Better names for US warships

Because the Navy was not building cruisers and naming them after cities, the Los Angeles class attack submarines were named after cities. While I like that all of them followed the same naming scheme, unlike the preceding Sturgeon class, I prefer the fish names.
I mean, unless you go with "all modern destroyers/frigates are already cruisers" SSNs might well be the closest things to cruisers so naming them after cities makes sense I think (state names should definitely go to the SSBNs however).
There should also always be an SSN Nautilus, and Narwhal.
As Adm Rickover said at the time "fish don't vote". Naming ships is like who to put on bank notes, it's part of your culture and whats important to you but you need to be politically astute as well when dealing with a legislature that is funding you.

As Adm Rickover said at the time "fish don't vote". Naming ships is like who to put on bank notes, it's part of your culture and whats important to you but you need to be politically astute as well when dealing with a legislature that is funding you.
I doubt if Congress ever appropriated more money for submarines because they were named after particular cities. You can only name one after the city of the committee chairman each time the seat changes, and you always building new boats. All your doing is starting arguments between Congressmen over what to name the limited number of new boats. When they named SSN-705 after Corpus Christi they had to add the prefix City of because of the backlash against naming a warship the Body of Christ.

My next step was to consult the Electric Boat Company Data Sheet. It listed every submarine ever built for the United States Navy, their sequential number beginning with USS Holland as number I, their length, breadth, etc., their commissioning commanding officer and their sponsor. I drew a line on top of USS Nautilus (SSN-571) and started scanning all the sponsor’s names for SSNs and SSBNs. I seemed to see some familiar sounding names. I got out my Congressional Directory and cross-checked the sponsor’s names against a listing of senators and representatives. There appeared to be a high correlation. I went even further and checked Committee assignments for those members whose mothers, wives or daughters had somehow wound up as sponsors of nuclear submarines. Here again the correlation was very high. Members of authorization committees, appropriation committees and the nuclear energy committee seemed to have done particularly well. It has been a long time now and I don’t remember the exact number but it seems to me that the correlation between sponsor and member of Congress-relative was at least 90 percent. It became clear to me that while Admiral Rickover knew that fish didn’t vote he was well aware that Senators and Representatives did.
Source: https://archive.navalsubleague.org/2003/fish-dont-vote

Something I don't get is why, after the first ship named after Lenah H. Sutcliffe Higbee was USS Higbee (DD-806), the new ship (DDG-123) had to be named USS Lenah Sutcliffe Higbee. There isn't another USS Higbee in the fleet to confuse it with, and everybody is already going to call it Higbee, so why do we have to write a much longer name now? Going the other way, Navy Cross awardee Rear Admiral Theodore E. Chandler had two ships named after him, the Gearing-class destroyer USS Theodore E. Chandler (DD-717) and the Kidd-class destroyer USS Chandler (DDG-996). The USS Theodore E. Chandler was so named to distinguish it from the USS Chandler (DD-206), a Clemson class destroyer named after Secretary of the Navy (1882-1886) William Eaton Chandler that was decommissioned in 1945. Why, then, was the next ship named after Theodore E. Chandler just the USS Chandler?

I think most of the following names are particularly associated with America’s history. Americans believe their nation, rightly or wrongly, to be an exceptional, unique nation that is generally relied upon to be “the world’s policeman”.

USS "Immigrant Song" ( The United States is a nation of immigrants and this Led Zeppelin song contains a fitting response to any enemy in the lines :

"So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing."

The world had an effective 'policeman' from 1815 to 1915, until certain senior officials in the US became upset that it wasn’t them and resolved to take any possible military or economic opportunity to reduce British influence.

Immigrant Song is about Vikings attacking the North Sea coast of England and subsequently settling with a capital of Yorvik (you know the place, one of your largest cities is [incorrectly, as there was already a New York near Boston {where the Mayflower  originally sailed from before putting into Plymouth to replenish} before New Amsterdam was sold] named after it).

Yes, the Royal Navy had the County and Town class cruisers but most of the Towns were named after ports. The few exceptions were very large places like Birmingham, Nottingham, and Sheffield, which were centres of heavy industry involved in manufacturing components for warships.

Edit for additional thought:

I also don't recall any landlocked counties being represented. No HMS Derbyshire or HMS Herefordshire, for example.

Last edited:
IMHO and talking to others, we like/liked the names. I was on the USS Jacksonville, Stonewall Jackson, Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. The cities and states were always doing nice stuff for you. Went to Jacksonville once and they threw us a 4 day party. I’m actually an Honorary Kentucky Colonel because I did the last patrol of the Clay. Guys on the Indianapolis got to go to the Indy 500 every year (like Pit Row and stuff). The USS Jimmy Carter is now the spec ops boat. Nukes I knew on the Rickover thought it was cool. Carl Vinson was the father of the Two Ocean Navy Act. JFK was, well JFK. Ford was in combat for several years on a CVL. They are changing. Think it’s SSN 804 that’s going to be the Barb. As far as myself and fellow submariners are concerned, they could just name all surface ships USS Target.
I never minded my boat’s name. Especially since they’ve named a number of VACLs after WW2 battleships. There is something to be said for honoring the legacy: Washington sank a Japanese battleship, Iowa, Missouri, and New Jersey were all storied ships. Personally, my friends and I were thrilled to see names like Tang, Barb, and Wahoo return. We shall now read from the book…
My opinions:
Carriers should only carry names of the sort that were proposed for CCs. The Navy should make all possible efforts to ensure that names like Wasp, Hornet, and Enterprise are never out of use. USS Franklin D. Roosevelt (CV-42) seems to have started the trend of naming ships already under construction after recently deceased political supporters of the US Navy. That was a colossal mistake. USS Reprisal is a particularly good name that has not seen service in a long time.
I 100% agree with you. It’s good to see that Enterprise won’t die out, but there have been a lot of very historic names left to history: Lexington, Saratoga, Constellation (thankfully making a comeback).
I think using the names of USN and USMC Medal of Honor and Navy Cross awardees for destroyers is good. They are the largest combatants that should be named after people.
Totally agree.
USS Chancellorsville should have been renamed after a decisive Union victory like Chattanooga, which might also mean naming a cruiser after a city..
She has been renamed. USS Robert Smalls…
As the ultimate guarantors of American sovereignty, naming the Ohio class SSBNs after states is appropriate, especially because there are no more battleships to name after states. While the names of the early 41 for Freedom might be appropriate for American capital ships, by the end they were running out of historical figures. Naming an American warship after Will Rogers was not a good idea.
I think it is only fitting that boomers should have boring names.

the Brits had (have?) a warship named Indefatigable. They deserve nothing but derision for that.

It followed the alliterative thinking of HMS Invincible, HMS Indomitable and HMS Inflexible. It certainly isn't my favourite, which is why my two G3s which come out of Balfour and Hughes' discussions on 14 December 1921 (PoD at 4pm) take the first pair of names.

the Brits had (have?) a warship named Indefatigable. They deserve nothing but derision for that.
It could be worse, they could have named her Unsinkable which is just begging for it. As for the name Indefatigable, it dates back to a 64 gun ship of the line from the 1780's. It was cut down to a frigate and was very successful in the Napoleonic wars. Also the ship the fictional Horatio Hornblower served on.

Last edited:

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Yes, the Royal Navy had the County and Town class cruisers but most of the Towns were named after ports. The few exceptions were very large places like Birmingham, Nottingham, and Sheffield, which were centres of heavy industry involved in manufacturing components for warships.

I also don't recall any landlocked counties being represented. No HMS Derbyshire or HMS Herefordshire, for example.
There was an HMS Surrey heavy cruiser planned before WWII.
I always feel sorry for the battlecruiser HMS Indefatigable - one poorly shot photo of what could be anything compared to the photos of Queen Mary & Invincible disassembling themselves swiftly over a wide area.

Which raises the question - why would you name later ships (both carriers) after vessels that immolated their own crews?

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Didn't the Space Shuttles take some of those historic USN ship names - certainly Enterprise although that may not have been named after the Midway veteran...

Which raises the question - why would you name later ships (both carriers) after vessels that immolated their own crews?

The names did have a previous history. And plus, it is not as if they randomly exploded at port. It was in battle. Dying in battle is generally considered a heroic thing to do worthy of note.

Didn't the Space Shuttles take some of those historic USN ship names - certainly Enterprise although that may not have been named after the Midway veteran...

Who cares? Space Shuttles are not USN ships and as such their names do not limit what names USN could give it's ships. USS Enterprise coexisted with HMS Enterprise after all.

Inflexible is an odd one. Not to say bad, but it doesn't belong in the same league as Warspite for "Why would you not continue to reuse this?"

On US ships, it would be interesting to have mythological references - but then you'd have to decide what mythology. That might be tricky if you made it a consistent thing and not a one off whim.

Nick P

Donor

There was an HMS Derbyshire - https://www.arborfield-september49ers.co.uk/hmt_derbyshire.htm
Talking of landlocked counties; there was also an HMS Hertfordshire - https://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/6351.html
and an HMS Bedfordshire - https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/1626.html

Back to the original question:
How about Native American tribes and leaders for US ship names? There must be enough for a whole class of warships rather than the handful randomly attributed here - https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/diversity/american-indians.html