Best time for the USA to get Canada?

The real difficulty is going to lie in that the remaining British colonies in North America post ARW were likely one of the most pivotal things in the overall success of the post-ARW: If there wasn't a local, convienient and essentially empty country right next door the 13 colonies for the large numbers of Loyalists to move to, the first time the new republic has a growing pain, those same Loyalists will be demanding and fighting for a return to Empire. Look at Russia in the immediate aftermath of their revolution, with White and Red forces duking it out.

The sooner after the ARW that the successful annexation happens, the harder it will be to deal with this. The risk would not only include open warfare, but also for political infighting. You'd see states with varying degrees of desire to return to Empire, both formally and informally. I'd say that the end result would be a US that is actually dominated by the British, at least informally, or even overtly for a long time. Stop and think how voting would have been different in each election if you had all of the Canadians now sprinkled in every state. I'd suggest that you'd see the British retaining small enclave posts and trade centres for long periods of time, as well as London remaining the political centre of gravity for the colonies for a good long time. It'd also be interesting to see how the pressures of the ACW played out as well, considering the British would likely become involved overtly, as both sides would view thier support as key to victory. In fact, I'd see any dispute or conflict between states being generally resolved by looking to London vice Washington.

In sum, the key is to look how the annexation would affect both the invaders and the invaded together, not just one or the other in isolation.

Fighting a lengthy revolutionary war together can go an helluva way far towards building up brotherhood and trust.

You mean like the Spanish American wars of independence, which famously stayed together once achieved, despite having the same language and culture?

There are not just religious and linguistic differences. There are also political affinities borne out of being part of the same Revolution and brotherhood-in-arms forged on the battlefield. Ethnic-cultural differences are not the only potential building blocks of national consciousness or foiunding myths.

Do you have any examples of political affinities and brotherhood-in-arms trumping linguistic and religious differences during state formation in real life? On the other hand, there are plenty of examples of states breaking up on cultural & religious differences even after the state has formed.

The Revocation of Edict of Nantes was a century before. Now, who's being anachronistic?

At least it has been something that has happened before. How many examples before the 1770s have there been of lasting constutional guarantees? How much exposure would the feudal system in Quebec have had to them?

The British did it, not an independent America.

The way the French Quebecois would have looked at the time would not have noticed such a clear split in pre-1770 decision making. The Anglo Americans hugely cheered on the expulsion, and were also pretty happy about marching off to clear French forts and settlements to make room for Anglo settlement whenever it suited them, without guidance from Westminster.

The early US Constitution, not to mention the Articles of Confederation, would give an helluva amount of autonomy to Canadian states, that amounted to pretty much self-rule in almost all domestic matters, short of monetary and fiscal policy.

If you've given up fiscal policy, you've given up independence. The Quebecois are simply not going to be happy about handing over their money to an Anglo-dominated government.

Political union would serve certain interests (e.g. trade, infrastructure development, colonial expansion, military protection) better than a simple alliance.

Trade can be achieved just as well with a simple trade deal.

What are the advantages of infrastructure from the federal rather than the Quebec government? Besides, Quebec is pretty well served by the St. Lawrence River system and the Great Lakes. It is much preferable to keep the money in your own hands and plan it locally.

As for colonial expansion, this is something the Quebecois would be most worried about. As part of a union, expansion to the West would be open to Anglo settlers, and they would be surrounded. If they are an independent country they can get their first, or even get an agreement with the United States with zones of allowed settlement for each country.

Military protection? From who? If they get on well with the Americans they can sign a mutual protection pact with them, in addition to playing off Britain and France against each other. If they don't they won't join them.

Nationalism is not such an all-powerful and overwhelming force as you imply.

I'm not sure how you define "nationalism", but I would say ethnic and religious identity are some of the most powerful forces out there, short of the barrel of a gun. Like I said, do you have any examples of values-based patriotism trumping them?

Eurofed

Banned
You mean like the Spanish American wars of independence, which famously stayed together once achieved, despite having the same language and culture?

Which according to your own view, would have stuck together like glue, having the same culture. :p

Do you have any examples of political affinities and brotherhood-in-arms trumping linguistic and religious differences during state formation in real life?

Like I said, do you have any examples of values-based patriotism trumping them?

Ahem. Let's see, from memory: Switzerland, United Kingdom, South Africa, Malaysia, India....

On the other hand, there are plenty of examples of states breaking up on cultural & religious differences even after the state has formed.

Typically because the reling elite screwed up bad.

At least it has been something that has happened before. How many examples before the 1770s have there been of lasting constutional guarantees? How much exposure would the feudal system in Quebec have had to them?

This is the age where constitutional guarantees were being *invented*.

The way the French Quebecois would have looked at the time would not have noticed such a clear split in pre-1770 decision making. The Anglo Americans hugely cheered on the expulsion, and were also pretty happy about marching off to clear French forts and settlements to make room for Anglo settlement whenever it suited them, without guidance from Westminster.

Counterexample: the Catholic minorities in the 13 Colonies had lived undisturbed for a fairly long time, and the Patriots showed no sign of moving to kick them out (the way they did with Loyalists). To loot the possessions of your exiled neighbor is hardly a commendable behavior, but in a reversed position, French colonists would have done the same.

If you've given up fiscal policy, you've given up independence. The Quebecois are simply not going to be happy about handing over their money to an Anglo-dominated government.

Following this line of reasoning, it is a miracle that states like the USA and Switzerland arose at all, and anything beyond the city-state level ever formed, since particularism must always triumph.

What are the advantages of infrastructure from the federal rather than the Quebec government? Besides, Quebec is pretty well served by the St. Lawrence River system and the Great Lakes. It is much preferable to keep the money in your own hands and plan it locally.

What use have nation-states ? Quick, let's go back to Middle-Ages Communes, since decentralization always works so much better. One wonders why mankind ever bothered to evolve societies more complex than the tribe.

As for colonial expansion, this is something the Quebecois would be most worried about. As part of a union, expansion to the West would be open to Anglo settlers, and they would be surrounded. If they are an independent country they can get their first, or even get an agreement with the United States with zones of allowed settlement for each country.

In pretty much all cases, French settlers in an American Canada would get first cut of settlement in the region above the Great Lakes, and they can leverage their political weight as a regional block into getting investment for the development of the Canadian states.

Military protection? From who?

European colonial powers, one of them they just finished fighting off, of course.

Anyway, I'm starting to seriously doubt this discussion would go to a productive end, given how much radically our opinions on the supposedly irresistible might of particularism diverge. I cannot share your apparent ardent belief in all-powerful Balkanization for a moment, which I realize goes beyond the specific historic case of early North American colonies.

I'm not sure how you define "nationalism", but I would say ethnic and religious identity are some of the most powerful forces out there, short of the barrel of a gun.

One wonders how the USA have missed so far to descend into a free-for-all civil war between the various ethnic and religious communities, then, and why the only one they had was fought about another kind of difference entirely.

This board's clichè of the ARW patriots hating their fellow Canadian colonists' guts is besides way annoying, horrendously exaggerated.

1) There was a sizable Catholic minority within the 13 Colonies that enjoyed full civil and political rights political equality: there are signatures of Catholics on the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Conversely, there is not *one* documentary evidence of a significant political drive during the creation of the USA to deny Catholics full equality, either at the state or federal level. As for French language, back then it was the second language of culture for educated American elites. There is a distinct lack of Protestant mobs during the ARW howling for the blood of Catholics.

2) The leaders of the American Revolution were quite eager to bring Canada onboard, as proved by the invitation letters they sent to the Quebecois during the ARW, and the pre-approval for membership of Canada in the Articles of Confederation.

3) The one and only thing that the Patriots were (mightly) pissed off about the Quebec Act, is that by carving up the trans-Allegheny territory to Quebec, London was closing it off to settlers from the 13 colonies.

I agree in principle. However, there are a lot of examples in colonial history of strong anti-catholic tendencies. For example, see New England captivity stories which chronicle colonists kidnapped in mourning wars by various native tribes. The colonists then tended to conflate these tribes with the French in New France, particularly during the French & Indian / 7 Years War. So, there are some strong anti-catholic roots and parsing the motives of all the different people within the Revolutionary movment is a pretty difficult and sweeping task.

Which according to your own view, would have stuck together like glue, having the same culture. :p

No, not at all. My argument is that either religious or cultural commonality across geography tends to be a requisite for state formation, it is not the only one that is needed however.

Ahem. Let's see, from memory: Switzerland, United Kingdom, South Africa, Malaysia, India....
The United Kingdom was founded as a Protestant power. When they tried to incorporate Catholic Ireland into the mix it had to be done down the barrell of a gun.

South Africa was founded as a state down the barrell of a gun by the British. That it didn't split up afterwards isn't evidence that all the ethnic groups would have voluntarily come together without force.

Singapore and Malaysia split from each other due to Malay-Chinese division.

India, in case you didn't know, had the most violent and bloody partition along religious lines in world history.

Switzerland is the only one you've got a case for, and this was a strictly confederate system where all the power was at the local level, and where each individual canton would not have been a viable state on its own. Quebec is.

Typically because the reling elite screwed up bad.
This seems like a pretty poor explanation for the sheer number of events that happened. And typically, the "screw ups" of the ruling elite were because the ruling elite also shared the nationalist sentiment of the masses. The basic problem is that people inevitably think of the other group as different, and then suffer from group biases.

This is the age where constitutional guarantees were being *invented*.
Indeed, so what motivation would the Quebecois have to trust these guarantees against a people that have called them "papists" and "slaves, and regularly tried to push them off land in the Ohio country? Particularly when the system of government they've been used to was arbitrary monarchy.

Counterexample: the Catholic minorities in the 13 Colonies had lived undisturbed for a fairly long time, and the Patriots showed no sign of moving to kick them out (the way they did with Loyalists).
I actually think the linguistic cultural division is a bigger one than the religious split. But the worry is not about being kicked out (they're too numerous for that to happen) but in being forced to having to accept English law and possibly an established church, either from central authority, or from immigration from the South changing the voting demographics in Quebec.

To loot the possessions of your exiled neighbor is hardly a commendable behavior, but in a reversed position, French colonists would have done the same.
Yes, I agree the French would have done the same! That's the sort of division I'm talking about!

Following this line of reasoning, it is a miracle that states like the USA and Switzerland arose at all, and anything beyond the city-state level ever formed, since particularism must always triumph.
Switzerland was tiny cantons that stuck to their own affairs with no real power at the central level for centuries, mainly because they were inviable states on their own. The USA did not exactly have an easy time forming and staying together. It certainly had pretty major divisions over handing over tax to fund infrastructure some of them did not have a need for, but at least it had a common culture and language to understand each other.

If you are arguing that Quebec could come into an extremely loose arrangement similar to the old Swiss Confederacy or the Articles of Confederation, then that's something I could accept. But they wouldn't accept anything more centralised than that, even if they were judged to have failed.

What use have nation-states ? Quick, let's go back to Middle-Ages Communes, since decentralization always works so much better. One wonders why mankind ever bothered to evolve societies more complex than the tribe.
Largely because one King built an army and forced everyone else to be in the same state. Or in the latter part of history, because people that spoke the same language felt part of a common community.

In pretty much all cases, French settlers in an American Canada would get first cut of settlement in the region above the Great Lakes, and they can leverage their political weight as a regional block into getting investment for the development of the Canadian states.
I'm talking about West of the lakes so they don't get encircled. Can you really imagine the English states accepting settlement limited below the 49th parallel out to the Pacific? Would they accept limits on movements between states so Quebec isn't threatened by Anglo immigration? Why would they prefer to be a small power having to lobby for investment rather than deciding all policy for themselves? "Investment" in this time generally means railways and canals - what need would Quebec have for that given their already navigable river and lake systems?

European colonial powers, one of them they just finished fighting off, of course.
Quebec would know the USA would fight to stop a colonial power trying to reestablish itself to the North. That's true with or without its independence.

One wonders how the USA have missed so far to descend into a free-for-all civil war between the various ethnic and religious communities, then, and why the only one they had was fought about another kind of difference entirely.
Firstly, because those minorities quickly assimilated to Anglo language and culture. Secondly, the ethnic and religious communities did not have contiguous geographic area like Quebec had. The main people in US territory that did were the Native Americans, who got pushed aside and put in reserves. Another example is the Anglos in Mexico, who pretty quickly pushed for separation.

Of course, post-state formation, it's harder for a viable minority state to occur, because it has to overcome status quo bias, and the threat of force from the central authority, but we don't have those problems here. If Quebec is conquered by the USA by force, and then is kept in the union for 50 years, I could accept they then might have reluctance to leave - but there would certainly be constant squabbling about it, like in Canada.

Anyway, I'm starting to seriously doubt this discussion would go to a productive end, given how much radically our opinions on the supposedly irresistible might of particularism diverge. I cannot share your apparent ardent belief in all-powerful Balkanization for a moment, which I realize goes beyond the specific historic case of early North American colonies.
I'm not arguing for Balkanization - I'm arguing for the absence of Yugoslavisation in the first place. You seem to be under the belief that the North American colonies were naturally unified and it takes powerful forces to split them up. In fact, the reverse is true. In OTL it took a hell of a lot of effort to bring them together above all the obstacles. I simply don't believe those bringing together forces are larger than the obstacles in the Quebec case.

Fair enough if you don't think either of us has much to add to the discussion that hasn't already been said. Enjoyed debating with you.

I'd say if the British had tried to intervene on the Confederate side in the Civil War and the Union either won anyways, they would have gotten their revenge on GB by invading Canada. Whether they could have taken it is another story.

Admittedly, it was the PQ (a slip of one letter, sorry) that passed the so-called Charter of the French Language, which, according to everything I read about it, stands as a rather nasty piece of linguistic discrimination for English-speaker minorities.

I disagree strongly. Please elaborate on why you think this is a nasty piece of discrimination?

The Charter lets the English community that has lived in Quebec and has established here since 200 years to continue to have the right to send their kids to English schools and to have English institutions (funded by the Quebec government). The Charter requires that EVERYONE ELSE go to French schools. Why is that unreasonable? When I go live in Italy, your country, I learn Italian and participate in society in Italian; when I go to Germany I learn German and participate in society in German. That is what the Charter basically says about people who choose to live in Quebec; learn and use the language of society established in the place.

The Charter aims to protect the French language in Quebec in light of the predominance of the English language in North America. Didn't you say that Quebec has the right to protect their language? Or are you and the American patriots, which you claim would have allowed Quebec to protect its language, blowing smoke?

The Charter lets the English community that has lived in Quebec and has established here since 200 years to continue to have the right to send their kids to English schools and to have English institutions (funded by the Quebec government). The Charter requires that EVERYONE ELSE go to French schools. Why is that unreasonable? When I go live in Italy, your country, I learn Italian and participate in society in Italian; when I go to Germany I learn German and participate in society in German. That is what the Charter basically says about people who choose to live in Quebec; learn and use the language of society established in the place.

I'm pretty sure if I moved to Italy or Germany I would be legally allowed to send my kid to an English school.

Again with the Quebec thing. I'm not going to go deep into it, but you're really overstating Quebec's cohesiveness with the rest of the US, especially that it's entirely contingent on (1) the rest of the US giving major concessions to Quebec and (2) the fact they fight a war together they'll be best friends and forget all their past trouble forever. Canada has fought wars alongside people from Quebec since the Boer War and around 35-40% still want out.

Best time to take over Canada is actually during the Revolutionary War. Keep Arnold from joining the British, more victories in towards Upper Canada, get rid of Brant early, use Glen's PoD (or something similar) to keep Guy Carlton out of Quebec (he was too damned nice and made so many concessions to them :p) and you pretty much have it. Britain could be reduced from anywhere to rump Nova Scotia to maybe Sable Island or something.

I disagree strongly. Please elaborate on why you think this is a nasty piece of discrimination?

The Charter aims to protect the French language in Quebec in light of the predominance of the English language in North America. Didn't you say that Quebec has the right to protect their language? Or are you and the American patriots, which you claim would have allowed Quebec to protect its language, blowing smoke?

It's wrong because (1) it restricts your freedom unnecessarily and (2) it's racist. Point (1) comes from the fact that in Italy and Germany, you most certainly can send your kids to English schooling if you want. There's private schools that do it; I've had friends in them (both actually). And for point (2), you have to prove you had an English-speaking grandparent to be allowed in. It's pretty ridiculous.

On the flip side, there are some people in Quebec who only want their kids learning English and feel so entitled as to not learn French. It's a problem, but I don't see this legislation as actually being the solution to it, but I definitely understand the original sentiment. If you live in Quebec you should try to speak French, or else why are you living in Quebec.

Last edited:
No discrimination. Defence of a local minority's language. English is in no way threatened. Frankly. Federalists defend this law fiercely as well.
I think it would be better to specify that Quebec francophone federalists defend the law. Most anglophone federalists whether in Quebec or ROC still hate the law but choose to live with it as long as Quebec independence remains a realisble goal.

Stop listening to such thrivel. We threat anglophones actually VERY well. Better than the francophones out of Quebec at least, francophones of Louisiana, britishes did to welshes, etc...
agreed

if this was so inical, Québec Solidaire, our 'goddamn accursed commie hippies' (which I vote for) would fight it, believe me.
yuck. You vote Québec Solidaire? Oh well. To each its own. I am a François Legault person.

I'm pretty sure if I moved to Italy or Germany I would be legally allowed to send my kid to an English school.

Point (1) comes from the fact that in Italy and Germany, you most certainly can send your kids to English schooling if you want. There's private schools that do it; I've had friends in them (both actually).

Are there any publicly-funded English schools by the national governments of those countries? You can still send your kid to English school in Quebec as long as it is a private school.

A
On the flip side, there are some people in Quebec who only want their kids learning English and feel so entitled as to not learn French. It's a problem, but I don't see this legislation as actually being the solution to it,

I can't see any other solution to the problem.

but I definitely understand the original sentiment. If you live in Quebec you should try to speak French, or else why are you living in Quebec.
I agree. You should keep your own language and culture in Quebec but you should also learn the societal language in Quebec which is French.

Are there any publicly-funded English schools by the national governments of those countries? You can still send your kid to English school in Quebec as long as it is a private school.

Of course not. But Quebec language laws apply to all schooling, including private schools, as does the rule of pedigree for an English-speaking parent, grandparent, parent who's done schooling extensively elsewhere in Canada or if you're First Nations. So while I could go to a French private school, my dad couldn't were he theoretically younger and tried to apply :D.

Mike said:
I can't see any other solution to the problem.

There's lots of options, starting with dialogue with the private schools offering these programs themselves and aggressively marketing the utility of French to anglophones and immigrants (and is incredibly useful), trying to broker joint French/English instruction for new immigrants so they can learn both. Employing tactics like these has just fostered resentment in Quebec in the Anglophone and Allophone minority and among immigrants; even for people who think it's stupidest to just educate your kid completely in English.

Anyway, we're getting OT. Perhaps start a thread in the chat sub-forum if we want to discuss this more thoroughly :D

Private schools in Italy get state fundings. I'm not sure, but I suppose that some English/American/French schools have a share of that. (most goes to Catholic schools, of course, and there's a fuss when someone tries to open private Muslim schools).

In general, societies more complex than the tribe happened only at the point of a spear/sword/gun.

In the case of the Middle-Ages, the arrival of gunpowder rendered the prevailing system of fortifications obsolete. This allowed the Kings to wage war upon those who were nominally their own people until the free cities and free communes were crushed under their heel and the guilds heavily regulated by laws created by the monarch.

Of course, the Articles of Confederation are decentralized enough to get Canada into the United States, and once there it becomes significantly easier to keep them in during the centralization represented by the Constitution.

Last edited: