Best Artillery Gun of WW2?

Try to do them by category, if you can, otherwise pick best over all. I'm unsure really how this works, so do explain your choice, and why it was so effective compared to others at the time.

Besides that, it has to have had wide spread usage in World War 2, so nothing that was made on the tail of the conflict that got very little usage, for example.

Now, go!:)

I'd say Soviet Model 1937 15.2 cm howitzer-gun. Used by everyone who got their hands on it. Alternatively a 1938 model howitzer of the same caliber.

The British 25-pounder. Any gun that can be fired so fast that a captured German officer once asked if he could see "the magazine-fed British artillery" demands some serious respect. :D

The US M114 Howitzer. Still used today by various armies that have the purchasing power to acquire more modern equipment, which means that it must be good enough to last.

Maybe an example of a mature weapon design?

Light Infantry Support Howitzer- Obice da 75/18 modello 35
Light howitzer - 105mm M2A1
Medium Howitzer - 155mm M1
Heavy Howitzer - 8'' M1
Light Gun - 76,2mm Zis3
Medium Gun - 155mm M1A1
Heavy Gun - 17cm Kanone 18
light AA gun - Bofors 40mm
medium AA gun - 90mm M2
Heavy AA gun - 12.8cm Flak 40
Best light AT - 57mm Zis2
Best heavy AT - 100mm BS-3
Best railway gun - 38cm Siegfried K(E)

Andre27

Banned
Really the best over all though, or in its category?

There is not a single gun which is best over all. When you try to rate an artillery gun like that you end it with compromises.

E.g. a 17 pounder trumps a 25 pounder in AT role, but when you want to take a building down you want the 25 pounder.

The Japanese gun is superb for the jungle. Good quality, easy to use, light, high elevation. Does it have the firepower of a long tom or 152mm?

No, but if you're in the jungle this gun is close to perfection.

There is not a single gun which is best over all. When you try to rate an artillery gun like that you end it with compromises.

E.g. a 17 pounder trumps a 25 pounder in AT role, but when you want to take a building down you want the 25 pounder.

The Japanese gun is superb for the jungle. Good quality, easy to use, light, high elevation. Does it have the firepower of a long tom or 152mm?

No, but if you're in the jungle this gun is close to perfection.

Well, true, but I think I added best in its category too, but yes, your point is fair then.

When I joined up my unit was equipped with the British BL 5.5" Medium Gun, so I have a soft spot for them. In practical terms, however, the 25-pounder got a lot more use and would probably be my pick for best all-round light artillery piece of the war.
For medium artillery, the Soviet M1937 152mm was pretty damn good. It also went on to a long and successful post-war career, so it's a strong contender for best medium.

The US M114 Howitzer. Still used today by various armies that have the purchasing power to acquire more modern equipment, which means that it must be good enough to last.

Maybe an example of a mature weapon design?

The M2/M101 105mm Howitzer is up there as well. The Baltic states just bought some despite the design dating back to the '20s.

25pdr

The 25pdr being nominated shows how emotional factors displace pratical realities. The 25pdr lacked the split trail that its rivals had, requiring a cumbersome wheel mount to have the rapid traverse its box trail prevented, the box trail also reducing elevation, and the caliber (88mm) was also a compromise, lacking the destructive powewr of a 105mm shell. It was handy, and since it was neither a gun nor a howitzer but a bit of both it was popular. But next to the superb US 105mm, with its split trail, excelent ammo, and outsanding durability and praticability, it was too old fashioned.
Of course many will be quick to point out that the much loved L118 Light Gun shares many of this same faults. The light gun was meant as a weapon for artillery elements of light infantry units, and that limited role justifies its peculiarities. So if the 25pdr had been meant for the same limited role, it would have been great, it was the fact that it was meant at the time for field artilery roles that leads me to label it as inferior to other contemporary designs.

I don't think I could pick one single weapon. There were several excellent artillery pieces of WW2, the 25pdr (not technically a gun, however :p), the 17pdr, 3.7inch and 88 all spring to mind.