Astonishing the World, Mk2: Kinda New, Somewhat Improved!!

Nekromans, can we assume that TTL Democrats will stay strong in the slaveholding states and a third party in (parts of) a few others, but that they will vanish from most present and future states?

The rump United States of Mexico will be an excellent buffer state between the Kingdom of Mexico and the US and Confederacy, if they stay independent.

If the Liberal Democrats are the less hostile to the Union, they will be strong in Tennessee, among industrialists and perhaps in the cities and among ethnic and religious minorities.
Who gets the urban poor votes and the rural votes from places without proper conditions for slavery (deserts, swamps, mountains)?

The Voxers and Veritists suggest a multiparty troubled future for both US and Confederacy.;)

Don't know how I missed this! Sorry for the late reply!

Nekromans, can we assume that TTL Democrats will stay strong in the slaveholding states and a third party in (parts of) a few others, but that they will vanish from most present and future states?

Hmm... yes. That seems fair enough.

[qutoee]The rump United States of Mexico will be an excellent buffer state between the Kingdom of Mexico and the US and Confederacy, if they stay independent.[/quote]

Again, sounds about right. The Americans may be angry about the violation of the Monroe Doctrine, but the result couldn't have gone better - Mexico is practically theirs, and they own Juarez now.

If the Liberal Democrats are the less hostile to the Union, they will be strong in Tennessee, among industrialists and perhaps in the cities and among ethnic and religious minorities.
Who gets the urban poor votes and the rural votes from places without proper conditions for slavery (deserts, swamps, mountains)?

LD would probably get Urban Poor - they're the more progressive party. The ID would likely win the rural areas simply by campaigning against change - from what I can tell, poor rural areas are conservative gold.

The Voxers and Veritists suggest a multiparty troubled future for both US and Confederacy.;)

Engimatic silence! :)

So I've been translating the ATW world into a Timelined form, to best figure out what's going on in it. As I plotted the years 62-65, I realised I should have something in Europe - we haven't seen anything of them since '60, unless you count the brief appearance in the Invasion of Mexico. So I decided to write in a little conflict to ginger things up. Only it got a bit bigger than I expected...

Here's what I've planned so far. Tell me what's terribly wrong and I will either explain in a patronising manner or retcon. Deal?

Mad King Ludwig of Baden recovers ITTL instead of dying. He marries Princess Alice (Victoria's daughter) and they have a child in 1864 - Prince Leopold, let's say, it sounds a good name for both families. Then Ludwig dies. Naturally, Alice will be Regent, what with her being the child's mother- WRONG. Prince Frederick, Ludwig's younger brother, claims that title. The statesmen of Baden are divided on this matter, and an initial Courtly Dispute descends into a civil war.

Britain, of course, is supportive of Plucky British Princess taking on Evil German Conspiracy, and the level of popular support in Britain prompts Bismarck to support her, hoping to get Britain on his side in any potential match against the Kaiserbund (and possibly to get Baden into the NDU). Unfortunately for Alice, Frederick is pro-Austrian, and has expressed a desire to re-enter Baden into the German Confederation. Imperial France and Austria make it clear that they recognise him as Regent of Baden above all others.

The Regency question strikes a chord in Russia, where Grand Duke Nicholas is acting as Regent for his sickly nephew, Tsar Nicholas II (Alexander II's son). Alexander died a year after taking office, meaning that his ideas for liberal reform have been scrapped, and political dissent is mounting as the Regent seeks to consolidate his power and become the designated heir to the Tsar, at which point it will no doubt emerge that the sickly young man is dead - if he still lives.

One policy on which the Regent has the full support of the Russian people is revenge on Prussia. Bismarck stole Poland from the Rodina, gave it a German King, robbed Russia of her dignity. Any excuse for war will be used without hesitation.

So. France intervenes in the war. Prussia gets pissed. France and Austria and Russia and Saxony invade, each seeking their own grudge match for services rendered. Prussia falls, and signs away what amounts to the Corridor and most of Prussian Saxony, as well as a good chunk of Lower Silesia. Humiliation. Russia annexes Poland again.

Britain invades France before Prussia falls, to prevent an Imbalance of Power on the continent, and begins a slow-but-steady campaign south to Paris, carving a path through Normandy and Picardy to the capital, taking approximately a year and a half. The Emperor is captured, and a ceasefire signed. The British occupiers suppresses radical uprisings, but Napoleon cannot prevent the Empire's downfall, and the re-establishment of a Republic.

In America, the United States and Mexico take advantage of the situation in Europe to kick twenty different kinds of crap out of the Kingdom of Mexico. British forces in the Caribbean happily jump on board this war, aiding a secession in Yucatan and establishing a protectorate over the new republic. The Kingdom is truncated, but does not fall entirely, and the Treaty of Monterrey establishes a Free City of Veracruz, as well as a a general expansion of the USM southwards into Royal Mexico. Yucatan is recognised, much to the disgust of both Mexicos.

Plausible?

And yes, this means Bismarck would be defeated. I'm sure this could happen - he's not quite as Magnificently Bastardly as OTL makes out.

Hello?

~The sound echoes off distant cliffs~

Sorry, I hadn't read that bit...

Go for it... It sounds like an exciting addition to the TL... :cool:

(We will probably need a few maps, though... ;))

Oh, and one more thing - why doensn't the Republic of Mexico have Durango?

It just makes the border rather messy IMO...

Seems a bit odd that the British are able to capture Paris outright without any help, even if France is distracted in Germany, couldn't its Allies take up some of the brunt of the work so it could defend itself?

Seems a bit odd that the British are able to capture Paris outright without any help, even if France is distracted in Germany, couldn't its Allies take up some of the brunt of the work so it could defend itself?

I just made up battles and flipped coins to determine their outcome, not any real military decisions. Britain gradually pushed forwards, with some withdrawals here and there. To be honest, that was the bit I was most worried about.

Maybe it would be good to stress that the Kingdom of Mexico would be mauled essentially by foreign powers. The rump United States of Mexico would be small in terms of population to effectively undermine the Kingdom of Mexico, unless there was a strong republican guerrilla (or popular support for the Republic) there.

An independent Yucatan would require the absence of a Mayan guerrilla, a continuous friendly foreign presence (even if small) and also a very centralist Kingdom of Mexico (to antagonize the local elites against the Kingdom of Mexico) to ensure a safer survival for an independent Yucatan.

I hope this helps.:)

Maybe it would be good to stress that the Kingdom of Mexico would be mauled essentially by foreign powers. The rump United States of Mexico would be small in terms of population to effectively undermine the Kingdom of Mexico, unless there was a strong republican guerrilla (or popular support for the Republic) there.

An independent Yucatan would require the absence of a Mayan guerrilla, a continuous friendly foreign presence (even if small) and also a very centralist Kingdom of Mexico (to antagonize the local elites against the Kingdom of Mexico) to ensure a safer survival for an independent Yucatan.

I hope this helps.:)

WRT the United States of Mexico - I had it being a buffer state at the end of the First Mexican War, but then being promoted to fully-fledged Rival at the end of the second. Royal Mexico was fairly unpopular in the North, which is why Union Mexico can annex it so easily, but has stronger support the closer you get to Mexico City.

Yucatan - it's effectively a British protectorate, heavily "advised" by the Caribbean officals, and they are aiding in the repression of the Mayan guerilla movement. I agree with the centralist Kingdom.

This helps a lot - thanks!

…While the Southern Secession itself was undoubtedly inevitable, there is the chance that it may have been delayed for some time, were it not for the actions of Senator Abraham Lincoln. ...Lincoln quickly made a name for himself, putting his name to a great deal of anti-slavery legislation, gaining a following in the North (and numerous death threats in the South).

His most famous bill, though, was undoubtedly the Free Territory Proposal. Were this to be enacted, it would rescind the Kansas-Nebraska Act in its entirety, meaning that free-soil status would be the default status in all territories (with a plebiscite upon statehood as to slavery in that state).
Never.:eek::eek: Lincoln, as Senator, was perfectly happy, as he expressly said, to leave the South to maintain slavery if it wished. He believed slavery as an institution would, must, eventually come to an end (a view shared by the likes of Robert Lee, BTW), but would have taken no action, even as President, to compel:eek: its end; he saw no need for that. Take a look at Doris Kearns-Goodwin's excellent Team of Rivals.
Feel free to jump blindly to conclusions! :)
The Greek king will someday be Bruno Gerussi:p:p & Greece will become the 6h province of Canada, just before Saskatchewan & Alberta.:p By 1910, only the Indians & the bison will be left in Saskatchewan, everyone else having moved to Greece.:D
and leave us both looking like tits (great, warmed).
What's wrong with looking like tits?:p:D

Last edited:
**WARNING WARNING COP-OUT SECTION AHEAD**

Okay, so since I am quite definitely Not Good at writing economics, and as I need an economic catastrophe here, I'll just put this disclaimer in for now. Contributions towards this section would be extremely welcome.

So, basically, the year is 1863. economic disaster knocks the Union into a depression not unlike the Great. The Confederation and trading-Europe suffer somewhat as a result, but not to the extent that the US did.

** WE NOW RETURN TO AN OTHERWISE OKAY TIMELINE**
I admire your honesty.:D
The Powers of Europe
Have you established the 1815 Congress of Vienna TTL? OTL, it was where the term Great Power was first used...
[6] Alliteration Criminal Strikes Again: Police Puzzled.
:D:D:D

Fatal Wit

Banned
Absolutely no chance England could capture Paris.

After all, the French can easily recall troops from the East to defend Paris- defeating Prussia won't require the whole French amry, considering Prussia is also defending against Austria and Russia.

The Brits would be idiots to try it.