honest though,a strong Ottoman Empire will definitely be more useful than Russia as an ally since you can launch a pincer move on France's enemies in Central Europe.

A competitor is perhaps a better term. Besides that, Russia did beat up on Sweden, which is one of France's allies. Enemy of my enemy, and of course the Ottomans' usefulness that you've pointed out. The subsequent alliance to the Ottomans makes Russia a rival in the longer term.

Last edited:
A competitor is perhaps a better term. Besides that, Russia did beat up on Sweden, which is one of France's allies. Enemy of my enemy, and of course the Ottomans' usefulness that you've pointed out. The subsequent alliance to the Ottomans makes Russia a rival in the longer term.
So why is Sweden still considered a French ally?I'm pretty sure the alliance actually ended during the latter years of Louis XIV's reign,and that Sweden even fought a war against France at one point(the War of the Grand Alliance).

So why is Sweden still considered a French ally?I'm pretty sure the alliance actually ended during the latter years of Louis XIV's reign,and that Sweden even fought a war against France at one point(the War of the Grand Alliance).

I seem to remember that alliance being restored later on. Philip K. Massie mentions in his biography of Peter the Great how the latter went to France in 1715 to convince the old Louis XIV to abandon his alliance to Sweden in the Great Northern War. This means the alliance was restored at some point after the War of the Grand Alliance. Also, who says Swedish participation in that war hasn't been butterflied away ITTL? Besides that, the Great Northern War ITTL, involved alt-Prussia, an enemy of Bavaria and therefore of France. Sweden is useful in neutralizing alt-Prussia. Also, remember that alliances were fickle at the time: Bavaria was also an enemy in the War of the Grand Alliance, which proved no impediment to an alliance with France in the War of the Spanish Succession less than five years later.

I seem to remember that alliance being restored later on. Philip K. Massie mentions in his biography of Peter the Great how the latter went to France in 1715 to convince the old Louis XIV to abandon his alliance to Sweden in the Great Northern War. This means the alliance was restored at some point after the War of the Grand Alliance. Also, who says Swedish participation in that war hasn't been butterflied away ITTL? Besides that, the Great Northern War ITTL, involved alt-Prussia, an enemy of Bavaria and therefore of France. Sweden is useful in neutralizing alt-Prussia. Also, remember that alliances were fickle at the time: Bavaria was also an enemy in the War of the Grand Alliance, which proved no impediment to an alliance with France in the War of the Spanish Succession less than five years later.
So did Charles XII still try to fight anymore wars?Namely any attempts to attack Denmark-Norway or any of the German states?

Attachments

• Bourbon Delerium Europe_c._1715(C).gif
    Bourbon Delerium Europe_c._1715(C).gif
    209.8 KB · Views: 1,091
I wonder,will the Dutch want to maintain their personal union with England after William dies?The changes are pretty drastic here.The Netherlands directly bordering the big blue blob is no joke.

I wonder,will the Dutch want to maintain their personal union with England after William dies?The changes are pretty drastic here.The Netherlands directly bordering the big blue blob is no joke.
The question is, do the English want to be tied to the Dutch?

The question is, do the English want to be tied to the Dutch?
More resources?The country gets stronger?More trade in the East Indies?Having the French control Flanders is bad enough,having the French conquering the Netherlands or turning it into one of it's stooges is probably even worse.

More resources?The country gets stronger?More trade in the East Indies?Having the French control Flanders is bad enough,having the French conquering the Netherlands or turning it into one of it's stooges is probably even worse.

Yeah, but you might have to fight FrankenFrance.

Hope this works.

Mostly correct. The Ottomans have gotten the entirety of Hungary on the map, which is a bit too much. They just regained the stuff they lost in 1699, but the remainder of Hungary is still Habsburg. And it seems like Lusatia is still part of Saxony although it should be with Brandenburg-Prussia. Other than that, it's very good.

Last edited:
Mostly correct. The Ottomans have gotten the entirety of Hungary on the map, which is a bit too much. They just regained the stuff they lost in 1699, but the remainder of Hungary is still Habsburg. And it seems like Lusatia is still part of Saxony although it should be with Brandenburg-Prussia. Other than that, it's very good.
It looks like I used the map here: https://attwiw.com/2016/01/26/today-in-european-history-the-treaty-of-karlowitz-1699/

That might make it a bit more clear.